Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Read Charlie and the Great Glads Elevator if you want a deep dive into the horrors of Dahl's mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Or search blueberry literally anything about Wonka on DeviantArt for the true horror.

Anyway, the Burton movie shows the kids after the tour. They're massively fatter, or still blue, or stretched into a SlenderMan, but alive.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The Great Glands Elevator, you say?

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

They took her to a farm where she could run and play and have the juice squeezed out of her all day.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Sunshine posted:

The Great Glands Elevator, you say?
Listen, some people's balls don't drop on their own. Don't shame.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Read Charlie and the Great Glads Elevator if you want a deep dive into the horrors of Dahl's mind.

The aliens who spell SCRAM in an elevator

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The aliens who spell SCRAM in an elevator
The Vermicious Knids! They even got referenced in the old Gene Wilder movie.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

None of the kids in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory died. They just all got horribly disfigured, except Veruca who just got a bit dirty.

Now Great Glass Elevator, tons of people died in that one.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

None of the kids in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory died. They just all got horribly disfigured, except Veruca who just got a bit dirty.

Now Great Glass Elevator, tons of people died in that one.

Is that the one where almost an entire space station is eaten by aliens? Its been ages since I read a Dahl book but man, some of the went places.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don Gato posted:

Is that the one where almost an entire space station is eaten by aliens? Its been ages since I read a Dahl book but man, some of the went places.

Yup. The Vermicious Knids are truly horrifying

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Didn't that the book where a couple of Charlie's Aunts found themselves in a place where time moved backwards quickly, and they had to save them before they became unborn?

For some reason I forgot about the Knids, but that's the only part of that book that stood out in my memory.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

umalt posted:

Didn't that the book where a couple of Charlie's Aunts found themselves in a place where time moved backwards quickly, and they had to save them before they became unborn?

Something along those lines. Wikipedia summarizes it thusly:

quote:

Back in the chocolate factory, three of Charlie's grandparents refuse to leave their bed. Mr. Wonka gives them a rejuvenation formula called "Wonka-Vite". They take much more than they need, subtracting 80 years. Two become babies, but 78-year-old Grandma Georgina vanishes, having become "−2". Charlie and Mr. Wonka journey to "Minusland", where they track down Grandma Georgina's spirit. As she has no physical presence, Mr. Wonka sprays her with the opposite of "Wonka-Vite" - "Vita-Wonk" - in order to age her again. Mr. Wonka admits that it is not an accurate way to age a person, but the spray is the only way to dose "minuses". Upon leaving Minusland, they discover that Grandma Georgina is now 358 years old. Using cautious doses of Wonka-Vite and Vita-Wonk, the three grandparents are restored to their original ages.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Elfface posted:

Anyway, the Burton movie shows the kids after the tour. They're massively fatter, or still blue, or stretched into a SlenderMan, but alive.

That's basically how the book ends.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kids these days can't even make Loss comics.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Yoshi Wins posted:

I really think Wonka went overboard for killing a girl for chewing gum.

Misophonia is real, and strong, and not my friend.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Misophonia is real, and strong, and not my friend.
:hai:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Something along those lines. Wikipedia summarizes it thusly:

:stare:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Wikipedia summary leaves out the most disturbing detail. Read the book and discover it for yourself!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If your only exposure to the works of Roald Dahl is the Willy Wonka movies, reading some of the books is an eye-opening experience.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Just wait to when you get to his stuff about Jewish people.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
lol, Great Glans Elevator

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's got a Shaft, too.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

lol, Great Glans Elevator

Don't Doxx me

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Wikipedia summary leaves out the most disturbing detail. Read the book and discover it for yourself!

Mind posting it? Because I’m probably not gonna bother reading it!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

Mind posting it? Because I’m probably not gonna bother reading it!
I do mind. Read a drat book.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

We invented video games precisely so we wouldn’t have to waste time reading books anymore

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

oldpainless posted:

We invented video games precisely so we wouldn’t have to waste time reading books anymore

But someone would have to read the book to make a game of it. What now, athetist?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Make the game out of the movie adaptation

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Then turn the game into a movie ala resident evil

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The ending of Dahl's Witches - the one where the witches succeed in turning the protagonist child into a mouse - did not have the boy return to a mouse. He transforms all the witches into rats and they all get murdered by ignorant hotel staff members in a witch genocide, and he goes back to his grandma. He finds out from her how many years she has to live and how many years he (as a mouse) has to live, which comes to the same number, and they both live happily ever after knowing that they will die together at the same time in approx 5 years.

Roald Dahl also wrote one of the best crime short stories Lamb to the Slaughter, which is short enough you don't have to refer to a wiki.

He wrote Switch Bitch, a story introducing the Uncle Oswald character. In that story Oswald gets hold of a perfume that causes people to get into frenzied orgies, so he does the natural thing which is to try to get the President of United States to rape a celebrity on live tv (things do not go on as planned). This story proved to be successful enough he went on to use the same character to write the novel My Uncle Oswald, where Oswald and a female accomplice uses the spanish fly to get her to rape famous intellectuals, royalties and celebrities to get hold of their sperm to sell off to the highest bidders.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The Roald Dahl story about the dude who gets to "live" forever as a brain in a jar certainly made an impression on 11-year-old me. aaaaaaaaa

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Roald Dahl also wrote the James Bond movie "You Only Live Twice", which strikes me as especially odd because Ian Fleming wrote the almost Dahl-esque "Chitty-Chitty Bang Bang".

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ultrafilter posted:

If your only exposure to the works of Roald Dahl is the Willy Wonka movies, reading some of the books is an eye-opening experience.

Lamb to the Slaughter is a good story

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ranking of Willy Wonka media:

1) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
2) Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
-gap-
3) First movie
-another, larger gap-
4) Slurm factory episode of Futurama
-huge loving gap-
5) That Johnny Depp piece of poo poo movie

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Surely everyone has seen Gremlins? Granted it was just based on his work. Then there's Skin of course and The Landlady.

Despite being an massive antisemite I do think Roald Dahl's books are good and really stand up to teach children about the horrors that can be visited on them by adults who seemingly have authority over them. But yeah don't buy a cheerily illustrated Roald Dahl book for a kid unless you're happy with some occasional murder.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Nov 20, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

His autobiography made a huge impression on me as a child and it wasn't until I was much older and had history degrees that I really realized he was the prototypical imperial subject, working for shell and flying planes around Africa and just generally being a cog in the extractive colonial apparatus, which he characterizes as a big fun adventure and is how I read it as a kid to

If I ever have kids I'll have them read Dahl but he's certainly representative of a lot of the cultural baggage from the mid-20th century people like to not acknowledge if they can avoid it

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Roald Dahl taught me that land owners are bastards and pheasant poaching is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I saw the Wonka musical recently, and while on the whole it’s pretty average, it does have Veruca Salt being torn to pieces by the squirrels, which was extremely :wtc:. Anyway, comics!