Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

hostile apostle posted:

Stadia will do it better, YouTube streaming is coming - you'll even have the ability to join their session via on a link on the YT stream page if the game is multiplayer and the user wants to allow that.

https://stadia.dev/blog/jump-into-multiplayer-games-on-youtube-with-crowd-play/

How are you enjoying that 4K60 RDR2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

hostile apostle posted:

Stadia will do it better, YouTube streaming is coming - you'll even have the ability to join their session via on a link on the YT stream page if the game is multiplayer and the user wants to allow that.

if someone streams a game from stadia does stadia also handle the streaming, or would be it then be RE-compressed and poo poo out as an even further degraded 1080p or 720p video? If the former, cool, if the latter huge LOL. the games already look like compressed poo poo.

edit: this only works if the entire game is developed or redeveloped to work with the API so its cool but again, what will support it? :stare:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

univbee posted:

Yeah no argument there about wanting a one-and-done purchase, but a 980ti should be doing better than that. What kind of CPU do you have? I have a 2500k with 16 gigs of RAM and a 970 and can still usually do medium-high, although it's definitely getting long in the tooth. I think I can even do Ultra in the new Star Wars game at 1080p60.

I think a 2500k also can’t remember. I should try games again on it it’s been a little while...wanted to try Jedi order but don’t think it’d run

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

hostile apostle posted:

this doesnt sound better at all. onlive i could go into a big ol thing where everyone playing a game with it enabled could be joined through a nice user interface and you could watch some person playing amnesia without them knowing and then go BAAAAAA really loud in the mic and hear them scream in terror and shut the game off

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

I guess but I have a $1.1k computer from 2015 with a 980ti and it can barely play any new release except on low. I’m tired of the barrier of entry for pc games and would’ve loved a one time fee thing.

What the hell settings are you trying to play these at? I have a 1070, which is basically a very slightly better 980 ti and I can play newer games at 1440p just fine.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I guess but I have a $1.1k computer from 2015 with a 980ti and it can barely play any new release except on low. I’m tired of the barrier of entry for pc games and would’ve loved a one time fee thing.

What CPU do you have? For the most simple example find a benchmark of a game on your CPU and GPU, whichever is LOWER is the FPS you will get. You cannot go faster if your GPU is waiting on the CPU and if the GPU is still rendering frames the CPU can't do anything.

I had a GPU from around 2015 with my i5-2500k (2011) and could run any game on low or ultra at 20FPS. I recently spent $700 getting a new CPU and GPU and can hit 1440p60 in just about everything on ultra and if a game isn't too bad on the CPU I have a 144Hz monitor that looks amazing when a game can actually pull that off.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pixaal posted:

What CPU do you have? For the most simple example find a benchmark of a game on your CPU and GPU, whichever is LOWER is the FPS you will get. You cannot go faster if your GPU is waiting on the CPU and if the GPU is still rendering frames the CPU can't do anything.

I had a GPU from around 2015 with my i5-2500k (2011) and could run any game on low or ultra at 20FPS. I recently spent $700 getting a new CPU and GPU and can hit 1440p60 in just about everything on ultra and if a game isn't too bad on the CPU I have a 144Hz monitor that looks amazing when a game can actually pull that off.

Nice. What GPU did you get?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I think a 2500k also can’t remember. I should try games again on it it’s been a little while...wanted to try Jedi order but don’t think it’d run

There's been a lot of updates recently for Windows that have hurt early gen Intels, 2xxx series (the 2500k included) has been hit pretty hard with all the recent exploit mitigations, if you are rocking an i5-2500k you are well past time for an upgrade. That CPU came out in 2011.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

if it doesnt have a solid state hard drive that's basically the problem. the 980 isnt much worse than a 1660, though lacks some of the improvements/efficiencies for the newest games.

also the amount you spent on a computer doesn't really mean much. plenty of people spend $1500 on crap. not saying you did, just that "someone sold me a good gamin rig for $1100" doesn't mean much either which is part of the problem of the hobby no doubt. the 2500k is definitely long in the tooth - the processor was released in 2011.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regrettable posted:

What the hell settings are you trying to play these at? I have a 1070, which is basically a very slightly better 980 ti and I can play newer games at 1440p just fine.

Yeah, I have a 1070 and a cpu from 2013 and have no problem running new games

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wait it’s a i7-6700

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

univbee posted:

At this point I think the strategy is to just get cheaper-tier hardware for PC gaming, you can keep things pretty low cost if you stick to 1080p60, especially if you use a console for the beefy "AAA graphics" games and keep your PC for the more PC-appropriate stuff that doesn't tend to have huge hardware demands anyway.
Yup. I built my PC in July for $650 and it handles everything at high settings at 1080p60 (often 1440p) and I expect it to last around 4 years. You can put together a great system for a very low cost.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Oh wait it’s a i7-6700

ok yeah its either a non-SSD, not enough RAM, or nothing else makes sense. this is a perfectly fine gaming computer. there's still a lot of life left in that computer.

edit: Plug for the newly redone SH/SC parts picking thread! We will help you get the literal best bang for your buck!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903626

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

charity rereg posted:

if someone streams a game from stadia does stadia also handle the streaming, or would be it then be RE-compressed and poo poo out as an even further degraded 1080p or 720p video? If the former, cool, if the latter huge LOL. the games already look like compressed poo poo.

The Verge's review is a pretty great list of things not there yet.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/20970297/google-stadia-review-gaming-streaming-cloud-price-specs-features-chrome-pixel

The answer to your question is:
Coming* in 2020**
- the ability to instantly*** share gameplay captures to YouTube, and cross-platform**** voice chat;
- an unspecified amount of YouTube integration will enable some of Stadia’s promised features that didn’t make launch (see below).
- You’ll be able to click on a YouTube ad for a game to jump straight***** into that game
- You’ll be able to live-stream to YouTube in 4K****** at the same time you’re playing in 4K*******
- You’ll be able to share a link to an exact******* moment in a game with friends or followers so they can try it instantly********
- Streamers will be able to let viewers line up to instantly********* join their game

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
he may have an overheating problem in the CPU or GPU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's a pretty great time to be buying computer parts. You can get a new CPU/Mobo/RAM for <$300, though a new PSU won't be cheap.

Also to stay on topic, Lol, Stadia.

E: Assassin's Creed aside that should be a fine system. Like everyone else said, something's gone wrong somewhere.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

univbee posted:

Nice. What GPU did you get?

I did get off topic, but if you are actually looking to run something similar I'm using an AMD RX5700 GPU and an AMD R9-3700 CPU. I have not been disappointed in that computer.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Oh wait it’s a i7-6700

And my CPU is a 6600k so probably a memory issue?

Could also be this:

emdash posted:

he may have an overheating problem in the CPU or GPU

Clean your drat PC.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

doingitwrong posted:

The Verge's review is a pretty great list of things not there yet.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/20970297/google-stadia-review-gaming-streaming-cloud-price-specs-features-chrome-pixel

The answer to your question is:
Coming* in 2020**
- the ability to instantly*** share gameplay captures to YouTube, and cross-platform**** voice chat;
- an unspecified amount of YouTube integration will enable some of Stadia’s promised features that didn’t make launch (see below).
- You’ll be able to click on a YouTube ad for a game to jump straight***** into that game
- You’ll be able to live-stream to YouTube in 4K****** at the same time you’re playing in 4K*******
- You’ll be able to share a link to an exact******* moment in a game with friends or followers so they can try it instantly********
- Streamers will be able to let viewers line up to instantly********* join their game

I'm still not sure what's going to be streamed, but if viewers get EXACTLY THE SAME experience the streamer does I guess that's OK. Like if the backend goes "OK this is Stadia video" and doesn't run any further YouTube compression on it... but it has to, right? People will be connecting from various devices and need different qualities. Unless it will be "raw" output from the server and the only compression will be done on YouTube side...

I'll reserve judgement but this might be the shittiest part

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

okay you need to stop with the "Stadia will", it's "Stadia claims they will", they have not earned any benefit of the doubt from one single stress test of Assassin's Creed Odyssey

there is nothing factual about what stadia claims they will do or support in the future, it is entirely speculative

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

A 980ti is about equal to a 1660ti which is still a drat fine card. If you can't play anything above low then something else is wrong because your GPU is more than powerful enough, maybe your CPU...

Oh wait it’s a i7-6700

...okay yeah something's just wrong, spec-wise you're doing great and that should be hitting 60fps on modern games at mostly-high settings without breaking a sweat.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

hostile apostle posted:

How does astroturfing a dead comedy forum pay? I want in on that poo poo and I have no morals.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah i have a SSd I think I just need to reformat my pc or something :shrug:

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Have any of the reviews said how much data is used per hour? I’ve read a few but haven’t seen it mentioned yet.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah i have a SSd I think I just need to reformat my pc or something :shrug:

I'd probably check if there is any thermal paste left on your cpu

I had some similar issues with my old rear end CPU a few years ago and it was just overheating

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my desktop is a fuckin amd phantom II x4 from like 2013 and it still runs games fine because i have a 1060 in it

that said the reason why jedi fallen order is having problems for people is because it's unoptimized as gently caress and requires several patches

e: I'm still running on win7 though, i'm not sure what will happen if i upgrade to win10. oddly the only games that have run like poo poo on my desktop have been the signal from tolva and grow up, and i'm not really sure why other than, again, lack of optimization (both games even employ an intentionally low-res aesthetic lol). but yeah most games have been fine, i try not to go over 1080p tho and usually stick to like medium-high settings. i also have an i7 laptop with a 1050ti that runs games at 1080p ultra settings but dang does it get hot

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 18, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

I love the pixel-look, it's like RDR2 was transformed into the latest indie darling! The life-changing magic of Stadia.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

hostile apostle posted:

Wait, does Stadia not even let you stream games to Youtube yet?

Wow, holy poo poo lol

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

stadia ui only works in portrait mode

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The 7th Guest posted:

okay you need to stop with the "Stadia will", it's "Stadia claims they will", they have not earned any benefit of the doubt from one single stress test of Assassin's Creed Odyssey

there is nothing factual about what stadia claims they will do or support in the future, it is entirely speculative

Stadia will run Red Dead Redemption 2 at 4k60

edit:

an actual dog posted:

jesus christ

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3F1LvHRVD8

https://twitter.com/PaulTassi/status/1196478074931568640

https://twitter.com/JDNews4/status/1196479241170243584?s=20

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 18, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

pixaal posted:

There's been a lot of updates recently for Windows that have hurt early gen Intels, 2xxx series (the 2500k included) has been hit pretty hard with all the recent exploit mitigations, if you are rocking an i5-2500k you are well past time for an upgrade. That CPU came out in 2011.
Got any details on that, some link to info about which kind of updates did it and what problems they're causing? I actually am still using my old i5-2500k and I can't really afford to buy a new motherboard and CPU right now, which is what any kind of upgrade would really require. Not a lot of LGA1155 CPUs that are any better, and if they were, I'm assuming the same problems would apply to them anyway.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Andrast posted:

I'd probably check if there is any thermal paste left on your cpu

I had some similar issues with my old rear end CPU a few years ago and it was just overheating

Thermal throttling is a blessing and a curse. Now instead of your computer abruptly turning off with a warning saying THERMAL MAXIMUM REACHED it just runs at whatever speed it can, which may mean it's running at 20% speed. On the other hand if you leave thermal room open the CPU can boost higher. It is always worth making sure you have good airflow in a case. Airflow is prominence.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

an actual dog posted:

Everything about this launch has been a humiliating demonstration of my paucity of imagination when it comes to predicting how things might be poorly designed or go wrong. It didn't even occur to me to consider this could be the kind of thing they'd not think through.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Got any details on that, some link to info about which kind of updates did it and what problems they're causing? I actually am still using my old i5-2500k and I can't really afford to buy a new motherboard and CPU right now, which is what any kind of upgrade would really require. Not a lot of LGA1155 CPUs that are any better, and if they were, I'm assuming the same problems would apply to them anyway.

Just last week was the most recent release

Intel Thread:

eames posted:

I find that CFL really shines with fast, low latency RAM. The same is true for Ryzen but CFL does better in single threaded and/or latency sensitive titles. Unfortunately no benchmark site ever tests with really fast and optimised RAM, arguably rightfully so because most users don’t even turn on XMP.

Something like DDR4-4133 CL16 with tight sub and tertiary timings is a 20% average frame rate increase over the default JEDEC settings at stock core frequencies and when CPU bound. More like 40% at 5.2 GHz.

I’m not going to pretend that that’s anything but a rare edge case in the grand scheme of things but I’m still pleased with my 8700k over AM4 ‘cause upgrading to a 3950X would be a performance loss for muh FPS (and not a small one either). Now if AMD could catch up on single core performance and vendors would start selling DDR4-4000+ binned ECC modules...

But Spectre and Meltdown from January of 2018 also hurt performance a lot. There have been several pretty major exploits on Intel CPUs in the last few years, and you probably want these fixes running.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Those funky artifacts in that tweet reply look kind of HEVC-ish.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

Everything about this launch has been a humiliating demonstration of my paucity of imagination when it comes to predicting how things might be poorly designed or go wrong. It didn't even occur to me to consider this could be the kind of thing they'd not think through.

Always more always worse

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

Those funky artifacts in that tweet reply look kind of HEVC-ish.

The AC test was VP9, so it's very likely this is, too. Also, if I were to guess a codec for this, I'd say MPEG1.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Excited for rdr2 on the switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The Verge review is pretty good, but there are some weird parts where the Google storytelling has taken hold.

quote:

“When streaming at 4K, we render at a native 1080p and then upsample and apply a variety of techniques to increase the overall quality of effect,” a Bungie rep said, adding that D2 runs at the PC equivalent of medium settings.

But then when talking about the lacklustre controller:

quote:

I also loved just how good it felt to pick up an Xbox 360 gamepad and play Destiny 2 at 4K 60 fps on a Windows PC again, after days of training myself to adapt to a lesser experience.