Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Cabbit posted:

Did they gently caress up the aspect ratio somehow?

nah he's probably just facing in a different direction, the fuzziness is what stands out to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cabbit posted:

Did they gently caress up the aspect ratio somehow?

The guy just isn't in the exact same pose / angle. What the photo shows is the major loss of detail from video compression.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

need a comparison to the ps4 and xbone base because frankly comparing to the xbone x is too generous apparently

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Other games look better, the Tomb Raider shots look particularly good, but oof

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Soooo all the reviews are saying "Yep, it's 4k! But unavoidably viewed through a compressed feed so it looks kinda muddy."

What the gently caress is even the point of the 4k then

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Soooo all the reviews are saying "Yep, it's 4k! But unavoidably viewed through a compressed feed so it looks kinda muddy."

And also it's not even 4K, like it wouldn't take much to build a PC that matches this, and then beats it because it's local quality.

I was ready for this to be bad but this is on a level I didn't expect.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Because its hard to fit "792p upscale to 4k" on the side of a chromecast box?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean... That's how video compression has worked for 30 years.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It would probably look better if it streamed at 1080p and then upscaled locally

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Rotten Red Rod posted:

built in full screen anti-aliasing

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Also because they have to compress the video on-the-fly, the video quality suffers even more.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

ethanol posted:

negative input lag turned out to be a real feature

input lag is a negative in every review

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/nov/18/google-stadia-review-gylt this review sucks and I dont believe them that there is no input lag on MK11. But this is one review that seems to think the lag isn't noticable???

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

an actual dog posted:

It would probably look better if it streamed at 1080p and then upscaled locally

real-time compression is kinda unavoidably meh even when you throw extra bandwidth at it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Here's the game price list:

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's 4k at the server :smuggo:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I've got mail!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tetrabor posted:

It's 4k at the server :smuggo:
But it's not even, RDR2 is 1440 from the server.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

univbee posted:

I've got mail!

bahahahaha

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

American McGay posted:

Apparently Destiny 2 is also locked at 1080p too?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

"For best performance, don't live with other people."

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

apparently the controller scratches easily, so easily that even using the google claw grip will leave marks on it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

univbee posted:

I live alone, hardwire everything, have great internet, control what happens on my network like a loving freak. I would probably get the best possible experience with stadia. Instead, I'll use my local hardware. Who is this for??!?!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Gerstmann quote: Stadia streaming from the cloud was a better experience than Steam streaming from his local PC over wifi which is "a shitshow". So that's something!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

:mmmhmm: Tomb Raider was $3 on steam a week ago.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

an actual dog posted:

Who is this for??!?!

Sickly kids in hospital so the staff can throw the contaminated stadia equipment in the trash when they are cured or otherwise without having to pitch out a $400 console every time heaven gets a new angel?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nevermind that there's apparently four cards in a Stadia rig, that have to share bandwidth on the CPU internal PCIe switch (there's only so much poo poo you can shovel over the Infinity Fabric) and also memory bandwidth (transferring data to the GPU and also running the game).

Enthusiasts have been trying to maximize available bandwidth for that 99th percentile crap to get smooth framerates, and here comes Stadia and throws it all out.

I think the newest Epyc CPUs should be able to handle that reasonably well with 8 memory channels and 128 PCIe 4.0 lanes, but I don't know if Stadia is even running on those. Given how recently those came out and how little cache was reported for the Stadia CPUs earlier this year, it's likely something older and more prone to bandwidth issues.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

an actual dog posted:

I live alone, hardwire everything, have great internet, control what happens on my network like a loving freak. I would probably get the best possible experience with stadia. Instead, I'll use my local hardware. Who is this for??!?!

Mostly the same but in-home streaming with Nvidia still feels off. Like theres some unavoidable chunk of input lag right above the threshold of noticeability.

Weird stuff you wouldnt expect to cause network hiccoughs will affect games, too. Theyre insanely sensitive to network conditions.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm so happy the world is full of rubes. Why yes I paid ~~$200 dollars + $60 for a video game to be shunted onto my television at ersatz 4k

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Fallom posted:

Mostly the same but in-home streaming with Nvidia still feels off. Like theres some unavoidable chunk of input lag right above the threshold of noticeability.

Weird stuff you wouldnt expect to cause network hiccoughs will affect games, too. Theyre insanely sensitive to network conditions.

google has a plan to send matthew mcconaughey to retrieve the FTL/anti-grav/ quantum network data so we can fix this

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Fallom posted:

I've played through a ton of games on my Shield. The only one I had a lot of trouble with was oddly enough, Songbird Symphony. It had a lot of hitting the button at the exact moment and it was just enough off to not work right. It's been fine for everything else. It's connected through powerline adapters because I'm too lazy to run lines in my house after doing it at work.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So some quotes from the first 20 minutes Giant Bomb quick look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFpHPFLbCM

It works, but it always looks like a compressed video.

The input lag isn't horrible, but it is noticeable. Jeff compares it to playing on a "bad TV".

Looks nice on a phone, works better than his in-home Steam streaming.

They're still not really sure who it's for. Maybe someone who doesn't play a lot of games, but wants to, but doesn't want to pay for a console.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NOW do we call it a dumpster fire or are we still waiting?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Big fan of the Stadia Pro DEALS on the service that currently contains only Pro users. What a savings!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1196488999524802562

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I love how "4k60" slowly descended to "1440p30" for Red Dead Redemption 2, with some added compression artifacts for good measure. Even before you get to the input lag (which is mildly more impressive than I expected but still present and noticeable for the vast majority of tech reviewers, who are also likely to have significantly better internet connections than average), that's just embarrassing.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

American McGay posted:

at medium settings, according to digital foundry lmao

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Bofast posted:

The 2080Ti struggles to run RDR2 at 4K 60 fps, so I think we can forget about the Vega GPUs in Stadia servers doing that reliably unless they turn down a number of settings.

Chart from the Gamers Nexus RDR2 GPU video.

Yeah, when set to insane details. But consoles run RDR2 at less than low quality, the game works quite well even on very moderate hardware when you don't run it at high settings.

Scott Forstall posted:

at medium settings, according to digital foundry lmao

This is still way better than current console can provide.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

sethsez posted:

I love how "4k60" slowly descended to "1440p30" for Red Dead Redemption 2, with some added compression artifacts for good measure. Even before you get to the input lag (which is mildly more impressive than I expected but still present and noticeable for the vast majority of tech reviewers, who are also likely to have significantly better internet connections than average), that's just embarrassing.

Yeah even if everything else about this is great (and who knows, if Google actually bucks the trend and sticks with this, it might be - the technology is fine, Google's marketing and the launch decisions are the main issues) I cannot ever stand input lag. I tolerate it in some games like Witcher 3 because the game is so good, but for a game like Destiny that needs quick reaction times? Or even worse, a game with already significant input lag like RDR2, making it worse? Yeah, no, hard pass for me.

So far from what I'm hearing, it's a worse, uglier experience for every game you play on it. But it can be cheaper, if you don't already have a console and don't buy/play a lot of games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lambert posted:

Yeah, when set to insane details. But consoles run RDR2 at less than low quality, the game works quite well even on very moderate hardware when you don't run it at high settings.

Xbox One X plays RDR2 at high/medium settings equivalents at buttery smooth native 4K 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1iNSyvIPaY

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Lambert posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

univbee posted:

Google's really banking on that dialup gaming nostalgia.