Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yes those accents are Northern not Welsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

Her quasi-Icelandic accent is especially cool because in every other game ever (and basically all movies), British = Foreign and I hate that.

It made her uniquely exotic and I wish more pieces of media would use something other than British for forners.

FF14 has Viera and they're ALL icelandic!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I'm currently playing through Stormblood and I love the FF versions of all the different cultures but it feels like they spent this entire expansion so far building the world and not having a story

Kugane is FF Japan with Samurai and Ninjas and primals that are straight up Japanese gods, Ala Mhigo is heavy Middle Eastern vibes. I see people say Persia/India but I see Arab as well - although most media mixes all of that up into one bucket anyway. A lot of the characters have actual Arabic names and the invasion+subjugation by another power describes the middle east for the last 1000 years.

Then in case that wasn't enough, you wander into FF Mongolia and spend hours learning about the different Mongolian tribes and their customs. I loved it don't get me wrong but the overall plot has just kind of been forgotten?

I took a break for a bit between all the new releases and work getting really busy, I'm right before the Doma Castle dungeon where it sounds like the story will ramp up again.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I'm currently playing through Stormblood and I love the FF versions of all the different cultures but it feels like they spent this entire expansion so far building the world and not having a story

Kugane is FF Japan with Samurai and Ninjas and primals that are straight up Japanese gods, Ala Mhigo is heavy Middle Eastern vibes. I see people say Persia/India but I see Arab as well - although most media mixes all of that up into one bucket anyway. A lot of the characters have actual Arabic names and the invasion+subjugation by another power describes the middle east for the last 1000 years.

Then in case that wasn't enough, you wander into FF Mongolia and spend hours learning about the different Mongolian tribes and their customs. I loved it don't get me wrong but the overall plot has just kind of been forgotten?

I took a break for a bit between all the new releases and work getting really busy, I'm right before the Doma Castle dungeon where it sounds like the story will ramp up again.

Basically Stormblood kinda hurts itself by doing too much, that soudns hilarious when you know the next expansion will take you to an entire OTHER WORLD, but Stormblood especially feels like a grand desire to flesh out the world of Eorzea.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

HW really benefited from being almost entirely about Ishgard. I feel like they could have gotten 2 expansions out of this world but apparently SHB is so good it's better they did it this way :v:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
As a Brit it is nice to see a bit more range in accents in games rather than cockney, Scottish, and posh twat.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Stormblood is great but clearly feels like two half finished expansions mashed together. I do appreciate the world expansion, but it is almost comical how quickly the bad guys are thrown out of power.

At least the last bit of the story line and music associated with it are great.

DeadButDelicious posted:

As a Brit it is nice to see a bit more range in accents in games rather than cockney, Scottish, and posh twat.

Same. The Fable games were sort of interesting because of all the South Western accents they had.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I mean let's not let FFXII off the hook here because they absolutely did do that for Archades.

to be fair, XII's voice direction wrt archades is less "british=foreign" and more "british=member of the invading/colonizing national power," which may be a little on the nose but eh...

and there are variations within that as well: the low-ranking judges and vulgars in old archades are portrayed with cockney accents, while the nobility (including balthier) and judges magister speak in received pronunciation! this even goes for gabranth, who in the presence of the emperor and his fellow judges speaks with an accent approaching RP but not quite there -- which reflects his story as a member of a subjugated nation who has resorted to assimilating with the conquering power to survive. neat!

anyway XII is my favorite FF and i like to geek out over the localization of it :shobon: also, here's a really neat article on the localization and voice direction of XII that touches on the decision to utilize different accents to make ivalice more diverse: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/a-voice-for-ivalice-the-localization-and-voice-acting-of-final-fantasy-xii

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DeadButDelicious posted:

Along similar lines, I wish there was more variety in American accents without them being used for joke characters. Like nobody would take a character with a southern accent seriously, but that's always been my headcanon for Cloud, for example ("Let's mosey"). Instead everyone talks with a boring flatass midwest accent.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Squall, but every "...whatever" is replaced with FHUGGEDABOUTIT

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Making everyone sound like they are from the east coast of the US would certainly make FFVIII interesting.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

FFXII but everybody has a philly or baltimore accent

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The part of Fran will be played by Marky Mark.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

SeanBeansShako posted:

Making everyone sound like they are from the east coast of the US would certainly make FFVIII interesting.

More like west coast surfer Bros

Zell is Spicoli

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Solovey posted:

to be fair, XII's voice direction wrt archades is less "british=foreign" and more "british=member of the invading/colonizing national power," which may be a little on the nose but eh...

and there are variations within that as well: the low-ranking judges and vulgars in old archades are portrayed with cockney accents, while the nobility (including balthier) and judges magister speak in received pronunciation! this even goes for gabranth, who in the presence of the emperor and his fellow judges speaks with an accent approaching RP but not quite there -- which reflects his story as a member of a subjugated nation who has resorted to assimilating with the conquering power to survive. neat!

anyway XII is my favorite FF and i like to geek out over the localization of it :shobon: also, here's a really neat article on the localization and voice direction of XII that touches on the decision to utilize different accents to make ivalice more diverse: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/a-voice-for-ivalice-the-localization-and-voice-acting-of-final-fantasy-xii

XII has extremely serious pacing issues. The part where you have to run around the oil platforms or whatever they are in the desert is mind numbingly boring. I prefer gameplay over story, but sometimes the stretches of gameplay are so long and tedious that you almost forget there is a story and then you get a short cutscene and its pretty jarring.

I never understood the complaint that XII plays itself. All FFs play themselves to a certain extent, whether you are setting gambits, selecting auto battle or changing cursor settings to memory and mashing the button on the controller and then making 'adjustments' as needed for pretty much everything except bosses.

FF battles and dungeons have always been more about resource management than battle tactics and command selection which is probably why I hate FFXIIIs system so much. Being auto healed at the end of battle truly makes it feel boring with no consequence.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Along similar lines, I wish there was more variety in American accents without them being used for joke characters. Like nobody would take a character with a southern accent seriously, but that's always been my headcanon for Cloud, for example ("Let's mosey"). Instead everyone talks with a boring flatass midwest accent.

It depends on the type of Southern. Southern yokel? Probably not but a nice, buttery smooth Southern accent is always a winner.

Of course I guess Cloud would be a yokel.

Also I'm from the Midwest! We rule because we sound like nothing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

It depends on the type of Southern. Southern yokel? Probably not but a nice, buttery smooth Southern accent is always a winner.

Of course I guess Cloud would be a yokel.

Also I'm from the Midwest! We rule because we sound like nothing.

im from the south, and yall absolutely sound like something, which is to say, cant even pronounce bag right

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

i always imagine ff characters speaking fairly standard broadcast american english because in my brain's natural sound banks it's either that or hce

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Doesn't Cid have a Southern accent in the EU stuff?

Also Cloud strikes me as more a Midwesterner than a Southerner. Hell, let's split the difference and say he'd be from South Dakota.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

Doesn't Cid have a Southern accent in the EU stuff?

Also Cloud strikes me as more a Midwesterner than a Southerner. Hell, let's split the difference and say he'd be from South Dakota.

Make Cloud be from rural northern Minnesota, eh.

Tifa talks like Frances McDormand's character from Fargo.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
And Aerith was raised in a dystopian hell-slum, so obviously she has a twinge of New Jersey in her voice.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

And Aerith was raised in a dystopian hell-slum, so obviously she has a twinge of New Jersey in her voice.

Aerith is from the loving Bronx

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I love everything about this conversation but most of all Minnesotan Cloud don't you know.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Elentor posted:

You make me want to grind FF3 and I don't even remember FF3.

DON'T DO IYes please join me in getting all achievements in all of them starting with FF3. Spend 800 hours very slowly killing Level 1 Goblins.

Also are you all meaning to tell me FF3 had more of a story that was dummied out? Seriously? I watched the intro FMV early on and kept waiting for the scenes from it to happen in the game and they never did. The party were all interchangeable cardboard cutouts. "Protagonist", "Softhearted Boy", "Stern Knight" and "Girl".

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cartoon Violence posted:

DON'T DO IYes please join me in getting all achievements in all of them starting with FF3. Spend 800 hours very slowly killing Level 1 Goblins.

Also are you all meaning to tell me FF3 had more of a story that was dummied out? Seriously? I watched the intro FMV early on and kept waiting for the scenes from it to happen in the game and they never did. The party were all interchangeable cardboard cutouts. "Protagonist", "Softhearted Boy", "Stern Knight" and "Girl".

Honestly, looking through the Cutting Room Floor page for it, it looks like there's more unused text than not. They GUTTED the game. Was there really that little room on the cartridge for text? What gives?

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Cartoon Violence posted:

Literally everything in the FMV was a scene in the game that was cut, alongside about 1-2 additional unused scenes for every single area in the game, which actually give some minor characterization to everyone and some completely unused subplots involving some side characters. It's honestly insane how much effort went into trying to step them up from being interchangeable cutouts and making them their own characters that proceeded to then all be cut entirely.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
haha, i'd never read that about ff3 ds before. that's wild

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Polderjoch posted:

Literally everything in the FMV was a scene in the game that was cut, alongside about 1-2 additional unused scenes for every single area in the game, which actually give some minor characterization to everyone and some completely unused subplots involving some side characters. It's honestly insane how much effort went into trying to step them up from being interchangeable cutouts and making them their own characters that proceeded to then all be cut entirely.

Tanaka strikes yet again.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

WHAT THE gently caress! Are you saying that boring-rear end bland-rear end game I spent 850 hours playing could have been BETTER but the dev team decided not to?!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tanaka is more of a "pretend we made the characters good because I'm not gonna loving do it" kind of director/storyteller.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Polderjoch posted:

I did not know that, is there a write up somewhere of this stuff?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
15 should have let you fight the giant demons from kingsglaive

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Onmi posted:

I did not know that, is there a write up somewhere of this stuff?

Is a page that has most of it, albeit untranslated. There was a writeup on gamefaqs or the like I think that had the gist of most scenes, while skipping over some that just boiled down to "party reacts to the dungeon they just entered" but I saw that probably a good few years ago so dunno where it is now, if it's still there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cartoon Violence posted:

WHAT THE gently caress! Are you saying that boring-rear end bland-rear end game I spent 850 hours playing could have been BETTER but the dev team decided not to?!

Tanaka is the one responsible for FF14 1.0 and was in charge of FF11 during its most bullshit years.

His game design philosophies are pretty drat terrible.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

Tanaka is the one responsible for FF14 1.0 and was in charge of FF11 during its most bullshit years.

His game design philosophies are pretty drat terrible.
FFXI > FF3 DS > FFXIV 1.0 > working on Puzzle & Dragons at GungHo, dude's career is loving stellar, it might be the literal worst ever

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Cloud's absolutely got a fuckin' yooper accent oh my god this is perfect.

Elephant Ambush posted:

:hmmyes:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Irvine is a bay area techbro that constantly pitches horrible start up ideas.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Whalley posted:

Cloud's absolutely got a fuckin' yooper accent oh my god this is perfect.

:hmmyes:

Cid is a surfer/stoner

Barret is Cajun

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Nanaki is French-Canadian