Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
There are other mech suits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Rynoto posted:

One of the newer lab finales is a pilotable combat mech :swoon:

There are a few different mech suits, including a construction one that you can use to push vehicles around (And I think counts as having a really high lifting score.)

They're basically horses, code wise.

I assume everyone knows about that particular advancement, right?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

There are a few different mech suits, including a construction one that you can use to push vehicles around (And I think counts as having a really high lifting score.)

They're basically horses, code wise.

I assume everyone knows about that particular advancement, right?

:justpost: :posthaste:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, I should compile a list of things that have changed. Anyways, horses.

And other animals.

You can find horses now. They can be tamed with cattle fodder. If your survival is 3 or more you can ride them bareback. If not you can put a saddle on them. You can also put saddlebags on them and they will carry stuff. You can fight while mounted on them, although they tend to take damage before you do from zombies.

They will heal over time, and you can put horse armor on them. There is also armor for dogs.

This all works pretty well now. The best thing is though is that you can find a yoke. You can put yokes on vehicles and then lead a horse to the yoke and the horse will become the motor of the vehicle. Can't find gas? No problem saw the front off that car and yoke a good steed to it.

This integrates with npcs (Which while still being dumb sometimes are light years better than they were even a year ago.) Get extra horses and you can order your buddies to mount up.

Speaking of NPC's they're actually useful now, even outside of the expanded camp building. You can designate activity zones and they will perform tasks in those zones when asked. You can have them fell forests while your away, or catch fish to feed your group. They can take cars apart, and repair cars. The zone manager (Shift-Y I believe) is super useful. You can designate activity zones, and also interact with loot zones in there. I keep my base as an unsorted loot zone, and then put all my equipment and food in neat piles. You can make custom filters, so rotten food and trash gets moved to the fireplace for burning, and batteries automatically get sorted into the recharging station. This works with vehicles. You can make the trunk of your car an unsorted loot zone, fill it with loot, then drive home and ask your npc to sort for you and then go craft or cook while they empty your trunk out. It integrates with vehicles too, so you can keep your fridges full of perishables.

These things save a lot of tedious button presses. I remember back when goon days ahead was a thing, before it got integrated for the most part, having to spend a lot of key presses just repeating basic tasks (and firing at the ground to raise archery.) now you can sort your loot with one press once the zones are set, and firing targets exist that you can practice your skill on and you'll auto snap targeting on them.

I play this game way more than I should, and a lot has changed, so if anyone has any questions about any of the new systems just ask and I'll answer eventually.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The auto-sort loot zone feature is probably the single biggest quality of life change I've seen since I started playing a few years back. Absolute game changer.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I got this weird urge to play this game again for the first time in years. Reading the last few pages and it sounds kinda like maybe I should stick to my old copy from 2015? Seems like its gotten even worse at taking away all the fun for "Realism".

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I’m having fun with the build from ~20 days ago with the simplified nutrition mod.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I got this weird urge to play this game again for the first time in years. Reading the last few pages and it sounds kinda like maybe I should stick to my old copy from 2015? Seems like its gotten even worse at taking away all the fun for "Realism".
It's pretty much the same cross-section as we've gotten with every CDDA update for many years:
1. New features that are badly imagined/badly implemented. Examples: Melee stamina nerfs/rebalances, filthy clothing.
2. Half-finished systems whose current implementation serves mostly as a step back. Examples: digestion, nutrition, changes in the way 'health' and healing are handled.
3. Finished systems which now change the game over their previous long-standing half-finished versions (a change which some may like and others may not). Examples: batteries are no longer a consumable powder you pour into devices, guns have 'fouling' but don't really get damaged from use or misfiring anymore, food spoilage rebalanced.
4. More polish to existing systems. Examples: massively retooled city and road generation, crafting can be resumed properly and loses fewer materials, NPCs are much better.
5. A horde of new content in general. Examples: Mechs, player-made NPC encampments, horses you can ride.
6. Bunch of cool new mods. Examples: Magiclysm, an assortment that can entirely turn off more questionable new features.
7. Tons of significant quality of life and interface improvements. Examples: most interface windows are cleaner and more informative, you can auto-sort loot when you drop it off, NPCs can run anything from farms to chop-shops via zoning, fridges take a fraction of the power they used to.

It's up to you how significant each of these factors is in your enjoyment of the game, so balance it out to your own preferences. Some systems you may get used to or even come to like over time, others may be a dealbreaker. But ultimately it's the same sort of thing we've been seeing for a long time, and as much as it feels like a cop-out to say, there's both good and bad in there.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The crafting/workbench update is good IMO except the vehicle workbench has a volume limit of 30L which is a pain in the rear end when you are building large storage batteries.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Any mods you'd suggest to get rid of various stupid "Fun Tax" things like this dirtiness system? Or mods in general?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

There is a stock mod to get rid of filthy clothing but cleaning isn’t too bad either, you can find soap or detergent in most houses in multiples of 10 or 20 and 1 unit cleans 4 patches.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
What's the deal with the tilesets on the latest experimental builds? They seem uh, super awful lookng - especially on larger monitors - and limited in options(no multiple sizes, for example) compared to the stable.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Marcus Garvey posted:

What's the deal with the tilesets on the latest experimental builds? They seem uh, super awful lookng - especially on larger monitors - and limited in options(no multiple sizes, for example) compared to the stable.

Phone posting so no link, but one of the tile set artists stole from Minecraft (?) and so the current maintainer is being super careful.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

However the original tileset maker(Dead People) is still updating, so I would suggest using that one.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Peachfart posted:

However the original tileset maker(Dead People) is still updating, so I would suggest using that one.
I heard that was the one that stole assets.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

I heard that was the one that stole assets.

Yes, and it is still the best tileset. So most people just download it manually.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

just use retrodays imo.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Retrodays for life, really, but I get why people like the bad but more detailed sprites of the other stuff. I just can't play roguelikes in higher resolutions, it messes with my ability to recognize things, and my field of view.

Also I'm gonna recommend aftershock and disable npc needs. Although the latter has a hilarious bug with npcs that can metabolize sunlight quickly turning into blobs.

Aftershock and the vehicle mods do a lot to add in the fun again and most of the removed scifi stuff ends up migrating to aftershock.

If you like the old bionics method then I recommend enabling the mod that restores that, and the mod that makes auto docs 100% reliable. Then you basically have the old system with the chance of finding rare auto docs to help you install harder implants.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

npcs that can metabolize sunlight quickly turning into blobs.

"Photosynthetic characters becoming morbidly obese from too much time in the sun" is somehow the single most Cataclysm concept I have ever encountered. It just perfectly encapsulates the goofy-rear end kitchen-sink maximalism and half-baked grognardy pseudorealism that are constantly at war in this weird loving game

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Angry Diplomat posted:

"Photosynthetic characters becoming morbidly obese from too much time in the sun" is somehow the single most Cataclysm concept I have ever encountered. It just perfectly encapsulates the goofy-rear end kitchen-sink maximalism and half-baked grognardy pseudorealism that are constantly at war in this weird loving game

Also unless something major changed since last I played latest-build Russian Roulette, generally the worst parts of both the maximalism and grognard simulationism are pretty much always shat straight into to the experimental builds in an unfinished barely-functional state instead of being developed to the point where betatesting can provide meaningful feedback beyond "too broken to be unfun"

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

silentsnack posted:

Also unless something major changed since last I played latest-build Russian Roulette, generally the worst parts of both the maximalism and grognard simulationism are pretty much always shat straight into to the experimental builds in an unfinished barely-functional state instead of being developed to the point where betatesting can provide meaningful feedback beyond "too broken to be unfun"

The first update that included food freezing and needing to be thawed was so absurdly untested that during winter you could take a piping hot lasagna out of the oven and it would freeze solid on the turn it took you to eat it, leading to unavoidable starvation.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Angry Diplomat posted:

Its a mod interaction, turning npc needs off means they don't need food, but they'll still step outside to root and sun, there by taking on empty photon calories.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Mzbundifund posted:

The first update that included food freezing and needing to be thawed was so absurdly untested that during winter you could take a piping hot lasagna out of the oven and it would freeze solid on the turn it took you to eat it, leading to unavoidable starvation.

Freezing still has some quirks that seem to exist purely for grogny busy work.
Like why does toilet water freeze, if it's cold enough to freeze the toilet water your pipes will have frozen and burst long since. It justs adds a pointless step of having to build a fire next to the toilet to use the water in winter and spring.

And why do liquids freeze solid so quickly. I've left a bottle of water outside on a snowy day before and it had shards of ice formed inside but it was still very drinkable, I'd reckon you would need to leave them for a very long time at those temperatures to completely freeze.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marenghi posted:

Freezing still has some quirks that seem to exist purely for grogny busy work.
Like why does toilet water freeze, if it's cold enough to freeze the toilet water your pipes will have frozen and burst long since. It justs adds a pointless step of having to build a fire next to the toilet to use the water in winter and spring.

And why do liquids freeze solid so quickly. I've left a bottle of water outside on a snowy day before and it had shards of ice formed inside but it was still very drinkable, I'd reckon you would need to leave them for a very long time at those temperatures to completely freeze.

Part of the problem seems to be that they have a very weird idea of how cold it gets in the spring. I'm not 100% sure where exactly the game is supposed to be modeled after but I live in Canada and spring is definitely not "water left outside will freeze overnight" cold.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Part of the problem seems to be that they have a very weird idea of how cold it gets in the spring. I'm not 100% sure where exactly the game is supposed to be modeled after but I live in Canada and spring is definitely not "water left outside will freeze overnight" cold.

The game is supposed to be in New England.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Minor detour from the topic at hand but did it always take 10 actual minutes for you to finish a full nights sleep or have I missed up some setting? Did a lab escape start and after getting out half shredded by turret fire I decided to sleep in a isolated farmhouse and I made this post while I waited for my character to wake up.

Some of the new mutations are fun. Not entirely sure how vampire would work under the circumstances. Mouse is oddly powerful with the massive dodge and speed and extra stealth, plus the meaty junk food morale bonus. You are pretty flimsy though I guess.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Unless they added a lot earlier ways to get targeted mutations any new mutation themes will be comfortably within the "too late to matter" end of the spectrum.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Unless they added a lot earlier ways to get targeted mutations any new mutation themes will be comfortably within the "too late to matter" end of the spectrum.

I always just debug in a bunch of whatever serum I wanna try out at the start of any mutant run I feel like doing. The pros and cons a lot of them have make a fresh start interesting when your too small/big/tentacled to wear most clothes, at least for awhile.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
That's a legitimate start imo, most mutation lines come with a bunch of drawbacks and it's a shame that you never get them until those drawbacks are just a nuisance instead of a concern. Leg tentacles have a nasty speed penalty but a hefty stealth bonus that makes early house raiding real tense. I've started with them several times for that reason on lab escapes.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Caidin posted:

Minor detour from the topic at hand but did it always take 10 actual minutes for you to finish a full nights sleep or have I missed up some setting? Did a lab escape start and after getting out half shredded by turret fire I decided to sleep in a isolated farmhouse and I made this post while I waited for my character to wake up.

I've had sleep times vary wildly depending on how many things are in the reality bubble range. Though never more than a few minutes.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
10 minutes is definitely a very long time - I don't think I've ever had it take that long, but if there was a lot of poo poo going on (like say a building was on fire nearby) that could account for the slowness. If it was just in the middle of nowhere I have no idea what make it struggle so much.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Turn off z-levels, the calculations for other levels take forever.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I also find that things that take a long time with a 'waiting' spinner (sleeping, reading) take a fuckton of time if you've been out and about exploring a fair amount of the map, unless you either save and quit and come back in, or just quicksave before you start doing these things. Saving seems to dump off a lot of the map tiles into the save, and speeds tasks like these up enormously.

If, like you do some days, you're just sitting around in your base crafting and such, it doesn't matter, it's only when I've gone overland that sleeping and the like seem to take forever unless you save first.

It's also fairly good practice to quicksave when you get home anyhow - I don't know about anyone else, but I went through a week or two earlier this month in experimental where if the game was doing anything 'busy' (usually driving a vehicle through a populated town), it'd throw a segfault and crash. There was a point in the last month where somehow the volume of soda in cans and bottles was also causing a segfault. They've fixed both of these now, and fairly quickly, but the point is, unless you're playing stable (and I think most people don't), save often.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 19, 2019

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You should be able to find lots of target mutagens in the labs, there's a special vault for the serums, and the cost of entry is a pickaxe/jackhammer. Also always take robust genetics if you every plan on mutating. You can dance naked in front a yog and get crazy good mutations after a few dozen darts.

It shouldn't take you 10 minutes for a nights sleep. Try saving and reloading or just saving before you sleep, the game does some cleanup. Z-levels run fine for me, and the last game I played I accidently made my homebase over one of the big central labs.

Also get the launcher if your going to play experimental. Sometimes builds are just too broken to play, and it makes back ups so you can roll back if a new version doesn't work out, and you can pick your version a lot easier.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Caidin posted:

Sleep time did increase as they added more stuff into game. It has to calculate all the stuff going on around you while you sleep.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Yeah, I should compile a list of things that have changed. Anyways, horses.

And other animals.

You can find horses now. They can be tamed with cattle fodder. If your survival is 3 or more you can ride them bareback. If not you can put a saddle on them. You can also put saddlebags on them and they will carry stuff. You can fight while mounted on them, although they tend to take damage before you do from zombies.

They will heal over time, and you can put horse armor on them. There is also armor for dogs.

This all works pretty well now. The best thing is though is that you can find a yoke. You can put yokes on vehicles and then lead a horse to the yoke and the horse will become the motor of the vehicle. Can't find gas? No problem saw the front off that car and yoke a good steed to it.

This loving rules. But already I can see the cataclysm spiral unfolding before me, in one hand the horses lose their magical regeneration powers, require way too much vegetable matter and become ultimately not worth the effort. On the other hand, you can tame bears and moose in much the same way as well as yoking zombie hulks in order to pull something like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGHvKuaaErs&t=253s

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I mean peak Cataclysm to me is mentally picturing a squid man in a trucker hat, AK-47 wrapped in his left tentacle and the reigns of six grizzly bears in the other as he rides atop a chariot that is literally just a flotilla of shopping trolleys lazily lashed together with cargo-straps. Hes wearing an American flag across his shoulders and firing blindly into a croud of the undead.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Peak Cataclysm for you is a episode of the Squidbillies?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Thankfully, at least, the current development seems to be at least paying some attention to things that are tedius. They may be grognardy, but they do seem to care about reducing button presses. The zones are part of that, but I also know that NPC's will feed themselves from the larder of a settlement too now. By the time we need to feed our animals they'll probably have a similar system.

Also animals do reproduce, so with some clever wrangling, you can breed mooses in a fenced in area. Or cows, if you want something easier to get a lot of. Minecraft rules apply, you need 2 animals of the same species, but they don't have a gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

That Guy Bob posted:

Peak Cataclysm for you is a episode of the Squidbillies?

Yes.