Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

IIRC the 2+1 means that the 3.5 housing is built for 2 drives but it also has space and mounting holes on the top of the cage that you can add another drive there as well. You might be better served with many other cases though, the 510i requires you to screw the drives directly into the cage instead of using sleds, so HDD noise an installation are both worse than other similar cases.

Thanks..I can't believe how pricey cases have gotten. I still have an Antec Sonata II I got 10 years ago for $99 with a 350w PSU. Has all the trimmings and piano black paint. If the thing had 3.0 headers I'd just reuse it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

charity rereg posted:

Case is very much up to you, read up on the OP and if you have specific questions/ports/needs/form factor let us know.

A case that intended to lay horizontal instead of vertical would be nice due to the layout of my desk. Something matte black to match the aesthetics of the existing Lenovo equipment would also be a plus, but certainly not a dealbreaker. I can’t see needing any special/extra ports beyond the standard stuff to connect the keyboard, display, etc.

Thanks for the parts list!

whydirt fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 19, 2019

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Is there a good article to read somewhere on the relative differences between the 2060S, the 2070, and the RX5700?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hey guys, I'm looking to piece together a new PC, keeping the GPU and case. I mainly use it for web browsing and gaming at 1440p.
My monitor is a 144Hz one, but I grew up on N64's terrible framerate and that poisoned my brain to the point where as long as it's over 50ish fps and there's no tearing, I'm happy. And I'm perfectly fine with turning down some settings.

My current build is (from 2012):
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570
Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-V
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600
PSU: Cooler Master 650W
SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
Bulk storage: Toshiba 4 TB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Case: Fractal Design Define R4

Here's what I'm thinking of getting:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (€191)
Cooler: Gelid Phantom Black (I prefer my PC to be on the quiet side and it's only €30)
Motherboard: :iiam:
RAM: 16 GB of either 3200MHz or 3600MHz depending on price/perf.
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 550 Gold? (€81)
SSD: 1TB Kingston A2000 (€123; only €10 more than similarly sized Crucial MX500 or Intel 660p)
Bulk storage: Keeping the Toshiba 4 TB because it's pretty new.
GPU: Keeping the Nvidia GTX 1070
Case: Keeping the Define R4

What I'm really looking for is a recommendation for a motherboard, because I've been out of that game for 7 years now and gently caress if it isn't a jungle out there.
If anything, I'd like to never ever have to deal with VIA HD Audio ever again as long as I live. Also, even though my case is completely black, having less LEDs on the motherboard at all, or at least the ability to turn them off in BIOS without needing to install software will be greatly appreciated.
I also don't need wifi for a desktop computer, but won't mind if it's there. It'll just go unused.

Ideally I'd like for my total to be below €700, which leaves €275 for both motherboard and RAM. And hopefully Black Friday/Cyber Monday will cut down on costs a bit more, even if the deals are a bit less insane over here in The Netherlands.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

whydirt posted:

A case that intended to lay horizontal instead of vertical would be nice due to the layout of my desk. Something matte black to match the aesthetics of the existing Lenovo equipment would also be a plus, but certainly not a dealbreaker. I can’t see needing any special/extra ports beyond the standard stuff to connect the keyboard, display, etc.

Thanks for the parts list!

Is your existing PC a small form factor Lenovo, or is it just a standard size "mid tower" with a different orientation/layout? That matters quite a bit - the board recommended is a full size ATX board, but you'd want to switch to microATX, and very possibly a special "mini" version of the GPU.

If it's a small form factor prebuilt you may be even further limited. There aren't a lot of graphics card options that will fit in if the entire PC is about the same size as a PS4, but all hope isn't totally lost, there are small case options!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Edit: double phone post

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 19, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jinnigan posted:

Is there a good article to read somewhere on the relative differences between the 2060S, the 2070, and the RX5700?

It's not an article, but:

The 2060S and 2070 are essentially the same card. As in, they literally use the same core and have the same amount of buffer. The 2070's faster than the 2060S, but no more than ~5% (or less), which is more or less a 'margin of error' speed increase.

The RX 5700's ~10% slower than both of them (save in a few AMD-friendly games/benchmarks), and uses ~60W more power. Either one will 'do ya for a while' in anything up to/including UW 1440p.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

charity rereg posted:

Is your existing PC a small form factor Lenovo, or is it just a standard size "mid tower" with a different orientation/layout? That matters quite a bit - the board recommended is a full size ATX board, but you'd want to switch to microATX, and very possibly a special "mini" version of the GPU.

If it's a small form factor prebuilt you may be even further limited. There aren't a lot of graphics card options that will fit in if the entire PC is about the same size as a PS4, but all hope isn't totally lost, there are small case options!

Maybe I didn’t explain myself very well or maybe I don’t understand your post here! I don’t need to reuse the existing case in any way or specifically match its size (it is a midsized tower). I would just prefer the outside of the new case to have a similar matte black finish to the Lenovo keyboard and mouse, or least have a style the doesn’t clash horrendously.

I have the current Lenovo laying flat so we can keep our scanner/printer combo on top of it, so being able to do that with the new machine would be nice, but not a dealbreaker.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I'm looking into doing a new (Ryzen 3800X/3900Xish) build, and I'm having trouble finding a good selection of cases. Maybe YOU know of something better? I'm looking something small-ish form factor (MicroATX/Mini-ITX), that'll still fit:

• My existing EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2
  • My existing Corsair H100i cooler
  • Some kind of ODD bay, preferably the full 5.25" bluray burner I already have, but picking up a slim slot loader is an option. This is the kicker :(
  • DON'T need: 3.5" bays. Or 2.5" bays either really, but a spot to stick one might be a nice to have.

ATX PSU support is a plus since again I have a perfectly good one, but moving to SFX is an option. I don't necessarily need the most tiniest case but something squat and cube-ish fits best in my limited desk/room space. For reference, I currently have an old MicroATX revision of the Corsair 250D and it's just about perfect, except it's pretty worn down after several moves and the front USB ports are spotty.

I'm flexible on budget if it hits the marks and the quality is there. It's for gaming but not eXXXtreme OC so as long as the thermals are okayish that's fine.

Some ones I've looked at:

SilverStone RL08 - Looks good, but the tower shape isn't quite ideal. Could make it work if there's nothing else.
NCASE M1 - I love the look and layout. I don't really need something that small though, and getting new SFX PSU & BD adds like $300. Also, I don't know how to buy one?
Raijintek Styx - Checks off the boxes on paper but I've never heard of them before. No idea about the build quality. The position of the ODD slot isn't great

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Thermaltake Core v21 is a square box micro atx. But there doesn't seem to be many amazing matx motherboards.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Thermaltake Core v21 is a square box micro atx. But there doesn't seem to be many amazing matx motherboards.

As of x570 all the major board manufactures basically declared mATX a dead form factor so it's really just ATX or ITX going forward at this point (also EATX seems to also be getting more popular? :iiam:). I was pretty bummed when MSI discontinued the Mortar extremely early in its lifecycle as it seemed both popular and good value.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Mu Zeta posted:

Doesn't have any sort of ODD bay. This seems to eliminate 90% of SFF cases (and like 80% of regular cases these days - RIP). But I still use it just enough to where I'll bend over backward to not deal with having an external drive for as long as I can.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wut. Just get an external and put double sided tape on it and attach it to the top of the case.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The Milkman posted:

I'm looking into doing a new (Ryzen 3800X/3900Xish) build, and I'm having trouble finding a good selection of cases. Maybe YOU know of something better? I'm looking something small-ish form factor (MicroATX/Mini-ITX), that'll still fit:

They're pretty old at this point but the Bitfenix Prodigy and the BitFenix Colossus M should be able to house all the components you mentioned, if you can find them.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 2060S and 2070 are essentially the same card. As in, they literally use the same core and have the same amount of buffer. The 2070's faster than the 2060S, but no more than ~5% (or less), which is more or less a 'margin of error' speed increase.

The RX 5700's ~10% slower than both of them (save in a few AMD-friendly games/benchmarks), and uses ~60W more power. Either one will 'do ya for a while' in anything up to/including UW 1440p.

Dunno where you're getting that power figure from, all the benchmarks I can find show it having a similar to slightly lower power consumption. (Also a somewhat smaller performance delta in most games.)

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

The Milkman posted:

• Some kind of ODD bay, preferably the full 5.25" bluray burner I already have, but picking up a slim slot loader is an option. This is the kicker :(
  • DON'T need: 3.5" bays. Or 2.5" bays either really, but a spot to stick one might be a nice to have.

ATX PSU support is a plus since again I have a perfectly good one, but moving to SFX is an option. I don't necessarily need the most tiniest case but something squat and cube-ish fits best in my limited desk/room space. For reference, I currently have an old MicroATX revision of the Corsair 250D and it's just about perfect, except it's pretty worn down after several moves and the front USB ports are spotty.

I'm flexible on budget if it hits the marks and the quality is there. It's for gaming but not eXXXtreme OC so as long as the thermals are okayish that's fine.

SilverStone RL08 - Looks good, but the tower shape isn't quite ideal. Could make it work if there's nothing else.
NCASE M1 - I love the look and layout. I don't really need something that small though, and getting new SFX PSU & BD adds like $300. Also, I don't know how to buy one?
Raijintek Styx - Checks off the boxes on paper but I've never heard of them before. No idea about the build quality. The position of the ODD slot isn't great

Fractal design core 500 should tick all your boxes.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

whydirt posted:

Maybe I didn’t explain myself very well or maybe I don’t understand your post here! I don’t need to reuse the existing case in any way or specifically match its size (it is a midsized tower). I would just prefer the outside of the new case to have a similar matte black finish to the Lenovo keyboard and mouse, or least have a style the doesn’t clash horrendously.

I have the current Lenovo laying flat so we can keep our scanner/printer combo on top of it, so being able to do that with the new machine would be nice, but not a dealbreaker.

Phew, for a second I got the vibe that your pre-bought Lenovo was a small-form-factor. There used to be (not amazing, but better) some options in the SFF gaming space. There still are some, but they are at the low end, or you pay a stupid premium for something resembling a good video card, or paying a crazy premium for an ITX setup etc.

What about this case? https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cTQypg/corsair-case-200r No USB-C on the front but otherwise pretty plain.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 20, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ItBreathes posted:

Dunno where you're getting that power figure from, all the benchmarks I can find show it having a similar to slightly lower power consumption. (Also a somewhat smaller performance delta in most games.)

Checked the max TDP of the 5700 on a datasheet and saw it's 180W. If it doesn't hit that, okay, but that's what I saw.

I know the XT's TDP is over 200W so it seemed plausible.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Checked the max TDP of the 5700 on a datasheet and saw it's 180W. If it doesn't hit that, okay, but that's what I saw.

That's actually low: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx_5700-rx_5700_xt,6216-4.html

Power consumption jumps a bit under FurMark. However, our 182W average is still lower than AMD’s 185W board power specification.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Notably, the 2070 and 2060S have a tdp of 175w (and the 2060S is slightly above the 5700 on the chart on the linked page), so the 60w figure really stood out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

The Milkman posted:

That Raijintek does not look... right.

I think if you look through all the options you're going to find that the best fit for all your needs is indeed going to be a regular tower, either MicroATX or full sized, like the SilverStone RL08 you mention or if you don't want a weird upside-down motherboard, something like the inexpensive Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case which does indeed have room for both an H100i and an optical drive as long as your GPU isn't too long:

Mu Zeta posted:

The Milkman posted:

Doesn't have any sort of ODD bay. This seems to eliminate 90% of SFF cases (and like 80% of regular cases these days - RIP). But I still use it just enough to where I'll bend over backward to not deal with having an external drive for as long as I can.
Comedy Option: the Core v21 actually has a 5.25 bay cutout on the frame just above the fan, you just have to make a hole in the front cover for it!

(Don't do this, your GPU will block it anyway)

Real Option: Thermaltake makes a taller version of the Core v21, the Core x2, that is taller and allows you to use an optical drive while maintaining plenty of room for a 240mm radiator:

(But it's gigantic)

Incessant Excess posted:

They're pretty old at this point but the Bitfenix Prodigy and the BitFenix Colossus M should be able to house all the components you mentioned, if you can find them.
Unfortunately the Bitfenix Prodigy, while it does have room for 240mm radiators and does indeed have an optical drive mount, cannot use both at the same time, regardless of whether the radiator is mounted at the top or the front, there's just no room. Same goes for the Prodigy M/Colossus M, which has a hilarious inverted layout where both the radiator and GPU will interfere with the optical drive bay:

(Maybe if you use a smaller PSU and put the radiator in the bottom it's possible?)

Bryter posted:

Fractal design core 500 should tick all your boxes.
Unfortunately the Fractal design core 500 runs into the same problem as the Prodigy, where the radiator will block the drive bay. Same goes for all the shuttle style cases that still have optical drive bays, if they even have room for 240mm radiators in the first place.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 20, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Cooler Master also have a couple of recent mATX cases in the "standard" layout

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mini-tower/silencio-s400/
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mini-tower/masterbox-nr400-with-odd/

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Looking for a sense check and graphics suggestions. Stuff in italics have already been purchased.

What country are you in? Australia
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? The below plus up to a maximum of $1000 for a graphics card
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Currently a 24" 1080p monitor. Future upgrades would either probably an ultrawide/regular 16:9 of 1440p
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Ideally I just want to be able to play things smoothly (60fps+) on high or ultra for the next few years

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($514.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $47.24)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $310.25)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (Purchased For $160.00)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $205.00)

Storage: Silicon Power 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($178.00 @ Umart)
Case: Cougar MX330-X ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.63 @ Amazon Australia)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $174.00)
Total: $1682.12

Still undecided on the graphics card really. With the Black Friday sales coming up, options and estimated prices are after discounts/coupons:
Non reference 5700XT - $600 (Maybe less if it's something like the Evoke. Also not sure about the AMD driver situation since I've had bad experiences with that in the distant past)
Cheapo 2070 Super - $700
OC'd 2070 Super - $850
Cheapo 2080 Super - $1000 (will probably be slightly over)

Also any recommendations on quiet case fans? I'm looking at sticking 2 120mms in the front.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mu Zeta posted:

Wut. Just get an external and put double sided tape on it and attach it to the top of the case.

Good lord, please just do this and save yourself this madness.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm shopping for the list that charity rereg made for me and the graphics card seems to be on back order on Amazon, assuming I found the right item. Is this what I should be looking at (see link)?

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeF...74209409&sr=8-4

If so, is there an alternative on Amazon/Newegg I could order sooner?

edit: also having trouble finding the power supply on Newegg that matches the price/description from charity rereg's list.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 20, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

whydirt posted:

I'm shopping for the list that charity rereg made for me and the graphics card seems to be on back order on Amazon, assuming I found the right item. Is this what I should be looking at (see link)?

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeF...74209409&sr=8-4

If so, is there an alternative on Amazon/Newegg I could order sooner?

edit: also having trouble finding the power supply on Newegg that matches the price/description from charity rereg's list.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-rmx-series-rm650x-2018-cp-9020178-na-650w/p/N82E16817139232

The 1660 Super is a great price and they've been going in/out of stock all day :(

This one is in stock https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-gtx-1660-super-06g-p4-1066-kr/p/N82E16814487478

This one too https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=AS-D166S6E&c=CJ&cjevent=9a3a7b090b2f11ea825c057d0a24060c

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 20, 2019

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

The United States posted:

Unfortunately the Fractal design core 500 runs into the same problem as the Prodigy, where the radiator will block the drive bay. Same goes for all the shuttle style cases that still have optical drive bays, if they even have room for 240mm radiators in the first place.

I did wonder if that would be an issue before I posted, so I checked completed core 500 builds on pcpartpicker and there is a build which uses an H100i (V2, which I believe is thicker) along with an optical drive. Seems like it could be an issue for some AIOs, but not this specific one.

E: Bit tech review also says:

quote:

This is a fantastic achievement for such a small case, although you will likely loose the 5.25in bay and possibly even the rear fan as well depending on how large a radiator you plan to install. That said, we managed to slot in a Corsair H100i without needing to ditch the ODD cage.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 20, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

Babeltech has some good benchmark comparisons for the 5700 v 2060 v 2060s and 5700 XT v 2070 v 2070 Super. Keep in mind that these are mostly ultra/very high benchmarks, so you could boost performance a decent amount by turning down settings.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 5700 has a tdp of 180W but the 2060 Super is 160W and the 2070 is 175W. I'm not seeing where you're getting that the 5700 draws an extra 60W of power. They're all pretty close.

E: Anandtech and Guru3d both measured the 5700 as neck-in-neck with the 2060 super for total system consumption and the 5700 XT as neck-in-neck with the 2070 Super.

EE: I think I see it - the 5700 XT is +65W TDP over the 2060 Super (and the 2070 Super is + 55W). The non-XT is pretty close to equivalent. Performance/W is a slight edge to NVidia, but it's pretty darn close.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 20, 2019

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Most of the 5700 reviews/benchmarks I could find were done with the reference model, which tends to run pretty hot and doesn't have an efficient cooler and therefore might be a lil worse than the card could be. I was debating between these cards and I ended up going for the 5700 after seeing benchmarks of non-stock versions with the bios flashed. I realize that's sort of comparing an overclocked 5700 to a non-OC'd 2060/70S and isn't entirely fair (and also power consumption will go up a lot if you flash the bios), but given the price difference I ended up going with the 5700 to save a few bucks. As others have noted, without overclocking the 5700 uses roughly the same power as the 2060s. I'm building using a new-ish but somewhat low wattage PSU and a stock 5700 seems to hover in the 160w range based on the benchmarks I saw, with occasional spikes to 180ish.

I have a fan question:

When my parts get here in a few days I'll be putting a new mobo/Ryzen 3600/RX 5700 into this Cooler Master N200 case I have. I'd like to go for positive pressure if I can. The case supports 5 120mm fans: 2x in the front, 1x on the back, 1x on top, and 1x on the side door above the gpu. Could I do:

2x front intake | 1x side gpu intake | 1x rear exhaust?

I've always been lazy and just done an even number of intake/exhaust fans but I'm sick of dust, but I dunno if 3 intakes/1 exhaust is too much of a pressure difference. The front top fan is probably borderline useless anyway since it's blocked by the HDD drive bay (which I have a drive in) so I could ditch that I guess.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I’m probably going to be building a new pc here in Australia in the new year as my old one is slowly dying. Gaming / streaming poo poo I’ve downloaded is the big thing but as my old pc is dying I’ve been playing more games on PlayStation and I love sitting on the couch to play games. My PC will be in the same room as my tv.

What are the best solutions to run my pc easily to my tv? I’ve had poor experiences with steam link. Would it just be easier to run an hdmi cable? Is that bad for any reason?

Also what are some good wireless solutions for controllers? This sounds dumb but how do they know not to turn on your actual console?

Also what’s the best places to look for buying parts in Australia? I’m in Melbourne in the mid/ eastern suburbs so last time just went to msy in box hill.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Bryter posted:

I did wonder if that would be an issue before I posted, so I checked completed core 500 builds on pcpartpicker and there is a build which uses an H100i (V2, which I believe is thicker) along with an optical drive. Seems like it could be an issue for some AIOs, but not this specific one.

E: Bit tech review also says:
1. That pcpartpicker build uses a 120mm radiator in the rear, not a H100i, which is a 240mm radiator, in the top. The whole setup reminds me of those old Shuttle XPCs, just with a CLC instead of a custom heatpipe cooler.

2. The bit tech review says that they did not have to remove the drive cage, yes, but there is no room for an optical drive itself. Maybe if you created your own custom cutout you could slip in a slim laptop drive, but it looks awfully tight.

Snow Fire
Oct 29, 2011

teacup posted:

I’m probably going to be building a new pc here in Australia in the new year as my old one is slowly dying. Gaming / streaming poo poo I’ve downloaded is the big thing but as my old pc is dying I’ve been playing more games on PlayStation and I love sitting on the couch to play games. My PC will be in the same room as my tv.

What are the best solutions to run my pc easily to my tv? I’ve had poor experiences with steam link. Would it just be easier to run an hdmi cable? Is that bad for any reason?

Also what are some good wireless solutions for controllers? This sounds dumb but how do they know not to turn on your actual console?

Also what’s the best places to look for buying parts in Australia? I’m in Melbourne in the mid/ eastern suburbs so last time just went to msy in box hill.

#1: If the distance is less than 15 meters, than yeah, just get a trusted HDMI cable that's rated for the resolution/hertz of the display and connect a to b~

#2: Assuming you're using a modern controller, they use Bluetooth, so get a motherboard with wifi/bt included and you'll be set. Controllers only work with what they were last sync'd to, so as long as it's sync'd to a PC, it won't power on the console~

#3: Can't help you there, I live not in Australia~

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

teacup posted:

Check ebay sales and coupons.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

charity rereg posted:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $117.68 (Amazon)
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 (Amazon)
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $60.99 (Newegg)
Team L5 LITE 3D 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $82.99 (Amazon)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super OC 6G Graphics Card $239.99 (Amazon)
Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 (Amazon)
Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $75 (Newegg)

Just noticed the absence of a network adapter; is that something I need to pick up?

whydirt fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 20, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

whydirt posted:

Just noticed the absence of a network adapter; is that something I need to add?

Nope, the motherboard has built in 10/100/1000 Ethernet, but does not have WiFi, so you would need to add a small USB adapter if you want.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Good to know, thanks!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The USB adapters apparently suck. You can get a good wifi/bt pcie card for around $30. I opted to just buy a mobo with wifi built in.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

The USB adapters apparently suck. You can get a good wifi/bt pcie card for around $30. I opted to just buy a mobo with wifi built in.

Yeah if you're building the PC you should go "native", but tbh can't say I've ever really had trouble with the adapters. My wife's laptop's wifi is broken and she's used the same $14 tiny amazon one for years.

Where my gaming pc is now it was a really huge pain to wire for ethernet, so I tried literally every other solution including built in motherboard wifi - didn't find it any better, still got slight packet loss that made gaming impossible.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

The United States posted:

1. That pcpartpicker build uses a 120mm radiator in the rear, not a H100i, which is a 240mm radiator, in the top. The whole setup reminds me of those old Shuttle XPCs, just with a CLC instead of a custom heatpipe cooler.

2. The bit tech review says that they did not have to remove the drive cage, yes, but there is no room for an optical drive itself. Maybe if you created your own custom cutout you could slip in a slim laptop drive, but it looks awfully tight.

Oh my mistake I looked at the spec list the guy on pcpp gave, didn't check the pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
If I have a 2k Monitor I'm pretty much going to have to go for a GTX RTX 2000 series or can something like the GTX 1660 Super series handle it fairly well?