Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

El Grillo posted:

Could be set before HL2, for sure. I wouldn't be surprised, either. Always seemed like they couldn't figure out what came next (despite that ex-Valve writer posting his version of the story resolution ages ago).

I'd put money on it being pre-gordon's return

I am super curious how locomotion will be handled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Finally got my quest to update. I also found that most of my USB c cables were 2.0 because I tried to transfer a large data file from a portable SSD and they would only get about 30 megabytes per second. I finally found a couple with USB 3 speeds and I took the active USB 3 extender from one of my wall mounted sensors and plug that into the quest. I tried messing around in the Oculus home area and I also played some elite dangerous and I found the experience to be better than my OG rift but I don't have a rift s to compare it to. I could not find any compression issues or artifacts at all for most of the time. But when I got into a dog fight in elite dangerous then the signal froze a couple of times.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think most of the most ardent circa-Vive launch teleportation only people are no longer with the company. Probably at one point it was teleport only and then reworked into some kind of free loco

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

According to Carmack's talk, better than Rift-S latency is technically achievable on the Quest with some low level software engineering to allow for the output of the video feed per scanline instead of per frame.

That was ONLY head motion to Photon latency since they do a quick ASW after the frame is received on the HMD. However you'll still have higher latency for things like controller position than the S. But the link solution is so good we're probably talking something like 15ms which is probably below perceptible.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I am really enjoying this new "VR IS A GIMKICK AND FAD AND I HATE IT" resurgence, totally unironically.

Boneworks looks incredible too!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

I am really enjoying this new "VR IS A GIMKICK AND FAD AND I HATE IT" resurgence, totally unironically.

Big same on both of these

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Got a lot of whiplash going from "oh cool they finally announced that Half Life VR game everyone's known about for years" to seeing everyone online go "holy poo poo they announced a new Half Life game out of nowhere and its VR exclusive??"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

homeless snail posted:

I think most of the most ardent circa-Vive launch teleportation only people are no longer with the company. Probably at one point it was teleport only and then reworked into some kind of free loco

Teleportation movement came from an assumption of motion sickness being far bigger issue than it turned out to be. Valve would've known for YEARS now that it's not by now.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Motion sickness is certainly an issue but the issue is (mostly) that developers were not providing enough haptic feedback. Or they were taking control away for the player and moving the camera which hits so many "no gently caress off barrrrf" levels in me.

Even Vader immortal has issues. Give me a rumble when I grab onto something and I stop feeling sick, but if you don't I have to move my feet and pretend i'm climbing a ladder to make my body think i'm moving.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

KakerMix posted:

The resetera thread is an absolute joy. The amount of salt is amazing.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

dogstile posted:

Motion sickness is certainly an issue but the issue is (mostly) that developers were not providing enough haptic feedback. Or they were taking control away for the player and moving the camera which hits so many "no gently caress off barrrrf" levels in me.

Even Vader immortal has issues. Give me a rumble when I grab onto something and I stop feeling sick, but if you don't I have to move my feet and pretend i'm climbing a ladder to make my body think i'm moving.
The trick for me was always tricking my vestibular system into thinking I was driving/piloting, usually by sitting down (which doesn't work at roomscale), but stuff like Asgard's Wrath and Stormlands has cracked more of the motion sickness code with free standing movement and I'm into it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

somethingawful bf posted:

please link

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Truga posted:

please link

https://www.resetera.com/threads/half-life-alyx-announced.153890/

For all the negativity though, there are plenty of people in that thread and elsewhere saying that they area going to get a headset because of the game which is pretty awesome.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 19, 2019

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I have no clue if my rapidly aging computer will work better with the Link than it did with Virtual Desktop but I ordered a cable so I guess we'll find out!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Lmao, resetera.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Breakfast All Day posted:

A 20+ hour HL3:VR launch now would piss off everyone because only ~2% of Steam gamers have VR and most VR equipment is honestly still a generation away from not sucking.
There's no reason why you can't make a game work in both VR and on the flatscreen. Valve should probably pull a funny one by releasing the 2D mode to a potential HL3 around 2-4 weeks later, or some poo poo.

Cicero posted:

Well, that's not what the benchmarks are showing. What data are you looking at?
Throwing more cores into SoCs is a nice way to pad benchmark numbers. Doesn't mean you can efficiency use them. Parallelizing algorithms is hard.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's no reason why you can't make a game work in both VR and on the flatscreen. Valve should probably pull a funny one by releasing the 2D mode to a potential HL3 around 2-4 weeks later, or some poo poo.

If it's the big leap forward that it's rumored to be I don't think it'll work in flatscreen at all.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

I mean... there are actually lots of reasons why this is very hard, the most obvious of which is if the game doesn't need VR why bother with it at all?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Combat Pretzel posted:

Throwing more cores into SoCs is a nice way to pad benchmark numbers. Doesn't mean you can efficiency use them. Parallelizing algorithms is hard.

It’s exponentially more work to make a really good VR game also work with desktop. The level of control fidelity offered is such a massive improvement.
They also were probably uninterested in trying to make a VR focused game also work well on the desktop, this has been a BIG focus for the company and making it VR only will certainly make sure they do it as best as they can by not diluting their efforts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pylons posted:

If it's the big leap forward that it's rumored to be I don't think it'll work in flatscreen at all.

ehh, it could work, but it'd probably be insanely clunky. just having two hands instead of a single crosshair is a major upgrade.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Presumably since they just sold everyone really expensive hand controllers, its gonna be a game with good hand interactions that you can't get outside of VR. At least I sure hope so

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not sure what data you're looking at, but what I linked to showed that the difference was about the same in single core vs multi core. Plus for GPU performance stuff is already parallelized.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

For all the negativity though, there are plenty of people in that thread and elsewhere saying that they area going to get a headset because of the game which is pretty awesome.

yeah if valve actually delivers here, this could be pretty good for vr

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
10 hours into Stormland. Game's still good.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

El Grillo posted:

Could be set before HL2, for sure. I wouldn't be surprised, either. Always seemed like they couldn't figure out what came next (despite that ex-Valve writer posting his version of the story resolution ages ago).

The Walrus posted:

I'd put money on it being pre-gordon's return
Ars Technica is reporting quite confidently that this is in fact the case:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/half-life-alyx-what-we-know-about-valves-upcoming-full-length-vr-game posted:

Today's announcement has confirmed a hard truth: Valve's game development teams still cannot count to three. In HLA's case, it's because this is a prequel, not a sequel.
[...]
Instead of stepping forward in time, HLA will rewind to the period between the first two mainline Half-Life games.
[...]
This new VR game mixes things up by putting you in Alyx's shoes, years before the events of HL2 and before Freeman's return to the series' universe.
They state this is based on trusted anonymous sources though, so I guess we'll just have to see on Thursday.

It does seem very likely, I'm sure if they had a good plan for how to move forward from where they left off in HL2E2 they'd have done it by now just to get people to shut the gently caress up about their ability to count to three. A prequel lets them explore the character and universe more while still having a clear idea of where they're going to end up.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I wonder if it'll have Dog voice commands. I'm assuming It will probably be a big part of the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Calipark posted:

It's amazing how much a 'look' can define an engine. I can see why someone might assume it was Source going by the art style alone. Even though they are using Unity.

Only because devs are lazy and tend to keep a lot of the same out-of-the-box features built in.

This is far less true now though. You can make Unity or Unreal games that look identical to each other.

Thank goodness boneworks isn't actually source, dunno who would use it outside valve in 2019.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Walrus posted:

I am super curious how locomotion will be handled

I'm guessing teleport.

I'm still kinda surprised that HL2 had VR support (and was great, I played it a ton) and now it doesn't.

I'm guessing that locomotion is a main reason why.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Teleportation movement came from an assumption of motion sickness being far bigger issue than it turned out to be. Valve would've known for YEARS now that it's not by now.

Huh? You've maybe spent too long in this VR echo chamber if you think this.

I still prefer teleport to free move when available.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Its not that simple. Resident Evil is flat and VR so this isn't even an argument. But not all gameplay models will work equally in both the way horror does, and adapting the game to work better in one may work less in the other. Leading to developing two games with shared components which can get messy fast.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh? You've maybe spent too long in this VR echo chamber if you think this.

I still prefer teleport to free move when available.

Teleport has always been bad for me. It's either implemented poorly or just way more frustrating than just moving a joystick.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It really helped with my motion sickness when I changed settings to where I would look would turn my character, instead of being able to free look while using the joystick to move. Physically turning to change direction really eased up the feeling for me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's no reason why you can't make a game work in both VR and on the flatscreen.

I guess, besides the entire control system and UI and wait a second that isn't easy at all

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Looks like its gonna time to dust off the ol' headset. Maybe I'll pick up Lone Echo for now that I've got VR on the mind, I've heard its really good.

So is this releasing Thursday, somehow, or is it just doing the full reveal Thursday. I assume its the second, but that the game itself probably isn't too far out?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

March 2020 is the current speculation

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Teleport movement sucks dick.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
It probably makes it a nightmare to test for, but there really should be multiple forms of locomotion. I'm impervious to motion sickness, so I prefer straight up smooth motion/no snap turning/moving with the thumbsticks, but I know there are people that can't handle that, quite a few actually, so having options is the best way to go imo.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 19, 2019

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

GlyphGryph posted:

Looks like its gonna time to dust off the ol' headset. Maybe I'll pick up Lone Echo for now that I've got VR on the mind, I've heard its really good.

A lot of people really like Lone Echo, but personally I found the single player kinda dull and never finished it. I'd suggest that if you're gonna drop $40 on a VR game right now, it should be on Stormland. It is amazing.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^yeah you may be the odd one out on that

homeless snail posted:

Presumably since they just sold everyone really expensive hand controllers, its gonna be a game with good hand interactions that you can't get outside of VR. At least I sure hope so
Well they were researching sign language for HL3 a while back so... :tinfoil:

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Teleport movement sucks dick.