Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I’m at chapter 11. Roughly how many hours do I have left if I just do story stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
4ish.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Man why do the dang roads require so many resources? I guess you have to earn that convenience but it’s quite a lot. The game seems to allow contributions from other players up to certain amount but it gets stuck there and makes me contribute the rest without online contributions ever increasing. The last time I had other players actually complete a section of road was shortly after I first arrived at the start of chapter 3. I’ve personally completed basically everything from just north of the Edgar Wright distro center to Conan’s house. The last few leading to South Knot are going to be a total pain to complete, and I still have the whole western side of the map to do. I know clearing out MULE camps is a good way to get resources but it’s not really enough, I have to wait for that stuff to respawn after I steal it and I don’t want to totally deplete the distro centers. I’m determined to finish the road network though, it’s bringing out my completionist tendencies.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Man why do the dang roads require so many resources? I guess you have to earn that convenience but it’s quite a lot. The game seems to allow contributions from other players up to certain amount but it gets stuck there and makes me contribute the rest without online contributions ever increasing. The last time I had other players actually complete a section of road was shortly after I first arrived at the start of chapter 3. I’ve personally completed basically everything from just north of the Edgar Wright distro center to Conan’s house. The last few leading to South Knot are going to be a total pain to complete, and I still have the whole western side of the map to do. I know clearing out MULE camps is a good way to get resources but it’s not really enough, I have to wait for that stuff to respawn after I steal it and I don’t want to totally deplete the distro centers. I’m determined to finish the road network though, it’s bringing out my completionist tendencies.

Don’t do the mountain roads. I’m glad I didn’t do anything past the incinerator.

I saw one that said 9000 ceramics or some poo poo and I was like nope.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Romes128 posted:

9000 ceramics

drat that’s a naw from me then I guess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

People say this is a post-scarcity world, but how are the metals/ceramics/resins being collected

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

People say this is a post-scarcity world, but how are the metals/ceramics/resins being collected
They Appear

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nanomachines, son.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think I'm right on the cusp of starting chapter 4 and I wanna chit chat about this game but want to avoid story spoilers. Gameplay/item spoilers I can live with. Should I bookmark this thread or wait until I'm done?

Edit: One thing I do want spoiled, does anyone give you a proper camera in this game to activate a real photo mode, and can I get it at this point? That was my favorite part of HZD.

Edit2: If I don't end up not staying I just want to say that as someone who loved all the MGS games, up to and including MGS4, and as someone who enjoys just walking/driving around slowly in GTA4/V and taking in the sights....this is slowly becoming my favorite game of all time.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 19, 2019

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think I'm right on the cusp of starting chapter 4 and I wanna chit chat about this game but want to avoid story spoilers. Gameplay/item spoilers I can live with. Should I bookmark this thread or wait until I'm done?

Edit: One thing I do want spoiled, does anyone give you a proper camera in this game to activate a real photo mode, and can I get it at this point? That was my favorite part of HZD.

Edit2: If I don't end up not staying I just want to say that as someone who loved all the MGS games, up to and including MGS4, and as someone who enjoys just walking/driving around slowly in GTA4/V and taking in the sights....this is slowly becoming my favorite game of all time.

This thread is pretty good about story spoilers. Just avoid the black bars.

I went in almost completely blind, just saw some of the trailers and a couple minutes of the Kojima gameplay footage. I wasn't spoiled by anything in this thread.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Well that's unexpected, you can replay the battlefield segments from your figurine collection

Edit: of course that's the dude locked away in that ballsack shaped blank area, of course

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 19, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Romes128 posted:

This thread is pretty good about story spoilers. Just avoid the black bars.

I went in almost completely blind, just saw some of the trailers and a couple minutes of the Kojima gameplay footage. I wasn't spoiled by anything in this thread.

The trailers were extremely good at Kojima-style "showing without telling you a single bit of what the gently caress".

Honestly my favorite thing (pretty major ending spoiler) was that the iconic five sinister shadowy figure what the absolute gently caress is going on imagery that he focused heavily on is literally you getting your rear end saved through the power of friendship. It's just wonderful.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I actually avoided watching any footage after the short Higgs trailer and about 2-3 hours in I realized all those early trailers were stuff from the intro portion and I was loving psyched

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm just ahead of you and this thread's been pretty good about spoilers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How important are standard orders? So far they don't seem to offer any story incentive or significant reward, and they just add a shitload more trips to my schedule.

Will I be missing anything interesting if I just leave them?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Re: Trailers (big spoilers)

It's wild how the final one has so much late game footage. Like it shows the final scene at the incinerator.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
how come I have a zillion miscellaneous porter star rating things and like zero for everything else other than like strand/like/social rating?

It seems like missions all pile up on awarding you just one point of the star and it's always misc, and occasionally they'll drop 2-3 points into another one and zero on misc. Like one of them says speed and there's been missions that I feel like I cheated on by doing a boosted wheelie across nasty territory with zero stops and it still gives me like a beep on delivery speed and 5 points on misc. It seems like you get cool poo poo for them and I'm always trying to run around with a giant backpack and be fast but I never get points for that.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

stev posted:

How important are standard orders? So far they don't seem to offer any story incentive or significant reward, and they just add a shitload more trips to my schedule.

Will I be missing anything interesting if I just leave them?

Most delivery points have unique rewards for getting 3/4/5 stars with them, some incredibly useful new upgrades or just upgraded versions of gear.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Intel&Sebastian posted:

how come I have a zillion miscellaneous porter star rating things and like zero for everything else other than like strand/like/social rating?

It seems like missions all pile up on awarding you just one point of the star and it's always misc, and occasionally they'll drop 2-3 points into another one and zero on misc. Like one of them says speed and there's been missions that I feel like I cheated on by doing a boosted wheelie across nasty territory with zero stops and it still gives me like a beep on delivery speed and 5 points on misc. It seems like you get cool poo poo for them and I'm always trying to run around with a giant backpack and be fast but I never get points for that.

Delivery speed only gets points when the delivery has a time limit. The other categories are similar but speed’s a huge pain. I’m rank 50/60 in everything else 65 hours in and 25 in speed.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

tweet my meat posted:

Most delivery points have unique rewards for getting 3/4/5 stars with them, some incredibly useful new upgrades or just upgraded versions of gear.

Yeah but standard orders seem to barely move the needle in getting those star ratings up a lot of the time

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I didn't notice for a long time, but there's an icon next to orders on the list that shows where the points are primarily gonna go. You'll get points in other categories sometimes, like you get misc points when there's a modifier like "recovered cargo from mule area" or something, but delivery speed pretty much only comes from time sensitive orders with the clock symbol next to them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm at a Low Roar gig tonight. They're playing a small pub and tickets were £8. Going to be yelling at them to play the DS music.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah but standard orders seem to barely move the needle in getting those star ratings up a lot of the time

Gotta check out how many likes an order might be offering before picking it up. Some of them only offer like 50, although you'll almost certainly get more than that from accumulated bonuses.

Typically if I'm trying to 5 star something I'll grab as many orders for that location as I possibly can by stopping at any locations along the route. I did this yesterday for the Junk Dealer and Chiral Artist. I started at Lake Knot and stopped at Engineer, Craftsman, the Distribution Center, then turned South and dropped off as many orders as possible all at once. I think I turned in like 4 orders for the Junk Dealer and was able to polish off what was left of his rep grind.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think one of the Peter Englert quests gave me like 13 pts to speed. The one you MUST deliver on foot from Timefall farm.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm at a Low Roar gig tonight. They're playing a small pub and tickets were £8. Going to be yelling at them to play the DS music.

Get a selfie with Kojima while you're there.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Side note for the people discussing BT loading screens, I had a zip line network in the mountains and one section someone put a zip line in the middle of BT territory. It was the fastest route, but anytime I would use it I would get the BT noise and at the end a few BTs would spawn and start trying to goop me while still on the zipline but I just boost to the next one with no issues. There was no loading Odradek though. It may just load in the zip animation though not sure.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Colonel Whitey posted:

Distribution centers in particular take a lot to level up but normal side deliveries do plenty for preppers and waystations. For distro centers you generally want to take on those massive truck scale deliveries which usually come from other distro centers.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lol that's crazy. I've definitely tried to max out timed deliveries by just wheelie boosting through a whole area and yeah I don't remember getting any big bonus for it either.

It's so much fun seeing all of Kojimas odd sensibilities for various parts of gaming and telling a story applied to something other than MGS. There were so many times in the beginning of this game where I was like "wtf is this" and then I remember oh right he did that in MGS too.

Like why the gently caress is this guy named Diehard Man and no one thinks it's weird enough to explain....oh wait *gestures towards every single bad guys name in any MGS game ever*.

Edit: Is it normal to have not had a big introduction to either Heartman or Mama even if you've gotten to almost the end of chapter 3? I know I've seen footage of Sam interacting with them before but I've only had them as bit players and holograms so far. I thought maybe I just didn't do whatever optional mission leads to that in the starting area but then I thought I heard mama mention she's actually south of lake knot or something?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Edit: Is it normal to have not had a big introduction to either Heartman or Mama even if you've gotten to almost the end of chapter 3? I know I've seen footage of Sam interacting with them before but I've only had them as bit players and holograms so far. I thought maybe I just didn't do whatever optional mission leads to that in the starting area but then I thought I heard mama mention she's actually south of lake knot or something?

They don't really make a big deal about it, but both Heartman and Mama were left behind at different outposts by the First Expedition, so all your communication with them is by chiralgram until you go to link them up in person. Don't worry, you'll get pointed there.

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Mama and Heartman's introductions come later in the story than the other major characters, so you're not missing anything. Specifically, Mama is properly introduced in chapter 5 and Heartman in chapter 8.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol that's crazy. I've definitely tried to max out timed deliveries by just wheelie boosting through a whole area and yeah I don't remember getting any big bonus for it either.

It's so much fun seeing all of Kojimas odd sensibilities for various parts of gaming and telling a story applied to something other than MGS. There were so many times in the beginning of this game where I was like "wtf is this" and then I remember oh right he did that in MGS too.

Like why the gently caress is this guy named Diehard Man and no one thinks it's weird enough to explain....oh wait *gestures towards every single bad guys name in any MGS game ever*.

You get introduced to them. You didn't miss anything.

And the characters in this game love explaining their names.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I have a stupid question about Cliff and an endgame cutscene.

So when we finally see all the "BB flashbacks" for realsies at the very end, when you're supposed to bring Lou to the incinerator, we see the whole story put together for the first time.

Now this might make me seem like a complete idiot, but Cliff gets the gun from John, then kills his wife and grabs BB to try and escape. But when he kills his wife, he puts a pillow over her face and puts two in her head. What's that gonna do? She's already braindead and on artificial life support. You could probably cut her head off and she'd be fine (ignoring the blood loss, of course). Shouldn't he have shot her in the heart or something instead? I suppose "blood loss" is a good enough explanation.

I know this is such an unimportant stupid detail to get hung up on, but I really was like "wait, what? She's braindead... what's that gonna do?" when I watched that scene

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Cliff stuff: Pretty sure she’s the stillmother, and killing her is critical to making sure the pod baby can no longer work as a pod baby. Meaning if his escape plan had worked, there’d be no practical point in tracking him down.

e: oh right also braindead just means no major brain function, massive blood loss and skull trauma is a different matter

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 19, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

abraxas posted:

So when we finally see all the "BB flashbacks" for realsies at the very end, when you're supposed to bring Lou to the incinerator, we see the whole story put together for the first time.

Now this might make me seem like a complete idiot, but Cliff gets the gun from John, then kills his wife and grabs BB to try and escape. But when he kills his wife, he puts a pillow over her face and puts two in her head. What's that gonna do? She's already braindead and on artificial life support. You could probably cut her head off and she'd be fine (ignoring the blood loss, of course). Shouldn't he have shot her in the heart or something instead? I suppose "blood loss" is a good enough explanation.

I know this is such an unimportant stupid detail to get hung up on, but I really was like "wait, what? She's braindead... what's that gonna do?" when I watched that scene

You haven’t seen many spy movies. It’s muffling the sound of the gunshot.

Edit:also the above post.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

You guys are misunderstanding what I'm asking.

I'm not asking why he shot her, I understand that. I also understand that the pillow muffles the gun sound. My question is why shoot her IN THE HEAD to kill her? She's already braindead, shooting her in the head is like shooting her in the hand. That's not gonna make her brain MORE DEAD. I mean, it kinda makes it less "in one piece" I guess but to actually KILL her dead-dead like he tried to, he should've pulled out the life support or shot her in the heart so the bloodflow to the rest of her body stops... something like that, right?

edit: stupid typo

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Romes128 posted:

And the characters in this game love explaining their names.

I mean I guess the MGS bosses loved doing that too, but it's still funny to spend so much of the game walking around like OK Die Hard Man......byee

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

abraxas posted:

You guys are misunderstanding what I'm asking.

I'm not asking why he shot her, I understand that. I also understand that the pillow muffles the gun sound. My question is why shoot her IN THE HEAD to kill her? She's already braindead, shooting her in the head is like shooting her in the hand. That's not gonna make her brain MORE DEAD. I mean, it kinda makes it less "in one piece" I guess but to actually KILL her dead-dead like he tried to, he should've pulled out the life support or shot her in the heart so the bloodflow to the rest of her body stops... something like that, right?

edit: stupid typo

Less anguish. Shooting her is more humane than just unplugging her from life support or cutting her air supply off. As well as making sure she’s 100% dead. Even braindead, Cliff didn’t want her to suffer.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

abraxas posted:

To answer your actual question: It could be that only her higher brain functions are gone, so her Ka is dead, but her brain stem and stuff are still keeping her organs working. They don't say how brain dead you have to be to be officially dead in DS or if she's on a heart-lung machine or what.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

abraxas posted:

Are you saying that becuase she's brain dead, that shooting her in the dead won't do anything? I'm pretty sure that if you shoot even a "brain dead" person in the head they will die because the brain is actually still actually performing vital functions, but IANAD.

Edit: self correction, brain dead does not mean what I thought it did, and if the game uses that term and means it, then maybe shooting her in the head wouldn't kill her, except through blood loss. Otherwise she's probably actually in a persistent vegetative state, in which shooting her in the head would kill her.

PhoenixFlaccus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I can’t tell if literally getting paid in likes is dystopian or utopian as hell