Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

Put your phone on the rear view mirror and turn on the selfie camera. Not tell me how well it can see 10 ft behind your car. The focal point of wide angle camera is only a few feet. It's blind past that point.

I can usually see what's going on. If it's useless it's useless I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

That second camera films the interior of the vehicle, not behind the car. Great for a taxi, useless for normal people.

also, they straight up tell you the daytime video is going to have a purple tint? What the hell is that? I've never seen the dash cam do that.

This is the true dual camera I've used, but seem to be unavailable now. I'm sure you can find another https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9F1QP8/?coliid=I2VUHDN0PMK06U&colid=QN6ZDL5RPQ22&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Purple tint means the sensor doesn't have an IR filter. You'll get really weird colors during the day. If that's the interior camera and it's using IR illuminators I'm not sure you'll be able to see out the back at night, but look at some sample video.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What is the benefit of that?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

What is the benefit of that?

Night vision.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I got it today, it seems to work pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENFNXcH_0v4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5520TnkKHxQ

I think in the interior view I can see plenty out the rear window. I have the IR stuff turned off at the moment. I am going to keep playing with the settings but overall, for being night, I think the video is good. I'll play with it more tomorrow in the daylight.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Spotted this driving home today, remembered I actually have a dash cam now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2d6T5G2rrY

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

CornHolio posted:

I got it today, it seems to work pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENFNXcH_0v4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5520TnkKHxQ

I think in the interior view I can see plenty out the rear window. I have the IR stuff turned off at the moment. I am going to keep playing with the settings but overall, for being night, I think the video is good. I'll play with it more tomorrow in the daylight.
not sure if it's a YouTube problem, or me watching this on the phone, but that doesn't look like 1080p it's claiming to be. Can you read license plates of cars directly in front? Try the IR settings

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 16, 2019

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

not sure if it's a YouTube problem, or me watching this on the phone, but that doesn't look like 1080p it's claiming to be. Can you read license plates of cars directly in front? Try the IR settings

I had the covers still on the cameras, they're off now so I'll check the quality again soon. I figured it was just the poor lighting.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Okay, a couple of daytime videos I took over the weekend at different settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwAJyGM4bjw
This is supposed to be 1080p front. The rear camera is also recording at 1080p. During the daytime the rear camera is all but useless for what I need it for - the daylight washes out anything in the windows. Oh well, I was afraid of that but it isn't that big a deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQnn45e0kLg
This says it's 2160p

I don't really see much of a difference, if any, but it might be my old man eyes.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Nitrox posted:

4K of bad-sensor, bad-optics recording may have 4K of pixels but can still look like blurry garbage.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Prong Song posted:

4K of bad-sensor, bad-optics recording may have 4K of pixels but can still look like blurry garbage.

And that's assuming its not just upscaled from 1080P which is what I'd expect to see.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm thinking about splashing out on the Thinkware F800pro for my new car. Recording while parking is a bit illegal, but if the camera only saves recordings if something triggers it I'd sleep a bit better in that grey zone as at least I could get a license number (hopefully). Anyone got any experience with this dashcam?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
CornHolio, YouTube adds compression on top of your video, so it's hard to judge. The important part, is that you can see license plates and maybe even faces clearly, when the video is on your PC. The main reason we have these cameras, is so they can become irrefutable witnesses in the court of law. That's where they need to shine.

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm thinking about splashing out on the Thinkware F800pro for my new car. Recording while parking is a bit illegal, but if the camera only saves recordings if something triggers it I'd sleep a bit better in that grey zone as at least I could get a license number (hopefully). Anyone got any experience with this dashcam?
From what country do you hail?

I don't have any experience with that specific camera, and it looks very good on paper. Best price I've found was $229. But other than GPS, it doesn't seem to do anything better than this $70 camera that I'm using right now https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B7HPFJX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_RSV0DbCAT1AG0

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 18, 2019

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

CornHolio posted:

Okay, a couple of daytime videos I took over the weekend at different settings.

That camera is defective, and you should send it back. The lens is not correctly focused. The image should be much sharper than that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My Mobius Max doesn't have a LCD screen, so I occasionally pull the microSD card to check if it's actually video taping aaaaaaand it's not. Or at least not consistently. I'm going to try a different SD card, but in the event I need a new dashcam, as anyone had experience with BlackVue's? Some forums seem to love them, others never even mention the brand. They're significantly more expensive than most everything else.

I want something without a LCD screen, but also with WiFi so it's easier to make sure it's working.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
The only thing I've captured so far is some moron that keeps driving around in the morning without their lights on. This is the second or third time I've seen them. You can see me flash my lights at them, then turn them off and on trying to point out to them that hey, their lights aren't on, but morons are gonna be morons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q66Yr0koNpY

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
A lot of modern cars run front lights all the time, but they're not headlights. Modern drivers leave the headlights on auto. This combination leads the driver to believe their lights are in fact on when it's only the front daytime running lights. It's hard to signal to them while driving as usually someone flashing you from behind is telling you to move over so they can pass, mostly you have to hope an oncoming driver flashes at them so they get the idea.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Budgie posted:

Modern drivers leave the headlights on auto. This combination leads the driver to believe their lights are in fact on when it's only the front daytime running lights.

Except a lot of cars still don't have automatic headlights (but have bright as hell DRLs, and light up the dash anytime the ignition is on).

If Toyota could add an ambient light sensor to the loving base model Corolla/Matrix to save Captain Ignorant, anybody can. It's pennies when you're doing it at that kind of volume. GF's Matrix is an absolute base model (only option is floor mats), and runs the low beams at reduced brightness as DRLs - if you drive more than 30 seconds with only DRLs at night, it kicks on everything else automatically. The annoying thing is, once they're on, they're on until you shut off the car, no matter what you do with the parking brake or headlight switch.

My car also runs the low beams at reduced brightness for DRLs, but if I just leave the headlight switch on, it runs everything anytime the car is on, and turns everything off when you shut it off. Kind of annoying if I want to leave the lights on while parked (say, if I'm doing a delivery and double parked in front of an apartment building at night); I have to use Subaru's "gently caress you and your battery" parking light switch that gives no chime or dash lights when it's on. It almost got me once, thankfully I went back out to the car about 15 minutes after getting home and noticed the parking lights on.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've seen cars driving around without DRLs, who loving knows man. The other night I flashed both behind somebody and then went in front of them and turned off my lights and they didn't get the picture. Insane.

I can't remember which manufacturer it was but at the car show there was a stalk that had Auto as default and Off as a momentary switch so you can't leave it in that position. Let's hope that becomes standard. Also Auto lights should turn on with the wipers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's also people on the road whose lights are just broken and they can't be assed to get them fixed. Like there's a fuse blown and it would take five minutes to do it but they don't know how and it doesn't feel urgent to them or whatever.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Charles posted:

I can't remember which manufacturer it was but at the car show there was a stalk that had Auto as default and Off as a momentary switch so you can't leave it in that position.

One of my Saturns was like that, except it was labeled "DRL OFF". But it also turned off the automatic headlights.

The second one had the same physical switch (in that it had the momentary position you could twist it to), but it was labeled differently. That one didn't have auto headlights, and turning it to that momentary position did not turn off the DRLs like it did with the first.

tl;dr I'd bet it was a GM.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It'd be pretty cool if police enforced this poo poo but I guess they got minorities to murder and plant evidence on instead.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The cops in my suburb are bored enough to go after people with only DRLs. And one license plate bulb out (out of two). And one brake light out (out of 5 including the CHMSL).

County sheriff also actively patrols out here, they're much more bored than the city cops. Probably partly because they were on Live PD for a couple of years.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
"Go after" like inform and give a warning fix it ticket that means nothing or give real tickets?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

taqueso posted:

"Go after" like inform and give a warning fix it ticket that means nothing or give real tickets?

Depends on who's behind the wheel.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Charles posted:

I can't remember which manufacturer it was but at the car show there was a stalk that had Auto as default and Off as a momentary switch so you can't leave it in that position. Let's hope that becomes standard. Also Auto lights should turn on with the wipers.

GM does this, but my Volt has it on the dash vs the stalk.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

On the opposite side, I've noticed when a car is driving around with its high beams on, nine times out of ten it's going to be an 8th or 9th gen Civic.

Is there something exceptionally lovely about their beam selector or the lamp?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I've noticed it too, I would imagine it's idiots who think it makes people less likely to hit them. If drls are good, high beams must be the best for safety!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

STR posted:

One of my Saturns was like that, except it was labeled "DRL OFF". But it also turned off the automatic headlights.

The second one had the same physical switch (in that it had the momentary position you could twist it to), but it was labeled differently. That one didn't have auto headlights, and turning it to that momentary position did not turn off the DRLs like it did with the first.

tl;dr I'd bet it was a GM.

Godholio posted:

GM does this, but my Volt has it on the dash vs the stalk.

I sat in a Bolt so probably.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I dunno what the gently caress it is about Civics, but I've noticed it too. Furthermore, I drive an 8th gen Civic myself and don't find it any easier or harder to activate the high beams than any other car I've driven. Are Civics idiot magnets? I hope not, because I love mine.

I am an idiot, just not on the road. Ask me about my almost masochist career choices!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I've assumed the people driving with the highbeams on like that are people too cheap/lazy to replace the burnt out normal beams so high beams is all they have left until they are burnt out as well.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

taqueso posted:

Bit of column A, bit of column B. Depends on the cop. I've managed to escape tickets so far, but I've been pulled over 4 or 5 times since I moved here a year and a half ago. My last ticket was in 2005, and the last time I was pulled over before I moved here was before 2010.

I've had one cop search the car (despite my refusing consent); the same cop responded when I called about a neighbor's burglar alarm going off. I happened to be outside taking out the trash when he showed up, he asked if I was the one who called, I said yes, and he wound up detaining me, searching me (not a pat down, but pulling everything out of my pockets), running my ID, etc. Never did check the neighbor's alarm. :fuckoff: I'm definitely moving when my lease is up, the cops that patrol my neighborhood in particular are on a power trip. Maybe a good chunk of the department. :iiam:

Lake of Methane posted:

On the opposite side, I've noticed when a car is driving around with its high beams on, nine times out of ten it's going to be an 8th or 9th gen Civic.

Is there something exceptionally lovely about their beam selector or the lamp?

Most of the cluster is a mix of blue and white on the 8th gen (except for the Si), I assume the high beam indicator just blends in.

I've pulled up next to someone in an 8th gen and told them their high beams were on though, and they just turned off the lights entirely. :downsgun:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 28, 2019

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

STR posted:

cop stuff

Yo that is extremely hosed up and nobody should have to put up with that poo poo.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Welcome to bored surburbia cops. I've dealt with similar poo poo in other suburbs when I was younger, I just didn't expect to run into it again in my 40s.

The long hair didn't help, though it's since been cut (it's now what I'd consider "shaggy" - still down to my chin, but no longer 1/3 of the way down my back). The beater car doesn't help. The piercings don't help. The tint on the car doesn't help. Ink doesn't seem to help either.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

I've assumed the people driving with the highbeams on like that are people too cheap/lazy to replace the burnt out normal beams so high beams is all they have left until they are burnt out as well.

I'm quoting myself, but I forgot to mention my one time driving with high beams on moment. My first car was an 01 merc cougar. It had a water temp gauge. I traded it in for a '14 sub impreza. It does not have this gauge. Instead there is a handy light that gives me an idea. Blue if cold, off when normal, and red when hot. Of course high beams indicator is blue as well. The rest of the dash is red in color. Fast forward to one night I was driving to work one cold morning. Around the house at the time was just farmland, so I generally ran with high beams to spot the deer. This morning was no different except I brain farted and assumed the blue light in my periphery was the engine temp. It was not and only realized half way to work. Both status lights are near each other on the dash as well.

So I can see people doing it unaware as it gets lost in a sea of blue as well.

And yes, a couple people had flashed their lights. However, I assumed they were calling out a speed trap ahead.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 29, 2019

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

STR posted:

Welcome to bored surburbia cops. I've dealt with similar poo poo in other suburbs when I was younger, I just didn't expect to run into it again in my 40s.

The long hair didn't help, though it's since been cut (it's now what I'd consider "shaggy" - still down to my chin, but no longer 1/3 of the way down my back). The beater car doesn't help. The piercings don't help. The tint on the car doesn't help. Ink doesn't seem to help either.

yo but still

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yo that is extremely hosed up and nobody should have to put up with that poo poo.

don't normalize fascism in your head

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Previa_fun posted:

don't normalize fascism in your head

I mean, not saying I disagree here but sometimes you have to operate within the constraints of the reality in which you exist.

What would you suggest he do, against the backdrop of the police being practically untouchable in a court of law and accountable/answerable only to themselves?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Geoj posted:

I mean, not saying I disagree here but sometimes you have to operate within the constraints of the reality in which you exist.

What would you suggest he do, against the backdrop of the police being practically untouchable in a court of law and accountable/answerable only to themselves?

Yeah. loving had the same thing happen in a very poor neighborhood. Cop would prowl the parking lot, loving with folks hardcore. Guy accosted me while walking out of the apartment with the dog, "You got papers on that dog?, "Yeah, they're in my apartment.", "You don't live here." The gently caress dude, just because I'm white I must be over here buying drugs? No, rear end in a top hat, the rent is cheap and I'm poor. Fucker arrested my mother, too. Whole other story. The solution was all the men at the complex spending every minute at home outside at the picnic tables playing dominoes and drinking beer. Guess ol' bully decided not to gently caress with us all at once.

That policeman did not last long. Can't imagine what he did, but I saw in the news someone shot him in the back of the head in an IGA parking lot.

The apartment complex would have been great if we all had cameras pointing out the windows 24/7. Ghetto-rear end dash cam, everyone scrambling to hit "overwrite" on our own poo poo, lol. Dash cam wouldn't have helped when people stole your car battery anyways.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Almost needed it this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSL6cX746w4

Dude had a "only gay cops give me tickets" sticker on his back window. Har har.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I have a dashcam video I want to post, but it has (a) a coworker's car visible (and he asked that if I upload the video, to block out the license plate) and (b) another coworker's face visible (road rage passenger screaming at him and pounding his window :stare:).

Anyone have suggestions on easy ways to blur out a face and license plate? Let's pretend I have no experience with video editing except for trimming clips and joining clips...