Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tart Kitty posted:

I could literally gay gush about Barbara Crampton for pages. First up, how has she not starred in a Dorian Gray adaption

Wouldn't that just be a documentary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Blast Fantasto posted:

Watched Chopping Mall today for the first time. As soon as it started I was like “is that the mall from Fast Times at Ridgemont High?” - then it was.

Fun movie though - solid ownage via head explosion and peak Barbara Crampton

Rental Reviews covered it last month, it's a fun video: https://youtu.be/CHbY6fcqPak

Violator
May 15, 2003

Edit: God dang, Awful app just edited my original post instead of making a new one. Here’s what I said:

Haunt: I’m a sucker for good guy revenge so the last 30 seconds really worked for me. The characters are generally likable so it’s pretty tense in spots. Better made than similar movies I’ve seen I liked it.

Trick: Terrible. I ended up turning it off after about 10 minutes. The camera work, lighting, effects, shaky cam, etc. We’re all very offputting. I haven’t liked a single movie these two guys of made. MBV, Jason X, drive angry, and this has all been thumbs down from me.

-

Speaking of good guy revenge, I’ve never been of the opinion that the ending of Devil’s Rejects makes the three sympathetic and that the sheriff is at a same level of cruelty as they are. They’ve tortured, raped, mutilated, and murdered a poo poo ton of people by that point, so when they finally get caught I’m hollering “gently caress ‘em up, Sheriff!” You can’t skin a woman alive and then terrorize her until she’s run over by a dump truck and then be made sympathetic.

I’m 1000% against torture in real life, but sometimes it’s cathartic for a character to get revenge. Like Steve Austin beating up Vince McMahon in the hospital or Arnold blowing up a team of bad guys.

I rewatched House of a 1000 Corpses on Halloween and it’s interesting how much more bonkers that movie is. Underground robot enhanced mutants, pits of mutants, etc. After rewatching it I realize why Zombie himself feels it’s a disconnected film from the next two that just happens to have the same three characters.

Violator fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 17, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Rewatching Inferno again, like, I still can't believe how pointless that flick feels to me despite all of the rad individual bits in it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean seriously, where the gently caress do they get off calling there movie The Mothman Prophecies and then not even loving show mothman? If you have a monster in your drat title you should be legally loving required to have that monster in your movie! Sorry, I'm just still pissed off about this apparently! I had completely forgotten that movie even exists, but now I remember and it makes me angry!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Thanks to whoever talked me into Channel Zero. Season 1 was fantastic and I'm halfway through season 2 now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean seriously, where the gently caress do they get off calling there movie The Mothman Prophecies and then not even loving show mothman? If you have a monster in your drat title you should be legally loving required to have that monster in your movie!

Indrid Cold appears at least three times in the movie. You just missed it.

Also the film is based on a true story - or at least a Fortean story - in which he never appeared to the protagonist but did appear to witnesses.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Thanks to whoever talked me into Channel Zero. Season 1 was fantastic and I'm halfway through season 2 now.

Episode 1 season 2 is a perfect short film as is

Edit:The soundtrack is rad too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4y7CxrThSg

Pomp fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 17, 2019

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Pomp posted:

Episode 1 season 2 is a perfect short film as is

God seriously. This season is heartbreaking and really... Deep, for a SyFy original.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
Season 2 finale broke my drat heart.

Speaking of breaking hearts, The Midnight Swim was some heavy poo poo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Luther the Geek is the most inexplicable thing in the world to me and I will never understand why

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just watched The Endless, very enjoyable. the mood is just really off but never in a way that feels super familiar to another movie. i quite liked Resolution too. should i watch Spring?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

just watched The Endless, very enjoyable. the mood is just really off but never in a way that feels super familiar to another movie. i quite liked Resolution too. should i watch Spring?

Definitely, Spring is their best film imo.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Definitely, Spring is their best film imo.

cool! i didn't realise till after i finished Endless that it was the same guys, but i'm honestly excited for whatever odd little drama-horrors they put out next.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Burkion posted:

Luther the Geek is the most inexplicable thing in the world to me and I will never understand why

In what sense?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Everyone should watch Spring, really.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so im on a nightmare on elm street kick lately and im watching the never sleep again doc, awesome stuff

1 and 3 are legit good movies and everyone should watch at least those two.

the remake its really bad. anyone knows what to read on that movie?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Elm Street 2 is great. It doesn’t make a lot of coherent sense plot wise but it’s a subversive movie. I’d always recommend people watch the first 3 and maybe New Nightmare is they want more.

The Never Sleep Again documentary is great too

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You gotta watch part 4 just for maximum cool mtv Freddy at the height of his popularity

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019

DoctorGonzo posted:

the remake its really bad. anyone knows what to read on that movie?

We Hate Movies did an episode on it. It's not such a fantastically fascinating bad movie that there are works on it though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

In what sense?

So the film is touted as a horror comedy, but it really isn't. It's ridiculous but not in any overtly obvious ways uncommon to b movies. It's more of a Strange Horror, because instead of being funny it wraps around to being...

Not unnerving, but something close. Strange. There's no air of parody to the film, it all feels genuine in its own way. Luther clucking like a rooster, his weird mannerisms all work together well enough. The mean spirited feel of the movie is also strange and the way they had to film Luther only adds to it.

Like say what you will, but the actor they got for the film is really good at what he does, and the fact that he's extremely short means they have to find all kind of creative, weird angles to shoot him from. Watching the film you'd never think he was 5 foot nothing.

But it's still not good. A lot of it just drags and you could say the same about most of the scenes as well. If the whole thing was only 40 minutes long it'd probably be a lot more effective.

I just don't understand what the intent of the film was and I don't think it really matters. Luther does remain one of the few horror villains to go down after getting shot once though.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i didnt like a new nightmare and i will defend freddy´s dead

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'll sum it up for you: Troma.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

I'll sum it up for you: Troma.

It's not a Troma movie. It was only distributed by them.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
New Nightmare has more than a few great ideas and moments but man oh man does it feel like Craven and the producers giving themselves a wet sloppy bj at times.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I didn't expect that there'd be a new remake of Turning of the Screw. I wonder what angle they'll go with: the ghosts are real or the nanny's really repressed and uptight and hallucinating it all .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqCpR19iBpc

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

i didnt like a new nightmare and i will defend freddy´s dead

I’ll co-sign. New Nightmare is pretty boring and the redesign is lame while Freddy’s Dead is very pulpy and has some great goofy gags and gimmicks, it’s a rowdy rear end William Castle homage.

Plus the end credits song is a loving jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua3_ms8r1QE

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I didn't expect that there'd be a new remake of Turning of the Screw. I wonder what angle they'll go with: the ghosts are real or the nanny's really repressed and uptight and hallucinating it all .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqCpR19iBpc

That's weird because Flanagan is also doing that story for the second season of The Haunting of Hill House.

Also I look forward to when that Stranger Things kid decides he doesn't want to be type cast in horror movies.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

New Nightmare spends so much time bitching off about tulpas or whatever, and then the third act is just a regular-rear end Nightmare On Elm Street movie, and that suuuuuuucks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it’s wonderful.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I think it’s wonderful.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i think ur wonderful

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
U too boo

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think 1-3-New Nightmare form a pretty cohesive trilogy.

2's aight though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, I was warned about it all over but the Scary Stories movie was still alarmingly bad.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Despite its failings I will still contend Scary Stories is a fantastic intro to horror movie for kids.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think 1-3-New Nightmare form a pretty cohesive trilogy.

2's aight though

Agreed.

Since I've done Chucky, Jason, and Michael the last year+ I should really rewatch the Nightmare movies. I always thought it was the strongest one since even when they get bad they get weird and Englund is at his most scene chewing levels. I feel like Freddy vs Jason is the only one I really don't like, but its been too long to really be able to be sure about that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Despite its failings I will still contend Scary Stories is a fantastic intro to horror movie for kids.

I probably would have liked it as a kid.

The whole thing is just so weird. I don't know why they went with this narrative that has nothing to do with the books and let it eat up 75% of the screen time, while ignoring half of the stories. Would have made way more sense as an anthology. I don't know why they geared it at teens so much when it's based on a book for children that is mostly beloved by people in their mid 30's. It's in this weird zone where it's probably too graphic for children, but too dumb for the adults who read it as children.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I watched Nightmare on Elm Street 2 last year and I walked away thinking it was a deeply homophobic film. The hero's repressed gay urges result in death and suffering. Freddy's disappearance coincides with the disappearance of his gay urges, and he even gets to hook up with his cheerleader girlfriend at the end of the film to really drive it home.

I mean, did I miss something? It feels like a very conservative "pray the gay away" narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think at this point the writer admits he wrote a lot of repressed homosexual subtext but most of the cast and crew say they had no idea. Then there's some drama where the actor was upset because he was closeted and thinks the filmmakers were kind of pseudo outing him or something. I'm not really sure. It all seems messy but most seem to agree the themes are there. I don't know if most agree its homophobic or "pray the gay away". I'm not sure its really that neat or focused as a message. To me it tends to feel more like a general idea than an actual point. But there's a lot out there on the subject.