Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

they clearly wanted Poe to be the new Han Solo but somehow between the first and second movie they forgot what to do with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mandatory lesbian posted:

I loving love Akira, it's def a top 5 movie for me. The animation is stunning. I do feel the story is good but a little rough, especially the ending which I always feel a bit rushed by. Not a big problem, a lot of anime feels that way. Serial experiments lain is my fav and it's entire plot basically happens in like, the final 4 episodes of 13

If you want the really long version the manga is insanely beautiful too and instead of ending there it goes on for 300% more time and then ends in an entirely different more nationalist way

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also comics > cartoons

Serf
May 5, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

which one of them wanted leia to magic herself back into her space ship because, out of all the missteps, that's the one that's always stuck in my head. even as someone that has memorized an embarrassing amount of star wars trivia and is willing to suspend a lot of disbelief in service of enjoying the movie, that whole sequence was a solid "what the gently caress " moment for me

also poe's redemption for all his dumbassery should have been that he was the person to suicide strike the bad guys. i seriously do not care about him or his plotline at all and the fact that he gets to keep having second and third chances is really hardcore-to-the-mega dumb

edit: let kilo wren be the cis white dude anti-hero and just cut poe entirely from the series. poe feels like he only exists so that disney can pre-empt chuds bitching about the main characters being a woman and a black guy, which makes him completely superfluous to anything actually happening

the leia seen was all disney. rion johnson wanted to kill leia off as part of his larger attempt to move the material forward away from a slavish devotion to the past. they even had a chance to keep his original cut where she died after fisher's death and chose not to!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having the Hillary stand-in die would NOT be good optics

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

yeah but that trans aspect was something that literally nobody picked up on because we didnt have either the cultural context of what being trans is or the specific personal context of both of the wachowskis coming out and i think you have to remember that when looking at that movie and how people talked about it until the last few years when people reevaluated it and realized oh yeah no this movie is wildly gay and trans, everyone's wearing fetish gear and you murder the system for deadnaming you

like yes obviously its a thing to talk about when talking about the matrix but when you talk about the original release and the process of making it you cant separate it from that moment in time

i suppose calling for the guillotine for the studio execs who meddled would be pretty redundant anyhow since anyone who is a studio exec had probably spent their entire life viciously fighting to be first in line for that

and we're getting a fourth movie. i actually liked 2 and 3. i was a huge jrpg fan at that age and there's really nothing about them that someone who enjoyed xenogears isn't going to forgive

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Nov 20, 2019

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what kind os sentiment would that embolden in the chuds

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

they clearly wanted Poe to be the new Han Solo but somehow between the first and second movie they forgot what to do with him.

I mean I think they were trying to do something with him making all of the standard "heroic" loose cannon decisions that would normally save the day, but end up making everything worse. They just didn't go anywhere with it.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean I think they were trying to do something with him making all of the standard "heroic" loose cannon decisions that would normally save the day, but end up making everything worse. They just didn't go anywhere with it.

This was resolved when he was saved by the woman he wasn't listening too

Serf
May 5, 2011

look i get it, oscar isaac is handsome and charming, and you want him in your movie but at least give him something to do

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

22 Eargesplitten posted:

"you're a colossal gently caress-up on a scale of magnitude that is difficult to over-exaggerate and your reckless actions are both wildly illegal AND have placed hundreds of innocent lives in danger. despite all that, a woman is still going to end up wiping your butt and fixing all of the problems you've caused, and we'll all like that somehow absolves your astounding incompetence."

there's nothing redeeming about his character at all and i serious do not understand why anybody would want him to continue to exist in the plot. he has no connection to rey turning into kreia from kotor2 and he's been usurped from his role participating with Finn implementing luxury gay space communism by rose

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freaking Crumbum posted:

"you're a colossal gently caress-up on a scale of magnitude that is difficult to over-exaggerate and your reckless actions are both wildly illegal AND have placed hundreds of innocent lives in danger. despite all that, a woman is still going to end up wiping your butt and fixing all of the problems you've caused, and we'll all like that somehow absolves your astounding incompetence."

there's nothing redeeming about his character at all and i serious do not understand why anybody would want him to continue to exist in the plot. he has no connection to rey turning into kreia from kotor2 and he's been usurped from his role participating with Finn implementing luxury gay space communism by rose

OWNED men

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

also the whole issue where while that's what the movie tells you, what the movie actually shows is that Poe's ostensible fuckup didn't actually hurt the rebel cause at all and may in fact have been the correct decision, and the women who ostensibly needed to fix his mistakes (inc Leia) are actually tremendously incompetent

its almost like TLJ is an incredibly poorly conceived movie, executed badly

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Poe was right to mutiny.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LMFAO about the star wars discourse

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Resistance v Drumf

Marvel v DC

Star Wars v The bad fans

Disney v The old men

Blogger's valid timing criticisms v Teh Joker

ect. LOL

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

LGD posted:

its almost like TLJ is an incredibly poorly conceived movie, executed badly

What was the story of the start of filiming? Something like the director expected to have a script ready for him and Kathleen Kennedy gives him a couple pages of plot notes and says "We start filming in two weeks."

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Serf posted:

the leia seen was all disney. rion johnson wanted to kill leia off as part of his larger attempt to move the material forward away from a slavish devotion to the past. they even had a chance to keep his original cut where she died after fisher's death and chose not to!

remembering how years back Michael Eisner wanted to recast Jason Ritter for 8 Simples Rules for Dating My Daughter after he died and rightfully got poo poo for such a callous solution for an utimately forgettable sitcom, now gently caress it, Disney can make draconian decisions like that in franchises with way more cultural pull like nothing but wokely.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What was the story of the start of filiming? Something like the director expected to have a script ready for him and Kathleen Kennedy gives him a couple pages of plot notes and says "We start filming in two weeks."

I only have limited recollection/interest, but my impression was that Abrams had essentially sketched out the arc of the three movies broadly but they gave the director creative control and Johnson basically went "lol no" and decided to take a nice long, indulgent squat over the punch bowl

given her respective successes/failures my impression is that Kathleen Kennedy does an excellent job supporting strong directors in achieving their vision, which yields good results when she's paired with someone like Spielberg, but probably isn't an ideal fit for running a franchise like Star Wars

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

LGD posted:

I only have limited recollection/interest, but my impression was that Abrams had essentially sketched out the arc of the three movies broadly but they gave the director creative control and Johnson basically went "lol no" and decided to take a nice long, indulgent squat over the punch bowl

this is definitely the best thing that ever happened to star wars

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Mercrom posted:

this is definitely the best thing that ever happened to star wars

nah, that only works from the standpoint of "gently caress star wars"

the problem with TLJ isn't that it tears down Abrams hackish work and the edifice of Star Wars generally, it's that it does so while not replacing it with anything or demonstrating Johnson to be anything but a hack/incredibly poor filmmaker himself

the film itself is parasitic/derivative in the extreme and doesn't work (to the limited extent it can be said to) without the broader context of Star Wars, and is entirely reliant on the goodwill established towards characters by previous film(s) to get anyone to give the slightest gently caress re: what is happening onscreen (which is generally quite bad, even by the degenerate standards of the Star Wars franchise)

LGD has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Nov 20, 2019

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

i didnt watch the entirety of man in the high castle bc its boring and it bores me, but from the moments i saw while my wife was watching it, season 4 moves in a good direction insofar that theres a black communist revolution, but it's also erratic in various other ways making me believe there were issues behind the scenes. e.g. the japanese trade minister is assassinated at the beginning and you only see his bloodied glasses. the real reason he was killed was probably bc they couldnt get the actor for this season and then they had to write in a bunch of crap to fill the scenes he was supposed to bumble through.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Freaking Crumbum posted:

which one of them wanted leia to magic herself back into her space ship because, out of all the missteps, that's the one that's always stuck in my head. even as someone that has memorized an embarrassing amount of star wars trivia and is willing to suspend a lot of disbelief in service of enjoying the movie, that whole sequence was a solid "what the gently caress " moment for me

also poe's redemption for all his dumbassery should have been that he was the person to suicide strike the bad guys. i seriously do not care about him or his plotline at all and the fact that he gets to keep having second and third chances is really hardcore-to-the-mega dumb

edit: let kilo wren be the cis white dude anti-hero and just cut poe entirely from the series. poe feels like he only exists so that disney can pre-empt chuds bitching about the main characters being a woman and a black guy, which makes him completely superfluous to anything actually happening

Are you calling a Guatemalan dude white?

Freaking Crumbum posted:

"you're a colossal gently caress-up on a scale of magnitude that is difficult to over-exaggerate and your reckless actions are both wildly illegal AND have placed hundreds of innocent lives in danger. despite all that, a woman is still going to at all and i serious do not understand why anybody would want him to continue to exist in the plot. he has no connection to rey turning into kreia from kotor2 and he's been usurped from his role participating with Finn implementing luxury gay space communism by rose

He's just going to be Rey's love interest in next movie.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Forceholy posted:

He's just going to be Rey's love interest in next movie.

Poe Mengele-Eichmann

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

LGD posted:

nah, that only works from the standpoint of "gently caress star wars"

yes. its good

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Forceholy posted:

lol

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Can Star Wars have its own containment thread? lol

One thing I occasionally think about is how Roger Ebert was one of my big "smart guy with opinions" heroes back in the day but I've accepted the fact that had he lived into the Trump presidency, he would've become the exact kind of liberal that I loathe now.

I think it would have been easy for him to transition from being a gamer heel to a Berniebro heel, and stubbornly stick to the white Berniebro narrative because of his extremely online-ness. He was a pretty big admirer of Obama and seemed indifferent at best towards Rahm Emanuel's mayorship of Chicago.

Granted, the problems with his health maybe could have pushed him towards MFA. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Unsure what Ebert's essays in response to the Me Too era would have been like. Ebert was probably one of the more compartmentalized film critics when it comes to issues like "the art vs. the artist" debate.

When it comes to dealing with Trump himself, I imagine Ebert retweeting McResistance memes mostly.

Granted, none of this can be tested and this is all speculation so I'm not going to hold the hypothetical against him.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 21:01 on Nov 20, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

Can Star Wars have it's own containment thread? lol

One thing I occasionally think about is how Roger Ebert was one of my big "smart guy with opinions" heroes back in the day but I've accepted the fact that had he lived into the Trump presidency, he would've become the exact kind of liberal that I loathe now.

I think it would have been easy for him to transition from being a gamer heel to a Berniebro heel, and stubbornly stick to the white Berniebro narrative because of his extremely online-ness. He was a pretty big admirer of Obama and seemed indifferent at best towards Rahm Emanuel's mayorship of Chicago.

Granted, the problems with his health maybe could have pushed him towards MFA. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Unsure what Ebert's essays in response to the Me Too era would have been like. Ebert was probably one of the more compartmentalized film critics when it comes to issues like "the art vs. the artist" debate.

When it comes to dealing with Trump himself, I imagine Ebert retweeting McResistance memes mostly.

Granted, none of this can be tested and this is all speculation so I'm not going to hold the hypothetical against him.

sure, and lots of historically admirable people would come across as weird or reactionary if they were transported to the modern day, especially when you're assuming a decent level of diminished capacity and inclination towards being hidebound

Ebert is obviously more recent (and you're probably right about his trajectory), but tbh I wouldn't feel compelled to spend much time speculating on his hypothetical terrible twitter takes as a current media personality, rather than his actual contributions to film criticism

LGD has issued a correction as of 20:57 on Nov 20, 2019

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Forceholy posted:

i'm not trying to definitively assign a race to anyone, i'm saying the character feels pretty obviously like he exists only to pre-empt a bunch of white nerds from pooping their pampers because the main characters could easily have just been rey / finn / kilo

unless you were talking about my comments about kilo, which again, i'm not saying the actor who is playing him is white (or not, or whatever) i'm saying he can fill the brooding-troubled-anti-hero-failson trope (that is apparently required by white nerds) to be in the movie

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Serf posted:

look i get it, oscar isaac is handsome and charming, and you want him in your movie but at least give him something to do

Oscar Isaacs as Duke Leto Atreides

:vince:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Oscar Isaacs as Duke Leto Atreides

:vince:

all the casting for that movie is spot on

too bad it comes out a month after trump shellacks biden/warren/buttigieg and i won't be in the mood for movies or anything else

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I finally got around to watching Solo yesterday and it sure wasn't great but I actually liked it. It actually felt like a genuine Star Wars adventure, and the only real problems it has are the pacing and the insufferable fan service. Like yeah, I get it, that's Han's blaster from the Star Wars movies. Ok I get that's the Millenium Falcon. We all get it.

The war scenes were especially well done and really show the kind of broad range of genre you could pull off in the Star Wars setting, but instead Kathleen Kennedy is complaining about a "lack of source material."

https://twitter.com/hiattb/status/1196827544734953472?s=20

Star Wars has a more fleshed out universe than any other setting they could've possibly bought into, and they're hamstringing themselves by following a dumb corporate philosophy instead of letting creators indulge in the action/adventure schlock.

"Where getting rid of the EU. It's pointless garbage and we can come up with a much better meta."

*three years later*

"We're out of ideas! If only we had some books or comics we could adapt into some movies!"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jettisoning the EU was the correct move tho

Most of it was dogshit and you'd end up only appealing to the psychos who get mad when you change something

And there were like, degrees of things being Canon or not and it was all just a big lovely mess that the best solution to was starting over from scratch and operating on comic rules

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

the star wars setting is so robust to lengthy narratives spanning multiple films or television series, but also completely friendly to episodic content

the people in charge of running every aspect of the world are all so profoundly stupid

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 252 days!
the problem with kennedy is that she's a businesswoman, and the key to success as the business end of pop culture is being able to form and maintain a good relationship with the creative end of the equation, which i gather she is also even very good at. but once you expect the business end to be the driving force behind the creativity you've put the whole project in an impossible, doomed situation unless you have enough copyrighted material to just throw a huge budget behind a perpetual assembly line of mediocre crap

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Echo Chamber posted:

today has taught me that not even dying of loving ALS can overcome liberal brainworms

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Jettisoning the EU was the correct move tho

Most of it was dogshit and you'd end up only appealing to the psychos who get mad when you change something

And there were like, degrees of things being Canon or not and it was all just a big lovely mess that the best solution to was starting over from scratch and operating on comic rules

Sure but also just because you've made the EU non-canon doesn't mean you can't mine it for content.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It was 1999 and we as a society had not internalized the existence of trans people enough not to lose a shitload of people when Switch plugged in, very little ended up being lost and the movie still whips

If South Park's latest episode and the fact it still has a fanbase is any indication, we got a long way to go before we got full rights and acceptance.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still lots of content left in that EU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

he literally wasnt supposed to make it out of his one scene in tfa iirc, he was supposed to die but they liked oscar isaac so much that they rewrote him

they should have made Poe a series of clones

When Finn runs to greet Oscar Isaac at the resistance, just have Isaac's be really confused about why this guy is so happy to see him

thematically, i have no idea what this would do to the film, but i'm still for it