Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Whatever Cybershell is doing, I hope he's happier now. A quick 'hey, I can't be hosed making these videos anymore, thanks and see you all around' would be nice, but that's more to know that he's fine rather than needing closure.

I spent a happy morning playing betas; I'd forgotten how much fun they are to explore, although there doesn't seem to be an easy way of enabling debug in any of them, to have a proper look around? Sonic Chaos at least has the ability to move Sonic anywhere using button 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I garroted Cybershell with a Sega Genesis controller cord and left him in the trunk of a PT Cruiser in a Subway parking lot. Cybershell is now in Cyber's Hell.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

ArfJason posted:

sazpaimon now thats a name i havent read in over a decade holy poo poo

RIP Sonic Cult

He was also goon at some point in time.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Played Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart for a solid 5 hours with friends tonight, it is insane how many quality custom tracks are out just a year after release. Definitely the best kart racer around

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Speaking of which:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxMt6XdrxVU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i can still not get used to seeing srb2 with slopes

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/Nirbion/status/1196455004724436997

So weird I got used to the PC soundtrack way before the Mega Drive one. And now it turns out those were the original versions all along.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Cnz2 is dope but the final md beat is good though I like the feel pc gives to the stage. Less mischievous

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Contrarian but also true: those songs were replaced for a reason

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

ArfJason posted:

Contrarian but also true: those songs were replaced for a reason

I think the only reason they got replaced is because Michael loving Jackson expressed an interest in it.

Perpetual Motion
Aug 12, 2013
How long until someone updates/mods Sonic 3 Complete to have the prototype songs toggleable by zone/act?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Perpetual Motion posted:

How long until someone updates/mods Sonic 3 Complete to have the prototype songs toggleable by zone/act?

I think Sonic 3 Complete already has the PC tracks in it but obviously not these versions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

man nurse posted:

I think the only reason they got replaced is because Michael loving Jackson expressed an interest in it.

Eh they might've always been first draft anyway. They were casting around for external composers in addition to the Jackson thing, apparently.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Negrostrike posted:

https://twitter.com/Nirbion/status/1196455004724436997

So weird I got used to the PC soundtrack way before the Mega Drive one. And now it turns out those were the original versions all along.

:same: they sound so much better with the genesis sound font, but I still prefer the final versions for most of the tracks

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
The only saddening thing is that now all the gaps are being filled, well, we're running out of interesting things to find out. A lot of the early mysteries have been mapped out, like what was genocide city, why is flying battery in sonic 3's menu, what was in the nick arcade beta, whats that sky chase dragon thing. Whats left is minutiae i guess and i love it too, and im glad everyone can play these instead of the eeproms rotting in some collectors basement, and idm exactly the feeling but ill miss it.

Also a bit sad nothing world changing was revealed like there having been extra completely cut zones ala wood zone but hey, its still really rad

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't know, finding out they'd independently come up with the drop dash decades ahead of Mania was pretty wild.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't know, finding out they'd independently come up with the drop dash decades ahead of Mania was pretty wild.

Oh i completely forgot about that. Yeah that IS loving crazy

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How do you use it in the beta? I couldn't get it to work.

In regards to betas, there's always more games and always more builds that could be out there. Personally I'd love to see more of the 8-bit games and Advance series, although none would be as special as the originals, of course.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

There's still the 1990 Tokyo Toy Show demo of Sonic 1 but I believe it might never resurface ever again.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Honestly when they started doing that, and hadn't yet put up the game title and date that far into the stream, I was a tiny tiny bit thinking like "...is this a troll?"

just crazy

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Negrostrike posted:

There's still the 1990 Tokyo Toy Show demo of Sonic 1 but I believe it might never resurface ever again.

such an early sonic beta being dumped? pft, what's next, UFOs in marble garden? these people...!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
naming my kids Yujinaka Amber and Simonwai Michael

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yujinaka is old enough to post now

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How do you use it in the beta? I couldn't get it to work.

Oddly enough you have to hold up, not down, to perform the Drop Dash.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It does seem likely some of these tracks weren't finalized, just going by how some of the tracks that did make it into the final game sound slightly different as well.

That said, outside of Ice Cap 1 lacking any snare drums and Launch Base 2 having an incorrect loop such that there's a splitsecond gap whenever the end of the song is reached before the start of the song replays, I'm not sure what further polish is really needed.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It's clear they didn't have far to go. Some instruments were off but the songs seem 99% complete vs the final Sonic 3&K.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They're not bad in themselves, but these tracks feel fairly samey throughout and don't have a huge amount of variance between the first and second act, plus they don't set the mood very well. The final tracks are drenched in personality and inform the tone of the levels massively, even if Carnival Night could have done with being a bit less nightmarish. I don't feel like they match up to other games with similar levels either - beta Launch Base doesn't set the tone like Egg Rocket does, and Ice Cap doesn't match up like Diamond Dust or Cool Edge do.

They're not bad, but need way more time in the oven and a solid rewrite, for me at least.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's not even just the MJ tunes that are way better, all the 2P tunes are also more interesting and while they don't necessarily match any of the particular zones, I'd have preferred any of those tunes to the beta/PC tracks.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean "samey throughout and doesn't have a lot of variance between both acts" fits beta Ice Cap for sure (that one needs a ton more time in the oven, especially Act 1 for the aforementioned snare-drum-not-having), but I'm gonna have to disagree on the other two zones. I admit I didn't care for Carnival Night's music on PC much, but this YM2612 take sells the song a lot more for me (helps that it has the Chrome Gadget lead in it, I really like that instrument), and I'd already warmed up to Launch Base's music a while ago - it wouldn't fit a "final zone" theme to be sure, but then it was never originally intended to be a final level to begin with, more a midpoint, and it fits pretty well in that sense IMO.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm listening to Ice Cap Zone 1 and only now do I notice that it feels the snare drum was left out of the mix.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah cnz2 has a lot of sections and layered instrumentation. its a good one imo, but i really really like the more beat based style of the final track. Also while i was never a very big fan of launch base final it has one of the sickest bass sections

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I gotta say, I grew up on the Genesis S3&K, and I did not like a lot of the 'replaced' music when I got the PC version. Like, I really, really fuckin' hated Launch Base Zone's music, it was way too cheery for the stage, and Ice Cap's genesis music is iconic, even if it a blatant rip of The Jetzons 'Hard Times', it works.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
So I knew about the Sonic 3 proto for a while, but I had *no* idea what was in it. I was really surprised to find the PC collection tracks in there. I was always under the assumption they were written explicitly for the PC collection, but I guess that's not true. Really cool to have official Megadrive/Genesis versions of them.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'd take the proto CNZ, LBZ, and Competition songs over the final ones any day. Hard Times is really the only case where I like it more than the song it replaced.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I fondly remember the time when everyone thought that Ice Cap was really just a well-hidden Smooth Criminal remix when in reality it's just a very blunt copy of the composer's unreleased single.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dust Hill Zone being Mystic Cave Zone and not a canned desert level (called Sand Shower Zone) has been pretty fun to watch the internet argue about.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Also let's not forget about the MJ recordings of his work on Sonic 3. Truly an artistic genius despite the you know what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzmG0Q9Dg_s

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Negrostrike posted:

Also let's not forget about the MJ recordings of his work on Sonic 3. Truly an artistic genius despite the you know what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzmG0Q9Dg_s

That's not MJ or is that :thejoke:?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kurieg posted:

That's not MJ or is that :thejoke:?

Are you deaf? That's clearly the king of pop himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is the prototype publicly available to download?