Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Fancy Hat posted:

9/11 happened and it fundamentally destroyed the brains of every American over the age of 55.

The pro wrestling company WCW died.

I think that's about it? Make sure he knows about airport security I guess?

These are all extremely important and bear repeating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also let him know that they made a third season of twin peaks

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Clowner posted:

Also let him know that they made a third season of twin peaks

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

My brother has spent the last 20 years in the US prison system. Today is the day, after many long years, they he is finally out on good behavior. My mother picked him up at 7:30 AM across the state border and is driving him to his probation office then coming home. My little brother and his wife, and myself all took half days at work and in few hours we’ll all be sitting down together for lunch for the first time since we were little kids.

So GBS: how do I catch my brother up to speed? He’s been in jail since before cell phones and email were things everyone had. He’s never seen an electric car, never seen a non-Tobey Macguire Spider-Man movie, basically the entire planet has radically changed in the last 20 years and we basically have no idea what to do.

So the next few days are gonna be wild, and emotional, but mostly lots of love and happiness now that my mom finally has her last big ‘ol baby back.

My brother has expressed interest in starting a podcast about reintegrating into society and getting caught up on things, and so we’re gonna start working on a script for that this weekend, but mostly it’s gonna be a lot of eating and hanging out on the beach.

GBS: what important updates to Earth and society would you like me to teach my brother about? He’s a 43 year old man whose missed the last 20 years of his life. If you were in my position what would you consider “must-have” information? Any pinnacle movies/TV/music/books you think he should absorb?

Please let this thread be a place to discuss any related topics, such as your own prison stories, things you’d like me to ask him, suggestions for things we should catch him up on, whatever.

Finally if anyone has interest in the potential podcast, please let me know here or in PMs. My brother hasn’t really been doing a lot for 20 years besides reading and lifting weights and studying to be a Meineke technician and a welder, so he has a very unique insight into lots of things, and I’m excited to explore the lens of 2019 and beyond through the eyes of someone whose view of the world was frozen in 1999.

(To head off a potential derail, he was in prison for a murder that he did commit and was convicted for, but it was self-defense and gang-related. He isn’t that kind of person anymore and we’re giving him a loving and safe environment without any of that negativity, and he’s absolutely stoked to come home and live a nice normal life.)

Don’t waste your time, he’ll be back in prison within a year.

I’m not trying to be a dick, and I really hope i’m wrong.

But doing that much time, and how the parole system sets people up to fail, he’s more likely to go back.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018

ChocNitty posted:

But doing that much time, and how the parole system sets people up to fail, he’s more likely to go back.

Recidivism is a bitch.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yes, better to give up on him now so he's even more likely to go back.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

ChocNitty posted:

I’m not trying to be a dick

Well, rest assured that you're doing a great job without trying!

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
I'm a sheltered 27 year old that's never so much as thrown a punch in my life, ask me all about how the crimes are always gonna draw you back in, maaaaaan.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Well, rest assured that you're doing a great job without trying!

Ebeneezer Splooge
Nov 2, 2018

Reallycoolname posted:

I'm a sheltered 27 year old that's never so much as thrown a punch in my life, ask me all about how the crimes are always gonna draw you back in, maaaaaan.

recidivism Wiki

Unironically yes, crime is a hard lifestyle to escape once you've been arrested for a variety of reasons.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

There are ways of saying it that aren't jerktastic, was my point.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I too, have never seen a non-Tobey McGuire Spider Man movie.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
From what this thread has shown me his brother has an incredible support network now that he's out that a huge amount of ex cons just don't get, which I would imagine would very much help him to not reoffend.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Aphex- posted:

From what this thread has shown me his brother has an incredible support network now that he's out that a huge amount of ex cons just don't get, which I would imagine would very much help him to not reoffend.

And like an endless stream of willing pussy. Hell I'd do a stint in prison just for that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ChocNitty posted:

LoL I went to school for Social Work and have been working with the prison population for at least 5 years before I moved down here. I know what recidivism is and how to cope with it, in fact a lot of people suspect I went to school for this BECAUSE of my brother.

Edit: I’m not gonna be a jerk just because someone tries to poo poo in my cereal bowl, this goon is a shitposter trying to get a rise out of me and caught me early before my coffee.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 19, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ChocNitty posted:

Let's do an experiment, put this guy on probation and see what happens.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
ChocNitty? More like ChocShitty

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

That Works posted:

They sound very certain, so maybe they should :toxx: on it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL I went to school for Social Work and have been working with the prison population for at least 5 years before I moved down here. I know what recidivism is and how to cope with it, in fact a lot of people suspect I went to school for this BECAUSE of my brother.

I’m sorry you’re life is so empty that you felt like the best way to spend your time was to try to bum us out. You probably don’t have anyone who loves you as much as I love my brother, and I hope you find peace trying to shitpost in happy threads, since you’re clearly a dweeb whose life is a dumpster.

Every time you post it becomes more and more apparent that you know what you're doing and this post makes it clear why. Your brother is a lucky son of a bitch to have you looking out for him. The road ahead won't be easy, but I'm sure he'll be fine, with your help and support.

Keep us updated and post more stories. I'm enjoying this thread immensely.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ebeneezer Splooge posted:

recidivism Wiki

Unironically yes, crime is a hard lifestyle to escape once you've been arrested for a variety of reasons.

Ah yes the extremely relevant data from 1994 :lol:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

It's not like the dude is in the same boat as people who get tossed back onto the streets and reoffend because they have no support in the outside world and only know how to take care of themselves in jail. He's not Charles loving Manson, or even Taystee from Orange is the New Black (which isn't exactly realistic, anyways.) He has a home, people to spend time with, things to do, people to help him out, and soon a dog!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Did you introduce him to the most important development since 1999: GARFIELD MEMES?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

track down whoever snitched, then... well... you know. just don't bring him along, cuz you gotta prove that goon with his horseshit recividism graph wrong.

show'em afterwards though, closure on that chapter of his life is important.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Recidivism is so high because:

-on a federal level the system is constructed to deny ex-cons access to basic services

-the legality of “the box” (the part of job applications that allows you to ask if someone has ever been convicted of a felony)

-the prison industrial complex we have constructed is, by design, for keeping people inside as long as possible with literally no oversight. This is the main reason not to vote for Kamala Harris, IMO, she has frequently voted against industrial prison reform and wants to keep slave labor legal in this country.

-racism (doesn’t effect us because my brother is lily white and I’m mixed enough that I only look ethnic when I’m standing next to other minorities)

-restitutions can be backbreaking when you’re released depending on how lovely your PO is. Some POs help you manage it, some will be like “you just got out of prison and have 9-15 months to pay 8K in damages to the victims families and if you don’t you go back to jail”

-classism (absolutely does impact us because we are extremely poor)

So let’s say your an ex-con with a felony charge and you get out at 25 or 30 after 5 years.

-you have no resume
-every job will see the check mark in the felony box and throw your application in the trash without reading it
-you do not qualify for mental health care or work assistance simply for being an ex-con. My mother was so CERTAIN that my brother would qualify for disability assistance because he was locked up for so long, and despite me explaining it like 4 times she still took him down to the office and after 3 hours of waiting they called her back to tell her “yeah I mean while he has been locked in a literal cage surrounded by violent animals assaulting each other constantly, we don’t believe that impacts your mental health or stability in any appreciable way that would impact his ability to find a job”

So now even if you’re lucky and have a place to live (not everyone has a family to come home to) finding a job without social service assistance is basically impossible unless you were lucky enough to receive some vocational training inside for something you can legally do. Remember the wildfires in California? The state spent literal millions training inmates to help fight fires, but those men and women CANNOT be fire fighters when they get out of prison, despite the state literally teaching them to.

You are free and clear, but have no money, no job, no prospects, no resources, and the system that caged you and wanted to keep you forever was finally forced to let you go and is now patiently waiting behind you like an alligator with its mouth open waiting for you trip.

So what do you do if you’re broke, desperate, alone, and have no work experience outside of crimes? You crime some more.

That’s recidivism. It’s not because men and women are predisposed to being criminals or because the people in prison are hardwired to break the law, it’s because once you’ve been institutionalized in the penal system, it’s designed to keep you there forever.

Never forget that prisoners are a PRODUCT that are bought and sold and traded by corporations, used for slave labor and giant tax cuts for the people who own the buildings they are locked in.

What I’m saying, basically, is gently caress the system and America is Hell.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Bust Rodd posted:

What I'm saying, basically, is gently caress the system and America is Hell.

Word.

Seriously good on you for being there for him. Rooting for you both that things stabilize and good family times are ahead.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Recidivism is so high because:

-on a federal level the system is constructed to deny ex-cons access to basic services

-the legality of “the box” (the part of job applications that allows you to ask if someone has ever been convicted of a felony)

This honestly always pissed me off. Yes, here's a man told by society to find a better way from crime and to 'get his life together', so let's deny him every chance he has at even the most basic paying minimum wage jobs so they're eternally walled from reintegrating into society in a healthy way. Crime starts looking real nice when you're fighting homelessness, extreme poverty and dont want to loving starve in an alley.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Ritznit posted:

Seriously good on you for being there for him. Rooting for you both that things stabilize and good family times are ahead.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ebeneezer Splooge posted:

recidivism Wiki

This is because they shove people out the prison with no support network. Since goons bro has family (and actually in demand skills, welding is big business right now) he’ll likely be fine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That Works posted:

ChocNitty posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:toot:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The term “wipwop” seems extremely racist OP

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Bust Rodd posted:

What I’m saying, basically, is gently caress the system and America is Hell.

This is a good post and you're an incredibly good dude for doing this for your brother.

The way we treat prisoners in America is disgusting and like you said, gently caress Kamala, I hope we get some meaningful reform in the system soon.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Quoting because this is a good as hell post. The American prison system is awful, and I can't believe we made our prisons for-profit too.

I'm glad your brother has the support network he does. Keep up the good work Bust Rodd. I'm rooting for your brother.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I just want to say that this post is opening my eyes on how much things we take for granted without ever thingking about it until something like this happens.

Something as "normal" as seeing animals or petting one is something some one else will cherrish a lot.

OP I'm glad you and your family are there for your brother. I have not been in a situation like this but when my dad went through rehab family was what kept him in the right path.

I will like to see what your brother thinks from some one else question. If he felt like he was in a "rehab" place or if he just felt they had him in there as a slave, specially after you defined the American Prision System so good.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

bird with big dick posted:

The term “wipwop” seems extremely racist OP

did you even google it because i dont see anything that implies it's related to race at all

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don’t need to google it I was the only wipwop in an all white school I got called a wipwop every day

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Fwiw there are a shitload of big companies that hire felons. Hopefully he already has these resources, but if not -- https://helpforfelons.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Companies-That-Hire-Felons-List.pdf https://exoffenders.net/employment-jobs-for-felons/ etc. etc.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

bird with big dick posted:

I don’t need to google it I was the only wipwop in an all white school I got called a wipwop every day

It's an Italian slur right?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“Wop” is a slur for Italians, wipwop is old South Boston slang for side hustle, sorry about that lol

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 20, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Parrotine posted:

This honestly always pissed me off. Yes, here's a man told by society to find a better way from crime and to 'get his life together', so let's deny him every chance he has at even the most basic paying minimum wage jobs so they're eternally walled from reintegrating into society in a healthy way. Crime starts looking real nice when you're fighting homelessness, extreme poverty and dont want to loving starve in an alley.

It's hosed. You served the punishment that society declared you should receive. That should be the end of it. Once you're out, you're out and the same as everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Grand Fromage posted:

It's hosed. You served the punishment that society declared you should receive. That should be the end of it. Once you're out, you're out and the same as everyone else.

you know I want to quote this and make a joke of some kind, at the expense of our awful society, but I can't, this is one of those subjects that really angers me

we use prison as a permanent way to mark people as inferior and excluded from society, via things like the box and denying them the after-support that people who've been through American prison need to re-integrate, almost guaranteeing they'll be in the system for the rest of their lives, away from their families and any kind of chance to turn things around

meanwhile the people who have destroyed lives on a global scale continue on without any sort of meaningful punishment at all, because that's capitalism, baby!