Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I really hope they add support for the 1060 because there's no way I'm going to upgrade any time soon :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

lunar detritus posted:

I really hope they add support for the 1060 because there's no way I'm going to upgrade any time soon :negative:

I'm sure they will, this is just the easiest to get rock solid first.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Oof, I have a 960 on a seperate machine that has USB-C on the motherboard, but that's not supported. My main machine with a 1070 would struggle with Was hoping to test the Link there, guess I'll wait for other people to test it before figuring out what I'm gonna do.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

lunar detritus posted:

They did already. They updated their site.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Anyone have any suggestions/links for good cables to use with Link?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Butt Discussin posted:

Anyone have any suggestions/links for good cables to use with Link?

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1196476701967970304

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I found this post in reddit interesting as he tried the OC6 version:

quote:

So had some personal time to try it.
As someone who tried it at OC6, it feels like they improved it a lot. I don't have the same compression issues I ran into, and latency feels *great*.

Tried audica and had no issues.

It's still lower quality visuals then the rift S, but drat it's solid.
Blacks even look good.

edit: And from another forum

quote:

Was able to steal a couple minutes away and this poo poo is legit. Only game I tested was Pinball FX2 VR on Steam. Even with the amazing advancements with VD 1.8 and having a best case local network, I still don't feel it's playable with VD. With the Link cable, it's silky freaking smooth and if there's lag, it's now low enough not to bother me.
What a fantastic achievement for these guys.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 18, 2019

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Well either the USB cables I've got are garbage or the USB3 ports on the front of my machine are lovely because I can get Link to work for a couple seconds at a time then it DC's and reconnects. Ordered that recommended 10' cable and hopefully I'll be able to test that when it gets here Friday or Saturday.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I don't know how rampant it is, but if anyone pre-ordered Stormland through the Oculus store, check with whatever you used to pay because they've double billed me. There have been a few people on the Oculus subreddit that have also been double charged as well. I've talked to their support on Saturday and they said they would get back to me. I don't expect there to be any issue, but just a heads up.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So...

https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/status/1196566870360387584

:stare:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

:catstare:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm split on this. While it might be a kick in the balls for non-VR users, the effort they finally managed to bring up to create a game again, I sure would have liked it to have gone more to finishing the goddamn Halflife trilogy.

Then again, there's still the question how much of a game HL:A will be, anyway, in terms of hours of gameplay. Or gameplay itself for that matter.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Turns out, the only USB 3.0 cable I have at home is an extender. Womp Womp.

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 19, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Then again, there's still the question how much of a game HL:A will be, anyway, in terms of hours of gameplay. Or gameplay itself for that matter.

10 minute firefights, 30 minutes wandering the scene trying to figure out what physics object you're supposed to interact with.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
How barfy is Stormlands for someone who doesn't VR much these days?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm split on this. While it might be a kick in the balls for non-VR users, the effort they finally managed to bring up to create a game again, I sure would have liked it to have gone more to finishing the goddamn Halflife trilogy.

I'm going to say ~2-3 hour experience, and some arcade shooting range or something mode in it too for replay ability. Some kind of 'gravity gloves' to explain away being able to pick up stuff from a distance, teleport locomotion movement through some aperture portal mini device thing. Physics puzzles that involve picking up and stacking things, no complicated weapon mechanics like h3vr/onward, etc, climbing featured.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Red Box

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

wyoak posted:

How barfy is Stormlands for someone who doesn't VR much these days?

I'm relatively tolerant to motion sickness, it's broadly not barfy to me unless I'm just flying around close to stuff as fast as I can, which you won't really do by accident. If I'm trying to fly around like that I'll start noticing it a little bit after a while, but in the course of normal playing I didn't get any at all.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Even more good news

Oculus Link beta is now available

https://www.oculus.com/blog/play-rift-content-on-quest-with-oculus-link-available-now-in-beta/

edit: Didn't refresh the thread!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm going to say ~2-3 hour experience, and some arcade shooting range or something mode in it too for replay ability. Some kind of 'gravity gloves' to explain away being able to pick up stuff from a distance, teleport locomotion movement through some aperture portal mini device thing. Physics puzzles that involve picking up and stacking things, no complicated weapon mechanics like h3vr/onward, etc, climbing featured.

‘Flagship VR game’ kinda suggests a bigger campaign than that I reckon. Guess we’ll see.

(For all we know right now we just play the lifecycle of a face crab...)

Still, I for one am excite!

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
i hope you don't need knuckles to play the new half life

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Do you have to update the Quest itself for Link to work or is it only on the PC side? I'm not gonna be tricked into giving up root on the Quest.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zero VGS posted:

Do you have to update the Quest itself for Link to work or is it only on the PC side? I'm not gonna be tricked into giving up root on the Quest.

You have to be running 11.0 or higher on the Quest.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Is there the possibility of a really good wireless super-low-latency link in the near future, for those who don't wanna use a wire with their Quest?

I've got a 970 GTX card and I don't plan on upgrading that till next year. The link cable will have little benefit for me. But I could be tempted to upgrade my gfx card sooner if a great wireless option comes out.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

moolchaba posted:

Is there the possibility of a really good wireless super-low-latency link in the near future, for those who don't wanna use a wire with their Quest?

I've got a 970 GTX card and I don't plan on upgrading that till next year. The link cable will have little benefit for me. But I could be tempted to upgrade my gfx card sooner if a great wireless option comes out.

Have you tried out Virtual Desktop on a dedicated 5ghz 40mhz wifi channel? That works pretty well. Otherwise you'll probably be waiting for a 3rd party solution.

The company behind the wireless adapter for the Vive demoed wireless connectivity to the Quest but that looked like it was along the lines of Virtual Desktop or ALVR as I didn't see any hardware connected to the HMD. There's no direct video input for the Quest like there is for the Vive so it has to go through a decoding pass at a minimum with the Quest.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I'm hoping to HL2 levels of engine innovation and solutions. But it won't be that.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pixelate posted:

‘Flagship VR game’ kinda suggests a bigger campaign than that I reckon. Guess we’ll see.

(For all we know right now we just play the lifecycle of a face crab...)

Still, I for one am excite!

If theres one thing you should do in the VR world, its temper your expectations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Is there a blacksmith VR game yet?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Leal posted:

Is there a blacksmith VR game yet?

Some games with like, simple minigames, but no, no dedicated blacksmithing game i've ever heard of.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Township Tale has awesome smithing components

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Is there any way to know if my Quest is updating itself? Or do I just need to let it sit still for a while and be patient like a non-idiot child?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

jubjub64 posted:

Is there any way to know if my Quest is updating itself? Or do I just need to let it sit still for a while and be patient like a non-idiot child?

In the Quest, go to settings then all settings and you can see your current version there and probably force it to check for an update. You can probably toggle auto-update on/off in there too but you can also set that via the Oculus app on your phone by going to settings, clicking on the Quest, then I think it's under advanced or something.

I'm closing this ticket for now.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

punished milkman posted:

i hope you don't need knuckles to play the new half life

I think this is why they developed the knuckles to begin with! You can probably play it without, but I'm sure it's way loving cooler with. I'm saying this as someone who has never tried the knuckles, though...but it would make sense.

Skyarb posted:

I'm hoping to HL2 levels of engine innovation and solutions. But it won't be that.

I dunno, I feel like they haven't made a HL game since 2 because they wanted to do something with the same impact as the first two had. They were one of the firsts to show off VR with the lab demo, this game should be the culmination of everything they've learned since.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

In the Quest, go to settings then all settings and you can see your current version there and probably force it to check for an update. You can probably toggle auto-update on/off in there too but you can also set that via the Oculus app on your phone by going to settings, clicking on the Quest, then I think it's under advanced or something.

I'm closing this ticket for now.

I have done all that already but there is nowhere that says "update right the gently caress now dammit" and I'm frustrated.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Oculus Link is pretty great. Much better than ALVR / Virtual Desktop in quality. However, I can't get audio to play on my headset. It just doesn't work no matter what I do. I submitted a ticket, but literally nobody else I know has tried Link so I can't bounce ideas off them either. Welp.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

jubjub64 posted:

I have done all that already but there is nowhere that says "update right the gently caress now dammit" and I'm frustrated.

I think that feature was added this version. You either have to factory reset your Quest, or leave it connected to your Wifi and charger for a few hours.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/valvesoftware/status/1196566870360387584

Good luck Valve, we’ll see.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Reminder, there are like 3 portal VR games, and they're all 10 minutes long. Don't get too hype just because "half-life".

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Both portal games were excellent though. Portal 2 was the last good game valve made :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zaphod42 posted:

Reminder, there are like 3 portal VR games, and they're all 10 minutes long. Don't get too hype just because "half-life".

"Flagship" kinda means a bit more than a demo. I'm optimistic.