Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Fishstick posted:

Is it different in story? In online the single whistle already makes the horse keep following you in most situations, unless you explicitly tell it to stay.

It might be the other way around but I definitely did it in online on console.
And whistling repeatedly seems to make them come faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is there any way to avoid matchmaking so I don't have to play with idiots who fail the intro mission?

Edit: Guess not. So they included a way for people to grief others that prevents them from accessing online free roam. :rockstar:

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 19, 2019

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
A new patch just downloaded for me.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Finally tried this game out , and I was kind of getting into the setting and the characters right up until I tripped a "profanity" filter for naming my horse Crackerjack ,

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I hit the filter for trying to name a custom outfit "Marshall"

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Honestly, Marshall I almost get, it's pretty common to black list meaningful words in your world (like titles) or the names of some characters... Crackerjack though...I guess no jacking at all huh.

Orv
May 4, 2011
But my crystals...

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Ghetto Prince posted:

Finally tried this game out , and I was kind of getting into the setting and the characters right up until I tripped a "profanity" filter for naming my horse Crackerjack ,

Ahh I see Rockstar borrowed the learning filter that :dice: developed

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Ghetto Prince posted:

For me naming my online guy, "Charles bolton" and "charles boles" were both flagged as profanity. "Black Bart" was fine.

Clbuttic

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It's reminds me of dark souls where you couldn't put the word Knight into any name.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
*Finally* a perfect badger pelt! Reddit post said that a couple badgers sleep under the dreamcatcher tree near the "N" in "Heartlands" on the map.

And afterwards, of course, heading down to the swamps to get a kitty, stumble into a random Pristine badger. :smithicide: One Florida Panther with an arrow sticking through it's head like Steve Martin, satchel crafted, and I'm ready to go get a cougar for the Lootmaster 9000 bag, and...

...wait, Pearson already had everything for that. :ughh:

Oh well. Am now killing/hoovering all the materials, ingredients, random loot and provisions across the world. Also making dangerous choices - cleaned out a Lemoyne resupply, and decided to haul the wagon off to the fence for some cash. All those boxes of ammo and dynamite are cosmetic, right?

CapnBeeb linked me to a video he did. They're not cosmetic. :ohdear: Forty bucks is forty bucks, though.

Still not 40% done with the game, still haven't unlocked fishing. :v: Other than "fill my bag", think I'll try knocking off some more Legendary critters, then maybe steal that oil-tank wagon for the job...

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Holy poo poo, they reset my settings after a patch again. More fool me for not setting it to read-only I guess.

ladd
Aug 14, 2004
This is getting ridiculous, when it first came out I was getting A avg of 30FPS, then they patched it it improved to 60FPS; Now with the new patch it's back to 30fps. Going to ask for a refund or something.
Edit: Great, they totally wrecked my settings by changing the resolution to 720P, and upping all my settings to Ultra.

ladd fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 19, 2019

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Yeah I don't know if it's confirmation bias but with identical settings and drivers I'm back to performance from before the latest patch, which had significantly improved it. I'm not chugging or anything but the GPU is noticeably stressing the same way as it did at launch.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Fyi it seems to reset your graphic settings each patch lol

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Make Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings\system.xml read-only after adjusting your settings. Also the only way I was able to get fullscreen to stick and enable ultra textures without the game bitching about vRAM.

Edit: :lol:, nevermind, it resets them anyway. :rockstar:

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 19, 2019

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Glenn Quebec posted:

Fyi it seems to reset your graphic settings each patch lol

Pain in the dick, that is. I just used the recently-posted optimization settings, and it immediately boosted my benchmark framerate to 80 FPS, and looked even prettier than before.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Anyone else have this issue where the game will randomly flicker and then you have to click back into the game as if you alt tabbed but you didn't?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is that herbalist guy you run into from time to time in the wilderness important? I accidentally got onto his horse and he immediately took off sprinting yelling that I was a horse thief so I lassoed him and tossed him into a river.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Frankston posted:

Is that herbalist guy you run into from time to time in the wilderness important? I accidentally got onto his horse and he immediately took off sprinting yelling that I was a horse thief so I lassoed him and tossed him into a river.

I did the same thing (I never even saw him in my first playthrough) and he showed up again no problem. Only seen him twice though.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Has anyone found a way to take the new legendary bounty alive? I tried shooting his gun out of his hand during the deadeye draw, but apparently that doesn't work in online. I got like 5 shots into his gun/hand and then he bled out. :confused:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I think the recurring-random encounters like the herbalist and shopkeepers may be pod people - kill (or let die, if you get an animal or enemy attack at the wrong time and place), and a new pod opens up somewhere, so that the Trapper shall always exist...

I, uh, kinda shot the Trapper in the head once, checking to see if he was essential. (Skyrim/Fallout reflexes, there.)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

SplitSoul posted:

Make Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2\Settings\system.xml read-only after adjusting your settings. Also the only way I was able to get fullscreen to stick and enable ultra textures without the game bitching about vRAM.

Edit: :lol:, nevermind, it resets them anyway. :rockstar:

Copy it and a shortcut to your settings folder to your desktop in the meanwhile. Backup the defaults in case they change the content/schema for the file.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ygolonac posted:

I think the recurring-random encounters like the herbalist and shopkeepers may be pod people - kill (or let die, if you get an animal or enemy attack at the wrong time and place), and a new pod opens up somewhere, so that the Trapper shall always exist...

I, uh, kinda shot the Trapper in the head once, checking to see if he was essential. (Skyrim/Fallout reflexes, there.)

If you kill shopkeepers they just come back with a bandage on their head. They’ll be rude but you can still buy things

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you kill shopkeepers they just come back with a bandage on their head. They’ll be rude but you can still buy things

The one in Rhodes is pissily calling me a thief after I robbed the basement. Bitch, you *offered* me that money... and the Yellowboy.

I have to find the pics I took of the Valentine butcher - his whole head was covered in blood, looked like me after the Gwar concert last month. (Also, I hadn't done poo poo to him, he just... showed up that way.)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I always headcanon that doing some less than lethal things like punching a guy or shooting them in the hand doesn't kill them. They either pass out or know when to play dead. That X on the map ain't fooling me.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ygolonac posted:

I have to find the pics I took of the Valentine butcher - his whole head was covered in blood, looked like me after the Gwar concert last month. (Also, I hadn't done poo poo to him, he just... showed up that way.)

That loving Valentine butcher .. I bumped someone with my horse on the way through town which started a fistfight, and before I knew it the butcher jumped on me from behind to pin my arms while the guy wailed on me :stare:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hihohe posted:

I always headcanon that doing some less than lethal things like punching a guy or shooting them in the hand doesn't kill them. They either pass out or know when to play dead. That X on the map ain't fooling me.

Sometimes when you punch someone it registers as a Knock Out instead of a kill, though. It will count as alive for bounty purposes.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Speaking of punching. I’m terrible at the fistfighting, what am I not doing? I can’t seem to block anything ever

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Speaking of punching. I’m terrible at the fistfighting, what am I not doing? I can’t seem to block anything ever

What do you mean? Just hold R. Try to time R with their strike to do a bit of a parry type move (I can't think of the word)

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
A fist bunt

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

You can just hold the block button, you don't need to time it. That's the realization that made it click for me.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Hakarne posted:

Has anyone found a way to take the new legendary bounty alive? I tried shooting his gun out of his hand during the deadeye draw, but apparently that doesn't work in online. I got like 5 shots into his gun/hand and then he bled out. :confused:

Does shooting his weapon work?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I was chilling in Colter, Ambarino, wrapping up a collector route. It's like one of the most remote places in the mountains, with knee deep snow and very little to do outside of picking up some stuff or kill an elk.

So imagine my surprise when I go outside the cabin I just picked up a tarot card from when 2 Maxim guns start opening up on me. Apparently that spot turns into a gang hideout sometimes, which I was definitely not expecting.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Sleekly posted:

Does shooting his weapon work?

Yeah that's what I tried. I hit the weapon dead on multiple times and it didn't work like it does in single player.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Guys, before I throw a hissy fit, where are all the badgers? I need a perfect one for my satchel collection, I've been looking for badgers for 2 whole ingame days, roaming from Valentine to Rhodes (looked in the Heartlands, all along the river north of Valentine, and all the land from the stables way north of Rhodes to south of the Braithwaite mansion) and saw exactly 0 badgers. Rabbits, deer, snakes, skunks, squirrels, wolves, coyotes, horses, muskrats, turkeys, you name it... I've seen many, many of them, but not one single badger. :mad:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I got some perfect pelts belonging to small animals off of some NPCs I killed once. So far its only happened the one time, and I can't remember where it was.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

TorakFade posted:

Guys, before I throw a hissy fit, where are all the badgers? I need a perfect one for my satchel collection, I've been looking for badgers for 2 whole ingame days, roaming from Valentine to Rhodes (looked in the Heartlands, all along the river north of Valentine, and all the land from the stables way north of Rhodes to south of the Braithwaite mansion) and saw exactly 0 badgers. Rabbits, deer, snakes, skunks, squirrels, wolves, coyotes, horses, muskrats, turkeys, you name it... I've seen many, many of them, but not one single badger. :mad:

My personal nightmare badger hunt came to an end after 4 in-game nights in the heartland. I think they're nocturnal so make sure you're hunting at night. Also feel free to charge about on horseback looking for their tracks, seemed a lot easier to find tracks that way.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Should I use the launch parameter on a 9600K or is it strictly for HT-enabled processors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That stuff has been fixed as of yesterday. See here