Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

Along with a well hidden fireproof safe that's installed in such a way that it's not moving ever without the use of heavy equipment and/or explosives.

At this point you build a safe ROOM and buy the door. I'd so love to do that......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Build two safe rooms. One you show off to everyone and one no one knows about.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's going to be a tiny house, I won't have room for that kind of poo poo. Otherwise I would.

The plan is to have a typical style "wet wall" with all the water lines in it and access panels over anything that might need replacing. I'll be using PEX this time so really no need to service the lines themselves.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I could *possibly* do a tiny *house* as long as there was also a not tiny at all in any way garage, shop, and storage shed. Maybe.
Actually, no, not even then, unless I had another house to display all my toys, trinkets, and tchotchkes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Unless it's an actually mobile house, I don't really "get" tiny houses, the incremental cost of making like an 800 square foot house instead of a 400 square foot house is relatively small, while the livability difference is huge. The high surface area to volume ratio means they're not particularly more heat efficient etc. either.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I always assumed it was so you could cram more rent payers into your back yard, frankly.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Easier to tow with an F-150!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It won't be a true tiny house. I'm guessing we'll end up around 600 to 800 square feet on a 20x20 foundation, just feels small coming from a 1400sf house and growing up in like a 2400sf house.

There is going to be a barn/shop no smaller than 40x60 involved for all the Jeep, ham radio, electronics, and metalworking stuff.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So two stories on 20x20? That might work out OK.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

We were tentatively thinking a single slope roof from about 1.5 floors tall to 2 floors tall, with a great room and open stairs along with the kitchen all connected together, plus a bedroom and bathroom on the first floor and the master "bedroom" as half-walls around the top of the bedroom/bathroom. That all depends on that passing muster with the county building officials however.

Over the last couple days I've had to make a bunch of trips that have cut into working time but still got stuff done. First I stripped most of the siding off the North face of the house over the porch roof:

Then put up the rafter ledger and half assed some housewrap:
(Yes, it still needs taping)

Then tonight managed to get about a third of the rafters in before it got so cold that the pressure treated lumber froze and a nail split a big chunk out of a 2x4 I'd just nailed down. Decided I can deal with that tomorrow when it's above freezing and light out.

Can't decide if I'm going to use regular 3/4 CDX and 3/4 pressure treated for roof decking or convert to the 21st century and use 5/8 zipsystem. Leaning towards the latter though.

Edit: hosed up and used the same image twice

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 19, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kastein posted:

It's going to be a tiny house, I won't have room for that kind of poo poo. Otherwise I would.

Giant secret underground bunker, gotcha.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Is it really a secret if it's on the plans submitted to the county building authorities?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Is it really a secret if it's on the plans submitted to the county building authorities?

You can just wall off the inspector when he comes to visit.

“Yes, for the love of Jeep!”

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

cakesmith handyman posted:

Giant secret underground bunker, gotcha.

And then the whole house will flip up like a COE semi to reveal the stairs.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kastein posted:

It won't be a true tiny house. I'm guessing we'll end up around 600 to 800 square feet on a 20x20 foundation, just feels small coming from a 1400sf house and growing up in like a 2400sf house.

Purely out of curiosity, since you are building for yourself on what seems to be a fairly large chunk of land, why are you going so small? Nothing wrong with small, but I have to admit if I was given the ability to design my own place I'd have a few extra rooms for specific things just.. because! A hobby room, a computer room, a library... etc...

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

The way he builds, he'll be able to add another 7-8 stories on top as necessary.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Just add out buildings! Honestly my dream home would probably be a collection of smaller buildings connected by covered deck/breezeways/outdoor living areas. Granted I would most likely be building something in the PNW as well, so it may not make the most sense. I would love something like that out in the sequim area on a high bank waterfront lot.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The Locator posted:

Purely out of curiosity, since you are building for yourself on what seems to be a fairly large chunk of land, why are you going so small? Nothing wrong with small, but I have to admit if I was given the ability to design my own place I'd have a few extra rooms for specific things just.. because! A hobby room, a computer room, a library... etc...

It's cheaper and it's what my wife wants. And we don't really need anything bigger honestly.

Hobby and computer stuff will be in the barn/shop too and the living room will have enough bookshelves to basically be a library, most likely.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

kastein posted:

barn/shop

What's the threshold between barn/shop and warehouse?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stevobob posted:

How frequently what percentage of the contents gets moved/used. I'd say you're hitting "warehouse" at anything under 50% use per year.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

stevobob posted:

The forklifts.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

stevobob posted:

Whether you can actually work on your projects inside it

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I've been slacking on updates but not on building poo poo. Though I did get a nasty sinus infection last week from tearing some stuff down without a respirator on because I'm a dumbass, so I lost some time.

Rafters and two sheets of decking down on the short side, one more sheet staged on top waiting for the hip and jack rafters to be done.

Stripped the siding, then put the rafter ledger up on the long side and started hanging rafters. I'm using Simpson LSU26Z as the hangar at the ledger and VPA2 at the beam/plate as it allows me to not birdmouth every single rafter, which is a pain in the rear end. They're expensive but make the job go faster.

My mother in law is visiting and so I ended up in a few pictures, which is fairly rare.

Done with the rafters on the long side...

One sheet of decking down and you can sorta see the new comms entrance conduit and board for the lightning arrestors and other demarq equipment. I'm selling the place but I'll be damned if it's not going to be done right, I hate sloppy rear end cable installs.

3 sheets of decking up on the long side too as of tonight.

No idea what I was doing here but I'm glad OSHA has no jurisdiction on this.

Stripped the siding from one of the sides that still had it. Only one full side and the tops of two gables still have siding now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I wish I'd known about those VPA2 ties when I did my workshop. Birdsmouthing rafters is a pain in the rear end, and easily the part of the job where my fit got sloppiest.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

They're $5.50ish each which adds up fast. But worth it since I was putting a rafter in about every 3 minutes once I got into the swing of things, and the LSU26Z at the other end was $8.50 each :aaaaa:

$3 worth of rafter... $14 in brackets to attach it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

kastein posted:

They're $5.50ish each which adds up fast. But worth it since I was putting a rafter in about every 3 minutes once I got into the swing of things, and the LSU26Z at the other end was $8.50 each :aaaaa:

$3 worth of rafter... $14 in brackets to attach it.

Time is money, too. I'd make the same call in your position if the money was there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I've been slacking on updates but not on building poo poo. Though I did get a nasty sinus infection last week from tearing some stuff down without a respirator on because I'm a dumbass, so I lost some time.

Uh. Now you've got me wondering if my raging sinus infection the last week wasn't from the massive amount of sawdust I generated from building my workbench. Dummy me didn't wear a dust mask, much less a respirator.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Uh. Now you've got me wondering if my raging sinus infection the last week wasn't from the massive amount of sawdust I generated from building my workbench. Dummy me didn't wear a dust mask, much less a respirator.

:thunk:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hey, I said I was a dummy.

edit: and a major cold snap (70s down to the 20s) hit at the same time I developed symptoms, not to mention *also* attending a conference, so I was uncertain exactly what I was dealing with beyond lots of snot and a sinus headache.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 20, 2019

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I bought one of these dumb looking things for my leaf cleanup this year, which is a very dusty process. It worked alright.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Looks more useful than a cheap dust mask, but not as cumbersome as a full respirator.
Got a brand name or link? Kind of getting tired of wearing the painting respirator for mowing the yard, and the cheap dust masks suck.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Looks more useful than a cheap dust mask, but not as cumbersome as a full respirator.
Got a brand name or link? Kind of getting tired of wearing the painting respirator for mowing the yard, and the cheap dust masks suck.

I picked one at random from our lord and savior Amazon, it came with a couple extra replacement filters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RWKHR4J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Darchangel posted:

If it was nice clean new wood you might just be unlucky but in my case it was moldy old dust and poo poo 140 years old that I unleashed by ripping chunks off a 140 year old house that was waterlogged for several years.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

I picked one at random from our lord and savior Amazon, it came with a couple extra replacement filters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RWKHR4J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Cool, thanks! I think I’ll get the mesh one for warmer weather.

kastein posted:

If it was nice clean new wood you might just be unlucky but in my case it was moldy old dust and poo poo 140 years old that I unleashed by ripping chunks off a 140 year old house that was waterlogged for several years.

Hmm. Kind of a combo. Mostly new wood, but the legs are an old 4x4 (ish) post, that I cut huge dados in for 2x4s. Regardless, I’d prefer not to breath non-air for the most part.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

over in the woodworking thread we know that even nice clean wood is very bad to breathe in, always be masked when doing sawdusty things, no exceptions

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Like, inhaling mold spores is bad, sure, but so is inhaling a bunch of tiny daggers, and that's basically what sawdust is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yikes. OK, then, point taken. I ordered one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Great, now I find out yet another horrible thing I've been doing to my lungs this whole time. Guess I'll mask up to cut wood in the future.

Hip rafter and jack rafters are done now. It was raining too much to really be safe/wise to do the decking today but hopefully it'll be dried out a bit in the morning.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've done a fair amount of converting larger pieces of wood into smaller pieces without any issues up until a couple years ago. I did a fairly small amount of sanding on some red oak and woke up the following day feeling like I was getting the flu and it took a day or two to get back to feeling normal. I'm generally a fan of breathing protection but it was just 5-10 minutes of hand sanding so no big deal. Maybe I'm allergic to red oak (my first allergy!) but I now put on a mask whenever I'm doing anything that generates particulates even if it doesn't seem necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I know I should really always wear a mask in the shop, but I basically only put it on where I’m spray painting or sanding

I do have a cute little fume extractor for when I’m soldering though
....it doesn’t do much.

But brown lung is real, friends.