Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Welp, ran into a lot of cheating tonight on PC in competitive. This was very rampant in GTA Online, so i'm not really surprised to see it in Red Dead Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

I said come in! posted:

Welp, ran into a lot of cheating tonight on PC in competitive. This was very rampant in GTA Online, so i'm not really surprised to see it in Red Dead Online.

Details?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Players warping around (it was happening after tackling them), being able to shoot from unreasonably long distances without line of sight (never showing up on radar), it's really blatant stuff that I never saw on Xbox. Like some of it could be due to lag, but because it was "glitches" I never saw on Xbox, I sincerely doubt it.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The warping thing sounds awful. The auto aim thing seems consistent across people not playing freeaim, though maybe the distances weren't reasonable, and if you didn't feel that in the console online mode idkwtf

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

ILL Machina posted:

The warping thing sounds awful. The auto aim thing seems consistent across people not playing freeaim, though maybe the distances weren't reasonable, and if you didn't feel that in the console online mode idkwtf

Considering the insanity of hacking I've seen in other modern games (BFV mainly; one shot kill machine guns with unlimited range headshotting you from across the entire map) nothing would surprise me in RD:Online

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Yup. Saw some weird poo poo in Day of Reckoning event, too. Unless the AI got explosive bullets and can throw them out as fast as a Maxim.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Finally got my first Railroad Baron win

And dual LeMats are the poo poo and the shotgun shells brutally saved my rear end

(I'm still not sure how we both missed each other that close)

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 18, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gah, cougars. How do you beat cougars? Unless I spot them from a distance (terribly rare) they just charge me and I only realize when my horse is already panicking and throws me down to be eaten

Unless I can pop Dead Eye right when they start charging, I have zero chance to shoot them before they're on my back, snapping my neck

gently caress cougars, I'd rather wrestle a bear

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Always be packing a shotgun

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Zigmidge posted:

On top of posting pictures of horses and outfits, people should also be posting pictures of some fancy weapons.

I made a set of opposing engraved lemats!

I didn't end up liking any of the engraving options for lemat, but I did spend some money on customizing:

Went for a look based on the colt navy:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sleekly posted:

Always be packing a shotgun

If only the game remembered my weapons choice instead of having to reselect what weapons I want to use every damned single time I get off my horse, I am sure life would be way easier

I would never get off the horse if the game let me, BTW, but sometimes you have no choice

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Poisoned throwing knives/arrows break aggro on cougars/panthers. They'll stop trying to kill you and walk off into the bushes and succumb to the poison. Doesn't matter what part of the body you hit, either.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Go out on your own terms and throw dynamite at your feet.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Poisoned throwing knives/arrows break aggro on cougars/panthers. They'll stop trying to kill you and walk off into the bushes and succumb to the poison. Doesn't matter what part of the body you hit, either.

That is a pro tip, thank you.

Similarly, are stealth kills even possible against NPCs online? If I sneak up to stab one there's no stealth kill prompt and they seem to live through the first normal knife whack. If I use a throwing knife they'll die instantly but everyone still aggros and knows exactly where I am anyways. :confused:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The way to treat stealth in this game is two or three rapid knife kills before pulling your pistol. Though someone I play with regularly is like rockstar ai whisperer and can kill a ton with just a knife.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hakarne posted:

That is a pro tip, thank you.

Similarly, are stealth kills even possible against NPCs online? If I sneak up to stab one there's no stealth kill prompt and they seem to live through the first normal knife whack. If I use a throwing knife they'll die instantly but everyone still aggros and knows exactly where I am anyways. :confused:

If you have a melee weapon out and are crouched behind someone who has not seen you most of the time a single LMB will end up with you burying it in their spine and getting the kill. Most of the time. That contextual melee I was praising a while back does occasionally do very stupid things.

Real trouble is it apparently makes a fair bit of noise in this game, which it doesn't in most.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I've been able to knock out people with the butt of my rifle if I'm crouched behind them and use the melee/tackle button instead of the button used to fire. I'm on xbox though and don't know what that translates to for KB+M. For xbox, I'm pressing B instead of pulling right trigger.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Pressing F instead of M1.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I wish the game had an "Ignore system limits" like GTA V. Is there any way to force settings? Textures on High looks kinda muddy. Otherwise the settings posted a few pages back work fine for me, although I think I could push them a little further if the game didn't bitch about vRAM.

And fullscreen keeps reverting to borderless for some reason.

Game is brilliant otherwise.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Yeah I was trying both F and the normal fire button with the knife. I realize this isn't metal gear but it'd be nice if you could quietly take out 1 or 2 guards. I used a throwing knife on a guard with a good vantage point overseeing a hideout. He was elevated, alone, and out of view from others in the camp. The whole hideout aggro'd and instantly knew where I was even though it was an instant, quiet kill. :(

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Fishstick posted:

I didn't end up liking any of the engraving options for lemat, but I did spend some money on customizing:

Went for a look based on the colt navy:

That's beautiful. I only really liked the default iron or blue steel when I was playing around with it, everything else just seemed off. The Lemats seem almost... duller? And less detailed by default, compared to the other weapons. But that totally works and plays to their design strengths.

I did a blue steel with iron engraving on one of mine and it's beautiful with a nice contrast that gives it more depth and texture (you can sort of see it in the gif I posted). I may do the other one that way too, for now my secondary is just default iron with a blue steel engraving.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Hakarne posted:

(I'm still not sure how we both missed each other that close)

Haha sharpshooter level up

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Lmao now that my game works, Rockstar finally replied to my refund request for a game that I purchased THROUGH THEM that I already provided an order number for multiple times with

"We request you to provide the name of your retailer and get back to us. We are glad to help you out" :downsgun:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I should have started collector way sooner, goddamn. I started on friday at rank 1 off-and-on collecting stuff and hunting in between, I'm already rank 12 with just 4 sets sold and over $1000 richer. Sure beats driving carts and dealing with cripp's camp issues. Invested in the metal detector cause you gotta spend money to make money.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 18, 2019

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

ILL Machina posted:

Haha sharpshooter level up

Even better, it was for shooting my 100th person in the back.

poo poo like that is why I love free aim sessions. Instead of just seeing who mashes their aim key the fastest you get hijinks like this. I always think of the line from Unforgiven about how being a good shot or quick with a pistol is nothing compared to being cool-headed. And it's so true, especially in this game. And when you both lose your cool shenanigans happen (they caught me reloading right after another firefight so I was def rattled).

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hakarne posted:

Even better, it was for shooting my 100th person in the back.

poo poo like that is why I love free aim sessions. Instead of just seeing who mashes their aim key the fastest you get hijinks like this. I always think of the line from Unforgiven about how being a good shot or quick with a pistol is nothing compared to being cool-headed. And it's so true, especially in this game. And when you both lose your cool shenanigans happen (they caught me reloading right after another firefight so I was def rattled).

Old shooter saying, not necessarily Olde West: "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." Once you have the movement down, then you can work on speed. Even in a videogame, which is ridiculously easier. (Can't really pull off a "I'M THE FASTEST AAAAAH gently caress I KNEECAPPED MYSELF ON THE DRAW!" injury in-game, as far as I've seen.)

Got a weird thing popping up. In the map, East Grizzlies, just north of the Legendary Bear, there's a marker for a Cali Bighorn Sheep. If I move my map crosshairs over it, I get a "Wanted: Dead or Alive" warning. Since I don't get one for the red-tinted fort nearby, I suspect it's a minor glitch that should be on the fort. (Might have pissed off the sheep, I dunno.)

Also found the reason I was having variable luck with Deadeye activation: do not use the scope. You can Eagle-Eye with the vitals-vision while scoped, but apparently you can't mark.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

How is online for this? Do we have a Discord?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Online is fun but suffers from too much jank to take seriously. There are a lot of bugs and there isn't a good way to have a permanent clan or posse as it were in this game.

It's good for chilling and playing cowboys with friends. Anything tryhard is moot.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!
Just ran into my first cheater. He was spawning animals, dynamite and fire bottles on top of people, moving at insane speeds and aimbotting. He disappeared mid-spree, so I'm (maybe naively) hoping that was whatever anti-cheat they've got busting him. Though from experience with trainers in GTA4 and 5, it might just have been the trainer causing his game to crash.

On the topic of crashing, anyone else have an issue with fire bottles/lanterns exploding causing their game to crash? It happens very rarely, but I've had three or four crashes that have happened just as a fire bottle or lantern exploded.

Scherloch fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 19, 2019

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I've been having fun in online doing bounties and other missions with friends but anything pvp related is hot trash (outside of stabbin' fights)

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Scherloch posted:

Just ran into my first cheater. He was spawning animals, dynamite and fire bottles on top of people, moving at insane speeds and aimbotting. He disappeared mid-spree, so I'm (maybe naively) hoping that was whatever anti-cheat they've got busting him. Though from experience with trainers in GTA4 and 5, it might just have been the trainer causing his game to crash.

On the topic of crashing, anyone else have an issue with fire bottles/lanterns exploding causing their game to crash? It happens very rarely, but I've had three or four crashes that have happened just as a fire bottle or lantern exploded.

GTA5 and RDR2 use the same codebase. They also have the same signature and checksum based anticheat - and the same weak banning.

So far if you hang around on the uhh 'modding' sites you'll see plenty of people get 30 day bans from RDO and player wipes - but nobody seems to be posting actual permanent bans.

It appears that people are able to run ESP with no bans to date, but all attempts so far to fiddle with anything that allows item duping to get infinite money online has been met with a suspension within 24 hours. There are plenty of 'working' cheats right now that let you get gold and cash, and 30 day break from the game and a free fresh start.

In short - the anticheat in this game exists but is centered around preserving the economy rather than fair gameplay right now. (To be fair to R* this is expected as they just don't have signatures to look for yet, but to once again be fair, they could have this a week after release if they cared enough - like Blizzard did with Overwatch cheaters.)

As said before, with RDO largely being a reskin of GTA5, there is no shortage of premium aimbots with all the typical functionality and you can expect a banwave of the major bots in a few weeks/months as their injection signatures are picked up.

GTA 5 has never had to my knowledge had an aimbot that was in public/commercial use that remained undetected, what you saw was probably a guy using HelioS which remains the most common aimbot framework in - well pretty much everything. Since it's sold as a package to a large number of games subscribers to it tend to use it in every drat game they buy....till the inevitable ban. So for what it's worth, the people who are botting now are going to be banned by xmas in all likelihood, and back to cheating yet again by presidents day....because the only thing Rockstar hates worse than cheaters is lost customers.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 19, 2019

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What button calls my horse over again, on PC?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

abigserve posted:

I've been having fun in online doing bounties and other missions with friends but anything pvp related is hot trash (outside of stabbin' fights)

As someone who generally doesn't like PvP I've found Railroad Baron to be pretty fun and unique. It's king of the hill on a moving train that you have to jump to from your horse. It's a fun take on king of the hill; my only major problem with it is their dumb decision to respawn everyone in a clump behind the train, which leads to a lot of idiotic shooting.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

VulgarandStupid posted:

What button calls my horse over again, on PC?

H

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

For horse

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

And if you hold it instead of tap it the horse will follow you instead of just going to the whistle point.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Anyone else noticed the menus learning your behaviour? Due to the stability issues I've been saving regularly. The game will automatically default to story>save>bottom slot when hitting escape which is what I've been using to create a rolling game save.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Flannelette posted:

And if you hold it instead of tap it the horse will follow you instead of just going to the whistle point.

Is it different in story? In online the single whistle already makes the horse keep following you in most situations, unless you explicitly tell it to stay.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
On PC, is there a way to take out your binos without going through the wheel and switching to items? It's a bit of a faff. Couldn't see anything in the control mapping menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

How is online for this? Do we have a Discord?

Online is fun, and even more fun with others, and yep, we have a Discord to make this happen! https://discord.gg/HBgmBeJ