Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I just saw The Big Short, that was a cool movie. I really liked Christian Bale and Steve Carell in it.

I already knew most of it thanks to Matt Taibbi, but it really does show the shitshow the financial system has become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Why not consider the original 1977 Star Wars in its original form a separate stand alone movie different from Star Wars Episode IV -- A New Hope which includes all the edits and added and restored stuff? They'd be able to sell the same product twice and have it fit into two different groups of movies.
For some reason, George Lucas was really obsessed with pretending he had everything planned out from the beginning even though they were just making it all up as they went along. This seemed to include really dumb stuff like wanting people to think that the original movie had always been titled "Episode IV," so there's no way he would have ever have been willing to rerelease copies of the original prints.

To be fair, Star Wars fans seem to eat this poo poo up so maybe Lucas was on to something.

Now that Disney owns the rights there's presumably no reason they couldn't rerelase it, though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 17, 2019

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

To be fair, the basic elements of the Prequels was first published in background info document for the first movie in like 1976 or something.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The MSJ posted:

To be fair, the basic elements of the Prequels was first published in background info document for the first movie in like 1976 or something.
According to the book The Secret History of Star Wars which goes way more into this stuff than I care about :

quote:

After story conferences ended on December 2nd, 1977, Lucas finished his Empire Strikes Back treatment and then Leigh Brackett began writing the first draft screenplay. Finally, on February 23rd, 1978, Brackett finished her first draft of the script, which is essentially identical to the treatment with a few notable elaborations. Tragically, she died from cancer on March 18th.
The first item of note at this point is that Star Wars was not the fourth entry but the first, as discussed earlier, with Empire Strikes Back following as the second chapter. During story meetings between Brackett and Lucas, the film was identified as “Chapter II, The Empire Strikes Back,” (393) and by the time the second draft was finished, the familiar episode listing was in place. (394) However, it was not Episode V, as we now know the film to be—the opening crawl read “Episode II The Empire Strikes Back.” (395)
However, after the second draft, the film would be known as Episode V
. So, what was it that happened? What occurred that suddenly made Lucas take a major step and add another three episodes to the Star Wars story? Obi Wan Kenobi’s tales were already in place, but they were not to be a “prequel” trilogy—they would either continue in the episode listing, which was not necessarily progressing in chronological sequence at the time of the first draft as Gary Kurtz explained, (396) or they would simply be a spin-off. From what Lucas says of it, “One of the sequels,” it appears to be a single, standalone movie, tangential to the main Rebel versus Empire plot. The actual prequel story—the prequel trilogy—would not take shape until after the second draft of Empire Strikes Back.
But I haven't verified any of this so maybe you're right?

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 17, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hope Disney releases unfucked HD versions of the original trilogy someday.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
New season of Jack Ryan was so loving stupid. A daylight helicopter assault on the presidential palace of a sovereign nation? Jack Ryan beating a head of state? The grand conspiracy was Venezuela mining its own natural resources? The too obvious last minute reveal that the senator was in on it the whole time. .

I think I'll pass on Season 3. Such lazy writing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

New season of Jack Ryan was so loving stupid. A daylight helicopter assault on the presidential palace of a sovereign nation? Jack Ryan beating a head of state? The grand conspiracy was Venezuela mining its own natural resources? The too obvious last minute reveal that the senator was in on it the whole time. .

I think I'll pass on Season 3. Such lazy writing.
It was amazingly dumb but I have to admit that I'll probably still watch Season 3.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

veni veni veni posted:

I really hope Disney releases unfucked HD versions of the original trilogy someday.

They never will. Better off just finding Harmy's Despecialized versions.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

They never will. Better off just finding Harmy's Despecialized versions.
Maybe when George Lucas dies unless he made them specifically agree never to release them?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This is Disney, they’ll make up a Star Wars vault from which to produce the unmessed up OT.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

mystes posted:

Maybe when George Lucas dies unless he made them specifically agree never to release them?

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If the thing about Lucas’ Ex-wife being entitled to some of the royalties from the original edits of Star Wars is true then I suspect they’ll happen never.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey I just have a question about this Disney+ stuff.

I was checking out the free trial and was pretty surprised to see that some classics are on 4K that I don't believe ever made it to 4K blu ray (namely stuff like Wall-E, A Bug's Life etc).

So I'm just wondering what's up with these releases? It's just confusing, I collect 4K blu rays and have, to the best of my knowledge, all of the titles that Disney recently released in the lead-up to D+ (Moana, Guardians 1, etc etc etc).

Will these ever make it to 4K disc?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That’s the Disney Vault way of doing business

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I feel like Iger is more the problem here than Lucas. He's not really a dude who strikes me as feeling any responsibility towards film as an art form, and seems actively disdainful of the idea that films should have a life beyond immediately making money for the studio.

While you could argue that this is merely a feature of capitalism, and you would be correct, it's rare to see this actively leaned into to the extent that Iger does.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I watched the first two episodes of Ad Vitam a 6 part French Sci-fi mini-series recently added to Netflix and am finding it really interesting. The basic premise is that it takes place in a future where science has cured aging and the plot revolves around a cop who is investigating a suicide cult which they thought had disappeared 10 years prior but has since resurfaced. They enlist the help of a girl (the lead actress from Raw) who is a survivor of the cult to infiltrate it. The first 20 minutes of set up is kind of clunky but after that I have found it really interesting.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't know if this is a recent thing or not, but I'm in the US and it sure looks like I can stream National Film Board of Canada content for free: https://www.nfb.ca/

At the moment I'm watching a very grotesque CGI cartoon about plastic surgery. https://www.nfb.ca/film/caterpillarplasty/ :NSFW:

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I've been watching The Shield on Hulu on and off for a few months and I finally finished it last night. I'd managed to stay unspoiled for the last couple seasons, but I do remember the finale always seemed to be highly regarded. Anyway, it ruled and really elevated the series as a whole. My major criticism of the show, especially in the middle seasons, was that it seemed like it wanted to have it both ways on Vic. Yeah, he's killed a bunch of people, stolen all kinds of poo poo, and is corrupt as hell, but he's just so cool! And he loves his kids! There was constant criticism of Vic from the other characters but he always comes out ahead and he had way too many "badass" lines for me to ever really believe the show didn't want me to ultimately root for him. This is in contrast to something like Breaking Bad and its portrayal of Walter, although obviously a ton of people thought he was mega cool too. I'm not saying I wanted him to be a one-dimensional villain, but a lot of the time he felt like a teenage boy's idea of a badass.

Anyway, I was really satisfied with how it turned out for him. Yeah, he technically gets away with it at the expense of everything else in his life. The part where's he confessing everything to the feds and they're just like "holy gently caress, what the hell is wrong with you" was great. The scenes of him being shown around the office do a great job of selling just how horrific this is for him.

And Walton Goggins, man. That guy! It seemed weird to me at first that he went from this and Justified to Danny McBride, but there was one moment in here where he was like "Well, I got some meth and a little weed, oh and some blow but I had to do most of it..." where I had a vision of his Vice Principals character.

edit: I think my favorite part is that the super important detective work hinges entirely on two people answering a landline call at the same time on separate phones so the other one can listen in. I used to do that to my older brother when I was a kid. The show's pretty dated in some ways, but that part cracked me up.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 18, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I wonder if Kurt Sutter had more input on those middle seasons. Sounds like him from what you describe.

Yeah it really is a great show and the scenes you put in spoilers are loving fantastic. I remember the TVIV thread losing their minds when that happened.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm also just watching The Shield for the 1st time. S1 was kinda... meh. The individual episode stories were mostly boring or not very compelling but the S1 overall story arc was good enough to stay in. By the time it gets halfway through S2 though it's really up and humming. I just finished up S3 yesterday.

Also watching it mostly because I like Walton Goggins a lot and had also heard just how good the ending is, definitely did not click on the spoiler above.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I thought they'd do it as soon as the ink was dry on the sale but apparently not. It's basically a freebie as far as drumming up good will from Star Wars fans.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

TOOT BOOT posted:

I thought they'd do it as soon as the ink was dry on the sale but apparently not. It's basically a freebie as far as drumming up good will from Star Wars fans.

They're waiting for the 50th anniversary of ANH.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

That Works posted:

I'm also just watching The Shield for the 1st time. S1 was kinda... meh. The individual episode stories were mostly boring or not very compelling but the S1 overall story arc was good enough to stay in. By the time it gets halfway through S2 though it's really up and humming. I just finished up S3 yesterday.

Also watching it mostly because I like Walton Goggins a lot and had also heard just how good the ending is, definitely did not click on the spoiler above.

At a certain point I just started skipping all the episodic procedural stuff with Dutch and Claudette.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Does "On Becoming a God in Central Florida" get any better later on? I watched the first two episodes and was like, yeah, the acting is good from everyone involved (apart from Skarsgard, he seems miscast), but otherwise, eh.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lurker2006 posted:

At a certain point I just started skipping all the episodic procedural stuff with Dutch and Claudette.

In S2/S3 I'm really enjoying the Dutch and Claudette banter / mutual respect except for when out of nowhere Dutch kills the stray cat... wtf... wtf... Later on he adopts a kitten, please tell me Dutch doesn't become a psychopath .

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

mike12345 posted:

Does "On Becoming a God in Central Florida" get any better later on? I watched the first two episodes and was like, yeah, the acting is good from everyone involved (apart from Skarsgard, he seems miscast), but otherwise, eh.

I didn’t watch past the first episode. I do agree acting is great, but something about the show just seemed off. It kind of felt like the show was trying too hard. I have been thinking about giving it a spin again.

The biggest shock I had with the show is finding out a few weeks ago the character Bets was played by Beth Ditto (I didn’t recognize her). In the 2000’s I considered Beth to be the best front woman of any band out. Her band, Gossip, were great until Rick Rubin of all people started producing their albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74FHIBtWvi0

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 18, 2019

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

lurker2006 posted:

But Dutch and Claudette are great :confused:

I didn't care that much about them or the standard police work early on but their relationship in the later seasons was really great.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

wizardofloneliness posted:

But Dutch and Claudette are great :confused:
Yeah those two were the characters I missed the most when I got done with the show.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

nate fisher posted:

I didn’t watch past the first episode. I do agree acting is great, but something about the show just seemed off. It kind of felt like the show was trying too hard. I have been thinking about giving it a spin again.

The biggest shock I had with the show is finding out a few weeks ago the character Bets was played by Beth Ditto (I didn’t recognize her). In the 2000’s I considered Beth to be the best front woman of any band out. Her band, Gossip, were great until Rick Rubin of all people started producing their albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74FHIBtWvi0

Yeah, I know what you mean. "trying too hard" is a good take, maybe that's what I don't like. Technically, all of its pieces are great: A story about MLM, set in the early 90s, Kirsten Dunst, Florida, takedown of the american dream etc. But somehow it doesn't work out. For me, the pacing is too slow. Some funny scenes, but maybe too much time devoted to side characters. Dunno. Also lol at Beth Ditto, didn't know.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

That Works posted:

In S2/S3 I'm really enjoying the Dutch and Claudette banter / mutual respect except for when out of nowhere Dutch kills the stray cat... wtf... wtf... Later on he adopts a kitten, please tell me Dutch doesn't become a psychopath .

There was a nixed storyline where Dutch becomes/turns out to be a serial killer.

And it's good that they nixed it, because that sounds really dumb

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Yea The Shield, like a lot of shows, didn't quite find it's identity until Season 2 and 3. The pilot definitely lays the gauntlet down and lets you know that it's not gonna be another good guys vs. bad guys procedural, but they were afraid to dive 100% into the ongoing Strike Team storyline for a while and so you get some throwaway stories that aren't as interesting as when the focus turns completely to the Strike Team and their increasingly desperate attempts to get out of the hole they've dug for themselves.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There was a nixed storyline where Dutch becomes/turns out to be a serial killer.

And it's good that they nixed it, because that sounds really dumb

Ok good, because watching Dutch become a pretty douchey (but self aware about it) character that does legit good work and learns from / stands up for Claudette has been fun to watch. He didn't need to be perfect but him being a villain would just be... unnecessary? There's already a bunch of bad cops.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Ok good, because watching Dutch become a pretty douchey (but self aware about it) character that does legit good work and learns from / stands up for Claudette has been fun to watch. He didn't need to be perfect but him being a villain would just be... unnecessary? There's already a bunch of bad cops.

It's funny because the Dutch thing actually comes off as a pretty thoughtful little subplot about a guy who wants so badly to understand the evil he's encountering and the way he's used to doing that is analysis. So he conducts an "experiment" with the cat, but of course he's immediately disgusted with himself and it's just a really interesting side aspect of Dutch's character.

Of course, to the surprise of nobody that watched what Kurt Sutter did to Son's of Anarchy, it turns out that the subtly and nuance of Dutch was completely accidental and they'd actually planned to go the dumbest possible route before Shawn Ryan decided against it(apparently Ryan now claims he regrets his decision, so maybe they're both idiots).

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
The Shield / Dutch endgame spoilers didnt they intend to show that Dutch was like, a serial killer or something? I remember reading that they originally wanted the finale to have a single shot of Dutch going home to like a bedroom full of severed heads or some poo poo and then it was ultimately cut.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Dutch the serial killer is an extremely stupid and hilarious idea. Dutch works as a character because he’s kind of an elitist dick who looks down on certain people, but he’s also a legitimately good detective and a relatively moral person (for a cop) who cares about doing things the right way. Dutch and Claudette are the counterparts to the Strike Team, making him a serial killer is nothing but pure shock value.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

Dutch the serial killer is an extremely stupid and hilarious idea. Dutch works as a character because he’s kind of an elitist dick who looks down on certain people, but he’s also a legitimately good detective and a relatively moral person (for a cop) who cares about doing things the right way. Dutch and Claudette are the counterparts to the Strike Team, making him a serial killer is nothing but pure shock value.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel about it too so far. Dutch is an interesting character whose a dick but learns and respects Claudette while still kinda being self aware about being a jackass and puffs himself up because of his insecurity. The whole time he's actually good at his job and gets stuff done. Having him be a closet serial killer would just be a dumb waste of a pretty interesting character. Too many villains already.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Out of all the things in The Shield my favorite moment is when the strike team gets video of Dutch singing a Duran Duran song in the car and then they bust his balls about it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Out of all the things in The Shield my favorite moment is when the strike team gets video of Dutch singing a Duran Duran song in the car and then they bust his balls about it.

Just starting S4 and of course Vic is an antivaxxer, of course he is. This is not a story arc I expected.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Anybody else watched Klaus? Really great film. Funny and gorgeous to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

I caught about 1/3 of it last night with my niece and nephew and liked it enough to go home and watch it again afterwards. Very well done I thought, and didn't rely on screaming and loud noises the way so many shows/movies aimed at children do.