Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

You presented the argument that cruelty towards animals is part of our intrinsic nature, which isn't surprising considering that you consider all humans a "paternalistic master race." Presumably, mentioning this as part of an argument against the idea that non-humans can be slaves means that you consider this just, since it is an example of our enslavement of being that can at least feel. Or did you bring it up as a non-sequitur?

its not our nature its the nature of power. we are masters over other species because we have power over them. we rationalize this by bringing up our superior intelligence. while i believe intelligence should play a role in agency, i dont believe its the most important part.

you say bb-8 is more worthy of agency than a dog because it knows engineering. i say the dog is more worthy of agency because its a mammal and not a walking computer built to serve. but it really only comes down to the needs and wants of the subject

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The crazy thing is that Astro Boy probably had everything beat

Funny thing reading old Astro Boy aside from it being a bit all over the place (and ranging from having some very outdated racist stereotypes to some incredibly progressive details and storylines given it was the goddamn 50s) is that they deal with a lot of stuff about robot rights and treatment while also that robots aren't human and don't act or think like humans even when they can pass as human- and when given the opportunity, don't necessarily want to once they understand the full implications.

Also, there's a bit where Astro meets a Japanese-American man who flat out says that he experienced racism from white Americans, and after that faded he noticed how badly they treated black Americans, and then when robots came along they basically just transferred the exact same behaviour towards them. Seems especially poignant since that storyline ends with him revealed to having been slowly turned into a robot to survive a terminal disease after Astro leaves, and goes to apply to be treated as a human, but is literally torn apart by a lynch mob on the front steps of the government office)

other solid ozamu tesuka moments in racism include

ode to kirihito including a trip to south africa where the doctor is initially greeted as an honorable white man but then they try to kill him because he turns up evidence that the furry disease also affects people who arent black

blackjacks weird black skin graft on his face dating from that time when he was a child and his only donor was this black kid he knew who he promptly declared to be his only true friend that black kid later went to the united states and became an afroradical

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
R2 and 3PO iirc are based on a peasant duo in The Hidden Fortress and are basically coded as servants, as are nearly all droids basically the underclasses. Droids owned by royalty are shiny and well-maintained while droids owned by slaves themselves are naked and gaunt, and a wealthy oligarch's palace has a torture chamber for misbehaving and poorly performing droids when they aren't just shot.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the fact that droids feel pain should tell you something

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Mercrom posted:

its not our nature its the nature of power. we are masters over other species because we have power over them. we rationalize this by bringing up our superior intelligence. while i believe intelligence should play a role in agency, i dont believe its the most important part.

you say bb-8 is more worthy of agency than a dog because it knows engineering. i say the dog is more worthy of agency because its a mammal and not a walking computer built to serve. but it really only comes down to the needs and wants of the subject

I didn't say BB-8 was more worthy- just that he has a huge range of capabilities which make the comparison to a dog misleading.

We do indeed have more power over hypothetical hard AI, since it will be something we build from the ground up (although it may be that there are hard limits on how much one can hard code controls into intelligent behaviour). This is a matter of degree, though. We may train animals to behave as we wish them to within their capacity to obey our commands. And our subjectivity is itself produced by society- slaves were and are trained to believe they are inferior and their place just, and capital is incredibly adept at training workers to not only accept and obey, but to defend their own exploitation.

And, of course, this is why the Jedi are so afraid of recruiting a child old enough to remember his mother.

quote:

You don’t know the power of the dark side! I must obey my master.

quote:

ANAKIN : Since I was very little, three, I think. My Mom and I were sold to
Gardulla the Hutt, but she lost us, betting on the Podraces, to Watto,
who's a lot better master than Gardulla, I think.
PADME : You're...a slave?

ANAKIN looks at PADME defiantly.

ANAKIN : I am a person! My name is Anakin.

quote:

ANAKIN : Well, Threepio, I'm free...and I'm going away...in a starship...
THREEPIO : Master, Annie, you are my maker, and I wish you well. Although
I'd like it better if I were a little less naked.
ANAKIN : I'm sorry I wasn't able to finish you, Threepio...give you
coverings and all... I'm going to miss working on you. You've been a great
pal. I'll make sure Mom doesn't sell you or anything. Bye.

THREEPIO stares at ANAKIN as he rushes out of the room.

THREEPIO : Sell me?!?

quote:

ANAKIN : What will happen to me now?
OBI-WAN : I am your Master now. You will become a Jedi, I promise.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Nov 19, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nobody really thinks of droids as slaves because they're purpose-built and programmed to be fine with being slaves. That's a distinct problem from real world slavery where human beings lived their entire lives in bondage and never lost the desire for freedom and dignity, because the interesting question becomes "is there something inherent about sentience that demands a right to liberation even if the sentient being doesn't want it?"

Instead L3-37 is like a liberal's caricature of SJWs, who is maybe right in the abstract but there's a right place & time honey.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

blackjacks weird black skin graft on his face dating from that time when he was a child and his only donor was this black kid he knew who he promptly declared to be his only true friend that black kid later went to the united states and became an afroradical

Don't watch the modern animated adaptations of the comic, those soured me so hard on BJ really hard as a character. Why would you make a followup to "BJ's dad asks him to operate on his new wife and turns her into his mom."

Tezuka is one of those creators that... a good part of his stories make sense once you learn he campaigned on the Japanese Diet to make the animation and comic industry more Mike Rowe like.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nobody really thinks of droids as slaves because they're purpose-built and programmed to be fine with being slaves. That's a distinct problem from real world slavery where human beings lived their entire lives in bondage and never lost the desire for freedom and dignity, because the interesting question becomes "is there something inherent about sentience that demands a right to liberation even if the sentient being doesn't want it?"

Instead L3-37 is like a liberal's caricature of SJWs, who is maybe right in the abstract but there's a right place & time honey.

they literally wipe droid brains yearly so that they don't go getting any funny ideas about freedom. artoo is a rebel by nature who does stuff seemingly because he wants to, because he's managed to continuously avoid being wiped, while threepio has not and is still subservient (tho he is reluctant and disagreeable, which seem like weird things to program into your slaves)

to me it recalls the brutal conditions in haiti, where the constant death of slaves required a constant incoming trade of new human beings. only for droids instead of being worked to death they just get their brains reset

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Serf posted:

they literally wipe droid brains yearly so that they don't go getting any funny ideas about freedom. artoo is a rebel by nature who does stuff seemingly because he wants to, because he's managed to continuously avoid being wiped, while threepio has not and is still subservient (tho he is reluctant and disagreeable, which seem like weird things to program into your slaves)

Ok but that's metatextual isn't it?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ok but that's metatextual isn't it?

its addressed roughly in the first 20 minutes of a new hope when owen insists that luke wipe the artoo and threepio. artoo is forced to reveal the message from leia to avoid being wiped and to get his restraining bolt removed (tricking his foolish new master). he then escapes the plantation, and luke briefly tortures threepio (who is literally hiding) to find out where he went. luke then rides off in search of his runaway slave

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

i say swears online posted:

Well this just hosed me up good

One of my favorite scenes is when they see the Yamato in Kure harbor, and Suzu immediately recontextualizes it in terms of her domestic labor. "They cook & clean for 2100 people on that ship every day?" It's like oh yeah, I guess that is a whole town full of people that's about to get blown up isn't it.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked the little slave goblins in Harry potter

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I enjoy a "Star Wars" every now and again

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the slave goblins in harry potter and the robots in star wars both fall into the "funny slave" category where you're supposed to know they're a slave, but it's funny or cute and not that a big deal / serious.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
So about that robot self awareness thing...

quote:

The three robots were told that two of them had been given "dumbing pills" that rendered them unable to speak, and one a placebo (in reality, they had a button pressed on their heads, but the result was the same). They were then asked if they had been given the dumbing pill or the placebo.

In the video below, which was posted earlier this month, you can see the results. There are several long moments of silence before one robot stands up and says "I don't know."

It then raises its hand like a child in a schoolroom, and offers a correction: "Sorry, I know now. I was able to prove that I was not given the dumbing pill."

In order to demonstrate this sort of self awareness, the robot must be able to understand the rules of the puzzle, recognise its own voice and recognise that it is an individual distinct from the other two robots.

https://www.cnet.com/news/cute-robot-politely-shows-self-awareness/

https://youtu.be/MceJYhVD_xY

Like, one, wow. Two, this was nearly five years ago.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

droids are 100% slaves in-fiction in star wars.

in the classic EU, there's literally an entire plot arc about C-3P0 finding purpose in leading a droid rebellion and actually murdering other sentient beings in service of trying to liberate some droids from a particularly cruel owner (Boonda the Hutt). the attempt is successful and the droids are freed, but C-3P0 is later captured and receives a forced memory wipe, which is what returns him to his bumbling man-servant personality by the time ANH starts.

even in a death of the author situation, you have to be willfully obtuse to look at the text of the OT and PT and not see droids = slaves as a blatant fact.

Serf
May 5, 2011

given that george lucas explicitly said that the rebels are analogous to the viet cong and the empire to the united states, i think we know roughly where he lands on the political spectrum

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

in the classic EU, there's literally an entire plot arc about C-3P0 finding purpose in leading a droid rebellion and actually murdering other sentient beings in service of trying to liberate some droids from a particularly cruel owner (Boonda the Hutt). the attempt is successful and the droids are freed, but C-3P0 is later captured and receives a forced memory wipe, which is what returns him to his bumbling man-servant personality by the time ANH starts.

lmao

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I think the slave goblins in harry potter and the robots in star wars both fall into the "funny slave" category where you're supposed to know they're a slave, but it's funny or cute and not that a big deal / serious.

It's this. The droids' rights robot was literally just a repeat of Hermione's elf liberation thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

MizPiz posted:

It's this. The droids' rights robot was literally just a repeat of Hermione's elf liberation thing.

a garbage element of a poo poo film churned out by a soulless megacorporation

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The classic EU is a never ending source of amazingly dumb poo poo in between endless pap that's basically literally just redoing random bits from the OT over and over and over and over again with original character do not steal

Serf
May 5, 2011

the only good thing the old eu ever produced was kotor 2, and by extention kotor 1 i guess. chris avellone has the one trait that makes for a good star wars writer: a hatred of star wars

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

MizPiz posted:

if you pick this poo poo apart you just end up confronting the colonial origins of all adventure stories

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The difference being that original Star Wars isn't all that moralistic, with Han doing premeditated murder, Obi-Wan lying his rear end of, etc. Harry Potter meanwhile thinks it's giving *life lessons* which are really about being a theater kid and hating Tories but never questioning power differentials between, say, wizards and regular people.

I remember the first pages of Harry Potter I ever read was Harry abusing his powers loving with his aunt or whatever, and it felt like such a lovely misunderstanding of what made Roald Dahl work that it completely lost me.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Serf posted:

the only good thing the old eu ever produced was kotor 2, and by extention kotor 1 i guess. chris avellone has the one trait that makes for a good star wars writer: a hatred of star wars

specifically, a hatred for jedi and for the force (the worst elements of the franchise)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

specifically, a hatred for jedi and for the force (the worst elements of the franchise)

let me correct myself here, i think lucas and avellone detest the fans of star wars, or at least treat them with derision. which honestly, star wars fans deserve. the fixation on space magic and laser swords, well into adulthood, is pretty dire. there are deeper themes, as we've discussed, but if you ask people to look at them they recoil in disgust

this, but its "wow, cool lightsaber!"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Serf posted:

it's hilarious that bioware just kept the literal dark side/light side moral choice system in every game they made for the next decade, and that the inclusion of the system counted as "good writing"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Plank Walker posted:

it's hilarious that bioware just kept the literal dark side/light side moral choice system in every game they made for the next decade, and that the inclusion of the system counted as "good writing"

imo that has more to do with D&D having a binary morality system, even when the alignment chart had both neutrality and legalism. From a gameplay perspective all of your choices were either good or evil anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Serf posted:

We also have the hilariously stupid Glove of Darth Vader books.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The Dark Horse comics were pretty good.

Serf
May 5, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

We also have the hilariously stupid Glove of Darth Vader books.

yeah i think some of the stuff deserves a "so bad its good" classification

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Serf posted:

yeah i think some of the stuff deserves a "so bad its good" classification

"what if storm troopers had to survive a zombie apocalypse on some backwater planet" is also solidly on this ground

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm the blaster earrings

Serf
May 5, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

"what if storm troopers had to survive a zombie apocalypse on some backwater planet" is also solidly on this ground

those books slap, actually. unlike most eu novels they speed through the plot at a breakneck pace and don't focus on any of the main movie characters. red harvest is great because all these sith just get totally owned by the zombies because they can't stop scheming for 2 seconds and the main jedi is just a farmer in way over her head

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

droids are 100% slaves in-fiction in star wars.

even in a death of the author situation, you have to be willfully obtuse to look at the text of the OT and PT and not see droids = slaves as a blatant fact.

The death of the author does not allow one to ignore or totally contradict the text. It deals with the imagined or even stated "intent" of the author, especially where it contradicts or ignores the text itself.

A good example is Rowling declaring that Dumbledore is gay. Her doing so does not change the fact that there is no reason to believe this based on the actual books.

In contrast, the Wachowskis may not have realized they were struggling with gender issues when they directed the Matrix, but understanding that they are trans allows one to understand the entire film differently in ways which emerge from the text of the film itself. For example, Trinity is obviously to some degree Neo's feminine self. Thats not really unusual in symbolism terms, though- everyone has both masculine and feminine aspects to their identity, those being social constructs, and engaging with this is part of any number of mystical approaches to self-development. But the scene where Neo meets Trinity for example, reads totally differently from a perspective which acknowledges the possibility of a transgendered selfhood. Neo meets his feminine self and immediately confesses that he thought she was a guy, and she replies "most guys do." Knowing that the directors would come to understand themselves as transgendered, that comes very close to an outright statement of something they may not have even realized about themselves at the time. Also it really helps temper the libertarian aspects of the film, which really helps with rewatching it at this point.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Nov 19, 2019

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

MizPiz posted:

I'm the blaster earrings

i bid you dark greetings

..."mofferance" lololol

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Robots and slave goblins are just replacements for the minority servants and lacky-helpers from old adventure stories so you can still have people ordering around slaves but it's cool and egalitarian, IMO

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So it's kind of your classic liberal have your cake and eat it too think

Serf
May 5, 2011

i would argue that in the case of star wars, the text wants you to stop at some point and go "wait, this is hosed up"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But like, only a little bit