Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

Nope. I'm in a whole different industry now. Although he hosed a lot of his other employees over at Sigil. The "profit sharing" poo poo for Vanguard was a complete bait-and-switch, and a lot of people left pretty good jobs at SOE to follow him to his new company, which was a mismanaged shitshow.

Funny that Sigil was another company Microsoft invested heavily in, hoping for a flagship MMO for their new console. Brad took their money and hardly produced anything. Almost all of the ideas for Vanguard that people praise were never even seen by Brad. Most of the employees during this time were working in 30 hour shifts -- that's 30 hours of straight work, then an eight hour break for sleep, then back to 30 straight hours of work.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inacio posted:

so 3 enemy npcs?

Who you evade by clipping through the floor.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

no_recall posted:

ITS TIME FOR THE ANNUAL ShitizenConned 2019 Raffle!

Top 3 Prizes: a month of Humble Monthly!

SO. Lets get to it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GUESS THE NUMBER ON THE FUNDING TRACKER BY 1st DEC.

GO.

p/s: Please quote this so I don't have an excuse accidentally exclude your participation.

e: Participation closes the minutes before the Con. Nov 23 1PM GMT. (or when the Stream Begins).

$258,895,345 in successful jpeg sales.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

p/s: Please quote this so I don't have an excuse accidentally exclude your participation.

e: Participation closes the minutes before the Con. Nov 23 1PM GMT. (or when the Stream Begins).

$242,779,811.99

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

$246,948,655

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

Most of the employees during this time were working in 30 hour shifts -- that's 30 hours of straight work, then an eight hour break for sleep, then back to 30 straight hours of work.

Holy poo poo!

(How long did that go on for? That's, like, not even close to sustainable. Peat farmers in the 17th Century got more rest than that. Jesus.)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1197191956574720001

quote:

Are you searching for a studio with the freedom of an indie studio but the stability and benefits of a much larger AAA? As a small independent team with large commercial success, Hello Games is in a unique position to mix the best of both worlds. For all the above roles we offer competitive salary and a range of benefits including Private Medical Insurance, Pension, Life Assurance and Critical Illness cover as well as a healthy social budget including perks like Pilates classes. All this in a lovely studio in central Guildford that has free parking and is only a short walk from the train station.

8 Vacant positions

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs

43 open positions in the UK alone, 78 worldwide.

Just tossing this out here, in case any uk based goon needs a job.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

252,080,085 (should be actually pretty close to the damage a ramp does to vehicles)

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 20, 2019

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

Holy poo poo!

(How long did that go on for? That's, like, not even close to sustainable. Peat farmers in the 17th Century got more rest than that. Jesus.)
I wasn't there, but I heard people were doing that for around 8 months or so. Release Vanguard came together in about 14 months. Release was Q1 2007, and many people I talked to (some of them my former coworkers) confirmed that "real" development didn't start until Q3/Q4 2015. They didn't have much of anything before then, even after 3 separate rounds of Microsoft investment totaling somewhere around $25m.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Brad was also conspicuously absent, unless he was giving an interview promising new features that no one had heard of or worked on.

He also took a large amount of that initial Microsoft investment money for himself and Jeff Butler, since their "ideas" were the backbone of the company.

Sounds oddly familiar, somehow.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Joke's on you, the lack of sex only makes it more realistic.

Got a point! :lol:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So the correct course of action if CIG had a time-machine is to start with a small game like Elite Dangerous of Warframe, and just keep adding content and polish over time. I don't know poo poo about game development but usually a creator nails down down the formula first, then they have a pipeline that creates new content at a steady rate. I.E. Bioware made Baldur's Gate II in two years. It was twice as long as the original, with better graphics and deeper gameplay. They accomplished by establishing the formula of the first game and learning of all the little mistakes afterwards.

It also helps to have developer who didn't disappear from games for over a decade and actually accounts for modern trends.

Iterative development like this requires good project management.

This is where you get a focus and you stick to it and don't rub off chasing after the rabbit suddenly.

The problem with CIG has always been their lack of project management capabilities and that CR chases down something new every couple of months. Their deliveries are as broken and confused as you would expect. Their roadmap is a mishmash of ideas half baked along the way and thrown aside for the flavor of the month.

Iterative delivery for SC would have been a good idea. It would have given the team experience and knowledge for how to build more complex future ideas. Unfortunately here we are. :)

CRs inability to have patience with a good SDLC is disastrous to the project. His need for immediate gratification is not ever good for any software development studio in any line of work.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

Brad was also conspicuously absent, unless he was giving an interview promising new features that no one had heard of or worked on.

He also took a large amount of that initial Microsoft investment money for himself and Jeff Butler, since their "ideas" were the backbone of the company.

Sounds like Microsoft might have (or have had) a problem with questionable investments without proper oversight during development.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

I wasn't there, but I heard people were doing that for around 8 months or so. Release Vanguard came together in about 14 months. Release was Q1 2007, and many people I talked to (some of them my former coworkers) confirmed that "real" development didn't start until Q3/Q4 2015. They didn't have much of anything before then, even after 3 separate rounds of Microsoft investment totaling somewhere around $25m.

Christ...

(Guessing that's Q3/Q4 2005 for "real" dev)

TheAgent posted:

At least he didn't make Outlander. Saving graces!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

$246,512,768

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

$ 256,789,012

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

$248,902,021

Although I have a feeling the whales will be throwing their kids college funds and their 401k's into it this year, just to spite common sense and reason. :D

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

TheAgent posted:

My old boss Brad McQuiad is dead at 51.
https://twitter.com/gamasutra/status/1197147582373302275
Kind of hard to believe, actually. While I disagreed with him a lot professionally, we both shared a lot of the same personal issues and struggles. Hope he's finally at peace.

He ranger gated to a bind point in the sky. RIP

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bofast posted:

Sounds like Microsoft might have (or have had) a problem with questionable investments without proper oversight during development.
it was the ballmer years, another example of a person highly inept (can't really say he was unqualified can you?) to do anything business related but somehow could only fail upwards to the tune of several billion dollars

his mismanagement of microsoft and the infighting, backstabbing and overall treachery it caused is absolutely loving legendary

amazon is currently doing MS's early 2000s playbook when it comes to games, just throwing out money and buying names without really having any sort of plan, idea or common sense

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

The Titanic posted:

Iterative development like this requires good project management.

This is where you get a focus and you stick to it and don't rub off chasing after the rabbit suddenly.

The problem with CIG has always been their lack of project management capabilities and that CR chases down something new every couple of months. Their deliveries are as broken and confused as you would expect. Their roadmap is a mishmash of ideas half baked along the way and thrown aside for the flavor of the month.

Iterative delivery for SC would have been a good idea. It would have given the team experience and knowledge for how to build more complex future ideas. Unfortunately here we are. :)

CRs inability to have patience with a good SDLC is disastrous to the project. His need for immediate gratification is not ever good for any software development studio in any line of work.

To me, it all makes sense when you assume they're just trying to check the box for each BS "feature" that the mushmouth promised over the years. No one cares if the game is good or functional or fun to play. As long as CInoG and the backers can say they've technically delivered feature X, that's one step closer to saying "star citizen is complete" and fending off criticism that they're just another failed kickstarter.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

TheAgent posted:

it was the ballmer years, another example of a person highly inept (can't really say he was unqualified can you?) to do anything business related but somehow could only fail upwards to the tune of several billion dollars

his mismanagement of microsoft and the infighting, backstabbing and overall treachery it caused is absolutely loving legendary

amazon is currently doing MS's early 2000s playbook when it comes to games, just throwing out money and buying names without really having any sort of plan, idea or common sense

Microsoft actually managed to put out some games worth a drat though. Still waiting on Amazon.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Microsoft actually managed to put out some games worth a drat though. Still waiting on Amazon.

AHEM:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/583240/Coffence/

EDIT: Oh also some dumb companion game to one of their Amazon Prime series.

TAKE THAT.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
So it's a steam game?

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
Does star citizen still have a pretty steady income stream from weirdos buying non existent pixels or has it started to flatten off?

I mean, 7 loving years or whatever and they're still just giving these people money for this carrot on a string poo poo? lmao

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

torturemyballs posted:

Does star citizen still have a pretty steady income stream from weirdos buying non existent pixels or has it started to flatten off?

I mean, 7 loving years or whatever and they're still just giving these people money for this carrot on a string poo poo? lmao

Yeah pretty much, whales are still keeping it alive. They're still burning through money at a fantastic rate and the only meaningful content they produce is more things to sell to whales

Oh and they had to take $46 million from a venture capitalist to stay alive

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pfff, loving amateur didn't even include a #gamedev in there...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sean Murray is just an alternate universe Chris Roberts.

Chris made up whatever poo poo came into his head, and then (supposedly) tried to make all of it happen instead of releasing a game. Sean made up whatever poo poo came into his head, released a game with none of it, and then tried to fill it on the back end.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

torturemyballs posted:

Yes, according to their own outward facing numbers. However, I would not put it past them to fudge the numbers a bit and use outside sources of funding to smooth out the funding tracker. Stuff like counting tax credits, loan money, and the Calder investment as "income" on the tracker. The tracker is an important tool for CIG, it shows the backers that faithful are still out there and are continuting to pledge. If the tracker shows that funding is tapering down, that means faith is wavering and that can cascade throughout the community causing funding to drop even further, faster. It's like a ponzi scheme, the numbers only go up until the day they don't, and then it's over.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
The Gamestar Shills did it again.
8 pages of full coverage, twice the amount of pages that regular AAA titles and studios and actual released usually get there lmao.

Zero criticism, plain lies and praise. Just in time for the Denial Con. The German whales will love it. It is advertising covered as „game journalism“. The Gamestar staff has bought several ships and got some codes and free stuff. Coincidence? I guess not.

https://imgur.com/a/zQIrN6u

Don’t bother with translating this. It is the usual dick sucking and telling how well everything now developes, they listed the „milestones“ and explained all Roadmap changes and postponed modules with the Cultist logic: The BDSSE needs time, and look how far they come!

Buy more ships.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Oh this is not even public on the sc reddit. Goons faster, again

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I feel like we're stuck in a time loop. Discussion here and in the backer forums is fundamentally unchanged from one, two, or three years ago. It's the same points over and over except the numbers keep going up.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

$253,769,823

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Sarsapariller posted:

I feel like we're stuck in a time loop. Discussion here and in the backer forums is fundamentally unchanged from one, two, or three years ago. It's the same points over and over except the numbers keep going up.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

$265,000,000

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

It'll continue like this for quite some time yet. It's literally a really dumb 'groundhog day' style scenario, we are all just turning up every day to see the little bastard pop his head out, but it never does.

The longer it goes on, the more I think that it's all going to eventually end in a really messy way and people are not going to be very happy at all with CInotG.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

But in all this time SC is still not finished while we're currently in the 7th sequel of the thread.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

no_recall posted:

SO. Lets get to it.

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GO.

$251,227,605

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

Citcon’s here soon and will change everything...