Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The one thing I wish the game had but doesn't seem to at all is more music when you're out in the open world. I finished the game and now that I've sat through the finale the gameworld feels like of sterile and dull without something nice playing over the sky. Red Dead Redemption 2 had the same problem. Breath of the Wild had some nice calming tunes for when you're wandering around and I really wish this did too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Avynte posted:

iirc, there was like one line mentioning how he used it as a totem / connection to Amelie's Beach so he could channel all the cool powers better and serve her EE agenda.

Also, Die-Hardman had one of those dolls, which is what allowed him to travel to Amelie's Beach.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm getting Psycho mantis and Sorrow vibes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Raptor1033 posted:

Edit: of course that's the dude locked away in that ballsack shaped blank area, of course

true story, the game wanted me to bring mamas body to heartmans lab and I thought "allright, but first I'm gonna check out that heart shaped lake with a big structure near it. been wondering about it for a while. So I set out for just my own enjoyment without any cargo and as I crossed the peak of the mountain and looked down at the lake I was like. "Wait, heart shaped lake. gently caress!"

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thundercracker posted:

Ahh, totally forgot about that bit. A lot was happening during the end exposition dumps.

Another question: Did they ever explain why the Timefall was happening? It just seems disconnected to the other aspects of the Death Stranding.

I don't think so? Someone correct me if I missed a line tucked away somewhere though.

My best guess is because the sky is covered in Chiral crystal infused clouds covering the world, they somehow impart their time manipulating properties to the rain. As to why the sky is a solid blanket of Chiral clouds? The death stranding? v:shobon:v

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Avynte posted:

I don't think so? Someone correct me if I missed a line tucked away somewhere though.

My best guess is because the sky is covered in Chiral crystal infused clouds covering the world, they somehow impart their time manipulating properties to the rain. As to why the sky is a solid blanket of Chiral clouds? The death stranding? v:shobon:v

Yeah, I think the explanation is just "chiralium contamination in the air". Burning bodies appears to release chiralium into the atmosphere for unexplained reasons, which is why they go through all the effort of using incinerators way up in the mountains instead of burning them in the middle of cities.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pierson posted:

The one thing I wish the game had but doesn't seem to at all is more music when you're out in the open world. I finished the game and now that I've sat through the finale the gameworld feels like of sterile and dull without something nice playing over the sky. Red Dead Redemption 2 had the same problem. Breath of the Wild had some nice calming tunes for when you're wandering around and I really wish this did too.

At the very least it'd be nice to be able to use the music player for the licensed stuff like MGS V. Low Roar and the others do really fit the atmosphere well.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mokinokaro posted:

At the very least it'd be nice to be able to use the music player for the licensed stuff like MGS V. Low Roar and the others do really fit the atmosphere well.

It makes for nice email and interview reading while in the private room at least.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think "sterile" would be a good way of describing the intended world in game since most of everyone is dead as hell and everyone still alive is in bunkers with few exceptions

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
When were you in the game when you realized Die-Hardman was best boy?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Gologle posted:

when I realized that the out of focus black dude in Sam’s flashback was Die-Hardman. Also his “I don’t have super powers” but was endearing. Furthermore, the facial capture he did with his emotional speech to Sam was on point

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I really want a Fallout-style radio station to fill some of the time when I'm doing almost nothing but running through a wasteland and checking my map every thirty seconds. I did the pizza delivery with the champagne from Timefall Farm last night, and the silence really started to wear on me after the first ten minutes or so. I only have roads from Lake Knot City to the Lake Knot distribution center, so it took me about twenty-five minutes to run the whole way. (Stopped paying attention and stumbled into a rock during the last five minutes. I delivered it with 5% champagne damage because I just couldn't redo the whole thing. :()

Of course, you can't build the kind of atmosphere Kojima did if you've got upbeat 50s music playing all the time, and you'd completely lose those bits where you crest the top of the hill and see your destination up ahead and Low Roar starts playing.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Holy moly I just looted like 4k special alloys from a bandit camp. Am I EVER going to need this much? I was honestly hoping it was gonna be metals. I don't know who said the combat sucks, I'm enjoying capping fools now

Oh, and is there any way of topping up on ammo besides resting?

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 20, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Raptor1033 posted:

Holy moly I just looted like 4k special alloys from a bandit camp. Am I EVER going to need this much? I was honestly hoping it was gonna be metals. I don't know who said the combat sucks, I'm enjoying capping fools now

Nope, it's either sleep or fabricate another gun.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Avynte posted:

It's in an email from Heartman.

Timefall happens when chiral clouds mix with gamma radiation generated by lightning strikes.... or something like that. And it causes a distortion in space time.

American McGay posted:

It's one of those ominous looking baby dolls you see constantly around Cliff's character. It's never really explained how or why or what sort of benefits having that in his pod provided, just that it wasn't a real BB in there.

The plastic doll seems to be Amelie's "connection" item to other characters. As mentioned it's in Higgs pod as a way to channel her powers. Die Hardman uses it to get to her beach. They're also around Cliff on his beach, which is probably how he can control BT's, like Higgs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Timefall happens because God is crying Probably because of something you did

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Timefall happens because God is crying Probably because of something you did

I dropped a pizza once.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I convinced Konami to focus on pachinko.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Romes128 posted:

It's in an email from Heartman.

Timefall happens when chiral clouds mix with gamma radiation generated by lightning strikes.... or something like that. And it causes a distortion in space time.

Kojima's brain is truly broke after Peace Walker MGS4.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Kojima's brain is truly broke after Peace Walker MGS4.

Speaking of. There was chat earlier in the thread about the writer. And Kojima actually is one of three writers in the game according to the end credits. Just that one guys name shows up as the writer in the beginning credits.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gologle posted:

Those last couple hours elicited the most sincere :hai:

Maybe it's the point, but I was sad it took all the way to the very end of the game for them to let him bust out his acting chops. Having him not show emotion until ~the mask is off~ makes sense but oh well. That final reveal of Bridget holding his hand to pull the trigger cemented my appreciation of the character.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Romes128 posted:

Speaking of. There was chat earlier in the thread about the writer. And Kojima actually is one of three writers in the game according to the end credits. Just that one guys name shows up as the writer in the beginning credits.

It actually lists Kojima as a writer in the beginning credits too but it's easier to miss.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Steve Yun posted:

I don’t recall a cutscene either so I figure he just decided to out of the blue.

I actually prefer it that way. I want more story unfurling during gameplay and less in cutscenes

To be honest I think it is a story element, the weird animations in the room like when BB bursts out or becomes Deadman's face, the heartman BT that grabs your feet, etc are all in universe. The game repeats over and over that chiral exposure makes you hallucinate and dooms sufferers have it worse. The Geologist / paleontologist talks about being grateful to get medicine from you before he got to the suicidal phase.

I think his sudden naming of BB as lou is missed by him and the other characters. Sam is a little insane and a complete emotional recluse, he has the personality of a stereotype of a homeless person in modern day.

Maybe it's an artifact of the game's development, cutting a scene to highlight him naming the BB, without going back and re editing other scenes, but it works just fine in the narrative and character as is. When you lose BB for a chapter he regularly still talks to it, sometimes realizing too late that BB is no longer there. It's the first connection he's had to someone and he's mentally unstable.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Raptor1033 posted:

If you are going for the Plat you need to do poo poo like upgrade everything to level 3 at least once and some things need an asston of alloys.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Has anyone figured out if lethal vs non lethal actually matters at all? Does it actually do anything in the game, prevent a trophy? Anything?

Also die hard man says to get rid of the bodies but afaik that isn’t even possible.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

veni veni veni posted:

Has anyone figured out if lethal vs non lethal actually matters at all? Does it actually do anything in the game, prevent a trophy? Anything?

Also die hard man says to get rid of the bodies but afaik that isn’t even possible.

whatever you do, do not go lethal

both maps have an incinerator. you have to take them there before they necro and trigger a voidout

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

veni veni veni posted:

lol please report back on what happens

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think much of anything actually happens. The game claims it will cause more BTs which I haven't ever actually noticed. I think every corpse has like a 2% chance of eventually causing a voidout which just triggers a game over and a soft reset.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do you even bring them to the incinerator? You can’t pick up bodies or anything.

What actually happens if you trigger a void out? Now I kind of want to try haha.

I only killed one guy and then reloaded my game so I haven’t actually seen any of that.

Edit:

American McGay posted:

I don't think much of anything actually happens. The game claims it will cause more BTs which I haven't ever actually noticed. I think every corpse has like a 2% chance of eventually causing a voidout which just triggers a game over and a soft reset.

Oh that’s not very cool then meh.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

How do you even bring them to the incinerator? You can’t pick up bodies or anything.

What actually happens if you trigger a void out? Now I kind of want to try haha.

I only killed one guy and then reloaded my game so I haven’t actually seen any of that.

Edit:

Oh that’s not very cool then meh.

I killed some mules and deadman called me a bit after and said I need to dispose of the bodies and he marked them on the map. I eventually got a game over cause of the void out.

I’m assuming after you get that call the bodies are wrapped up for transport. I didn’t check.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If they could send another porter to wrap up the body...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They're wrapped up but you have to carry them on your back, to the exclusion of nearly everything else.

The incinerators are kind of distant from the rest of the game's places so you have to carry a dead body for 2-3km+ and the terrain is not exactly conducive to driving

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can stuff the bodies in a truck and I wanna say there's a road you can build that goes right up to the incinerator.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FAUXTON posted:

They're wrapped up but you have to carry them on your back, to the exclusion of nearly everything else.

The incinerators are kind of distant from the rest of the game's places so you have to carry a dead body for 2-3km+ and the terrain is not exactly conducive to driving

The one in the central map has the road go right past it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If they could send another porter to wrap up the body...

They're a ticking timebomb, and it's a job normally handled by a specific team of Bridges (CDT - Corpse Disposal Transport). Getting a random porter to bag the body and not just run like hell before they go BT is about the best you can hope for.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 20, 2019

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Supposedly there's a slightly different repatriation cutscene if you cause a Mule/Terrorist voidout

I got my stations to all five stars tonight. Just memory chips and timed missions to go for platinum...

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

You can drop them in tar too, according to the badly acted junk dealers girlfriend.

And there’s an incinerator to the west of the craftsman, right off a road.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How does everyone know Sam is a repatriate at the beginning? How does everyone know repatriates exist at all unless there have been some documented cases already. Are there any rules for repatriating? Like it seems you can be vaporized and you get to come back with all your vaporized gear?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shaocaholica posted:

How does everyone know Sam is a repatriate at the beginning? How does everyone know repatriates exist at all unless there have been some documented cases already. Are there any rules for repatriating? Like it seems you can be vaporized and you get to come back with all your vaporized gear?

His pregnant wife died in the middle of a town and he was the only one left in the resulting void-out crater.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Neddy Seagoon posted:

His pregnant wife died in the middle of a town and he was the only one left in the resulting void-out crater.

So Sam is the one and only documented repatriate? But del toro talks about it as it there are others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Repatriate stuff: there's definitely more than one Repatriate--it's explicitly mentioned in the "Repatriates and Voidouts" interview. I do not know if any others are mentioned by name, though. Seems ripe for a sequel or spinoff!