Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leal posted:

Shenanigans with my car required me to buy a bike and bike to work, 4 miles a day for 5 days a week. And I gained weight on the scale :mad:

Most people who want to "lose weight" probably should measure size with tape and not weight with scales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Been Playing Disco Elysium, and I was giggling to myself because my dumbass character was bothering some lady browsing books at a bookstore, insisting her family was missing and needed to be found. She just kept getting more and more pissed at my insinuations, then said "actually my husband is a bit of a lush like you, maybe he ISN'T home..." and I got a sidequest out of it.

It was at least half a dozen times insisting that he was missing, and I had absolutely zero foreknowledge he was.

This only came about because i passed by a drunk guy on a staircase, activated an optional "thinking moment" that are very easy to skip, then went back to her and said "I found him! Working class alcoholic on the stairs over there!" :haw:

It absolutely wasn't him, but it did cause the woman to go "...maybe you SHOULD go find him. Lord knows where he IS drinking."

This game rules

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mokinokaro posted:

Warsat kills on Mars (and the Moon now) are a time honoured tradition.

There's an inbound containment pod from the Prison of Elders.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

thecluckmeme posted:

Been Playing Disco Elysium, and I was giggling to myself because my dumbass character was bothering some lady browsing books at a bookstore, insisting her family was missing and needed to be found. She just kept getting more and more pissed at my insinuations, then said "actually my husband is a bit of a lush like you, maybe he ISN'T home..." and I got a sidequest out of it.

It was at least half a dozen times insisting that he was missing, and I had absolutely zero foreknowledge he was.

This only came about because i passed by a drunk guy on a staircase, activated an optional "thinking moment" that are very easy to skip, then went back to her and said "I found him! Working class alcoholic on the stairs over there!" :haw:

It absolutely wasn't him, but it did cause the woman to go "...maybe you SHOULD go find him. Lord knows where he IS drinking."

This game rules

When day 3 opens up the docks, have fun exploring it.

................... :( ................

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hirayuki posted:

The rolling HP counter was in Earthbound (Mother 2) as well, and probably in the first game, too. It definitely saved my rear end a few times.

Mother 1 didn’t have it, it’s an extremely bare bones NES JRPG when it comes to mechanics.

But I love it all the same. The music is probably my favorite NES soundtrack, there’s just some sort of lost nostalgia feel to it that nothing else on the system really ever had.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Dewgy posted:

Mother 1 didn’t have it, it’s an extremely bare bones NES JRPG when it comes to mechanics.

But I love it all the same. The music is probably my favorite NES soundtrack, there’s just some sort of lost nostalgia feel to it that nothing else on the system really ever had.

I liked Mother 1 for the context that all this time Gigyas is just a child who misses his adoptive mother and is being pressured by his species into invading her home due to his rear end in a top hat father trying to steal their psi powers. He doesn't want to, but feels trapped. When he realises that the main character is his grandson he even reaches out to you in a "Join me and come back to my home planet" move.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

One more thing I'm liking about Fallen Order is when the game starts mixing in the imperial troops and the various creatures you fight, neither of whom are friendly to one another. So sometimes you'll peek into the room ahead and you can watch a battle between a squad of troopers and a big ogre or something, it's usually unscripted and pretty fun to watch how the battles play out before you step in (not to mention letting some of the Empire's finest most expendable wear down the tougher creatures a bit).

Different types of enemies being hostile towards each other is something that I've always enjoyed in games. I just finished playing through Days Gone, and I think they struck a great balance between different groups being a threat to the player, and to each other.

For anyone who hasn't played, it's an open world post-apocalypse game that pits the player against infected humans (think 28 Days Later style runners), as well as wolves, bears, groups of cannibals, and murder cults, to name a few.

So here I was, on a bounty hunting job, tracking down a guy who had killed a member of a survivor camp and ran off. He was holed up with a group of about a dozen armed hard-asses, in a big abandoned building. As I was scouting the area, I stumbled across a pretty sizable Horde of Freakers (Hordes of infected can consist of 200+ members who will quickly swarm and overrun anything when aggroed). So instead of tackling the raider group head on, I lured the Horde close with some noise-makers. As the mob ran screaming towards the building, I started to hear gunshots and panicked cries of "Oh gently caress! Freakers!" I have to give the bad guys credit, they did manage to take down a good number before they got overwhelmed, but they may as well have been trying to hold back the high tide with a few buckets. The longest part was waiting for the Freaks to stumble back to their hibernation den, so that I could go in and find my dead bounty target, so I'd have proof to bring back to the camp.

It was a lot of fun, although some areas are gated off behind story progress, there's lots of fun to be had just exploring and scavenging, and watching groups of screaming Freakers run down a deer and start eating it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

With Ring Fit Adventure, is the leg strap at all prone to loosening/falling down while exercising? I've seen so much good word of mouth about it that I'm tempted to get it, but I'm still leery about games that require you to strap a controller to yourself after trying EA Active years ago.

Yes and no. Depends on your choice of pants mostly and how tightly you adjust it. Turning on silent mode is also a boon since the jogging is the part most likely to make it slip down. If it's something you've been worrying about I would say don't, it happened to me twice and since then it has never happened.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I posted in the other thread that I solved nothing in Obra Dinn after seeing all the vignettes. So I’m going back and taking my time and doing much better. Paying attention to small details, remembering which people are always together, who is in the same room and things like body language all make differences once you start to learn to look for them.

In conclusion, I am a great detective.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Polaron posted:

There's an inbound containment pod from the Prison of Elders.

I still love how the containment pod can “drop out of orbit” when you’re standing in a giant cave

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I posted in the other thread that I solved nothing in Obra Dinn after seeing all the vignettes. So I’m going back and taking my time and doing much better. Paying attention to small details, remembering which people are always together, who is in the same room and things like body language all make differences once you start to learn to look for them.

In conclusion, I am a great detective.
I thought I'd love Obra Dinn, but I'm just awful at it. I am, however, proud that I IDed a guy because of IRL knowledge (I recognized that one guy's tattoos as being from Papua New Guinea or wherever it was). That was it. :( I'll have to try again someday and use your tips.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order there's a flashback where you learn to do wall running and your master tells you to do it "Faster and more intensely."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The "Talk To The Plants" sidequest in Control is very neat and I love little quiet character moments like these.

"I wish my leaves were as green as yours."

"Hello little plant, I hope you had a productive day."

"The chlorophyl really brings out the green in your leaves."

"Do you have a family? I have a brother. I miss him a lot." :smith:"

and in the end, Jesse is all "oh, it's over. I wish there were more, they're such good listeners." :3:

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Hirayuki posted:

I thought I'd love Obra Dinn, but I'm just awful at it. I am, however, proud that I IDed a guy because of IRL knowledge (I recognized that one guy's tattoos as being from Papua New Guinea or wherever it was). That was it. :( I'll have to try again someday and use your tips.

One thing that took me a stupidly long time to realize but helped immensely once I figured it out is that every bunk has a number tag that directly corresponds to a sailor's roster number.

Also don't be afraid to throw names out at random once you've at least narrowed down a sailor's rating. It might feel like borderline cheesing but for some of the sailors, that's the only way to ID them. I'm looking at you, Chinese topmen.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Petit Gregory posted:

One thing that took me a stupidly long time to realize but helped immensely once I figured it out is that every bunk has a number tag that directly corresponds to a sailor's roster number.

Also don't be afraid to throw names out at random once you've at least narrowed down a sailor's rating. It might feel like borderline cheesing but for some of the sailors, that's the only way to ID them. I'm looking at you, Chinese topmen.

you can ID at least two of the Chinese topmen in the same scene by looking at their shoes.

wrong thread, but the thing dragging Obra Dinn down is that I've finished it and I can't wipe the answers from my mind to play it again.

edit: my actual favourite little thing was probably the tattoo because I didn't notice it for so long and felt like a right idiot when I noticed it, but in a fun way.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Nov 19, 2019

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Werong Bustope posted:

you can ID at least two of the Chinese topmen in the same scene by looking at their shoes.

:doh: I knew to pay special attention to everyone's garbs but it didn't even occur to me to check their shoes.

This game.

edit:
I felt like a genius when I was able to ID the gunner and gunner's mate just from the sketch alone despite the game telling me I didn't have enough clues because well duh, who else is suppose to give orders to a firing squad?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
There is an enemy in Fallen Order that does a massive kick attack. Watching a melee stormtrooper run up to this enemy, plink it once, then go flying backwards 30 feet as he takes a giant boot to the face will stick with me for a long time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

moosecow333 posted:

There is an enemy in Fallen Order that does a massive kick attack. Watching a melee stormtrooper run up to this enemy, plink it once, then go flying backwards 30 feet as he takes a giant boot to the face will stick with me for a long time.

That's always a good time. My favorite so far is watching them fight the giant robot temple guardians who just slowly stomp around while blasting them with energy balls out of their chest. Just so relaxing to sit back and let somebody else take on those assholes for once.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

haveblue posted:

I still love how the containment pod can “drop out of orbit” when you’re standing in a giant cave

I love that the pods land a good few seconds before that dialogue clip plays. So it's extremely likely that if you've never done it before your first indication that the pod is incoming is it smashing into your face and then the Ghost telling you "Oh, hey, there's something coming!".

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Petit Gregory posted:

:doh: I knew to pay special attention to everyone's garbs but it didn't even occur to me to check their shoes.

This game.

edit:
I felt like a genius when I was able to ID the gunner and gunner's mate just from the sketch alone despite the game telling me I didn't have enough clues because well duh, who else is suppose to give orders to a firing squad?

I had almost the exact opposite of this, when one of the last people I had left to ID was the helmsman and I was getting frustrated scouring the scenes for clues despite having looked at that drat picture with him clearly right next to the wheel probably a hundred times over the course of the game. I did manage to ID the bosun and his mate based purely off of the bosun's hat though, which made me feel briefly and pointlessly smug.

This game walks a great line between making you feel like a super detective and a complete idiot depending on what you spot and what you overlook.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I identified the bosun first because he uses a German curse in his death scene. So who is German/Austrian and identify him that way. And then he asks for his Frenchman. So who is French and why would the bosun call him “my Frenchman”. Because they work closely together.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Extremely little thing in Control: They came up with a very neat way of making the player notice collectibles or interactive pieces of the game, without resorting to making everything glow or littering the screen with icons. Instead, when you look around a circle closes in until it forms a dot, which then turns into the Use button as you get near. It's effective and keeps the simple, muted ambiance of the Bureau.

https://i.imgur.com/hZQchK8.mp4

Not so little thing: I got a snazzy golden suit :c00lbert:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
About the carpenter and carpenter’s mate of the Obra Dinn: In one vignette I found two people, a black guy and a white guy, both in the carpenter’s workshop obviously doing carpenter things. According to the manifest, both were American.
The next clue the game provided was that was in another scene. During an attack by crab-riding seaweed monsters, in a scene with a few talking characters, one yells “Come on, boss,” another voice tells him to get down, and then the first yells “Here, catch!” Both spoke in American accents. Then I have to recognize that the enthusiastic guy is the white guy being speared as he throws an axe, recognize him from the carpenter’s workshop, and then realize that since he refers to the other as “boss,” he’s the mate.
I didn’t work all that out. I thought that it’s 1803, and even though it’s a British ship, the black guy probably isn’t in charge, and didn’t get the confirmation until switched their names in the journal. Am I an rear end in a top hat? :ohdear:

A great WTF moment from Obra Dinn: The first victim of the Kraken is wrung to death while taking a dump off of a balcony on a lower deck. Before they show you the scene, you hear clothes rustling, a sigh of relief, and then farting transitioning into horrifying bone-crunching :gonk:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Update on Disco Elysium: I finally made it to the fishing village area, found my badge, and have discovered my true name: TEQUILA SUNSEEEEEET

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Dr Christmas posted:

About the carpenter and carpenter’s mate of the Obra Dinn: In one vignette I found two people, a black guy and a white guy, both in the carpenter’s workshop obviously doing carpenter things. According to the manifest, both were American.
The next clue the game provided was that was in another scene. During an attack by crab-riding seaweed monsters, in a scene with a few talking characters, one yells “Come on, boss,” another voice tells him to get down, and then the first yells “Here, catch!” Both spoke in American accents. Then I have to recognize that the enthusiastic guy is the white guy being speared as he throws an axe, recognize him from the carpenter’s workshop, and then realize that since he refers to the other as “boss,” he’s the mate.
I didn’t work all that out. I thought that it’s 1803, and even though it’s a British ship, the black guy probably isn’t in charge, and didn’t get the confirmation until switched their names in the journal. Am I an rear end in a top hat? :ohdear:

A great WTF moment from Obra Dinn: The first victim of the Kraken is wrung to death while taking a dump off of a balcony on a lower deck. Before they show you the scene, you hear clothes rustling, a sigh of relief, and then farting transitioning into horrifying bone-crunching :gonk:

I used the same logic as you when first trying to suss out who was the carpenter and who was the assistant, so don't feel too bad. I mean, if you're worried about seeming racist, the game dares you to sort out 4 Chinese people who can generally only be distinguished in game by their footwear.

Obra Dinn is really, really good. They found a way to make a game out of being an insurance adjuster with a magic pocket watch. It's such a bizarre concept but it works as a puzzle game so well. I think I'd be perfectly happy with a spiritual sequel. Keep the mechanics and the graphics and the story telling style, and just give me another mystery to solve.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
The Wii remote is pretty good for aiming, as you can point it quickly and mostly reliably.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mamkute posted:

The Wii remote is pretty good for aiming, as you can point it quickly and mostly reliably.

RE4 on the Wii is the best RE4.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nice little convenience thing in Death Stranding: Sometimes the game will send you to your "private room" aka your save hub automatically for cutscenes or a general gameplay break. Usually if you have a stolen bandit vehicle parked on the platform it won't let you go down there, you'll have to move it... but if the game sends you there, they just skip that so you don't have to leave the menu, move the car, go back to the menu and jump on the platform.

edit: Also a cool little bit of world building. Each major "knot" in the connecting network you form has its own emblem above Sam in your private room. However, if you're paying attention to the emblems you may notice it jumps from K4 (Lake Knot City) to K6 (South Lake Knot City). There's no K5 because it was bombed by terrorists before the game's events- but you can go explore the ruins of it and find the emblem in the usual spot on the ruined city walls!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:57 on Nov 20, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CJacobs posted:

Obligatory "watch my streams, I actually give a drat about the game and give it the breathing room it deserves" self promo post: I've really been enjoying it and it's been a great experience, I'm glad I approached it with an open mind. Gotta shoot my shot wherever I can lol :shobon:

Will do.

I've enjoyed your LPs before :thumbsup:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

For all the controversy around pokemon recently, i do like this new gen having a lot of surprises, when sun and moon was coming out they spoiled basically every pokemon on the website and it kinda ruined half the fun. Also it feels like more recently they are really going out of their way to come up with more things for weird type combinations and its been really neat.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Zoig posted:

For all the controversy around pokemon recently, i do like this new gen having a lot of surprises, when sun and moon was coming out they spoiled basically every pokemon on the website and it kinda ruined half the fun. Also it feels like more recently they are really going out of their way to come up with more things for weird type combinations and its been really neat.

The pokemon that's a bug in an apple having diverging evolution paths of bigger bug in apple or loving pie is golden

also the coolest rock dudes line since basically forever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Kitfox88 posted:

The pokemon that's a bug in an apple having diverging evolution paths of bigger bug in apple or loving pie is golden

also the coolest rock dudes line since basically forever.

It's not a bug, it's a dragon so it's a wyrm in an apple

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Calaveron posted:

It's not a bug, it's a dragon so it's a wyrm in an apple

:vince:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

The fact that the basic bug that every game has is bug/psychic in this game is loving wild, by the way, and honestly I really love how every generation since 5 has had more and more good bugs.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've been a big big fan since Gen 1 because the psychic supremacy was BULLSHIT

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Zoig posted:

The fact that the basic bug that every game has is bug/psychic in this game is loving wild, by the way, and honestly I really love how every generation since 5 has had more and more good bugs.

:hai: lots and lots of good grass types too

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Mamkute posted:

The Wii is the best console of all time because it made light gun games a thing again.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Gann Jerrod posted:

The Wii is the best console of all time because it made light gun games a thing again.

The most fun I ever had with the Wii was blasting through House of the Dead 2 & 3 with a mate. Super nostalgic.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Werong Bustope posted:

The most fun I ever had with the Wii was blasting through House of the Dead 2 & 3 with a mate. Super nostalgic.

Doing this really made me realize what utter bullshit those games would've been on the arcade, I would've had to absolutely feed dollar after dollar into the drat machines if I had played it, oftentimes all on the same boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I always have fun playing an old arcade game like Metal Slug or The Simpsons on consoles all the way through and then calculating how many quarters it would take to beat it. Often it's more than what I paid for the game itself.