Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Ill bite. Why did you need 4000 individual instances of firefox?

I've heard this story and it's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Defenestrategy posted:

Ill bite. Why did you need 4000 individual instances of firefox?

It's so we could dump their frame buffers with vnc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

It's so we could dump their frame buffers with vnc.

That sounds stupid.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

That guy gets pulled aside and, in a quiet little 1:1 gets told, “if you ever pull bullshit like that again, we will have a problem. Stunts like this make my life harder instead of easier and I do not appreciate that one bit.”

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 19, 2019

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Quote is not edit

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

Quote is not edit

Agrikk you posting twice in a row just makes my life harder instead of easier and I do not appreciate that one bit. If you ever pull bullshit like that again we're gonna have a problem.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

When you post from the :yaybutt:, you have to post twice: once for each cloud cheek

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

In the cloud, everyone’s post history is eventually consistent(ly bad)

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Agrikk posted:

That guy gets pulled aside and, in a quiet little 1:1 gets told, “if you ever pull bullshit like that again, we will have a problem. Stunts like this make my life harder instead of easier and I do not appreciate that one bit.”

The moment has obviously passed but it will only be a matter of time until the next incident along these lines

I mentally have a lecture along the lines of "if you spent as much time on your work as you do concerning yourself with how to not leave any evidence from any minor mistakes your output would be 100 times better than what it currently is"

Kinda just waiting for the right incident before I dish that one out though.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Ever since I started where I'm at it has been nothing but talk of budget cuts, and finally we find out there's gonna be a bunch of layoffs, and since I'm the newest hire, it's probably gonna be at least me. It sucks because I loved working here and loved doing what I was doing, but that doesn't mean things were grossly mismanaged here. I wager there's gonna be a huge reorg too. At least I have ~7 months to figure things out.

It's kinda hard because almost everywhere I've worked has closed up, leaving me with only having worked at places for a few years at a time, which gets brought up a lot during interviews.

I don't know if I should continue with IT infrastructure, go into infosec, learn programming, or what else to do. I'm probably gonna have to relocate (or find a WFH position) if I want to find somewhere that's not gonna close up shop in a year.

I guess this was just a general vent and general question ask im sorry everyone lol.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You might be the least expensive employee and not get laid off

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A few years at a time with each employer in this industry should not count against you in any way

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

A few years at a time with each employer in this industry should not count against you in any way

I once had a hiring manager in an interview bring up the fact that my average length of time in a company was less than two years per and to have me explain why. I had a giggle at his linked in after as his was probably less than mine.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How about that global O365 outage?

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

I got grilled so hard at my last job for "only" working somewhere for 3 years, when that place closed down. I'm super anxious about it now, even though I know better.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Be the whore you were born to be. You don’t owe loyalty to any company.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

jaegerx posted:

Be the whore you were born to be.

This will be the title of your memoirs.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Agrikk you posting twice in a row just makes my life harder instead of easier and I do not appreciate that one bit. If you ever pull bullshit like that again we're gonna have a problem.

:boom:

TheParadigm posted:

When you post from the :yaybutt:, you have to post twice: once for each cloud cheek

I post twice: one from each region for HA/DR.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

This will be the title of your memoirs.

Lmao

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

It’s not a lie. I job hop like clamdown on fleet week

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Sickening posted:

I once had a hiring manager in an interview bring up the fact that my average length of time in a company was less than two years per and to have me explain why. I had a giggle at his linked in after as his was probably less than mine.

Last time I talked to a recruiter they brought up the fact that my last two jobs have been about a year, both of which were explainable, and said that it showed I didnt like to stay at one company for an extended amount of time, conveniently ignoring my first job where I was with one company for 13 years.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’m the guy that gets vested at a place and bolts now

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Korean Boomhauer posted:

I got grilled so hard at my last job for "only" working somewhere for 3 years, when that place closed down. I'm super anxious about it now, even though I know better.

I haven't held a jos for more than 2 years since starting to work in IT, but those have all either been specified time contracts or upward moves and I haven't received any heat for that, though the situation here in Finland is such that IT people are badly needed.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Internet Explorer posted:

How about that global O365 outage?

They literally shut the front door :v:

Microsoft Outage impacting Azure, O365, Teams
Issue has been mitigated.

Summary of Impact: Between 00:57 and 03:40 UTC on 20 Nov 2019, customers and services utilizing Azure Front Door (AFD) services were impacted by an infrastructure service failure. This resulted in a loss of connectivity to multiple services reliant on AFD.

Azure Front Door services provide Edge caching and network entry point services to the Microsoft global network. This issue impacted a large percentage of Microsoft Services, though not all services were impacted. Many impacted services were able to initiate fail over from the AFD platform, providing immediate mitigation to their customers.

Preliminary Root Cause: During a recent periodic deployment, initial safety checks did not detect the issue and prevent the roll out. Monitoring detected once service failure was experienced and alerted engineers.
Mitigation: Engineers immediately initiated deployment rollback procedures to correct the underlying Azure Front Door issue. This was completed at 02:40 UTC on 20 Nov 2019, at which point Impacted services began recovering.
A detailed root cause analysis will be published in the Azure status history page within 72 hours.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

jaegerx posted:

I’m the guy that gets vested at a place and bolts now

Every time I start a new job I think "this is the one I'll stay at for a while." Then those recruiters start knocking at the 1.5 / 2 year mark, and I'm passively interested, and then they start throwing out 140% salary numbers and it's hard to say no.

I like what I do now but the organization is frustrating as hell. I'm at that 1.5 year mark and recruiters are starting to send their feelers...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

devmd01 posted:

They literally shut the front door :v:

Well, I guess the door part of Azure Front Door was confirmed working!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My company has a billion USD in the bank but I drop one un-stamped personal letter in the mail and Reception reams me out and makes me pay $.90.

I passed the FREE cold brew coffee and kombucha stations and just shook my head.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bonzo posted:

My company has a billion USD in the bank but I drop one un-stamped personal letter in the mail and Reception reams me out and makes me pay $.90.

I passed the FREE cold brew coffee and kombucha stations and just shook my head.

You shake your head, but nickel and diming poo poo like that is why they have a billion USD in the bank.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Bonzo posted:

That poor secretary is paid worse than you. She cannot afford $0.90. Oh, you thought the company would pay for it? Hah, no.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Ataxerxes posted:

I haven't held a jos for more than 2 years since starting to work in IT, but those have all either been specified time contracts or upward moves and I haven't received any heat for that, though the situation here in Finland is such that IT people are badly needed.

It's the same for the US. What I wonder about are the people who stay in an IT job for more than 2 years and haven't slowly promoted up over the years to IT director or something. In my experience those people who stay at a job for years in the same position are happy to stay in a safe rut forever. Nothing wrong with that companies need people like that too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

It's the same for the US. What I wonder about are the people who stay in an IT job for more than 2 years and haven't slowly promoted up over the years to IT director or something. In my experience those people who stay at a job for years in the same position are happy to stay in a safe rut forever. Nothing wrong with that companies need people like that too.

Sorry, what, you would question people who stay at a place more than 2 years and aren't a loving director yet??

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Does that count for weirdos like me who are making 10k more at $currentcompany for equivalent entry level positions? I'm not gonna get a title promotion, dead man shoes aside, but I am compensated far more and the job is more fulfilling than my less than one year of experience peers who are doing their time in the help desk mines, and as long as they keep giving me more money Ill be glad to hang here til the gravey train stops or some one whisks me away to do red/blue team stuff for figgies

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
No not just two years that's insane. But if person has been with a company 10 years or something and is still in the position they started.

Let's say for someone who for example has spent 5 years in help desk. They could have left it, or moved on to another role, or become a manager but they stay in that same position they started with the rest of their career. When I ask it seems to be they like what they are doing and don't want to go further. That's all.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DropsySufferer posted:

Finding new jobs loving sucks and up until maybe 3 decades ago the idea of working at one place forever was not only normal, it was expected. "The only way up is out!" loving sucks and I wish we didn't treat it like a good thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

No not just two years that's insane. But if person has been with a company 10 years or something and is still in the position they started.

Let's say for someone who for example has spent 5 years in help desk. They could have left it, or moved on to another role, or become a manager but they stay in that same position they started with the rest of their career. When I ask it seems to be they like what they are doing and don't want to go further. That's all.

You're speaking about that as a negative. It's not. There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone enjoying what they do, and not being interested in "moving up or moving out".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're speaking about that as a negative. It's not. There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone enjoying what they do, and not being interested in "moving up or moving out".

:agreed:

Blame the company who is going to exploit that person for choosing to stay in one spot.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

CLAM DOWN posted:

True, it's not up to me to even think about what another adult who isn't family is doing with their life. None of my business and if they are happy good for them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've been promoted once internally since I got this job 3 years ago, and I'd gladly stay in my current role for another 25 until I retire. I love this job, the environment, my level or responsibility and work/life balance.

Dont poo poo on people just because they found a fulfilling job they like and want to keep.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Also, if you're employed publicly, you might be in the same role your entire career, that's not uncommon. I took a slight pay cut to get in a job that's a million times less stressful and I'm probably going to have this job for the next 5 years, at least until I get my degree and try to move internally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Inspector_666 posted:

Finding new jobs loving sucks