Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

In the snow level, what is the weakness of the snow giants that roll like a retarded milktank? They are tankier than the other snowmen + deal 2x more damage. Every other enemy in the area seems weak to fire except them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

In the snow level, what is the weakness of the snow giants that roll like a retarded milktank? They are tankier than the other snowmen + deal 2x more damage. Every other enemy in the area seems weak to fire except them...

Either use two handed weapons to break through their activated armor or try to get them to roll off a cliff.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ulio posted:

They are weak to fire, but the tough thing about them is their armor. Until you break that even with fire you're gonna be doing barely any damage. Shatter it and they'll go down faster.

But they're easily the toughest regular enemy in the game and if you don't need to fight them I say just run away.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ulio posted:

When they put on their armor you're supposed to tag them with fire once which weakens the armor, and then hit them one more time to shatter it. After that they are even more vulnerable to fire and will die quickly, you can conceivably one shot them after the armor break with fire cause of how swingy the elemental system works. Fire weapon works nicely from what I remember.

Or in that area they'll usually just roll off a cliff anyway.

Oh and before they put on the armor they're only like a little vulnerable to fire, and with the armor they're super resistant to everything. There's just a dumb script attached to them where hitting them with fire while armored primes the armor for breaking.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 13, 2019

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Rascyc posted:

Oh and before they put on the armor they're only like a little vulnerable to fire, and with the armor they're super resistant to everything. There's just a dumb script attached to them where hitting them with fire while armored primes the armor for breaking.

...that's why I never managed to kill one?

Does it work if you have a weapon that also deals fire damage?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They're weak to popping a camouflage, running past them, and activate the mistle behind them without ever engaging

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

cheetah7071 posted:

They're weak to popping a camouflage, running past them, and activate the mistle behind them without ever engaging

Not so helpful when you have to fight two of them in a boss arena. :(

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

King of Solomon posted:

Not so helpful when you have to fight two of them in a boss arena. :(

those ones are weak to not doing depths cause depths is kinda crap

on a more serious note, it felt like all the zones in the second half of the game had "miniboss" enemies who were just kinda extremely unfun to fight and I ended up learning to love camouflage items

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

They are weak to fire, but the tough thing about them is their armor. Until you break that even with fire you're gonna be doing barely any damage. Shatter it and they'll go down faster.

But they're easily the toughest regular enemy in the game and if you don't need to fight them I say just run away.

Alright nice to see I am not just horrible, I managed to kill them legit a few times but most of the times it's just been them suiciding off cliffs.

Btw I started playing the game solo after cathedral of scared blood and this game feels harder than souls solo but it might just be me getting used to a partner. The ai invasions are so loving stupid hard, this game has the same issue as Sekiro, where fighting groups/mobs at once is really hard/unbalanced or maybe it's just my blood code setup sucks for dealing with aoe.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The drain attack thing, is it ever useful? I have never been able to use it successfully even with no partner. How are you supposed to charge it up and not get hit?

Does the light tree blood veil gift rating actually affect the strength, duration, or anything of the buffs because as best as I can tell it doesn't. e.g. same damage from a weapon buff when I have a high or low light gift scaling. And what determines parry/backstab damage? My weapon? My weapon's drain rating? My blood veil's drain rating? My blood veil's stat scaling and drain rating?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's useful sometimes. I've managed to set up the occasional hit just by eyeballing distances and positioning myself so that the attack is charged before an enemy gets into its range. It feels like some charge faster than others, too.

The more reliable method are backstabs and combo drains, though.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
The Ivy type of charged drain is very reliable since you can move the blades' spawn point. Depending on how good your blood veil is, you can even one-shot weaker enemies with it, for essentially free ichor.

Bonus points if you do it to drop those enemies that are clinging to ledges.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The light gift stat only affect the buffs Bridge to Glory and Elemental Wall as far as I know. All other buffs have a set power. There are also a few offensive gifts affected by light gift, the spike type and barrage type gifts.

Parry/backstab damage is determined by your drain attack stat.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Sophism posted:

The Ivy type of charged drain is very reliable since you can move the blades' spawn point. Depending on how good your blood veil is, you can even one-shot weaker enemies with it, for essentially free ichor.

Wait what? That's a real thing? How?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It is, but I think there's only one or two veils in the game that actually let you do it. Night Thorn is one of them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Wait what? That's a real thing? How?
just hold the charge button and you can move the circle with the movement stick

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

...that's why I never managed to kill one?

Does it work if you have a weapon that also deals fire damage?
yeah I think so, been awhile. Just remember if you do that you need to wait for them to actually leave the "building the armor up" animation before you can break it, but I think you can prime it during that animation at least

Everything about those enemies is just wrong wrong wrong when I think about it

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 15, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

It is, but I think there's only one or two veils in the game that actually let you do it. Night Thorn is one of them.

The best is when it doesn't one shot something, but they don't aggro anyways so you can just tag them again.

In any case, it's good for: free ichor, checking around corners, pulling a specific guy, softening up strong ones, and knocking ambushing jerks off ledges.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

There's five Ivy-type veils (just like the other types) and they all have the same aim mechanics.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just got through berath and gilded hunter, those were like my first two solo bosses(not counting dungeon) as I stopped partnering before the frozen area. Man this game is way more challenging + fun solo. The partners make it way too easy, I mean why the gently caress can they revive you? I know it makes sense in the lore or whatever but it ruins the game imo. It's already so easy with a partner but the revive pushes it too far. Also they all do insane damage despite being of specific classes. Like Yakumo is suppose to be the tank but he still one shots most regular mobs. I would recommend anyone to start the game with a partner so you can learn the mechanics and get use to the combat's pace then switch to solo.

I would barely use any of my abilities before and run through most of the level but on my own I have to use my skills a lot better. The only time I will bring a partner is to clear the invasions, because fighting 3-4 mobs is so loving bad in this game.

Also on the drain attack question, I am still in my first playthrough but I have barely used it other than the first hour or so. I have really high drain on my weapon + backstabs keep you high on ichor. It's also probably a lot harder to pull off in solo whenever you are fighting more than 1 enemy. The drain attack makes no sense for the draining factor if you have high drain weapon, that being said I haven't used it enough to know if the damage is strong or not but I have no trouble vs most reg mobs so I don't lose much even if it's high dmg.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The main benefit of drain attacks versus weapon drain is that drain attacks increase your maximum ichor, which is helpful if you're running a build that uses a blood code with low inherent ichor but still want to pull out a bunch of buffs simultaneously. Other than that, I never really found much of a use for them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Drain attacks are nice when a boss is in their obligatory "I'm nearly invulnerable because I'm powering up" phase - the damage is still reduced but you gain buttloads of ichor off drains.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Four playthroughs later, I can finally put the game down! At least until the DLC.

Reached lvl 300 in the process. Played without a companion from start to finish in this last NG+ playthrough, and it definitely cemented my opinion that the Invasions are by far the worst parts of the game. Not a single boss in the game gave me as much trouble as some of the NG+ Invasions without a partner. Mostly because of being chain-staggered to death if something so much as tickled you.

All in all, I absolutely adored this game, and this is coming from someone that came into it with no hype whatsoever. Code Vein 2 will be a day one for me if they ever put out a sequel!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vermain posted:

The main benefit of drain attacks versus weapon drain is that drain attacks increase your maximum ichor, which is helpful if you're running a build that uses a blood code with low inherent ichor but still want to pull out a bunch of buffs simultaneously. Other than that, I never really found much of a use for them.

Holy ok that makes total sense. I didn't know that was a mechanic of it... Lol I was wondering why I had such low ichor...Basically 2 10 ichor abilities would completely wipe my ichor out but I had such drain that it never bothered me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lol, yeah, if you never noticed that then I can understand why you wouldn't think it's useful. Backstabbing as well as drain will reliably increase your maximum ichor (in addition to refilling it) on I think the basis of which enemy you used it on. It's always at least one, but I have seen it go up by as much as three maximum points at a time. This only lasts till the next time you bonfire, I believe, and it definitely does not last past fast-traveling, but it's really useful if you are planning to use gifts a lot - which you should be, really, nearly all of them are good for something.

Backstabbing is a finicky, but it's still easy enough that it's my preferred method, even if it gives less than a drain. A combo drain will give you yet again less than either, but is so fast and easy to use that you ought to do it at every opportunity, really.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Lol, yeah, if you never noticed that then I can understand why you wouldn't think it's useful. Backstabbing as well as drain will reliably increase your maximum ichor (in addition to refilling it) on I think the basis of which enemy you used it on. It's always at least one, but I have seen it go up by as much as three maximum points at a time. This only lasts till the next time you bonfire, I believe, and it definitely does not last past fast-traveling, but it's really useful if you are planning to use gifts a lot - which you should be, really, nearly all of them are good for something.

Backstabbing is a finicky, but it's still easy enough that it's my preferred method, even if it gives less than a drain. A combo drain will give you yet again less than either, but is so fast and easy to use that you ought to do it at every opportunity, really.

Ya ok I guess I missed this whole mechanics thats why I just relied on my weapon drain to get ichor back. I just thought the drain attack was just a drain that didn't increase your max ichor but even if it resets after bonfire that is really useful to know. You are right I had so many fights I wished I could start with more than two gifts but using two expensive gifts would wipe my ichor away.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's incredibly easy to increase your max ichor by double to triple within even just a single zone, which is a buffer that is especially great for boss fights, so I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of it now that you know.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
One major problem I have with this game, it does not seem to be balanced for either solo or using a partner. If you use a partner, most fights are too easy. If you go solo, there are a lot of gameplay elements that works against you. You get too few regenerations for solo. You also have no good means of handling groups of enemies aside from one shoot dark gift area of effect. I know of no enemies who are staggered with only one blow from a light weapon. In Dark Souls, most enemies do not have poise. Here, you need a large weapon to stun even the weakest enemies in one blow. This makes crowd control near nonexistent.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Honestly, outside of invasions, the double yeti fight in the Depths and Blade Bearer & Cannoneer, I'd argue the game is 100% balanced for solo. You can avoid being swarmed in regular situations pretty reliably, I thought. The invasions gave me a lot more trouble in my solo run than anything else in the game by orders of magnitude. Fights like Skull King felt challenging in just the right way solo, and completely trivial with a partner.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 19, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Levels feel balanced for solo play, bosses feel balanced for team play. If you're just walking through a zone with a partner in tow, there is basically no challenge at all. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, because I think I would've dropped this game already if not for being able to make some of the more tedious areas easier on myself.

Bosses, on the other hand, are so fast and unpredictable at times that it's just frustrating if you don't come in there with a second target to either play meat shield or DPS the boss to death while you frantically try to dodge out of the way of all that crazy teleport-dashing they just love to do. It's the part of the game where the God Eater design sensibilities of the dev studio arguably really clash with the way Soulslike games need you to be able to play in order to really work as a game. God Eater fights are all very frantic, very multitarget, while Soulslike bosses are based on predictability and being possible to meaningfully react to. Without the buffer of having a team of one to three other characters with you, the style of boss fight they're leaning on is just very, very hard to deal with.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
In Souls games, bosses have fixed combos -- they do a specific sequence of attacks unless you cancel them with positioning, and this makes them easy once you memorize the moveset since you can do the same dodge sequence every time. Some of the Code Vein bosses very noticeably use Markov chains where attacks flow into different followups and can keep going indefinitely until they hit an ending attack or you position yourself out of range of all possible followups. I don't think this is unfair, it's just different and you need to exploit positioning more. Gilded Hunter, for example, will never let up if you try to get away from him, but dodge behind him and you'll get the needed breather.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dark Souls had variable combos based on your positioning going back at least to DaS2. I distinctly remember bosses ending combos early if you're too far away, just like they do in Code Vein.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
This Vs Surge 2, which should I go for? I like my clunky robots but I'm sucker for a good character creator and I heard this game has chops. I've never tried Surge so I have no bias toward it really.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What are your thoughts on anime boobs

My basic opinion is this is a solid Souls clone and if you like souls and don't mind anime it's a good choice

If you love anime it's a slam dunk

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Surge 2 is more souls-like than Code Vein. I like the map and combat system much more.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Having completed all three Danganronpas and as a consummate liker of boobs I'd say I'm a level 3 AnimeHandler

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Promethium posted:

I don't think this is unfair, it's just different and you need to exploit positioning more.
I wouldn't say it's unfair, per se, I just think it speaks to the developer's lack of experience when it comes to working with the Soulslike style of combat. I've played the God Eater games and I recognize a lot of the behaviours and general patterns, it's really fairly noticeable if you're more than passingly familiar with both series. The thing is, it really works in God Eater, because you're so fast and mobile yourself and there is such a wide variety of long-range and area attacks available to yourself that it doesn't matter so much that the bosses flit about like hummingbirds on crack.

It doesn't work so much in this game, because you're still fundamentally playing by Soulslike movement rules while the bosses tend not to. Sure, it's still entirely doable, but not with the kind of reaction times that would've still let you get through quite a few Souls bosses on the first try just by paying close attention to visual cues and attack ranges. I think you're much more likely to die multiple times until you've seen all the health breakpoints at which the boss starts pulling out the multi-ports or arena-filling bullet hell attacks and can dodge the more bullshit instant kills in advance.

Someone asked up-thread why your partners can keep you from dying if you take fatal damage. The answer is because that's what they can do in God Eater and you really need it there for those times when a zone boss happens to sucker punch you from half the arena away and knocks out 80% of your health bar in one attack.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 20, 2019

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Songbearer posted:

This Vs Surge 2, which should I go for? I like my clunky robots but I'm sucker for a good character creator and I heard this game has chops. I've never tried Surge so I have no bias toward it really.

The Surge 2 was more fun but Code Vein was a better quality game, if that makes sense. I was overhyped for what Surge 2 brought to the table but it was solid. If you liked surge 1 it is better in almost every way. Overall story was not as strong as the surge, imo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sophism posted:

Honestly, outside of invasions, the double yeti fight in the Depths and Blade Bearer & Cannoneer, I'd argue the game is 100% balanced for solo. You can avoid being swarmed in regular situations pretty reliably, I thought. The invasions gave me a lot more trouble in my solo run than anything else in the game by orders of magnitude. Fights like Skull King felt challenging in just the right way solo, and completely trivial with a partner.

Ya imo the game is fine solo. The only issue you will have solo is the invasions other than that the regular mobs you can fight them even outnumbered but it is better to leash them 1 by 1. Solo just makes the boss fights more rewarding because before I swapped to solo midway through the game, I literally didn't bother to learn any of the bosses's patterns.

I also die a lot more solo vs bosses in this game than souls. I feel like what Crystal said about regen is correct, you don't regen as much and imo the bosses in someway are designed for 1v2 because you get very little room to heal.

I just defeated gilded hunter he just felt eerily similar to Owl from Sekiro...

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ulio posted:

I just defeated gilded hunter he just felt eerily similar to Owl from Sekiro...
Maybe if you try to go toe to toe with him in his rage mode but it seems like you're supposed to just dodge/block him until he burns out and then he's a chump again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Maybe if you try to go toe to toe with him in his rage mode but it seems like you're supposed to just dodge/block him until he burns out and then he's a chump again.

Ya the rage mode you literally have 1 frame to heal vs him but when he goes normal you can tell how relatively easy his regular form gets.