Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You pick up the gravity gun, use it to pick up a basketball, you shoot it into a hoop. Then the screen fades to black and says "please remove your VR headset" and the rest of the game is just on a monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is this the only 15+ foot USB-C 3.0+ cable? It claims "no charging support, data only", not sure if that means literally no charging or if it can still trickle enough that the Quest doesn't drain:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0794MB591/

If anyone wants me to test this one or others, let me know as I need to order more USB-C cables for work anyways.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zero VGS posted:

Is this the only 15+ foot USB-C 3.0+ cable? It claims "no charging support, data only", not sure if that means literally no charging or if it can still trickle enough that the Quest doesn't drain:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0794MB591/

If anyone wants me to test this one or others, let me know as I need to order more USB-C cables for work anyways.

It's $60 though, not sure why anyone (other than you for work) would order this over the $80 Link cable that's guaranteed to work. Of course I'm curious if it would work but even if it did I'd wait for the Link cable at that price.

e: I also tried searching for other 15' USB3 A-C (but not C-C cables) and didn't really turn up anything when Link was announced. There will probably be a few aftermarket ones fairly soon since Oculus released the specs though.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
If you want to know how OCD they are being about VR interactions for this game, here is a Valve dev talking about spending gobs of time studying how to make a door work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kzu2Y33yKM&t=1630s

The whole (abbreviated) talk is great regarding learning about how terrible VR players are, just a bunch of soft-headed babby's learning about reality for the first time all over again, but 27:10-28:35 is particularly on point.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mashed_penguin posted:

Both portal games were excellent though. Portal 2 was the last good game valve made :colbert:

nonono, portal VR games. I know there's 2 portal games that were both excellent. What you missed is that there are 3 portal VR games, entirely separate, and they're each 10 minutes long.

They're great but they're 10 minute demos.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

But they aren't Valve games? Portal Stories is not Valve, if you're including the Aperture Hand Labs then that is a tech demo and specifically not a "flagship VR game", and the other one is Robot Repair I guess? Which is also just basically a tech demo in a free package full of tech demos?

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 19, 2019

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Picked up the PSVR for the first time in a while to play Audica after none of the seven hundred C-C cables in my place worked for Oculus Link.

Harmonix, please, Audica on Quest soon.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

nonono, portal VR games. I know there's 2 portal games that were both excellent. What you missed is that there are 3 portal VR games, entirely separate, and they're each 10 minutes long.

They're great but they're 10 minute demos.

I did miss that :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chadzok posted:

But they aren't Valve games? Portal Stories is not Valve, if you're including the Aperture Hand Labs then that is a tech demo and specifically not a "flagship VR game", and the other one is Robot Repair I guess? Which is also just basically a tech demo in a free package full of tech demos?

Calling it flagship is significant, just pointing out that nobody should be expecting Half-life 3 here. Just because this is half-life universe doesn't mean anything, and calling it "Alyx" also seems very significant to show it isn't a mainline game. This definitely, definitely isn't HL3.

There are portal games that are short, ergo there could be a half-life VR game that's just a tech demo. Flagship does imply more, but even being a flagship game for VR would still make it very short on content compared to normal videogames.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

jubjub64 posted:

I have done all that already but there is nowhere that says "update right the gently caress now dammit" and I'm frustrated.

I had to re-enable dev mode, reboot, then it showed up.

IDK how dev mode got disabled, But eh.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Link impressions: noticeably lower resolution

Uh

Everything else feels like PCVR, the tracking volume is smaller than the S but that's about it. It's beta so there are still some issues especially with things like audio (I'm getting the same issue as Nalin but it let me do the setting to mirror the desktop's audio to the Quest and that seems to work) and there's a hitch that seems to happen every so often, but I think those things will get worked out. It's good.

Played a round of Echo Arena and did some messing around in Stormland. Both were great. I put my S back in its box.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Calling it flagship is significant, just pointing out that nobody should be expecting Half-life 3 here. Just because this is half-life universe doesn't mean anything, and calling it "Alyx" also seems very significant to show it isn't a mainline game. This definitely, definitely isn't HL3.

There are portal games that are short, ergo there could be a half-life VR game that's just a tech demo. Flagship does imply more, but even being a flagship game for VR would still make it very short on content compared to normal videogames.

the portal vr games are not made by valve, unless you mean The Lab

I'm excited for Valve's VR game but as a half life fan it's pretty silly they're releasing a new game in that universe when they still have a cliffhanger to resolve. maybe this game will address it somehow.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Game is going to be a cyberscan of gaben saying gently caress you nerd no half life 3 for you ever over and over until you quit.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My prediction is that Quest 1.5 (Quest S? Quest R? Quest XP? Quest Pro?) ships with USB4 (40gbps) rather than USB 3.0 (5gbps) and a 5m fiber optic cable, 25% faster SOC chip ahead of black friday 2020

Should also finally push for broad adoption of reasonably priced fiber optic USB/USB4 cables of signficant length. Cheap fiber optic usb cables ought to allow people to snake a single cable from their laptop on the desk/couch to a hub and end the tyranny of dongles once and for all

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hadlock posted:

My prediction is that Quest 1.5 (Quest S? Quest R? Quest XP? Quest Pro?) ships with USB4 (40gbps) rather than USB 3.0 (5gbps) and a 5m fiber optic cable, 25% faster SOC chip ahead of black friday 2020

Should also finally push for broad adoption of reasonably priced fiber optic USB/USB4 cables of signficant length. Cheap fiber optic usb cables ought to allow people to snake a single cable from theirs laptop on the desk/couch to a hub and end the tyranny of dongles once and for all

The problem isn't USB or bandwidth, it's that there's no direct video input support for the Quest and all video has to be decoded. USB3 is more than enough bandwidth.

Also USB3.2 supports up to 20Gbps. 3.1 supports 10Gbps and motherboards have supported that for a couple years or more now.

Tyranny of dongles... What century are you even in?

e: Quest supports 10Gbps USB 3.1

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

EbolaIvory posted:

IDK how dev mode got disabled, But eh.

I know they disabled it automatically when the update rolled out that allowed sideloading without dev mode; I don't know if later episodes disabled it again or not.

Hadlock posted:

Quest S?

I would personally love a cheaper Quest with the ergonomics, design and screen of the Rift S, but I don't know how likely that is so soon.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Also we don't get 25% year over year CPU/SOC gains and haven't for almost a decade or more, despite what marketing might tell you.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

According to Carmack's talk, better than Rift-S latency is technically achievable on the Quest with some low level software engineering to allow for the output of the video feed per scanline instead of per frame.

The main limiter of visual quality is the decoder on the Quest, it's maxed out at 150mbit/s.

vv I was mainly responding to hadlock, got a bit lazy with my quoting.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Nov 19, 2019

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SCheeseman posted:

According to Carmack's talk, better than Rift-S latency is technically achievable on the Quest with some low level software engineering to allow for the output of the video feed per scanline instead of per frame.

The main limiter of visual quality is the decoder on the Quest, it's maxed out at 150mbit/s.

If they can get that access from the manufacturer.

That still has nothing to do with USB or SOC speeds.

e:. Agree with your second paragraph.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thank gently caress, Valve might actually release a game.

...oh poo poo I jinxed it sorry guys.

The Walrus posted:

the portal vr games are not made by valve, unless you mean The Lab

I'm excited for Valve's VR game but as a half life fan it's pretty silly they're releasing a new game in that universe when they still have a cliffhanger to resolve. maybe this game will address it somehow.
Could be set before HL2, for sure. I wouldn't be surprised, either. Always seemed like they couldn't figure out what came next (despite that ex-Valve writer posting his version of the story resolution ages ago).

I reckon it's seriously big for VR if they do follow through on this however. Could really bring over a bunch of hardcore PC gamers who've so far refused to touch VR (no matter all the (legitimate) bitterness about how poo poo Valve have been for the past ~years, i wouldn't expect that to actually translate into lack of interest in the game, nerds gonna jump on this nerd crack)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

El Grillo posted:

Thank gently caress, Valve might actually release a game.

...oh poo poo I jinxed it sorry guys.

Could be set before HL2, for sure. I wouldn't be surprised, either. Always seemed like they couldn't figure out what came next (despite that ex-Valve writer posting his version of the story resolution ages ago).

I reckon it's seriously big for VR if they do follow through on this however. Could really bring over a bunch of hardcore PC gamers who've so far refused to touch VR (no matter all the (legitimate) bitterness about how poo poo Valve have been for the past ~years, i wouldn't expect that to actually translate into lack of interest in the game, nerds gonna jump on this nerd crack)

You know how the new Corvette is mid-engine now? And how a bunch of boomers are pissed as hell?
Literally the same thing happening with this Valve VR Half-Life game right now and its hilarious how mirrored the situations are.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

You know how the new Corvette is mid-engine now? And how a bunch of boomers are pissed as hell?
Literally the same thing happening with this Valve VR Half-Life game right now and its hilarious how mirrored the situations are.

Eh, its not like you can't drive the new Corvette if you don't have the right equipment. That's just people being picky and :corsair:

I can understand being upset there's a new half-life but its VR exclusive, its like if you heard there's a new Halo game but its Switch exclusive and won't be on Xbox. People would feel a bit put-off.

That said, its not gonna be half-life 3, so they should just accept that it isn't that anyways.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Even though I have a ton of USB C cables only 1 was 3.0. That's gonna be a pain for people out there. I had expected quick charge phone cables were 3.0 but I guess not. Unfortunately that 1 valid cable was super short so I tried it through a 3.0 USB extender which got a green check in the Oculus setup but wouldn't output an image (just went black screen after hitting 'enable oculus link' on the quest). Oh well, I'll try it tomorrow with a new cable from Amazon.

edit: There's no chance this HL: Alyx is HL 3. They would've given it a more exciting title otherwise. This is going to be a loving around in VR thing.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 19, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, its not like you can't drive the new Corvette if you don't have the right equipment. That's just people being picky and :corsair:

I can understand being upset there's a new half-life but its VR exclusive, its like if you heard there's a new Halo game but its Switch exclusive and won't be on Xbox. People would feel a bit put-off.

That said, its not gonna be half-life 3, so they should just accept that it isn't that anyways.
Halo was originally a Mac game, then it was a Mac and PC game. Lots of people were pretty pissed when Halo become an XBOX exclusive.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Went back and played a little more Stormland to the point where it starts to open up. Seems like it could be pretty fun if it didn't run terribly under Revive.

If you too want to feel pain and play this on a Vive or Index, I compiled the latest and greatest Revive library that fixes a lot of the visual bugs.

Place this sketchy dll file I made in Program Files\Revive\Revive\Revive\x64 and overwrite the existing one. Maybe also back the old one up if you run into any issues and don't wanna reinstall Revive.

Use at your own risk.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T0CEzBSqfl3fpi8aGusl4LPIN0wymX8R/view?usp=sharing

edit: also it should go without saying but yes you need the latest stable version of Revive before copying this file in.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 19, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

Should also finally push for broad adoption of reasonably priced fiber optic USB/USB4 cables of signficant length. Cheap fiber optic usb cables ought to allow people to snake a single cable from their laptop on the desk/couch to a hub and end the tyranny of dongles once and for all

Oculus released the specs for the Link cable, it's sporting 5GB/s modules and a USB 3.2 Gen 1 rating. Also you might want to go look up the price on a 40GB optical SFP. The prices aren't exactly consumer-friendly for a USB replacement vs a $10-$20 copper cable.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Wasn't someone in this thread predicting that Half Life VR would have you play as Alyx since she uses 2 pistols and that's basically the best way to do VR controller gun games? This game is titled Half Life: Alyx

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Relatedly, the Boneworks game will release in December and it's been compared a lot to Half Life 2 (it also uses Source engine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kWBeyiXaig

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's Unity, actually.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

Also we don't get 25% year over year CPU/SOC gains and haven't for almost a decade or more, despite what marketing might tell you.

The Quest is using a SOC originally designed in ~2014 and first to market in ~2015 IIRC, using a 2019 market chip might not be 25% better but I think Qualcomm has some VR specific stuff available in some of their SOC snapdragons now so my WAG is that 25% isn't exactly reaching for the stars here

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

ShadowHawk posted:

Wasn't someone in this thread predicting that Half Life VR would have you play as Alyx since she uses 2 pistols and that's basically the best way to do VR controller gun games? This game is titled Half Life: Alyx

There's been clues in the game files and stuff, it's exactly what people have been predicting. Will be good to have solid details.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

SCheeseman posted:

It's Unity, actually.

It's amazing how much a 'look' can define an engine. I can see why someone might assume it was Source going by the art style alone. Even though they are using Unity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I do think we're quite likely looking at something HL2-sized with Half-Life: Alyx. Valve have assets for days to build levels out of, and the kinds of basic physics puzzles that worked in Half Life 2 in 2004 work even better in VR without any changes just because of the interaction method.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
it's interesting to think that VR is what finally motivated Valve programmers to stop counting money long enough for some actual work.

I imagine everyone at the company just spins around in their office chairs all day, or maybe they swim through a vault filled with gold dubloons.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hey, Artifact came out a year ago from next week

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

it's interesting to think that VR is what finally motivated Valve programmers to stop counting money long enough for some actual work.

I imagine everyone at the company just spins around in their office chairs all day, or maybe they swim through a vault filled with gold dubloons.
I'd be astonished if so. They take loving ages over there games, historically (lol the only examples are historical, arf arf).
I'd be incredibly happy with something episode 1 length, assuming it's up to scratch.

KakerMix posted:

It's amazing.

There are like 60 million Steam users who meet the hardware requirements for VR. Which means they've already spent a significant amount on their PC and VR is all of £400 more if you want to get the most recent (decent & reasonably priced) headset. It's still amazing to me that so many nerds are so resistant to the idea of VR. Oculus's fuckups at the beginning did a lot of damage (though that's nowhere near the full story).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Space is genuinely an issue for a ton of people.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Given Valve's approach to VR so far, I'd guess Alyx isn't going to be normal flatscreen flagship quantity and content (> 15 hours), but something around 6-8 hours similar to the other "full" VR singleplayer games we have now. They've been very persistent with VR, but incremental, using each product launch to identify all the technical and ergonomic issues and slowly address them through SteamVR. We know they have two other VR games in the works, so launching this one is their chance to grow the VR playerbase another fold while fixing all the new issues it will doubtless expose without alienating the entire PC gaming community. You don't do that with your biggest, most ambitious game but with a safer choice with a lot of brand attraction.

A 20+ hour HL3:VR launch now would piss off everyone because only ~2% of Steam gamers have VR and most VR equipment is honestly still a generation away from not sucking. If HL3 exists and it were VR, it's the kind of thing you'd launch when a doubt-digit percentage of your market already has VR, so you're only dealing with less than an order of magnitude increase in demand and problems. Also, while I think they have a larger and more ambitious VR game in the works, I doubt it's HL3.

But enough speculation -- we're finally getting a Valve VR game and it very likely may not suck. Considering their loving tech demos are still one of the most fun things to show people, that's reason for excitement.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogstile posted:

Space is genuinely an issue for a ton of people.

Also you can't really do marathon sessions of VR games in the same way you can flatscreen ones. People often just want to relax and unwind, not exert themselves even further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Hadlock posted:

The Quest is using a SOC originally designed in ~2014 and first to market in ~2015 IIRC, using a 2019 market chip might not be 25% better but I think Qualcomm has some VR specific stuff available in some of their SOC snapdragons now so my WAG is that 25% isn't exactly reaching for the stars here
The Snapdragon 835 was announced in Nov 2016, and the first phones with it launched in April 2017 according to a quick googling. CPU Benchmarks have the 855 being around 75% faster than the 835 according to this: https://browser.geekbench.com/android-benchmarks

GPU Benchmarks have the 855 being 50-90% faster: https://dev1.notebook-check.com/index.php?id=149363

RandomBlue posted:

Well, that's not what the benchmarks are showing. What data are you looking at?