Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Can't believe they forgot Rodney Ogg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And Rodor

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I thought one of them was Rhododendron?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Records from the age of legends are spotty and incomplete :shrug:

but if we're using both names (or three!):

Rodney Roddlewood, Roderick Riff Raff, Rodanthe Readingrainbow, Rodeo Riddle, Rodealia Rodney-Ogg, Rodr'od Rho'dodendron, Roddi Rango, Rodwig Rowdy, annnnd Rodenda Rodor Rodriquez

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have no idea what the lore of the universe actually is on this one, but I always figured the Oath Rod was one of the nine rods and each of them controlled some domain of justice or ethics.

I feel like one of the Forsaken commented on the Aes Sedai willingly subjecting themselves to the Oath Rod at some point but I could be totally misremembering.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have no idea what the lore of the universe actually is on this one, but I always figured the Oath Rod was one of the nine rods and each of them controlled some domain of justice or ethics.

I feel like one of the Forsaken commented on the Aes Sedai willingly subjecting themselves to the Oath Rod at some point but I could be totally misremembering.

The oath rod was a binding rod used on criminals. There were tons of them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Basileus777 posted:

The oath rod was a binding rod used on criminals. There were tons of them.

See: the numerals. The oath rod was 3, but that other one Sammael found was...111? Something like that.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

You actually forgot the best one, Ruby Rhod?

UnbelievABLE!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ruby Rhod for Amyrlin Seat

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Representing the Super-Green Ajah.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mad Hamish posted:

You actually forgot the best one, Ruby Rhod?

UnbelievABLE!

I believe you mean Roddy Roddy Piper. When he shows up at the Hall of Servants they drat well better have some bubble gum.

And Rod Serling is in the corner narrating the whole thing.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
No respect, just no respect, for Rodney Da'angrealfield.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

COT really isnt a bad book, it just had the misfortune of being after the biggest event of the series and relatively slow paced. I'm enjoying it this time around, and even the Faile plot isn't really grinding much now I can just blitz it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

COT really isnt a bad book, it just had the misfortune of being after the biggest event of the series and relatively slow paced. I'm enjoying it this time around, and even the Faile plot isn't really grinding much now I can just blitz it.

It's indefensible.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's bad, despite having a few decent chapters, and "I can skim it" is definitely not an excuse, especially given audiobooks now...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

silvergoose posted:

It's bad, despite having a few decent chapters, and "I can skim it" is definitely not an excuse, especially given audiobooks now...

At some point someone will need to go through and make an abridged version of WoT that cuts books 7,8,9, and 10 down to one volume.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

At some point someone will need to go through and make an abridged version of WoT that cuts books 7,8,9, and 10 down to one volume.

That's what this thread is for, right!?

(shows getting cancelled after three seasons isn't it :smith:)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

As a whole, the series failed. It is bloated and meandering, has too many side characters and side plots, has weird ticks about tugging etc., and spends pages upon pages on boring poo poo no one cares about. But there are some good bits inside. If it was cut to a trilogy it could be good genre literature that would be known for its quality instead of only its length.

e: fixed a glaring typo

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 23, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

As a whole, the series failed. It is bloated and meandering, has too many side characters and side plots, has weird ticks about tugging etc., and spends pages upon pages on boring poo poo no one cares about. But there are some good bits inside. If it was cut to a trilogy it would be good genre literature that would be known for its quality instead of only its length.

To provide a different subjective opinion, no it didn't.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There's a number of things you can criticise the books for, but they resolve most of the major and minor plot threads through the course of the series. Care to post some examples of things you are referring to? I'm always curious to read other opinions of the books, even if I disagree.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Honestly I don't get why braid-tugging is considered a writing tic. It's a character trait, it's a habit she's in, it makes a fine amount of sense.

"Crossing her arms beneath her breasts" however

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There's a number of things you can criticise the books for, but they resolve most of the major and minor plot threads through the course of the series. Care to post some examples of things you are referring to? I'm always curious to read other opinions of the books, even if I disagree.

I think the one of the most memorable "lol alright then" moments of the series for me was when Sanderson just had Faile knife Masema. And actually now that I think back on that arc, his whole "No! Only the Lord Dragon can use magic, I refuse to use gateways" thing was also incredibly annoying and definitely "meanders", to use Chubby's word.

I'm pretty critical of the series but I wouldn't go so far as to say it failed though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I don't know what "failed" means in this context

Artistically it's a mixed result but a great one, a deeply flawed masterpiece.

Commercially and in popular culture though it was a *huge* success. Jordan was the jacket quote that launched Game of Thrones. Estimates are 90 million books sold worldwide. You didnt see many fantasy novels in airport bookshelves in the 1990's.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Diaphanous. Diaphanous. DIAPHANOUS

The smile did. Not. Touch. His eyes. Then his face was carved from stone. Or wood. Carved from wooden stone.

If you haven’t read Isam’s summaries somehow, google it. The original forum posts are dead and it’s kind of scattered around now

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Pretty interesting article about an obscure fantasy author who was apparently pretty close with RJ and had some influence on the early books. Might be worth checking out his stuff once it hits print again.

https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/john-ford-science-fiction-fantasy-books.html

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Sab669 posted:

I think the one of the most memorable "lol alright then" moments of the series for me was when Sanderson just had Faile knife Masema. And actually now that I think back on that arc, his whole "No! Only the Lord Dragon can use magic, I refuse to use gateways" thing was also incredibly annoying and definitely "meanders", to use Chubby's word.

I'm pretty critical of the series but I wouldn't go so far as to say it failed though.

Faile is a great example of a character whose removal would have improved the series.

I don't know what "failed" means in this context

Artistically it's a mixed result but a great one, a deeply flawed masterpiece.

Commercially and in popular culture though it was a *huge* success. Jordan was the jacket quote that launched Game of Thrones. Estimates are 90 million books sold worldwide. You didnt see many fantasy novels in airport bookshelves in the 1990's.

It failed artistically. If we take commercial success as a proper measurement, then Eragon is 10 times better than the Wizard of Earthsea.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Failed artistically is a phrase that seems very interpretive.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

silvergoose posted:

To provide a different subjective opinion, no it didn't.

Just gonna narcissistically quote myself here.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brolander posted:

Diaphanous. Diaphanous. DIAPHANOUS

The smile did. Not. Touch. His eyes. Then his face was carved from stone. Or wood. Carved from wooden stone.

If you haven’t read Isam’s summaries somehow, google it. The original forum posts are dead and it’s kind of scattered around now

Puckered scar

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

ChubbyChecker posted:

Faile is a great example of a character whose removal would have improved the series.

Faile is cool. Her and Perrin's whole relationship is a summary of the whole series. If the man and the woman just sat and talked honestly for 10 minutes all their issues could have been resolved.

Now if we're talking about characters whose deletion could improve the series I nominate Gawain, he fucks up everything he ever does and then dies like an idiot screwing over Egwene in the process.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Ferrosol posted:

Faile is cool. Her and Perrin's whole relationship is a summary of the whole series. If the man and the woman just sat and talked honestly for 10 minutes all their issues could have been resolved.

Now if we're talking about characters whose deletion could improve the series I nominate Gawain, he fucks up everything he ever does and then dies like an idiot screwing over Egwene in the process.

Yeah his first scene or two were fine, but everything after that was p bad. Basically refused to trust anyone ever that they could possibly know better than him about anything.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Faile and Elayne would have been fine if they didn't get hundreds of pages of PoV in 9/10/11 with little to no development. The difference between faile in WH vs start of KoD is the motivations of those around her. Elayne went from entitled to pregnant entitled. Gawain is bad too so I think Morgase is just a bad mom (or would lini have been charged with Gawain too?)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Idk I thought Gawyn was a p good example of why ~~~nobility and chivalry and honour~~~ are dumb things to base your life around

Christ, he personally causes the fall of three Amyrlins

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 18, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Unmarked spoilers :(

As I wrote years ago in the WoT thread, my reaction to Gawyn's death was something along the lines of "good riddance" and "about time!". He was easily in the top 5 worst WoT characters.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Whoops!

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Doing my umpteenth rereads. Just finished The Shadow Rising. It’s the first time you start to notice pacing issues. All of the plot lines are good with a satisfying conclusion but it takes waaaaay too long to get going.

Honestly Elayne didn’t annoy me at all so far but that’s because she’s compared to Nyneave who she views as a Neanderthal.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ChubbyChecker posted:

It failed artistically.
jesus, well if forums poster chubbychecker is saying it, I guess it's gotta be true.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

It's indefensible.

But I just defended it. NOW WHAT

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

It failed artistically. If we take commercial success as a proper measurement, then Eragon is 10 times better than the Wizard of Earthsea.
How do you actually measure how something "failed artistically"? I mean WoT is way better than Lord of the Rings imo, but apparently some people actually like LotR for reasons I can't fathom, its commercialized products are hugely successful, and it inspired a huge quantity of works that followed after. I wouldn't say it's an artistic failure just because I personally don't like it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Faile in the early books is great; she's a real counter-point to the rest of the crew when she first shows up because she's basically an example of one of the two types of "stock fantasy protagonist" that was popular at the time Jordan was writing and he uses her to gently lampoon the genre. "Mandarb is the horse's name" and all that. She's a great way to underline the bigger world Jordan is building; here's this princess with a mysterious secret on a mission for fame and glory who thinks she's the protagonist of her own novel, and instead she's a minor subplot in a thousand year cycle of tragedy and revenge.