Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i will afford some respect to the creative process behind them but i think the concept and often execution has always been dumb and have zero desire to engage with any of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

if you can post about abriged series in this thread, I can post about fanfic. is that really a door you want to open?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Who cares if they like it, are you dying from exposure

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Elephant Parade posted:

if you can post about abriged series in this thread, I can post about fanfic. is that really a door you want to open?

i mean i really don't see why not, if it's good fanfic people will probably enjoy it and if it's bad fanfic you'll probably just get laughed out of the thread

better than endless F:GO chat that i can barely understand, much less engage with, because i don't play gacha games

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean i really don't see why not, if it's good fanfic people will probably enjoy it and if it's bad fanfic you'll probably just get laughed out of the thread

better than endless F:GO chat that i can barely understand, much less engage with, because i don't play gacha games

FGO has it's own thread for two years now, all that chat is funneled there.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 19, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

post the one that's about the one DA fighting the other DA's, armed with aspects of the true magic, to free the Six Sisters from NOTEs. that one was really good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

ordinarily i'd agree that HF is just straight-up not possible to do this with, but honestly, i feel like the way they're handling Sakura in UBW Abridged (she passive-aggressively hates everybody for ignoring the horrible poo poo happening to her) gives them an angle that would work
this is literally already her character

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like they're clearly not afraid of some loving dark jokes on this subject matter and they've proven they have the chops to make it work; just reframe the Shadow as her bottled-up anger at all the idiots around her taking physical form and going out to murder people, and have Dark Sakura explicitly be the product of her being outright done with everyone's poo poo, and I think everything falls into place from there
this is literally already what the plot is

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 19, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

fanfic: good, sincere, works within the work to expand it
abridged series: bad, insincere, diminishes the work by reducing it to quick gags

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I mean, I stuck with DBZ: Abridged and YGO Abridged for a long time back when I was into that stuff because there was a sincere love for those shows even with all the joking and prodding.

The difference with those having an abridged and making an abridged with Fate is that those two series in particular was derived from dubbed material that was basically it's own source of hilarity to pull jokes out of. Fate doesn't really have that as a base and couple that with my current disinterest, there's not much to convince me to try it especially when the franchise does more than enough silly poo poo on it's own to give me a chuckle.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Link me to your Fate forum RPs

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I dunno, I'd say Fate has more than enough inherent po-faced ridiculousness to sustain a parody series. I mean, Christ, even the wiki is a work of baroque artwork where every linked explanation only raises further questions.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:hfive:

FGO is basically licensed fanfiction, anyway. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, I'd say Fate has more than enough inherent po-faced ridiculousness to sustain a parody series. I mean, Christ, even the wiki is a work of baroque artwork where every linked explanation only raises further questions.
the only fate thing you could remotely call po-faced is fate/zero

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

the only fate thing you could remotely call po-faced is fate/zero

Counterpoint - the two big philosophical duels at the end of Unlimited Blade Works. The content was definitely sillier then the presentation there.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
FGO story is good, fun, silly, dumb, heartbreaking, and serious all at once.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Counterpoint - the two big philosophical duels at the end of Unlimited Blade Works. The content was definitely sillier then the presentation there.

Those scenes were perfectly fine in the VN, its just that the anime made them suck.

Not to mention like, yeah, those scenes are a bit overdone, but they're also the end result of over 50 hours (and an entirely separate route's) worth of buildup. They're allowed to indulge a bit. I'd hardly call that 'po-faced.'

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The funniest thing about the duel between Shirou and the red guy is how profoundly unadaptable it is. You can't really blame Ufotable for that one, the whole drat thing is just interior monologues while two guys straightforwardly swing swords at each other. It's great in the VN, but some things just work better on the page than they do animated.

The Rin scene that happens simultaneously makes me agree with the thread title though

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Endorph posted:

fanfic: good, sincere, works within the work to expand it
abridged series: bad, insincere, diminishes the work by reducing it to quick gags
For sure. Wide Sargasso Sea is a fanfic of Jane Eyre, at least in part, and it's a published (and popular!) novel with real depth.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nrook posted:

The funniest thing about the duel between Shirou and the red guy is how profoundly unadaptable it is. You can't really blame Ufotable for that one, the whole drat thing is just interior monologues while two guys straightforwardly swing swords at each other. It's great in the VN, but some things just work better on the page than they do animated.

The Rin scene that happens simultaneously makes me agree with the thread title though

Honestly, you could just take a very sharp knife to the script. Nasu's writing is heavy on repetition and redundancy, and they didn't need to be talking nearly as much for us to get the point about what was going on. Maybe do a little more with the flashbacks, cut between Archer fighting Shirou and all the other fights in his long, miserable life. Show us his mindset through his eyes, and make the whole thing more visually engaging and creative. As for Gilgamesh, you could maybe cut out of the fight to build tension, show Fuyuki's citizens succumbing to the mana drain and make it a race against time. Generally, just remember that this is an anime and you can and should replace textual storytelling with visual storytelling where you can.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, it's totally adaptable, you just have to actually change stuff. The big problem Fate adaptations suffer from is that they seem terrified of actually adapting anything, instead preferring to go 1:1. Babylonia is suffering the worst for this, even if it has its moments, while Fate/Zero is the one I'd say was willing to change things up a bit.

Kara no Kyoukai is still the best animated type moon thing I think, and it was also the one that went wholehog on changes, additions, and subtractions.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
UBW is definitely the most unadaptable route of the VN, but they hurt the pacing too by going the full two cours imo, it would have been much tighter as like a 20 or 21 episode show or something. First season was excellent but second just dragged horribly.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Yeah you might be right. You could definitely make a fight like Shirou vs Archer compelling in a live-action film so there's probably a way to make it decent in an anime too. The show definitely could stand to be shorter. It didn't help that they wanted to make a sequel to Zero too (I assume) so you wound up with an Ilya episode even though she doesn't matter at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean if anything the UBW TV would be better if they leaned more into making it a Zero sequel, because at least it'd serve, like, a function. There's some stuff that's executed well and is cool to see animated but by and large it's an inferior version of the VN route. And UBW is the middle route of the VN so it doesn't really stand as its own story besides.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
While I love HF movies, to this day I think that they should have adapted HF instead of UBW as anime series. I feel that HFs slow burn development leading to explosive finale would have worked far better as a 20+ episode anime than a series of movies and it would have been a natural sequel to Fate/Zero. Meanwhile UBW, could get the movie adaptation treatment and would probably end up being better than the anime we got. :shrug:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

I mean if anything the UBW TV would be better if they leaned more into making it a Zero sequel, because at least it'd serve, like, a function. There's some stuff that's executed well and is cool to see animated but by and large it's an inferior version of the VN route. And UBW is the middle route of the VN so it doesn't really stand as its own story besides.

Agreed. I actually enjoyed the scenes they added of Shirou's early interactions with Kiritsugu. There was a whole bunch of school life stuff shared between the three routes before the actual split they could have added to:
1. Make us care more about Shirou and Rin's classmates when the school gets threatened by Shinji/Rider.
2. Better show the contrast of Shirou's public personality and his survivor's guilt.

They probably couldn't have done the cool dual sided pilot leading up to Archer's/Saber's first clash that way, though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Meanwhile UBW, could get the movie adaptation treatment and would probably end up being better than the anime we got. :shrug:

Well

It DID get the movie adaptation treatment

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Rody One Half posted:

Well

It DID get the movie adaptation treatment

Yeah, I meant kinda like that, but good. :v:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 20, 2019

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Anyway I like UBWA. Doesn't always land, but lands enough for me to laugh at. Will miss Abridged Sakura.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Uh HF would be a horrible anime series, it would be like 22 episodes of nothing and then have an explosive finish. Plus you realllly can't show most of Sakura's situation like you can in a movie.

UBW anime was fine imo, the two final fight scenes were a bit weak but still hype to see when it aired. Still my favorite route of the 3 too.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

Fire away, I've probably read it anyway

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Uh HF would be a horrible anime series, it would be like 22 episodes of nothing and then have an explosive finish. Plus you realllly can't show most of Sakura's situation like you can in a movie.

I mean, according to that logic we just had two HF movies of nothing. And if their reception is anything to go by, most of watchers really like the kind of "nothing" that early parts of HF route provide. If anything, most of the complaints I saw were mostly about movies moving a bit too fast and not explaining things well enough for casual Fate fans, which are fair, but also kinda inevitable when you are trying to adapt the longest VN route into three movies and also something that would be a far less of an issue with anime.

And it's not like the movies handled Sakura's situation in some kinda of super hardcore explicit way that would be impossible to adapt to anime. They would have to tone down gore, which is whatever, not have explicit on-screen sex scenes, which is again, whatever and cut the scene of Sakura masturbating in the hallway which....uh would be a clear improvement to be honest. Outside of that what's there that couldn't be shown in anime? I mean Fate/Zero already painted us a pretty clear picture of Sakura's situation and that was anime as well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

Yeah, it's totally adaptable, you just have to actually change stuff. The big problem Fate adaptations suffer from is that they seem terrified of actually adapting anything, instead preferring to go 1:1. Babylonia is suffering the worst for this, even if it has its moments, while Fate/Zero is the one I'd say was willing to change things up a bit.
This is why I'm really curious about the Camelot movies. They might be able to sidestep Babylonia's problems if they're smart about it, though we could end up with something akin UBW 2010's hypercondension...except across two movies instead of just one I guess.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 20, 2019

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

nrook posted:

They could have done a better job of it. I think they just got overwhelmed. Without changing any of the content, not breaking it off goddamn straight in the middle between episodes completely killing the momentum would be a good start.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The Red Man fight could've been good if they hadn't gone and hosed it up with terrible editing choices. Like cutting away at critical moments, for example.
Or at least kept the tension through the Rin parts.

Also do some proper fight choreography that doesn't destroy any sense of physical space the scene could have. Even today, the thing I remember the most about that scene is how Shirou's infinite charge includding a completely random teleport (10 steps forward 15 steps back!) and somehow never escalates in emotion even though that's like the most basic device in the book.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people make fun of the ubw movie but it legitimately handled that fight better.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

You mean by showing that Shirou straight up win against Archer because he is stronger than him?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

the real question is, once the heavens feel movies are all done, are we going to get a far side tsukihime film

it can come out simultaneously to help promote the remake

this will definitely happen

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Also you guys are making a lot of suggestions that the UBW anime actually DID.
The central episode of the duel is very different from the VN, it's not a straight 1-1 adaptation at all. There is a huge use of symbolic images and flashbacks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

Also you guys are making a lot of suggestions that the UBW anime actually DID.
The central episode of the duel is very different from the VN, it's not a straight 1-1 adaptation at all. There is a huge use of symbolic images and flashbacks.

The direction is very flat, though, in a way that doesn't draw the audience in. We see the flashbacks, but we don't feel the flashbacks, not least because of the ghastly, repetitive dialogue overlaying them. There is far more room for show-not-tell than they used - for a start, they could have sold Archer being reminded of the beauty of Shirou's ideals by letting them be beautiful. Let the flashbacks change in tone as they interweave with the action, as Archer remembers the people he helped and the courage of ordinary people that inspired him to keep going for so long. Let a gruelling, nasty grudge-match turn into a joyous celebration of heroism. Unlimited Blade Works isn't just a weapons factory. It's Archer's museum of treasured memories, the records of every hero he's ever met, the people he once wanted to imitate so much that he sacrificed everything to try to join their ranks. The Reality Marble changing as he's reminded of that would be super neat.

Of course, you're probably going to have to do something about the regular reminders of 'Archer left Rin tied to a chair in a room with the most obviously rapey dude in Fuyuki and didn't bother to warn anyone', because that was very effective for undermining any sympathy you might feel for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I think there is a big misunderstanding here.
The Shirou -Archer duel was not about Archer changing idea, it was about Shirou coming to terms with the contradictions in his ideal. That why it was "a fight against himself". Archer change of heart was more a (meaningful) afterthought. The cool imagery you are suggesting is about something that was never the point.

Also
1 - UBW is not a "museum of treasured memories", it's lifeless graveyard of rubble and rusted iron. The manga actually stressed this point: Archer says that each sword in UBW is a tombstone, and it's there to remember him of past failures.
2 - the "UBW changes the more Archer change idea" thing was done anyway in the following episode. I really think that you guys do not remember this anime at all.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 20, 2019