Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Sailor Cat posted:

I mean a joke made by the child of a crazy person, like someone made a kitschy home decoration with photoshop that described their crazy parent's attitudes, beliefs, and probably a couple direct quotes. It wouldn't be out-of-place as a post in this thread as exactly that.

Nah, my biological mother said poo poo like that word for word and meant it. For some folks that isn't hyperbole, it's an actual code for parenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Nah, my biological mother said poo poo like that word for word and meant it. For some folks that isn't hyperbole, it's an actual code for parenting.

I've known a few people share posts exactly like it on Facebook, the also call themselves Mama Bears.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Sailor Cat posted:

I think it's a joke

It can be yours for starting at $47.99 plus shipping!
Choose your own colors!

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

nashona posted:

Something a soon to be estranged parent would hang in their house.

Here's a fun(not fun) game.

Replace "Parent" with "Husband" and "Children" with "Wife", then post it as a reply, and watch your Facebook feed melt like a day old candle.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Hobby Lobby is one hell of a drug.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

fist4jesus posted:

Daddy says im the best at french kissing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Typical boomer parents playing favorites

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nashona posted:

It can be yours for starting at $47.99 plus shipping!
Choose your own colors!

Wow, that's terrible.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
that screed is what southern Baptist parents actually believe

usually one of them was in the military

edit: in houses like that, expressing "I hate you" out loud would earn you some severe punishment, so you have to mutter it. I got hit for things like that but it turns out that kids say that poo poo all the time??? and the proper answer is a sympathetic "I know." Now that I have a child of my own and am developing a healthy relationship with him I can see how extremely bad my parents were at basically everything relating to parenting. It's amazing and awful to realize that the poisonous relationship I had with them growing up was entirely their fault instead of mine for being a "disrespectful and spoiled child."

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 18, 2019

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Hobby Lobby is one hell of a drug.

Estranged parents funding ISIS by proxy sounds about right

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

fist4jesus posted:

Daddy says im the best at french kissing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Probation reason: "In addition to being a non-sequitor, this thread is for people who no longer have close relationships with their parents. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours."

:holymoley:, Barudak

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
https://imdb.com/title/tt8582254/

Watching this dumb tv movie reminded me of this thread.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

goldenninjawarrior posted:

https://imdb.com/title/tt8582254/

Watching this dumb tv movie reminded me of this thread.
Was it enjoyable?

quote:

“Dear Estranged Child,
I just want you to know that I love you, and always will, even though you clearly don’t love me anymore and have cut me completely out of your life because of my imperfections. I am so sorry I am not perfect. God knows I wish I were and I sure did try my hardest to be a good mom. While I was raising you, I was going through my own stuff too (bills piling up, parents sick, death of grandparents, upset teachers and principles, problems at work, the list is so long), yet I truly loved you – even through all my hardships).

I wish I were perfect and I wish I would have handled every problem in life perfectly. I wish I would have handled getting cut off by you better, too. My heart was aching and bleeding when you did that and I am still trying to figure out how to do that right. I really am trying my best to accept it. I am so sorry I don’t measure up to that perfect mom you want me to be. But even if you can’t forgive me for all of my imperfections, I need you to know that I can forgive myself. There is only one who ever walked this earth who is perfect and He has forgiven me and wants me to forgive myself, too. I hope you are never judged so harshly for any imperfections you may have and I hope your own children never turn on you. I hope you never have to figure out how to handle this pain perfectly.

There really is nothing else to say except that I love you and always will, whether you forgive me and let me back in your life or not. For my own well being, I have to let you go until you decide to forgive me. I have found that reaching out only made you madder so I stopped doing that. But you know where I am if you ever want to fix things. It would take a lot of work to rebuild the trust that was lost from this estrangement but I love you enough to try. The real question is, do you have enough love in your heart to try?”

A letter to … my estranged son – please come back to me

quote:

You have chosen a life without me. How long do you need? I have tried many forms of contact but you block me. drat technology. It has been 10 months since that final day. Will this silence last for ever? I ought not to equate my agony to grieving for the dead: you are alive, so I hold on to hope with faltering fingertips.

I am happy that you are forging ahead with your passions and your friendships. I am pleased for you and I am proud of you whether you want that or not. All I want is for you to let me know if you intend this silence to last for ever? If so, then please help me to understand why. All of the anger, which has been building up in you since you were 17 – what is that fully about?

I have looked up estrangement on the internet and all I can find are examples of forced marriage or violent alcoholic parents, or similar. I can’t find anyone to relate to. I had thought that you and I were close. I miss you every 20 minutes until it makes me feel sick.

Rejection in a romantic love relationship is deeply painful, but from a son, the wound cannot heal over with time. I can’t replace you with a new beau. I know that you think that I should be happy, because I still have your sister at home to care for, but that is not how motherhood works. The wound is gaping and it is tender. It becomes reinfected daily.

I look out for you on every street corner. A tiny glimmer of hope briefly possesses me when I see someone who might be you. My vision cruelly morphs the most unlikely strangers in to your shape. Many times each day my brain plays tricks.

I have tried numerous forms of counsellor and you would be pleased to know that they all confirm that I have no choice but to give you space and to get on with my own life. This is what I do, but you are below the surface of everything. I am never truly laughing, never relaxed or content.

Tears burst out of me at the most inappropriate moments, at any reminder. It endangers my working life and my productivity.

Other people! I know you would think that I am shallow to care, but many of those who know us do judge me, and they gossip.

I avoid any conversation about you; I can’t stand questions about how you are doing. I deflect them and reverse them until I come across as being cold and closed up. I won’t be pitied, especially by those who will make judgments or will inevitably pat themselves on the back for their own parental success, in comparison with my shabby rejection. Yes, I have become paranoid – I resent what seems to be everyone else having children who enjoy their company, who have meals with them, and talk things through with them.

Anger. You are not the only one. I have that, too. Perhaps you are afraid of that and that is why you won’t come back? I am gut-wrenchingly upset that you think it is OK to do this to me: to your mum. Where is the love in that? Would your friends do it to their mums? Why are their mums superior and so much more deserving than I am?

I am so afraid that the longer this continues, the harder it will be for you to break it. I taught you “strength in silence” when there seemed to be no other choice, to help you through a tricky rejection, but I never expected you to use it against me. I used to believe that we were close; I always loved being your mother. It is not even half a life without you. Here is an opportunity for you to do something good. Please come back to me, or at least explain why, so that I may better understand. Please help me to find some peace from the tormenting questions in my head.

Dear Estranged Adult Sons and Daughters

quote:

This open letter is for you. Every single day I hear from mothers and fathers who are grieving your loss. They can’t imagine how this happened and how the son and/or daughter that they loved and raised could so easily dismiss them from their lives.

For almost 17 years now my child has been estranged from me. She left home as a teenager. At one point she was the absolute love of my life. I would have died for her, period. I wanted more for her than what I ever wanted for myself. When she was growing up many friends shared with me that they wished they had the kind of relationship we shared. I really believed we were close, very close. I never dreamt that one day she would walk away and never turn back. Nor did I ever comprehend her hatred and deep desire to hurt me. More than 15 years into the estrangement and she still tries to hurt me.

When children are little they are easy and often their love for us comes easily. When they grow up they begin to judge us. I can say that I have letters in my child’s own handwriting that told me how much she loved me. I can say that she attended numerous proms and the one time I could not go to the dress shop with her, she shared this dialogue with me; “Mom all my friends were bringing me dresses, lots of dresses and none of them were right for me. Then I asked myself “what would my mom do?” and “I knew that you would look for an ivory colored gown and as soon as I realized that, I immediately found the perfect gown.”

I share this because it was unsolicited when she shared this with me. My sense was that although I had to work and couldn’t make the appointment she had at the dress shop with her girlfriends, I was in essence there with her! Yet not long after this she would estrange.

For more than 23 years I was estranged from my own mother. What did my mother do to me that I felt this was an appropriate thing to do? It was confided in me that my mother’s husband was a sexual abuser. I believed the child that shared this and I never wanted my children around him after this information was made known to me. My mother didn’t want to hear it or to believe it. It was easier for her to make me out to be a bad person rather than face the truth about the man that she married and stayed married to until he died. She loved him above all else. I was eliminated from the family. And I made it easy for her to do this by walking away.

Regardless of how justified I thought I was in removing myself and my children, this was not an ideal situation. I was angry and I was hurt and I was disappointed in my mother. This lasted for many years until I came to peace and acceptance. We never reconciled before she died. My sisters would decide to delete my existence from her obituary. Today I have more peace than ever before, I know that she knows the truth now.

Regardless of the details of my story I am here to tell you that there are no winners in estrangement. As justified as you may believe that you are in estranging from your parents, it is not healthy. It is not normal. It is not an act of love. If anything it is an act of intolerance.

The saddest thing for you is that if you have children, no matter their ages and or how close you may be at this time, by virtue of the fact that you have chosen this, you have now modeled behavior for your own children. They are very likely to dismiss you from their lives the same way they have witnessed you do it to your mother and/or father. Believe it. Case studies support this.

What you are in essence modeling for your own children is that 1) parents aren’t important and can be easily erased from your life 2) disrespect 3) silent treatment 4) judgment 5) lack of tolerance and lack of forgiveness. What you are losing is your roots, your family history and heritage. If you are a biological child you miss out on your family health history. Your children are missing out on knowing their family and their grandparents. Lost years can never be made up.

I believe that most all parents love their children. Maybe it isn’t perfect but they aren’t perfect and neither are you. No one is perfect.

If you are estranged because of what you have done you should try and make amends before they die. As bad as it may be, most mothers and fathers are loving toward their children. If you do the work and fix what you broke they will probably at least try and forgive you. And if for some reason they can’t at least you will know that you tried.

Like many of you I have other relationships that I created through the years, I have “other mothers” and “other children” that I have loved and have loved me too. They have helped me to heal and to fill many of the voids. But the reality is that no one can take the place of our birth parents. That history cannot be re-written. And our children come from us. They are a part of our being and our souls and our hearts are forever connected.

Do you need to be “right?” or do you need “peace?” Loving ourselves allows us to love others, loving our parents is an extension of self-love because whether you like it or not, that is where you come from.

No one said that you have to see them every day, no one said you have to speak with them every day but having peace with your parents is what you do for yourself. Remember one day your child will grow up and they too will judge you. Could you measure up to the same yardstick you have chosen to use to measure mom and dad? Would you want your grown adult child treating you the same way that you have chosen to treat your parents?

It’s not over until we take our last breathe. Making peace with your parents is making peace with yourself. Forgiveness is the gift that you give to yourself!

Make 2015 the year of love and of forgiveness and watch how much better your life becomes when you aren’t holding onto anger or ill will toward others.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Obviously the point is that you're judging me, as that affects me. My behavior only affects you and is therefore irrelevant.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Right into my veinsssss

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
You could start a multiplex cinema the way these people project. Goddamn.

My oldest brother was the one to shake me out of the concept of familial obligation. I had been somewhat resentful that he didn’t interact w me more but I was also a barely functioning alcoholic for a number of years. He explained the worldview he learned in therapy, and it made sense. If your life is a show, then you get to choose who is in the front row.

It allowed me to put my parents a little further from me, which I think allowed me to forgive them a little more. If I’m not as attached, I don’t feel so let down. I recognize their flaws a bit more clearly, and my bro’s and I have fun laughing at the things that used to really needle at us.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
They see no issue with the little "jabs" they throw in the middle of their multi-paragraph pity screeds.

"Here's a chance for you to do something good: forgive me."
"I have enough love in me to forgive, do YOU have enough love in you?"

My mom does that poo poo too and it's just like, why couldn't you have said all those nice things without the little "oh but also, gently caress you" thrown in?

I don't know the word for it, maybe just 'dramatic' but I feel like her and a lot of these parents fall into a pattern of saying things because they SOUND powerful or deep or something. Maybe it's too much daytime television or something but they always seem to pick the most grandeur and exaggerated way of conveying things.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

trickybiscuits posted:

Was it enjoyable?

It was funny in a cheap movie way, and it was interesting to watch something that felt literally like scene after scene plucked straight from this thread and molded into a Lifetime movie. Any enjoyment you'd get out of watching it, you'd probably get just from the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF6ulngqnMs

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

For a fun game, search the page with "I " to see the quoted sections light up like somebody turned on the christmas tree.

First paragraph manages to say "I" 10 times in only 4 sentences!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's a thought I had. Are there any examples of the opposite of what is happening in this thread?

For example there is a nice normal retired couple whose kids have long left the nest. But they keep getting phone calls and texts from their adult son snooping and interfering in their lives, and getting pissy when they want to be able to enjoy their lives without him, or aren't as appreciative of the Fathers day cologne that he bought them etc.

I doubt there would be as many of these types of relationships because, (in my small experience), I have always thought that mummys boys, and daddies girls etc are always a co-dependent relationship where if the kid is clingy/over-involved then the parent is fully on board with it.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Is this a scenario where the narcissist focuses on the parents instead of children, or is it just where the child, not the parent is the problem? I'm not sure there is an exact opposite scenario. In my experience, these people fling their poo poo in every direction. I just imagine my stepmom as a child. She would unironically post that psycho mom screed on Facebook, and I hear her voice in a lot of these rejected parent forum posts. Her parents were relatively normal, from what I know, and they kept a lot of her worst behavior in check when she was young. They seemed to be very aware of her toxic personality and kept their distance. We only ever saw them at weddings or funerals. Stepmom would make a big show about seeing her "mommy and daddy" and then we wouldn't hear anything else about them for years.

Another thought I had about that was these people aren't really interested in having and maintaining relationships. They don't seem to need that approval from mom and dad or any other direct family, unless they think it will get them a big inheritance or something.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a thought I had. Are there any examples of the opposite of what is happening in this thread?

For example there is a nice normal retired couple whose kids have long left the nest. But they keep getting phone calls and texts from their adult son snooping and interfering in their lives, and getting pissy when they want to be able to enjoy their lives without him, or aren't as appreciative of the Fathers day cologne that he bought them etc.

I doubt there would be as many of these types of relationships because, (in my small experience), I have always thought that mummys boys, and daddies girls etc are always a co-dependent relationship where if the kid is clingy/over-involved then the parent is fully on board with it.

We have one like that in my family, a third cousin about my age. She's almost estranged from her immediate family, very low-contact; as I understand it, the distance is the family's idea. My cousin is pretty cool in a lot of ways, and a lot of fun, but she's overbearing when she's happy. According to her older sister, the last time they saw each other, they had a crazy screaming argument ended in a physical fight--these are women in their thirties. And the older one is not at all like that, she's one of the last people you'd ever imagine to get into a fight, so it had to be really bad. It's been a couple of years of low-contact, and the family doesn't seem to regret it. I mean, they're sorry that she can't be a part of their regular lives, but she's very, very unhappy and it's very tiring to deal with her.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
At this point I admit it: I AM actually deriving pleasure from the misery of these estranged parents. I'm sure their kids aren't and it was only for their own safety that they cut off their parents. But watching from the sidelines I'm like hahahah rot you nasty old lady

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

At this point I admit it: I AM actually deriving pleasure from the misery of these estranged parents. I'm sure their kids aren't and it was only for their own safety that they cut off their parents. But watching from the sidelines I'm like hahahah rot you nasty old lady

Yeah, I mean, I think that's why I keep reading this thread. I hope their children are living happy, productive, rewarding lives without their parents.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I don't know if anyone chooses to have an impaired empathetic capacity or poor ability to self-reflect. Things happened in these people's lives that led them to become abominable parents (and likely abominable people generally), and their pain and confusion are fully experienced. Many of them probably do understand at some level that they've done wrong (do wrong). But they're incompetent, this is shown, and perhaps to recognize someone is incompetent means recognizing they might not be able to do any better.

I think reading these can be therapeutic, to a point, and probably that vindictive pleasure (which I know too) can also be therapeutic, but ultimately the right feeling to land on is sympathy, because every part of this is tragedy.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

trickybiscuits posted:

I can say that she attended numerous proms and the one time I could not go to the dress shop with her, she shared this dialogue with me; “Mom all my friends were bringing me dresses, lots of dresses and none of them were right for me. Then I asked myself “what would my mom do?”and “I knew that you would look for an ivory colored gown and as soon as I realized that, I immediately found the perfect gown.”

Any mother who wants her daughter to wear an ivory-colored prom dress deserves to be estranged. That poo poo is one bouquet from looking like you're getting married at prom

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Antivehicular posted:

Any mother who wants her daughter to wear an ivory-colored prom dress deserves to be estranged. That poo poo is one bouquet from looking like you're getting married at prom

Married at prom is a juicy name for a record.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Literally A Person posted:

Married at prom is a juicy name for a record.

Isn’t prom night dumpster baby an actual song? :thunk:

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antivehicular posted:

My mom has her issues (she's working on them), but I always appreciate that she made my senior prom dress the way I wanted, except she talked me out of an almost-white fabric because, "No, you'll look like a child bride."

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

goldenninjawarrior posted:

It was funny in a cheap movie way, and it was interesting to watch something that felt literally like scene after scene plucked straight from this thread and molded into a Lifetime movie. Any enjoyment you'd get out of watching it, you'd probably get just from the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF6ulngqnMs
Wow, that's some quality cheese!

quote:

Fortunately I’ve never gotten such a letter from my son, but I’ve done enough research on estrangement to have read these type of complaints in articles and forum posts about how horrible ECs parents were. Currently I’m reading a book called Into the Wild about a young man [Chris McCandless] who estranged himself from his family back in the early 90s and became almost a vagabond traveling around doing whatever caught his fancy. He ended up decided to go live off the land in Alaska in 1992 and starved to death. The book details how he couldn’t forgive his father for some indiscretions.

The thing I want to point out is that our ECs who are soooo incredibly judgmental that what used to be considered the normal ups and downs of family life–and I’m NOT talking about abuse, just the fact that no parent is perfect are in for a huge shock when they find out that ‘the measure you give is the measure you get’ to quote Jesus, and their kids do the same thing to them. But by then it will be too late to make amends and they’ll be on here wondering why their kids hate and despise them.

Also, the mental health profession is part of the problem in all this as the counselors take the side of their patient no matter how foolish or stupid it is [got to keep the patient coming back for billable hours], and often encourage them to estrange themselves from their family by convincing them that the family is toxic. Again, things that were once seen as just normal behavior are now abuse, and parents especially are expected to be so incredibly perfect that within two generations, no one will have a relationship with their family as EVERYONE is perfect, or toxic as they like to call it.

McCandless's father was living a double life and having children with two different women. What the hell sort of family is it where that's "normal?!" (Also McCandless's sister later claimed that their parents were severely abusive but that doesn't appear in the book.)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

trickybiscuits posted:

what used to be considered the normal ups and downs of family life–and I’m NOT talking about abuse

Somehow I think her estranged children are talking about abuse.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

BrigadierSensible posted:

I'm uncertain if my mom views our estrangent as her being confused as to why I'm distant or if she thinks "no surprise." I've overheard her joke about wanting to kill me, and she has lectured me a lot about how I'm not good enough and I clearly care about my friends more than family because I'm happier around them and do more with them than her. The last thing she said to me was she didn't want to talk to me until I didn't have Lyme disease anymore. I'm the black sheep who doesn't belong, but it's more that I escaped early by running away at 17 and turned out nothing like them. Big part of that was not beong allowed to see my boyfriend and when I said it wasn't fair because I loved him, she screamed at me about being raped by her brother at 13 to make me feel bad about being attracted to someone I guess? I don't even know what her point even was other than trying to make me feel guilty about it somehow?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

To understand the boomer, you must first realize that they are all solipsists

I'm 100% serious about this, every boomer I've ever interacted with has acted this way and I used to work in a field where the average age was like 60 so I've dealt with a lot of them

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

trickybiscuits posted:

Wow, that's some quality cheese!

quote:

Also, the mental health profession is part of the problem in all this as the counselors take the side of their patient no matter how foolish or stupid it is [got to keep the patient coming back for billable hours], and often encourage them to estrange themselves from their family by convincing them that the family is toxic.

Hahaha, go gently caress yourself you old rear end in a top hat.

Speaking of, I saw a child psychologist twice when I was a kid after an incident. My parents were in the room the whole time and talked over/argued against anything I tried to say.

I never understood whythey were allowed to both be in the room and to talk over me.

When I asked my dad about this not too long ago, he insisted 'you wanted us to be there.' :rolleyes:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Double post.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Speaking of, I saw a child psychologist twice when I was a kid after an incident. My parents were in the room the whole time and talked over/argued against anything I tried to say.

I never understood whythey were allowed to both be in the room and to talk over me.

When I asked my dad about this not too long ago, he insisted 'you wanted us to be there.' :rolleyes:

because they were paying

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I had the same conversation with my parents twice

"Oh you never mentioned problems with us to (your counselor)"

"Oh you never told (your counselor) you knew you were trans"

Yeah cause even 10 year old me wasn't a loving idiot and half the time you were in the room

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

For some reason that reminded me of this bizarre power play my mom did when I was 15 and going through a severe untreated depressive episode (immediately prior to this event I spent about 2 weeks begging her to let me see a psychiatrist because it was obvious to myself and everyone around me that I needed professional, medication-driven help but apparently my uncontrollable mood episodes were my own fault)

She bought a copy of some weird "how to parent your unruly teenager" book from a religious bookstore and brought it home, sat me down and told me I was not acting the way I should and I needed to improve, then she gave me the book so I could read it and do what it said

The book essentially said "always submit to authority 100% and any problems that come out of this are divine punishment for your sins, also your parents must approve of your friends" which feels like it was designed to smooth your brain and shrink your social safety net for induction into a cult or at least a lifetime of horribly abusive relationships that you're too full of self-loathing to escape

Of course when I brought this up a few years later as being extremely hosed up, she insisted it never happened and that I must have dreamed it, which is her go-to for retconning abuse and I think the industry standard for that sort of abuser, like a weird gaslighting thing where you make the victim question their most basic grasp on reality

God drat this thread makes me angry, I wish we all had boring parents

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'No one else has real problems, they're all made up for attention' is basically the ruling class attitude for like... ever.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

blatman posted:

Of course when I brought this up a few years later as being extremely hosed up, she insisted it never happened and that I must have dreamed it, which is her go-to for retconning abuse and I think the industry standard for that sort of abuser, like a weird gaslighting thing where you make the victim question their most basic grasp on reality

My mom does this any time I bring up hosed up poo poo she did when I was a child. Not even the big stuff, just little poo poo like how she used to throw away my clothes she didn't like that I bought with my own money, or how she nailed my window open for an entire summer even though I had debilitating childhood astraphobia. She'll just say it never happened and then quickly change the subject. It's loving bonkers.

Also it's super cringey to see how viscerally these people describe the pain their children inflict on them. "Bleeding, wounded, aching hearts" "reinfected" and so on. Grow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

computer angel posted:

Also it's super cringey to see how viscerally these people describe the pain their children inflict on them. "Bleeding, wounded, aching hearts" "reinfected" and so on. Grow up.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. It's probably just drama, that's the easy answer. They seem more sympathetic in their eyes if people think their estranged children are effectively giving them the Prometheus treatment.