Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

The manga adaptation of Tsukihime is better than the game EXCEPT it's missing the best scene: the midnight meeting of serial killers.

It also has a nice happy ending, which I'm growing to appreciate in my old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

The manga adaptation of Tsukihime is better than the game EXCEPT it's missing the best scene: the midnight meeting of serial killers.

There's a part of me that wants to say this is still my favorite scene in a TM product, it's so good.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah cause you love killing

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I never actually played through Tsukihime. Is that scene like the Banquet of Kings from F/Z?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Maybe I'm just dumb and emotional given all the poo poo in my corner of the world, but I really liked the finale of El Melloi case files. Don't even need another season because it was heartfelt and closed things nicely. I can see why Waver wouldn't care for rejoining the bullshit Grail War after his personal journey.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I want seasons for every case with tons of original content too

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rody One Half posted:

Same. Give me all the Waver I can possibly have and then some.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Also more Reines dressing up Gray in cute clothes.

Why does Gray’s name use the American spelling if she’s British? :v:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Rody One Half posted:

There are several finished LN volumes with a few cases in each, so if it gets kickstarted or remains popular in Japan we could see more.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The gacha money can fund a billion anime projects and as long as FGO continues to see benefits from cross-promotion I'm sure there'll be more things made.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How the hell is Gudao going to beat the likes of "Tiamat" and other bosses in the Babylonia anime with the party he has?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 16, 2019

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

How the hell is Gudao going to beat the likes of "Tiamat" and other bosses in the Babylonia anime with the party he has?

Saint quartz revives and a credit card.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

His Merlin support is 10/10/10 level 100 NP5

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Grouchio posted:

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

This is a beautiful picture.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
I know Fou is smaller than most people assume, but looking at that picture holy poo poo he is tiny.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Fou is dimension hopping cat-dog-fox-thing, I bet it can be as big, or small, as it feels like at the moment.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I just saw something odd in the intro of FSN. Here's Rin's recital when she's summoning a heroic spirit:

quote:

Make an oath here.
I am the one who shall become the virtue of all afterworld.
I am the one who shall lay out the evil of all afterworld.
Thou art Seven Heavens clad in the Three Great Words.
Emerge from the ring of control, guardian of balance…!

Is it just me, or is there something weird about the last line? What do heroic spirits have to do with being a guardian of balance? (UBW) Isn't this the sort of spell that would get you a Counter Guardian rather than a regular hero?

I guess it's always pretty clear Rin's summoning was overdetermined--- there are lots of reasons she gets the exact Servant she does--- but I hadn't noticed this before.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Part of that wording might be because in the London Singularity of FGO, its revealed that the Holy Grail War's summoning ritual is a hackjob modification of an ancient Grand Summoning Ritual that would summon the Seven Grand Heroic Spirits (Grand Caster, Grand Assassin, etc) to defend the world/humanity from a planetary-level threat. The exact origins of this Ritual are not mentioned.

That or translation phrasing, I don't remember actually seeing that exact translation used for Rin's summoning.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
All Servants come from HSs, and HSs exist for the purpose of the preservation of humanity. Proper HSs get to do more glamorous stuff than CGs tho.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

nrook posted:

I just saw something odd in the intro of FSN. Here's Rin's recital when she's summoning a heroic spirit:

I think that's just a translation thing since it's extremely different from every version I've seen. This is the version I most remember, though it may be simply because it's the one I tend to go to:

quote:

"I announce!
Thy body shall be under my command,
my fate shall be determined by thy sword!
Follow the call of the Holy Grail.
If thou wouldst obey this mind and this reason, obey me!
Then I shall entrust my fate to your sword...!"

Both versions have literally nothing in common so unless I'm missing something big here, one of these translations is not a translation at all but a complete rewrite.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think that's just a translation thing since it's extremely different from every version I've seen. This is the version I most remember, though it may be simply because it's the one I tend to go to:

Both versions have literally nothing in common so unless I'm missing something big here, one of these translations is not a translation at all but a complete rewrite.

Ugh, this is too easy to believe, there are a lot of fanciful translations of lines from FSN lying around.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Blaze Dragon posted:

I dunno where you got that one but it clearly doesn't match the JP transcription in the wiki or locs of summoning chants used in other media such as the anime or other spinoffs such as Apo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Unrelatedly, is anyone here following UBW Abridged on youtube

One of my anime friends turned me onto it and it's loving funny as hell

Nearly everything out of Rin's mouth is solid gold

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

"Does it bother me that my Servant is so clever that all mankind blames him for their shortcomings? Not particularly, no."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Aloof super sarcastic Sakura is the best.

Also, how they're super on point with how everyone wants to bang Saber in this route.

Also, also, Saber's neurotic misgivings about Kiritsugu whenever he and/or the 4th war are brought up.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No, I do not know Ilyasviel von Einzbern or her mother. Or her terrible father.

Really though the star is Kirei.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Rin's reaction to Saber is the best.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

AlternateNu posted:

Also, also, Saber's neurotic misgivings about Kiritsugu whenever he and/or the 4th war are brought up.

"Are you all right? Swear you'll never use a gun and I will call an ambulance immediately!"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"I want that!" made it into FGO.

Not sure if reference or merely funny coincidence. It's Emiya geeking out over weapons.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am gonna miss Abridged Sakura. She was my favorite member of the cast.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This group has done movies before so hey, look forward to Presage Flower Abridged.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id really rather not

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I think you'd have to do some pretty ingenious editing to make Heaven's Feel into something comedic enough for an abridged video.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AlternateNu posted:

I think you'd have to do some pretty ingenious editing to make Heaven's Feel into something comedic enough for an abridged video.

ordinarily i'd agree that HF is just straight-up not possible to do this with, but honestly, i feel like the way they're handling Sakura in UBW Abridged (she passive-aggressively hates everybody for ignoring the horrible poo poo happening to her) gives them an angle that would work

like they're clearly not afraid of some loving dark jokes on this subject matter and they've proven they have the chops to make it work; just reframe the Shadow as her bottled-up anger at all the idiots around her taking physical form and going out to murder people, and have Dark Sakura explicitly be the product of her being outright done with everyone's poo poo, and I think everything falls into place from there

e: should we be spoiler-tagging HF stuff on account of the movies, or is this mostly a thread of VN-readers?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 19, 2019

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Hot take, I thought abridged stuff was out of vogue and also I don't feel interested in a Fate iteration of it much less one for HF.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Compendium posted:

Hot take, I thought abridged stuff was out of vogue

it's kind of ebbed and flowed. the modern stuff is all riffing on Team Four Star's style and UBW Abridged is probably the closest I've seen to nailing it (and without the entire season-and-a-half of awkward bullshit that TFS went through before they got really good)

Compendium posted:

and also I don't feel interested in a Fate iteration of it much less one for HF.

yeah this is why i stayed away from UBW Abridged until people i trust started saying it's good and funny

watch the first scene of episode 3 (it's their take on the conversation between kid-Shirou and Kiritsugu) and if you get a good laugh out of it, you'll probably like the rest of the series pretty well