Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There is apparently an anime for every sports on Netflix. There's a bike racing anime and a marathon one, that my brother-in-law and my wife watches respectively. There's also one that is partly about sports but apparently it's about girls who ship guys with one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Disney+ is trash and barely works for me. I can't even get it to load on pS4 anymore.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Disney+ is trash and barely works for me. I can't even get it to load on pS4 anymore.

Yeah I got some title not available errors the other day, but nothing this bad. New services never predict the load correctly

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

You are missing out on classic adventures of the Apple dumpling gang

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They didn’t even have kids incorporated anyways.

I’m canceling after mandalorian, but I gotta watch the rest of this show now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I can maybe see Disney+ fading a bit once the GeX through millennial set but I got a five year old and we’re stuck with it for a good decade or so. Luckily it’s a prepaid shared account among family and cost us literally nothing so far.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

I can maybe see Disney+ fading a bit once the GeX through millennial set but I got a five year old and we’re stuck with it for a good decade or so. Luckily it’s a prepaid shared account among family and cost us literally nothing so far.

I see it eating everything and finally stepping over Netflix's corpse to do battle or rule the world with prime, I think it's here to stay.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

They didn’t even have kids incorporated anyways.

Starring Jennifer Love Hewitt and Fergie(licious)!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don’t forget Martika! :swoon: she was such a babe when I was like 5 years old.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Kids Incorporated is an MGM show that just aired on the Disney Channel. I don't see them trying to get streaming rights for it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just noticed the Alice and Wonderland tv show isn't on Disney+.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Taima posted:

Hey I just have a question about this Disney+ stuff.

I was checking out the free trial and was pretty surprised to see that some classics are on 4K that I don't believe ever made it to 4K blu ray (namely stuff like Wall-E, A Bug's Life etc).

So I'm just wondering what's up with these releases? It's just confusing, I collect 4K blu rays and have, to the best of my knowledge, all of the titles that Disney recently released in the lead-up to D+ (Moana, Guardians 1, etc etc etc).

Will these ever make it to 4K disc?

From what I've heard from insiders, Disney has always been opposed to much work on home video besides new releases and a handful of their bigger titles. It took Roy Disney and Leonard Maltin pleading to let them do the Walt Disney Treasures DVDs in the 2000s and they have zero interest in porting them to Blu-ray despite having 4K masters of every single cartoon.

It's really strange because there's a ton of stuff on Disney+ that's not even available on Blu-ray and still ancient early format DVDs. Like The Black Cauldron is still DVD-only, though at least a 16x9 version instead of the original letterboxed disc, all while a 4K HDR master exists.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 19, 2019

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Kids Incorporated is an MGM show that just aired on the Disney Channel. I don't see them trying to get streaming rights for it.

And why would they put that on Disney+ instead of Mickey Mouse Club? Not just the seasons with Britney and Ryan Gosling, but also the old ones that had Roy Disney introducing the kids, or the one with the girl that grew up to be a criminal fugitive.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Imagineers docuseries by Ubbe Iwerk's grand daughter is pretty dang good and cool

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ha, I remember that show. I expect it's a copyright nightmare of some kind, same as the other shows being discussed

E kids Incorporated bringing back some strong sense memories too

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

The live action Irwin Allen thing with a poo poo ton of celebrities and weird musical numbers, or are you talking about something else?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

doctorfrog posted:

I would be shocked. Disney literally owns everything. As long as Disney+ is profitable they will keep trucking. Their library is too good, though they will have to make new quality series.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does Disney+ have that insane live action Winnie the Pooh nightmare show I vaguely remember from the early 90s?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Inspector Hound posted:

I see it eating everything and finally stepping over Netflix's corpse to do battle or rule the world with prime, I think it's here to stay.

It’s here to stay, but it is no Netflix killer. The fact no R rated shows or movies on Disney+ hurts it with its competition with Netflix. It is a more niche service in comparison to Netflix, which now has so much variety it is almost a replacement to cable.

That said I am also canceling Disney+ year end. It is the type of service (like Showtime or Starz) that I only need to subscribe to a few months a year.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 19, 2019

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Does Disney+ have that insane live action Winnie the Pooh nightmare show I vaguely remember from the early 90s?

Well they better. And includes the PSA about molestation.

For those who don't know about it, here's a video about the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BINRuQoYdg

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Well they better. And includes the PSA about molestation.

For those who don't know about it, here's a video about the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BINRuQoYdg

Looking this up, I was actually conflating it with the similarly creepy Dumbo's Circus which took the same approach but was even more surreal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQBMtO7o0Tk

This is the sort of deep-cut poo poo that I'd actually want on a service like Disney+, the weird stuff they probably want us to forget about is what I'm most interested in. That and getting the Hardy Boys serials in HD :mad:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First thing I did was look to see if Adventures in Wonderland was on Disney + and it wasn’t so gently caress this service

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I would be shocked. Disney literally owns everything. As long as Disney+ is profitable they will keep trucking. Their library is too good, though they will have to make new quality series.

The latter part of what you're saying is what I brainfogged out of my original post. In my house at least, once the nostalgia evaporates, it's mostly for the kids to repeatedly watch the same 10 movies, unless there's compelling, fresh content coming out.

e: oh yeah, and I think I personally missed out on about 15 years of the Simpsons, but for some reason I'm not as thrilled about that giant yellow pile of undigested content as I thought I would be.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

To be fair, most people agree the Simpsons have been bad for almost twenty years, so you might not be missing much there.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Two episodes and The Mandolorian has me straight up hooked. I hope it stays this good.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

doctorfrog posted:

The latter part of what you're saying is what I brainfogged out of my original post. In my house at least, once the nostalgia evaporates, it's mostly for the kids to repeatedly watch the same 10 movies, unless there's compelling, fresh content coming out.

e: oh yeah, and I think I personally missed out on about 15 years of the Simpsons, but for some reason I'm not as thrilled about that giant yellow pile of undigested content as I thought I would be.

Disney+ will be the streaming home of any new Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars movie, so long as any of those properties remain popular, Disney+ will not have any problems.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

mikemil828 posted:

Disney+ will be the streaming home of any new Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars movie, so long as any of those properties remain popular, Disney+ will not have any problems.

The question for me is how far they're willing to go to make that content feel exclusive to Disney+. Like, will there be a point in the future where you can't get a Marvel/Star Wars movie on Amazon Video even as a paid rental? Will they give up revenue streams in the short term in order to cement the value of Disney+? Will they be the first company to have a big blockbuster movie without any physical media release at all?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

wizardofloneliness posted:

I finished watching it and while I did enjoy it for the most part it also reaffirmed my belief that they should've stopped with one season. Like, it was good and all but I think the new stuff just ends up diluting it overall. It felt like an extended epilogue that mostly retreads the same ground but in a more somber way. The three main actors were all fantastic though, Alex Lawther in particular. Alyssa's mom was also really great. Pretty much everyone was actually, even the minor characters with one scene.

re; End of the F--- World
It felt like a natural progression of S1 but was overwhelmingly sad and I missed the playfulness from S1. The new character was a broken, sad, person, and we have 2 of those already so did we need another? I don't think so. I hope they really do end it with S2.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Basebf555 posted:

The question for me is how far they're willing to go to make that content feel exclusive to Disney+. Like, will there be a point in the future where you can't get a Marvel/Star Wars movie on Amazon Video even as a paid rental? Will they give up revenue streams in the short term in order to cement the value of Disney+? Will they be the first company to have a big blockbuster movie without any physical media release at all?
The Disney+ interface already has a tab for "extras," and IME, no streaming service yet has done much with commentary tracks, documentary shorts, and other such stuff that made DVDs collectable. They could be an unrestricted home for the Marvel/Star Wars empire, and lease out streaming rights for a handful of new/crappy movies (without extras) to Netflix and the like, and still have the aura of being the "real" home of that block of intellectual property, by having the "complete" experience on Disney+.

I assume a lot of people still base their identities on what they consume, so cultivating that sense could float subscriber numbers.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tainen posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Ad Vitam a 6 part French Sci-fi mini-series recently added to Netflix and am finding it really interesting. The basic premise is that it takes place in a future where science has cured aging and the plot revolves around a cop who is investigating a suicide cult which they thought had disappeared 10 years prior but has since resurfaced. They enlist the help of a girl (the lead actress from Raw) who is a survivor of the cult to infiltrate it. The first 20 minutes of set up is kind of clunky but after that I have found it really interesting.

I just finished it. It was good and I assume very French, but the ending seemed a bit rushed. I didn't quite buy the ultimate reason for the things-that-happened, but I can accept it, it was poetic enough.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Looks like I'll have to use up that Disney+ free trial once The Mandolorian finishes.

Jack Ryan S2 was alright. Roughly on par with S1. The show just feels mediocre/average in all aspects. It's perfectly watchable but it's definitely a "leave it on in the background" type of show. I guess my expectations were just soured since they were advertising S1 so far ahead in advance that I overhyped myself.

The latest Queer Eye season is in Japan and man the last episode was probably the best one yet.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m having a hard time sticking with Season 2 of Jack Ryan because one of the two major plot lines appears to be that the one guy is too loving fat to be CIA

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Fallom posted:

I’m having a hard time sticking with Season 2 of Jack Ryan because one of the two major plot lines appears to be that the one guy is too loving fat to be CIA

In the whole season that’s the plot line that makes the most sense.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'll admit I'm bias because it's a huge nostalgia bomb for me, but I still think Flight of The Navigator holds up as a good rear end movie.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

veni veni veni posted:

I'll admit I'm bias because it's a huge nostalgia bomb for me, but I still think Flight of The Navigator holds up as a good rear end movie.

I'm going to watch it too, but haven't seen it since my childhood, and I'll 1-up you by stating in advance that I will be pleased with how the effects have aged. That ship was awesome.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
As a 15 year old I had the same problem with Flight Of The Navigator as I did with Explorers... I wanted hard sci-fi not some goofy crap

but I ended up enjoying them upon rewatching years later. The first 2/3 of Explorers is really really good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah even with the dated effects the ship is very cool and some of the shots of it are really slick. The interior is great too.

it's just a really fun, well paced film even if it's really cheesy. The setup is really good and so is the payoff. It also manages to cover a lot of ground without feeling underdeveloped for a movie that is only about 70 minutes long minus the credits.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've loved the movie since I was a kid, but just learned recently that Paul Reubens was the voice of the ship. I know he even does the Pee Wee laugh at one point in the movie, but my friends and I just always assumed it was a funny reference and not actually him. He's credited as Paul Mall.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The Mandalorian is very bad. The writing is so bad it's like a youtube fan video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I wouldn’t call it bad, it’s just pulp.

This is a good opportunity to recognize that the original Star Wars was pulpy too.