Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Truga posted:

i just want it for watching poo poo in bed more comfortably, so 6dof isn't needed at all. looking online it looks like my phone won't fit most decent cardboard headmounts tho since it's too long :rip:

Get an Oculus go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
100euros used is a bit steep for something i'll use twice per month, i was looking into phone vr because it'd be under $30 :v:

i'll take it under consideration tho, thanks

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

OctaviusBeaver posted:

"Even Cracked" lol

I want to bring this back

Because I agree lmao who the gently caress still reads cracked.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

dogstile posted:

I want to bring this back

Because I agree lmao who the gently caress still reads cracked.

And why the surprise that 'even Cracked' did it, as if loving Cracked were going to have a high standard of journalism or something :v:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm trying not to get too hype for HL:Alyx but it's not easy.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Hope everyone's ready for the world's great portal gun-themed digital card game! In VR!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

At the end you have the option to kiss Gordon on the lips OR play fetch with Dog but you can’t do both.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

At the end you have the option to kiss Gordon on the lips OR play fetch with Dog but you can’t do both.

Like that's a real choice?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Valve has gone on record saying a big part of the reason that they havent made a new half life game (3 or otherwise) is because the first two are looked at as absolute essential classics. They captured lightning in a bottle and they have publicly stated that they wont make another half life game until they're confident that they have it nailed to the quality of the first two.

What this DOESNT mean is "valve wont make a new half life unless its a clone of the first two", its about quality standards and industry impact. Yes, modern games do half life stuff better than half life did, but the impact of the games on release absolutely cannot be overstated. There was nothing like them.

Thats what they have said they want to recapture.

Also, a new half life game is such a huge event in the gaming world that you can bet that within 24 hours someone will have patched it to run 2d, even if the new whizbang features get turned into sierra-style point and click stuff, people will want to experience the story, and therefore will do anything they can to get it on a regular monitor. I can all but promise that.

Either way, I think Valve would not be calling this a flagship game, or a half life game if they werent reasonably sure they had recaptured the lightning in their bottle. And monitor users will definitely get to play this game, either officially down the road, or with mods. Those are my predictions.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes, modern games do half life stuff better than half life did
Really? I haven't found one. In particular, both Half-Lifes nail the balance between action, puzzle-solving, and exploration, all while having a reasonably well-executed narrative that sets the mood and feels immersive without being so in your face and time-consuming with cutscenes that it gets annoying.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What if I want to kiss dog or play fetch with gordon?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cicero posted:

Really? I haven't found one. In particular, both Half-Lifes nail the balance between action, puzzle-solving, and exploration, all while having a reasonably well-executed narrative that sets the mood and feels immersive without being so in your face and time-consuming with cutscenes that it gets annoying.
This game is almost a decade old at this point, but Singularity fuckin owns as a fairly direct successor to the Half-Life style FPS

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
I’ve been enjoying the people argue over which Engine it runs on. There are 3 camps. Unity. Source. Source 2.

I don’t really care I just want to play but LOL at some of the raging tears people have over that kind of stuff.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cicero posted:

NuDoom? Although I guess that doesn't really have puzzle solving. But I don't remember much actual puzzle solving from the Half Life games either. I'm assuming we're limiting to shooters here.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

You don't remember the many physics puzzles in Half-Life 2? Swinging a crane around, putting down planks on the sand to avoid the ant lions, etc?

edit: also this one with the weights and ramp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iib5XsGAUdw

Cicero fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 20, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The worst things about HL2 were the physics puzzles. You can't change my mind

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

They weren't as interesting as Portal physics puzzles, but I liked how they broke up the action parts and made the world feel more interactive and real.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SabinBlitz posted:

I’ve been enjoying the people argue over which Engine it runs on. There are 3 camps. Unity. Source. Source 2.

I don’t really care I just want to play but LOL at some of the raging tears people have over that kind of stuff.
Please hook me up with some quotes from people who think the new Half-Life game is going to be made in freakin' Unity

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cicero posted:

You don't remember the many physics puzzles in Half-Life 2? Swinging a crane around, putting down planks on the sand to avoid the ant lions, etc?

edit: also this one with the weights and ramp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iib5XsGAUdw

I remember the ant lion one now that you mention. The others... the others I do not.

I remember plenty of cool neat physics demonstrations, but most of them weren't puzzles.

TACD posted:

Please hook me up with some quotes from people who think the new Half-Life game is going to be made in freakin' Unity

They think its going to use the Boneworks engine for some reason.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 20, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TACD posted:

Valve has their own Unity fork, but yeah it's dumb of course they're using their latest iteration of Source and it was confirmed to be the case by Kerry Davis in his dev talk in September anyway.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Valve has gone on record saying a big part of the reason that they havent made a new half life game (3 or otherwise) is because the first two are looked at as absolute essential classics. They captured lightning in a bottle and they have publicly stated that they wont make another half life game until they're confident that they have it nailed to the quality of the first two.

What this DOESNT mean is "valve wont make a new half life unless its a clone of the first two", its about quality standards and industry impact. Yes, modern games do half life stuff better than half life did, but the impact of the games on release absolutely cannot be overstated. There was nothing like them.

And yet they went on to make those episodes and didn't finish that either.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cicero posted:

Metro series has a good mix of action, exploration, linear narrative and first person immersion. IMO it's the closest thing right now.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

dogstile posted:

Making industry standard "immersive", meaning unskippable, cutscenes. Also having pretty bad for the time shooting that hasn't aged well. So the physics puzzles are the third worst aspect, out of the three parts.

Can you believe that I never understood why Half Life 2 was so well loved?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Also my biggest HL2 pet peeve. OK so no cutscenes but instead characters talk at me in-game and I can't do anything until their done. Yeah, way better then skippable cutscenes, good job everyone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Either way, I think Valve would not be calling this a flagship game, or a half life game if they werent reasonably sure they had recaptured the lightning in their bottle. And monitor users will definitely get to play this game, either officially down the road, or with mods. Those are my predictions.

Not if they're still actively trying to push VR. Software exclusives are a big part of encouraging hardware sales, and a VR-exclusive Half-Life game is going to have a lot of people piss and moan about VR at first before they bite the bullet and start dropping cash on a Quest or Index.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

Also my biggest HL2 pet peeve. OK so no cutscenes but instead characters talk at me in-game and I can't do anything until their done. Yeah, way better then skippable cutscenes, good job everyone.

It's hard (admittedly not impossible) to achieve an unbroken narrative while also allowing people to skip chunks of it.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

TACD posted:

Don’t touch the poop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/dys4dn/what_the_halflife_alyx_gameplay_could_look_like/

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

I mean, they're not really advocating for that though? They're just saying that Boneworks has a Source-like look, a crowbar and it's a VR game, so HL:A May look similar?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SCheeseman posted:

It's hard (admittedly not impossible) to achieve an unbroken narrative while also allowing people to skip chunks of it.

Seems like a design oversight to never think "oh people might play this a second time and want to skip story beats they already know"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

I remember there was a Mac laptop you could upgrade from a G3 to a G4 by mailing it to a company that desoldered the CPU and put the better one into the same socket. I wonder if that'd still work these days for a Snapdragon SOC?

What'd make that trickiest these days is the SoC part. Back in the G3/G4 era the CPU was just a device on the front-side bus. As long as your new CPU used the same bus technology you could adapt between even physically incompatible parts with relative ease. See also the 1.4GHz Pentium 3 swaps on original Xboxes, the numerous adapters for using mobile CPUs in desktop boards, etc. Rearrange some pins, maybe add a bit more power capacity, and you're good to go.

With a system-on-a-chip though the chip has a lot more external interfaces. You have to match up all of those for it to work, and different variants of the chip may or may not even have the same things. It's still theoretically possible, but a lot harder.

There are of course often chips made with the specific intent of being pin compatible with a previous model so if this happens to be the case then at least the hardware end of it would be "just" a matter of having some BGA reworking tools, then whatever softtware changes might be needed as already noted.

Truga posted:

so here's a dumb question: how dead is phone/cardboard VR? i finally have a phone that was built in this decade. are there any comfy cardboard-compatible headstraps or is the only way to do that decently a quest?
Cardboard is so dead that Google straight up open sourced it the other day. https://github.com/googlevr/cardboard

dogstile posted:

My girlfriend has just started playing HL2 for the first time ever and it's been quite interesting watching her learn to play as someone whose only first-person gaming experience is Minecraft. I remember being amazed by the physics puzzles back in 2004 when it was state of the art tech, but yeah it is kind of hilarious in hindsight seeing how many times they had segments that were just tech demos turned in to obstacles.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 20, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

Seems like a design oversight to never think "oh people might play this a second time and want to skip story beats they already know"

The Chapter Select helps this a little.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm really interested to see how Valve tackles movement. Teleport? Smooth locomotion? Floating/flying? (I realize not all games can be set in space but it really is the best form of movement)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

wolrah posted:

My girlfriend has just started playing HL2 for the first time ever and it's been quite interesting watching her learn to play as someone whose only first-person gaming experience is Minecraft. I remember being amazed by the physics puzzles back in 2004 when it was state of the art tech, but yeah it is kind of hilarious in hindsight seeing how many times they had segments that were just tech demos turned in to obstacles.

Yeah, it looks like they had some cool tech at the time and they never moved forward from it. With the storefront they never had to, either. The rest is history. Granted, I can still play through half life (the whole series) and kind of enjoy it, which means that they've definitely got something there, but goddamn i hate the puzzles.

E: Because someone mentioned it, I hadn't thought about the cutscenes. They're (almost) as bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GlyphGryph posted:

They think its going to use the Boneworks engine for some reason.

Boneworks is a game in Unity, it isn't an engine. Its just a small team.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zer0spunk posted:

You can look around the room and play with the magnifying lenses and things like that!

Check out the details!

I dunno, being able to skip them would be nice, but I always found the way valve didn't take player control away but instead did cutscenes in-character was much better. Cutscenes are dumb.

That said, in episode 2 when they grab freeman and hold you in place that's basically a cutscene anyways, just moving the camera left or right doesn't count.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Boneworks is a game in Unity, it isn't an engine. Its just a small team.
Engine is an ambiguous term, if they re-used the physics/interactivity code in another game, you could reasonably call it an engine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not if they're still actively trying to push VR. Software exclusives are a big part of encouraging hardware sales, and a VR-exclusive Half-Life game is going to have a lot of people piss and moan about VR at first before they bite the bullet and start dropping cash on a Quest or Index.

Hence why I said “or with mods”

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have no idea how people dead-eye hard maps in Pistol Whip. Some of the maps pretty much take the wind out of me in shooting gallery mode. I'm old.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Counterpoint, HL2 Ep2 was a pretty bog standard game at time of release and was basically forgettable (I think you forgot about it when making this post even)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cicero posted:

Engine is an ambiguous term, if they re-used the physics/interactivity code in another game, you could reasonably call it an engine.

It is, which is also why its kinda a weak term IMO. Gamers tend to put a lot of stock into "engine" because it sounds so integral, but lots of games could be basically the same in different engines, its more about the tools than anything especially these days.

So I dunno at that point just say library or code :shrug: But I doubt they'd even copy code wholesale from Boneworks? I guess they could import the package like a library but they could also just take the same concepts that boneworks has proved and implement them themselves.

Most of the VR logic isn't very complicated so its not like graphics code where there's a poo poo ton of boilerplate you'd want to skip. Its more just that it takes time to R&D what actually plays best in VR. But once you know what you want, the actual code isn't really much at all. But then again, why re-write it if you don't have to, so maybe they are using the same code from boneworks IDK.