Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fuedalism with valley characteristics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fart simpson posted:

remember that guy that was really into rewriting the forums using node.js? must have been about 10 years ago

Remember the Reddit guy who got brought on for a project they abandoned and they forgot about him so he just got paid to work on his Bitcoin but JavaScript pet project

I think he also wanted to rewrite Reddit in JavaScript

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Remember the Reddit guy who got brought on for a project they abandoned and they forgot about him so he just got paid to work on his Bitcoin but JavaScript pet project

I think he also wanted to rewrite Reddit in JavaScript

iirc they rediscovered him when his name came up for a performance review and they p much fired him on the spot

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DaTroof posted:

iirc they rediscovered him when his name came up for a performance review and they p much fired him on the spot

checking his twitter he now seems to be a jordan peterson all meat diet guy now

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DaTroof posted:

I think it was shortly after he was posting openly on Reddit about how he didn't really have a job and was using their money to combine two dumbsjit ideas into one

mystes
May 31, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I think it was shortly after he was posting openly on Reddit about how he didn't really have a job and was using their money to combine two dumbsjit ideas into one
Dumbsjit shoud be the actual name of a javascript interpreter.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Dumbsjit shoud be the actual name of a javascript interpreter.

I’ll start the wiki GitHub

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fuedalism with valley characteristics

Elon Musk Thought on Feudalism with Valley Characteristics for a New Era

SRQ fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 19, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

Every comment on this story about Latin is complete nonsense: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21578345

The first comment starts with "Latin is the most powerful natural language I know," and it only gets worse from there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mystes posted:

Every comment on this story about Latin is complete nonsense: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21578345

The first comment starts with "Latin is the most powerful natural language I know," and it only gets worse from there.

Here, exilium (= "exile") logically belongs to the first verse. The flexible word order has allowed the author to arrange it so that this word appears in isolation (i.e., "in exile") from the verse it belongs to, while still fitting the metre (hexameter), thus matching what is being described with the form that is used to describe it. The suffix "-que" that can be attached to Latin words to mean "and" makes "longumque" also quite long as a word, stressing how long the exile is.

- someone who's never eaten pussy

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

mystes posted:

guy just openly admitting that he doesn't know Rust

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Here, exilium (= "exile") logically belongs to the first verse. The flexible word order has allowed the author to arrange it so that this word appears in isolation (i.e., "in exile") from the verse it belongs to, while still fitting the metre (hexameter), thus matching what is being described with the form that is used to describe it. The suffix "-que" that can be attached to Latin words to mean "and" makes "longumque" also quite long as a word, stressing how long the exile is.

*my scouter explodes from the power of this language*

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

mystes posted:

The lightweights didn't even bother with Sanskrit smdh

e: actually no Sanskrit would just be too much work for em I think

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 20, 2019

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

leave it to hackernews to have the same views on latin as 16th century european nobles

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I’m surprised they don’t recognize nihongo as the one true pure language

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

that's actually spoken and used so it lacks the hipster value of latin.

weebs are too mainstream for hacker news

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Or someone that went to school. Latin is a regular part of the curriculum in many places.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Lambert posted:

Or someone that went to school. Latin is a regular part of the curriculum in many places.

lol your old as heck

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess dead languages are convenient as a blank slate on which you can impose your own ideas without any pesky native speakers to tell you that you're insane.

Also, lol, are there really still places that force everyone to learn latin?

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 20, 2019

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

mystes posted:

Also, lol, are there really still places that force everyone to learn latin?

some catholic schools still do

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lots of traditional elite-y schools still do Latin and Greek as status symbol classes

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
There are many one good reason to study ancient Greek and/or Latin: so you can tell everybody else that you are not properly educated unless you know ancient Greek/Latin.

mystes
May 31, 2006

klafbang posted:

There are many one good reason to study ancient Greek and/or Latin: so you can tell everybody else that you are not properly educated unless you know ancient Greek/Latin.
It turns out this applies to everything you can study, luckily.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

klafbang posted:

well...that's not the only reason, but it's a reason that works for a lotta douchebags

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

alexandriao posted:

The lightweights didn't even bother with Sanskrit smdh

e: actually no Sanskrit would just be too much work for em I think

sanskrit would blow their minds. a non western language having a formal grammar??? thousands of years ago???

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

sanskrit would blow their minds. a non western language having a formal grammar??? thousands of years ago???

tbf the formal grammar studies of sanskrit are legitimately mindblowing

the foundations of modern etymology were independently discovered hundreds and hundreds of years before the study was systematized in the west, by people studying sanskrit

it is both amazing (because it happened twice) and sad (because it had to happen twice)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sanskrit doesn't help you with learning other Romance languages, learning it would be entirely pointless in a western context. That's why Latin reigns supreme.

But goons gotta goon. And most Americans can't even be arsed to learn Spanish.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'm sorry you wasted your youth being taught an ancient dead language instead of something remotely useful, but that doesn't mean you should goon out about how it will totally help you when you decide to learn a different actually-used language later in life, something which you have never done and honestly probably never will no matter how much you think you'd like to get around to it some day.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jabor posted:

i'm sorry you wasted your youth being taught an ancient dead language instead of something remotely useful, but that doesn't mean you should goon out about how it will totally help you when you decide to learn a different actually-used language later in life, something which you have never done and honestly probably never will no matter how much you think you'd like to get around to it some day.

lol whut

ancient dead languages are fun no matter how dead they are, in order to gain appreciation of ancient literature

that should be self-evident

are you such a philistine that great literature is not enough reason to learn a language

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i initially assumed it was an un-cited hn post but jabor helpfully used the verb "goon out" to indicate he's just a loving jackass

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
goon, out! is an imperative

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
learning a language (even, or perhaps especially, an ancient dead one) for its own sake is cool and good.

doing it solely because you think it will help with learning other languages later is dumb as heck.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
can we post good hn quotes here?

goranb 2 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: The End of the Computer Age

That introduction is a guillotinable offense.

for context, this is the "introduction" they're referring to:

quote:

Paul Singer: Good evening, everyone, and welcome to the 33rd Wriston Lecture. This lecture has become an important night in America's intellectual life through the force and consequence of the ideas offered at this podium over the years. The formula for that success is simple. We invite extraordinarily bright speakers who offer bold perspectives, perspectives which rarely get a hearing in Manhattan ballrooms or progressive covens. Delivering the Wriston Lecture in 1995—that was a huge laugh line [laughter]. I mean, are we napping? Delivering the Wriston Lecture in 1995, James Q. Wilson asked why Americans were so unhappy with a country that was more prosperous and powerful than ever. Wilson drew attention to several insufficiently addressed signs of disorder: crime, failing schools, a coarsening culture, and deteriorating civic life. Wilson argued that these problems had begun with the dissolution of the family, then, as now, a controversial view.

Today, disorder is rising again. And I'm not just referring to Mayor de Blasio's much-lamented return from Iowa [laughter]. You're getting there. This disorder is the consequence of a nationwide effort to roll back many of the successful policies that MI scholars have spent their careers advancing. De Blasio's presidential campaign may have ground to a halt, surprisingly [laughter], but the preposterous policies he supports are moving full-steam ahead, carried on the platforms of less incompetent but equally radical candidates. Here in New York, but not just in New York, we face an opioid and single parenthood crisis overlooked for too long by the experts. America's labor market and civic well-being suffer from an education system that continues to prioritize bureaucrats and administrators as well as entrenched power over students. Not to mention the curricula, now ubiquitous throughout higher education that indoctrinates our students to be ashamed of Western civilization and to despise private enterprise and economic freedom.

As for today's campus culture, let's just say that it welcomes a broad diversity of ideological viewpoints from Noam Chomsky all the way to Robespierre [laughter]. Wilson's remarks in 1995, and their echo and resonance today, are typical of the work and approach of the Manhattan Institute. MI scholars have never been afraid to challenge lazy, conventional thinking and offer bold diagnoses and solutions. We're persistent, and when we have a view about something, we do not back down under pressure from elites and cloistered cabals of holier-than-thou academics. MI adapts with the times, and also more so with the Journal [laughter]. But we've also stood for certain principles: rule of law, public safety, free markets, and the belief that culture is a key determinant of the welfare of societies. In investing, where I spend much of my time, this combination, the ability to adapt without losing sight of core convictions, is a necessity. You must be able to think independently and form strong contrarian views, while at the same time maintaining a good deal of humility about how much you don't know. When I first started investing, my dad thought that if his son was brilliant enough to get into Harvard Law School, then he must be smart enough to make money in the stock market. Wrong [laughter]. I learned the hard way that listening to the so-called authorities and blindly following the trend was no substitute for starting from a few core principals and applying them in innovative ways to the unique investing challenge that each new era brings.

It's the same in policy and politics. And the Manhattan Institute embodiment of this ethos is, I believe, what gives us our competitive advantage. It's embodied in the outlook of our new president, Reihan Salam. [applause] Back in 2008, Reihan and his then coauthor, Ross Douthat, was challenging the GOP to adapt its guiding principles to the new political realities. He's already bringing the same spirit to his leadership of MI, and we're looking forward to the leadership that he has in store. Our lecturer tonight is another example of this spirit of independence, persistence and innovative thinking. He's also one of the most effective critics of groupthink, whether in business, politics or philanthropy. Peter Thiel is an entrepreneur, venture capitalist, and in the words of economist Tyler Cowen, "one of the most important public intellectuals of our time." Peter has spent his professional life in Silicon Valley. He helped found PayPal, was the first major outside investor in Facebook, and more recently, cofounded data security giant, Palantir, as well and the venture capital firm, Founders Fund.

While Peter has been one of the most successful architects of the Information Age, he's also been one of the most incisive critics. Peter argues that our technological imagination has been too modest, too content to fiddle on the margins when what we need are transformational breakthroughs. The country that brought the world the automobile, the skyscraper, the airplane, and the personal computer has become enamored with kitschy applications that facilitate things like take-out delivery, late-night car rides, and being able to tell your friends that you liked what they had for lunch [laughter]. These are no substitute for the pathbreaking, world-changing innovation that America needs. Peter has distilled his argument into a Tweet-sized maxim worthy of our age. "We wanted flying cars and settled for 140 characters." At first, I didn't understand that reference, perhaps because I'm banned from Twitter [laughter], not by Twitter but by my internal communications team [laughter]. True.

Peter understands, as we do at the Manhattan Institute, that robust innovation relies on a system of free enterprise. Like so many philanthropists and scholars in the room, Peter has committed himself to preserving the policy framework necessary for experimentation, growth, and most critically, America's reputation for unimpeded inquiry, which has historically driven our culture of innovation and must do so again if we're to meet the unique challenges of this century. A society that censors challenging ideas may well be headed on the path to suicide. For those of us with the means and courage to not just speak out against the intellectual mob but to actually build something superior in its place, there is great and urgent work to be done. Tonight, that means providing a forum for the challenging ideas of our 33rd Wriston lecturer. Ladies and gentlemen, please join me in welcoming Peter Thiel. [applause]

they're not wrong :thermidor:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 21, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Jabor posted:

learning a language (even, or perhaps especially, an ancient dead one) for its own sake is cool and good.

doing it solely because you think it will help with learning other languages later is dumb as heck.

Who was talking about "solely"? Learning Latin is cool & good and it will also help you with other Romance languages. Both reasons can coexist!

animist
Aug 28, 2018
just learn spanish imo

alternatively, PIE

*tuH ksūlom dus

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr.Radar posted:

they're not wrong :thermidor:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Jabor posted:

look at this scrub who doesn't have to recite liturgy in a dead language

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

if you wanna learn a language just learn it imo u don't need to learn it's ancient predecessor

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

spqr0a1 16 minutes ago [-]

Light bulbs are a bad example of the dangers of cartels. Incandescent filaments are much more efficient at higher temperature but burn out quicker. In the common case, savings from reduced electricity cost more than offset the increased replacement rate for bulbs in accessible fixtures.
Short-lived bulbs were good the customers. In a market with perfect information people would have chosen them on their own. Unfortunately of 3 categories of information needed for an informed decision (lifetime, power usage, and light output) purchasers only had a good measure of how often they replaced bulbs. Usage patterns are too complex for improvements in a single bulb to be obvious on a power bill, and human brightness perception is roughly logarithmic so it’s not visually obvious how much brighter different bulbs are.
Whether it was motivated by greed or not, the Phoebus cartel is an example of big business successfully advocating for the interests of the general public in the presence of information asymmetry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb#Light_...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

holy poo poo spqr0a1 who the gently caress cares