Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

because making colonized territories states with actual democratic power goes completely against private interests

you mean like how Hawaii became a state?

you're massively overthinking the issue here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i want the white house tape where nixon and kissinger discuss annexing Vietnam

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in a nightmarish alternate reality nixon gained the power of a god turning kissinger from a mass murderer into a respected senior statesman

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

was making vietnam a state in the comic book too its such a broadly ignorant idea the only defense i can come up with for its existence is that moore wrote it as a throwaway line not really knowing or caring about the history of vietnam as a country or how the war fit into capitalist propaganda

It’s lost guy dunce cap bullshit

A Gnarlacious Bro has issued a correction as of 05:33 on Nov 18, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

It’s lost guy dunce cap bullshit

The show, yes. The graphic novel, no. It's good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Disney deleted a scene showing that Valkyrie is queer.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Nerd Culture Delenda Est.

It's amazing how nerds will go up to bat for monstrous corporate entities when given a bit of lip service. It's like being a Sanders supporter, but with junk movies.

i say swears online posted:

Yeah the first and prairie sections were best but i was entranced by the tom waits one because being in the mountains totally alone for significant amounts of time is something I've done and loved. The loneliness is terrifying

The dialogue in the last section was just too good

I thought that viginete was weaker compared to the others with the trademark Coen Bros dialogue.

If I were to rank the stories in Ballad of Buster Scruggs, It would go:

1-The Mortal Remains
2-Ballad of Buster Scruggs
3-Near Algodones
4-Girl who got rattled
5-All gold Prospector
6-Meal Ticket.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The thing I miss least about being at the shop is people fluffing those movies

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Serf posted:

sometimes i think about that lady who got her book deal pulled because the book contained slavery, which it said was evil. just the fact that slavery existed was all it took

I don't really get pissed off that much about twitter drama, but holy poo poo, that made me incredibly mad, because the entire argument against the book was that the type of slavery portrayed in it ("Maid" slavery, which, holy lol if you have ever lived in the Gulf or Asia you have seen this poo poo. I live in the gulf and there was literally an NCIS raid to bust a slave ring run by U.S. base personnel like last year.) doesn't exist and claims that it did was just a cover for the appropriation of the only type of slavery there ever is or was, American pre-civil war slavery. :psyduck:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

*Video of upper class Kuwaiti woman haranguing her maid into attempting suicide by jumping out a window*

Uhhh, excuse me, but this video is offensive. No, no, not the abuse of the woman, the fact that you would describe this situation as "slavery," which doesn't exist anymore,

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Serf posted:

i started watching the mandalorian and, uh, this is what they were hyping up so much? even disney money can't make tv look good apparently. just endless expanses of desert and the costumes look cheap. then the story is largely incoherent. the end of the first episode is a decent hook, it adds an interesting wrinkle that i liked. then the second episode went and squandered the whole thing and now it seems like its gonna just be rote bullshit again

the only really good thing i can say about it is that pascal is acting the hell outta that helmet and i feel a little bad for him

everyone is so beaten down by franchise crap that a star wars thing that follows a really generic videogamey adventure structure is exciting because at least its not literally just a retelling of older star wars movies

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
In general, I practice this philosophy of avoiding all people's opinions on Star Wars except for Red Letter Media. Of all the pop culture poo poo people have intense opinions on, Star Wars might be the worst.

And more recently, I haven't even kept up with RLM.

In general, this rule works out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Echo Chamber posted:

In general, I practice this philosophy of avoiding all people's opinions on Star Wars except for Red Letter Media. Of all the pop culture poo poo people have intense opinions on, Star Wars might be the worst.

And more recently, I haven't even kept up with RLM.

In general, this rule works out.

I don't like the plinkett reviews but I've found that I really enjoy rich and Mike talking about star wars/trek and I would love for them to do a series where they discuss like, seasons of Star trek or big episodes or whatever

Serf
May 5, 2011

once lucas sold off the franchise it basically became terrible fanfiction. he wasn't using it, and he never cared about it as much as the superfans, but now that the patients are running the asylum poo poo has just nosedived so hard

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm still (low-key) willing to say the Disney stuff is more entertaining than the prequels, but my ultimate take is still not unlike Harry Potter.

Read Watch Another Book Thing.

I don't have the patience to listen to people's pedantic "but the prequels were actually more memorable" rants because I'm not particularly concerned about the franchise's iconographic power as a lapsed Star Wars fan.

I didn't intend for this to come off as a hypocritical and nihilist non-opinion opinion, but that's what it ended up being.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the ot and pt rule, the st and spinoffs drool

rogue one was decent i guess, at least that showed us some interesting new stuff and had a good ending

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Serf posted:

the ot and pt rule, the st and spinoffs drool

rogue one was decent i guess, at least that showed us some interesting new stuff and had a good ending

rogue one was the best actually, because it didn't focus on jedi among other things

they keep using jedis, which are supposed to be super rare as a common constant theme and it makes them boring because we've seen it all and star wars video game franchises make jedi combat cutscenes etc. much cooler and interesting than in the movies

i want to watch mandalorian for that reason too, there's plenty of things to explore in a freaking universe that doesn't revolve around jedi power fantasies, they don't want to do that with movies because of risk aversion to do something different.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

rogue one was the best actually, because it didn't focus on jedi among other things

they keep using jedis, which are supposed to be super rare as a common constant theme and it makes them boring because we've seen it all and star wars video game franchises make jedi combat cutscenes etc. much cooler and interesting than in the movies

i want to watch mandalorian for that reason too, there's plenty of things to explore in a freaking universe that doesn't revolve around jedi power fantasies, they don't want to do that with movies because of risk aversion to do something different.

if you go into the mandalorian wanting there to be no force magic, you'll be disappointed

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Serf posted:

if you go into the mandalorian wanting there to be no force magic, you'll be disappointed

thanks for the heads up but as long as it isn't central its whatever

everyone is force obsessive in a bad way, just a bunch of nerds on a power fantasy

what i liked about rogue one that it emphasized the war part as they were talking about fighting over resources, like kyber

just stop showing desert planets~

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

everyone is so beaten down by franchise crap that a star wars thing that follows a really generic videogamey adventure structure is exciting because at least its not literally just a retelling of older star wars movies

I used to play the Star Wars The Old Republic MMO and this show feels exactly like a storyline from that game. In fact, I never played as a bounty hunter, but I'd be willing to bet that there was at least one questline where your target is a magic baby. Everything in the story feels very transactional so far.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the mandalorian is trying very hard to be a western, and pascal is doing his best man with no name impression under that helmet. also that's gonna be a no-go on the desert planet request. we start off on a snow planet (just a wet and cold desert) and then move on to a desert planet followed by a SECOND desert planet

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

every werner herzog quote about the mandalorian makes it clear to me that I would enjoy it a lot more if I hadn’t seen star wars. like the second ep was pretty cool but I couldn't get over the "hay remember star wars" element of it lol

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i think the mandalorian is good and fun

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Serf posted:

once lucas sold off the franchise it basically became terrible fanfiction. he wasn't using it, and he never cared about it as much as the superfans, but now that the patients are running the asylum poo poo has just nosedived so hard

The star wars wiki should have been a dead giveaway.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ANH and empire are the only watchable star wars movies and it's entirely because lucas wasn't yet a big enough name that nobody could reign him in. if you saw RotJ and didn't realize that he would wildly faceplant when left to his own devices, i don't know what to tell you. people that went into the prequels acting like maybe lucas was going to turn in really solid films were operating on nothing but nostalgia and poor pattern recognition.

VII could have been a fresh start for the franchise since it was ostensibly dropping all of the decades of EU cruft and it wasn't going to involve lucas, but it was extremely underwhelming for different reasons and basically confirmed that the new owners aren't going to do anything interesting with the franchise either.

also jedi are the least interesting part of the entire franchise and the fact that bullshit space wizards have become central to the plot of almost every starwars thing kills my ability to enjoy it #kreiawasright

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What was that balance obsessed, zero sum religion from bakura called? The one that thought that Jedi sucked up all the power and that meant other people had to get space ALS to make up for it?

Because that, but screentime.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

also jedi are the least interesting part of the entire franchise and the fact that bullshit space wizards have become central to the plot of almost every starwars thing kills my ability to enjoy it #kreiawasright

The most interesting thing about Star Wars is its sheer scale of lawlessness. Like, you could have the whole galaxy being ruled by a racist human empire doing atrocities on the reg, and the galaxy is still so big that the margins of society are completely controlled by organized crime. It's the perfect setting for a sci fi crime epic, and they sort of got halfway there with the Solo movie. I dunno I didn't watch it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if you want to watch a han solo movie then just squint at big trouble in little china

THS
Sep 15, 2017

solo was good

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

THS posted:

solo was good

Except the fuckers couldn't leave "droids are oppressed slaves" as subtext.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

ikanreed posted:

remember the scene from rotj when they're in jaba's palace at the start and that one trash can robot is getting tortured by putting hot irons on its feet

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpaceGoku posted:

remember the scene from rotj when they're in jaba's palace at the start and that one trash can robot is getting tortured by putting hot irons on its feet

lol yeah that was when starwars was cool

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpaceGoku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O0-dCLFadQ

Serf
May 5, 2011

ikanreed posted:

how is it subtext? in the first 10 minutes of a new hope we see a slave auction

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i do like that vader's entire character arc from 4 > 6 is the story of a guy that really enjoys his original job (killing other wizards and flying space ships) and because he enjoys it he does really well at it, but then he does it so well that he gets promoted to a higher level of management, but his previous specialization in the skills of martial assassination and spaceship dueling are completely useless for his new role (being the project director of a massively bloated government defense contract) and he's clearly struggling to tread water with his boss (who is also going to look foolish if he promotes vader and then vader can't cut it) so he ends up having to fly through space to harangue various bureaucrats and other middle managers to make sure anything gets done on time and within budget, he has to hire with a bunch of 1099 contractors to cover up for his inability to effectively retain talent, and basically just shits the bed over every decision he has to make

truly, a character to which we can all relate

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i do like that vader's entire character arc from 4 > 6 is the story of a guy that really enjoys his original job (killing other wizards and flying space ships) and because he enjoys it he does really well at it, but then he does it so well that he gets promoted to a higher level of management, but his previous specialization in the skills of martial assassination and spaceship dueling are completely useless for his new role (being the project director of a massively bloated government defense contract) and he's clearly struggling to tread water with his boss (who is also going to look foolish if he promotes vader and then vader can't cut it) so he ends up having to fly through space to harangue various bureaucrats and other middle managers to make sure anything gets done on time and within budget, he has to hire with a bunch of 1099 contractors to cover up for his inability to effectively retain talent, and basically just shits the bed over every decision he has to make

truly, a character to which we can all relate

The Peter Principle in Space?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

lol yeah that was when starwars was cool

Imagine if the prequels hadn't dropped the ball on this one loving thing, and we saw qui gon cutting up what we understood to be impressed sentient creatures for the sake of loving trade deals.

Just that one thing done better.

But instead just "Roger Roger I'm a thing that can die en masse and still get a PG rating"

Serf
May 5, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Imagine if the prequels hadn't dropped the ball on this one loving thing, and we saw qui gon cutting up what we understood to be impressed sentient creatures for the sake of loving trade deals.

Just that one thing done better.

But instead just "Roger Roger I'm a thing that can die en masse and still get a PG rating"

i don't see it that way. the battle droids have quirks and idiosyncrasies. they are clearly sapient beings. qui-gon is a monster, and his order is evil. in the second film they employ their own slave army against the droid slave army

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Serf posted:

how is it subtext? in the first 10 minutes of a new hope we see a slave auction

It doesn't take much thought to put together, but you can totally take a surface read of "yeah the red eye things are just selling stolen robots"