Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I thought a whole load of hype videos of people playing on it were meant to be coming out today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

hostile apostle posted:

Xcloud is 720p on Android phones only, and from most accounts nearly unplayable for many games like FPS due to latency. PSNow has the same latency issues. Sounds more to me more like the biggest problem for Microsoft is that they have to play catch up. Google was ahead of where they are today a year ago with Project Stream.

Google is absolutely behind in content, but tech is certainly not the weak point. In the end this is a content business, but the tech has to be there too.

Google are not morons - they're not going to sell games for $60 when other stores are selling them for $12.

This is the intoxicating magic of the true believer. Real released things held to the standard of a theoretical future thing. And the present tense is used throughout.

xCloud is Android-only today. Stadia is Nothing-only today and will be Pixel-only (a subset of Android) at launch. And you’ll need to plug in your controller. Microsoft has managed the voodoo power of having wireless controllers be wireless.

Maybe Stadia’s tech will be dramatically better at launch. Maybe they cut all the other promised features and all the basic QoL like having a working storefront to maintain laser focus on top notch streaming. We’ll see. For now, we’re seeing a real (free) public beta against a soon to launch paid beta and the only thing going for the paid beta is our hopes and dreams.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

notaspy posted:

I thought a whole load of hype videos of people playing on it were meant to be coming out today?

Embargo lifts at noon Eastern, apparently.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Xcloud isn't a "real released thing", there's a reason no real impression videos exist.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't really understand why the Google people keep hand waving away the major problems with broadband infrastructure in the US which is going to make it difficult for them to be able to grow this service.

Funny story: I talked to a guy at PAX West about this for work, asked him this exact question, and he proceeded to talk for a solid five minutes straight and not actually answer the question.

I think there's some assumption on Google's part that, when it comes to Stadia, wishing will make things happen. Alternatively, the real tech here is that they're going to sell at least one Stadia to every single person in South Korea and that will justify the investment.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Weren't Google laying out their own full fibre internet cables across America at some point? (In traditional tech world fashion I think they started in like 3 different neighbourhoods of different cities).

Maybe Stadia was supposed to be the grand culmination of that network and nobody told the dev team it hadn't happened yet.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There will be two major tests to see if the physics-defying secret sauce is implemented.

1. Fighting games. It's good that Samurai Shodown has been added as a Pro freebie, will be a good test.
2. kbm in anything. One thing I noticed with Geforce Now is that if I play the same game with a controller vs with kbm changes a lot about how noticeable input lag is. Looking around in an FPS or moving a "mouse cursor" with a controller stick can feel fine, but then I switch to mouse for the same game and there's a noticeable perception of lag. It wouldn't completely surprise me if this is where the input prediction is coming from, like some assumptions might be being made based on how your mouse movement is accelerating that it can suss out the next frame because you can't change your mouse movement that fast. It's also not impossible that part of the Stadia-unique code could be doing things like making a mouse pointer be handled "locally" (e.g. your cursor is rendered on your PC or Chromecast Ultra while everything else is a video stream playing in the background, basically).

Looking forward to the hot takes in a little over 4 hours.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Flayer posted:

Weren't Google laying out their own full fibre internet cables across America at some point? (In traditional tech world fashion I think they started in like 3 different neighbourhoods of different cities).

Maybe Stadia was supposed to be the grand culmination of that network and nobody told the dev team it hadn't happened yet.

They were! It just failed completely in a bunch of cities so who knows how its going to go forward.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/7/18215743/google-fiber-leaving-louisville-service-ending

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Flayer posted:

They distrupted the "putting cable in the ground" industry by burying their fibre 2 inches deep and when that predictably failed they immediately lost interest and killed the project.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Wheany posted:

They distrupted the "putting cable in the ground" industry by burying their fibre 2 inches deep and when that predictably failed they immediately lost interest and killed the project.

Microtrenching wasn't invented by Google and certainly works all around the world.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lambert posted:

Microtrenching

Please don't post my signature sex move.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Flayer posted:

I’ve been told that none of Google’s experience in trying to be an ISP and running media services means they should have something to say about the operational environment they’re trying to deploy their new product in. It’s not a problem that they hand wave away the infrastructure issues because they can’t be expected to do anything about it, like talk about data center sharing with existing ISPs, negotiate to lift caps, or other investments.

:shrug:

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Fallom posted:

I’ve been told that none of Google’s experience in trying to be an ISP and running media services means they should have something to say about the operational environment they’re trying to deploy their new product in. It’s not a problem that they hand wave away the infrastructure issues because they can’t be expected to do anything about it, like talk about data center sharing with existing ISPs, negotiate to lift caps, or other investments.

:shrug:

This, but sarcastically

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if this things succeeds it will literally kill all hope and freedom in the industry

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

if this things succeeds it will literally kill all hope and freedom in the industry

everyone who knows about this thing is treating it like a joke with the exception of google cultists so that's encouraging

it all comes down to how much google decides to use its infinite wealth to brute-force it into the market

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Endorph posted:

There was still hope and freedom in the industry?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Endorph posted:

Seems a bit extreme. Care to expound?

If it succeeds it will be because it provides a superior experience. No downloads, no consumer hardware cycles, new cloud enabled game experiences, seamless experience across devices - there are many areas in which cloud gaming will improve how gaming is done today.

That doesn't mean it's for EVERYONE in all situations 24/7, and success doesn't mean PC gaming goes away. It doesn't mean consoles go away either. There are 3 consoles and PC gaming already coexisting today.

As a platform this is no different to pubs than what Sony or Microsoft offer. If anything it's better for them with direct distribution.

What should really kill your hope and freedom in the industry was MS and Sony on their buying spree sucking up all the development studios.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1196447880728453120

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Can we get a master list of which goon pre-ordered / ordered this piece of poo poo? So we can have a definitive catalogue of who here is an actual idiot.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I feel half of the goons that bought it just wanted a front row ticket to the poo poo show.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

univbee posted:

There was still hope and freedom in the industry?

Well, no more nude mods in Skyrim, that's for sure. And that's a bridge I'm not willing to cross.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hostile apostle posted:

Seems a bit extreme. Care to expound?

If it succeeds it will be because it provides a superior experience. No downloads, no consumer hardware cycles, new cloud enabled game experiences, seamless experience across devices - there are many areas in which cloud gaming will improve how gaming is done today.

That doesn't mean it's for EVERYONE in all situations 24/7, and success doesn't mean PC gaming goes away. It doesn't mean consoles go away either. There are 3 consoles and PC gaming already coexisting today.

As a platform this is no different to pubs than what Sony or Microsoft offer. If anything it's better for them with direct distribution.

What should really kill your hope and freedom in the industry was MS and Sony on their buying spree sucking up all the development studios.
google has way more money than MS and sony

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Glenn Quebec posted:

Can we get a master list of which goon pre-ordered / ordered this piece of poo poo? So we can have a definitive catalogue of who here is an actual idiot.

BexGu posted:

I feel half of the goons that bought it just wanted a front row ticket to the poo poo show.

I’m on both of these lists, but I canceled my order last week as the release got closer with ZERO demonstration of a functional product. I’ll just watch the goatfuck from a distance, instead.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Giant Bomb brought up a good point about platforms: Stadia games won't be cross-platform, at least for now.

Can you imagine playing niche games like fighting games online with other Stadia players?

I am actually mildly curious about how they implement online FGs just because you're now essentially putting a server between two players, so essentially the person with a lovely latency will suffer from it because the connection between two instances in a data center or two Google data centers should be more reliable than your average connection between two players.

Honestly I'm 99% sure there's no special implementation whatsoever. Maybe you see less hitches/rollback artifacts than on average but it'll feel and play like poo poo. And you wouldn't find a single match anyhow. Actually good rollback netcode for FGs would be the most realistic answer to online FG woes and MK11 already does that unlike Samurai Shodown which is delay-based.

Mind you I don't actually think FGs are realistic part of the service apart from two low-latency players connecting to the same data center with a fibre connection.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Flayer posted:

They gave up when they got even the slightest pushback from local governments and just threw the whole idea away, lol.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

Count me as the idiot who spend $129 on a $70 chromecast ultra and a $70 controller to play RDR2 (which I have not played yet) in actual 4K 60fps and not some upscaled fake 4k on a $350 PS4 Pro which I don't have.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I am "expecting" this to be delivered tomorrow but haven't received an email or a delivery tracking number or anything.

What I find most curious is that they haven't taken payment for it. I have the order email, they put a hold on my bank account but it slipped off a few days later. At this point I am assuming this is the excuse they will use when it doesn't appear, that I haven't paid for it.

What is also bullshit is all these delays haven't been communicated at all. Everything I know is from you lot.

Not that I am that bothered, if it's as poo poo as seems it will be I'll send it back under at least one EU consumer protection law.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hostile apostle posted:

to play RDR2 in actual 4K 60fps

Hey Google, set a reminder for an hour from now to check what compromises Stadia's version of RDR2 implements.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Looking forward to Giantbombs video on this and hoping it'll be a live stream of them not being able to connect to poo poo. Jeff brought in the controller on last weeks Unprofessional Fridays but refused to say anything about it due to the embargo. It does not look much like a Stradivarius.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

notaspy posted:

I am "expecting" this to be delivered tomorrow but haven't received an email or a delivery tracking number or anything.

What I find most curious is that they haven't taken payment for it. I have the order email, they put a hold on my bank account but it slipped off a few days later. At this point I am assuming this is the excuse they will use when it doesn't appear, that I haven't paid for it.

What is also bullshit is all these delays haven't been communicated at all. Everything I know is from you lot.

Not that I am that bothered, if it's as poo poo as seems it will be I'll send it back under at least one EU consumer protection law.

You can see you delivery date on the store orders page. Not everyone is getting theirs day one. I ordered June 30 and mine says "Delivered by Nov 27 – Dec 2" though I am in the US. My experience has been that usually stuff ships out faster than they say when I have ordered phones or other stuff from the Google store.

https://store.google.com/orderhistory

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lodin posted:

Looking forward to Giantbombs video on this and hoping it'll be a live stream of them not being able to connect to poo poo. Jeff brought in the controller on last weeks Unprofessional Fridays but refused to say anything about it due to the embargo. It does not look much like a Stradivarius.

Would an actual Stradivarius controller even work well? Maining a grappler in a fighting game with a controller made of fine wood that's hundreds of years old sounds like a lot of splinters.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

notaspy posted:

Not sure where this extremely embarrassing quote came from (an AMA maybe?) that was posted earlier in this thread, but this is their excuse:

quote:

Let me add some color, since there are a lot of questions around this one. I know you can't wait. Neither can we! Here's what's gonna happen.

The first shipments will leave our warehouse on the 18th to make sure they arrive on the 19th.

We'll ship in the same order as we've received your pre-orders

The tricky bit: moving atoms is a bit more complicated and less predictable than moving bits. So the actual delivery date will depend on the mail truck, traffic lights, etc.
"Oopsie whoopsie, we made a fucky wucky! It turns out moving actual atoms is hard! We won't be able to give you a solid shipping date on account of the trucks and the traffic lights!"

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

hostile apostle posted:

Count me as the idiot who spend $129 on a $70 chromecast ultra and a $70 controller to play RDR2 (which I have not played yet) in actual 4K 60fps and not some upscaled fake 4k on a $350 PS4 Pro which I don't have.

Isn’t the stadia backend hardware demonstrably incapable of playing RDR2 at 4K lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

Isn’t the stadia backend hardware demonstrably incapable of playing RDR2 at 4K lol

Unless RDR2 by itself has some unique more powerful server (but if it did I think Google would have said so) then yeah, no.

Mine shipped (so yes Glenn, add me to the idiot list like everyone else did like 6 years ago), but I think it's with regular Canada Post so will probably only get it closer to the end of the week. I also took a chance in having it delivered to work and might get yelled at for it (and could get a further delay from that, too, didn't realize the package would actually be received elsewhere for internal sorting) but we'll see.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Dessel posted:

Giant Bomb brought up a good point about platforms: Stadia games won't be cross-platform, at least for now.

Can you imagine playing niche games like fighting games online with other Stadia players?

I'm looking forward to playing Red Dead Online and wandering around a deserted wasteland on my own. Then maybe once every few days seeing a stranger in the distance excitedly waving and being like "why hello fellow Stadian!!"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

AdmiralViscen posted:

demonstrably incapable
My bar band name.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lmao

https://twitter.com/MrPhilHarrison/status/1196245130488905728

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

AdmiralViscen posted:

jesus christ lol

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

hostile apostle posted:

The 2080Ti struggles to run RDR2 at 4K 60 fps, so I think we can forget about the Vega GPUs in Stadia servers doing that reliably unless they turn down a number of settings.

Chart from the Gamers Nexus RDR2 GPU video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

At least Football Manager 2020 gives Stadia one game that might be suitable for a streaming platform.