Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
just put the safehouse at some station that is obnoxiously remote (and that isn't already covered by someone else's), like Spiritualist. It's very handy to have at least one, and if you get lucky they are big Like generators

emdash fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

emdash posted:

just put the safehouse at some station that is obnoxiously remote (that isn't already covered by someone else's), like Spiritualist. It's very handy to have at least one, and if you get lucky they are big Like generators

I haven't even seen that one yet but I'll consider that.

I never really use fast travel since you can't take anything with you.

You can take your backpack and battery pack and clothes and crystals and stuff but nothing that's in the pouches?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You can take your backpack and battery pack and clothes and crystals and stuff but nothing that's in the pouches?

You get to keep your boots and exoskeleton too.

I've done it a handful of times, mostly because crafting new equipment is so easy. I don't really mind not keeping everything.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I used it for the first time when I got to Mountain Knot and was immediately sent back to South Knot for Mama and it's actually a pretty nice QoL feature. Sure you can't take anything, but that just means you need to spend a minute fabricating a quick set of gear at the other end. There's not a whole lot you've got on you that can't be replicated once you get there. If you've got minerals or lost cargo you need to take across the map, well, that's the point of the game, you've got to hoof em over there yourself. But if you just want to get from one place to another it's not bad at all.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't get the logistics of the scene where (ch4/5) Fragile is being force marched through timefall to bring a nuke...…..somewhere else? It sounds like she made a choice between two cities getting nuked but I don't understand why what she did was the better choice

Also big ups to Kojima for having the sliver of self-control required to not have that shady courier guy literally twirl a mustache while giggling and handing you a VERY DEFINITELY NOT A BOMB package.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 20, 2019

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sorry about spoiling it, whoops. It is really useful if you ever need to get all the way across the map and you don't care if you take anything with you, yeah.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't get the logistics of the scene where (ch4/5) Fragile is being force marched through timefall to bring a nuke...…..somewhere else? It sounds like she made a choice between two cities getting nuked but I don't understand why what she did was the better choice

Also big ups to Kojima for having the sliver of self-control required to not have that shady courier guy literally twirl a mustache while giggling and handing you a VERY DEFINITELY NOT A BOMB package.

IIRC the choice is between saving a second city from being nuked (one already happened) and keeping her youthful looks

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

She had a choice between jumping out to save herself and letting the nuke go off or carrying the nuke to the pit, saving everyone but loving herself up.

This is the second time Higgs tried to get her to nuke a city. She caught on to what was happening this time and tried to stop it. Previously she delivered the bomb and destroyed one of the knot cities. That’s why people distrust Fragile Express.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 20, 2019

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

She chose to carry the nuke to the bottomless tar pit and get all hosed up from the timefall, saving the city, instead of using her teleport power to escape and save herself and leaving the city to get blown up by the nuke.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Romes128 posted:

She had a choice between jumping out to save herself and letting the nuke go off or carrying the nuke to the pit, saving everyone but loving herself up

Ok so the city that she DID get nuked was a completely unrelated thing to that scene? She said something about another place where a bunch of people died but I can't recall exactly what was going on. Or have all the previous conversations about her and nuking cities been referencing this scene where she almost did, but didn't?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

emdash posted:

Sorry about spoiling it, whoops. It is really useful if you ever need to get all the way across the map and you don't care if you take anything with you, yeah.

IIRC the choice is between saving a second city from being nuked (one already happened) and keeping her youthful looks

This is what I figured after thinking about it for a while but I wasn't sure if it was right. Also big ups to Higgs for apparently attempting this same trick three times lmfao

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ok so the city that she DID get nuked was a completely unrelated thing to that scene? She said something about another place where a bunch of people died but I can't recall exactly what was going on. Or have all the previous conversations about her and nuking cities been referencing this scene where she almost did, but didn't?

I edited my post to include it. But yes. This was the second time.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If you pay really close attention to the scenery in that cutscene you will notice that it occurs in the city ruins just north of South Knot. The place that is about 100 m away from the tar lake.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I think it got missed a few pages back but can delivery bots get you to 5 stars with someone?

If so do you still get the sticker as a reward from it?

Also how long does it take for a highway to degrade and does it take the full amount of resources to rebuild it again?

That one at South knot City/Mamas place is 100% in time fall 24/7 so there's no way it's going to last that long.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The geography in this game is confusing. Is the main big map really supposed to be the entire central United States? Am I supposed to just suspend disbelief about that?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Colonel Whitey posted:

The geography in this game is confusing. Is the main big map really supposed to be the entire central United States? Am I supposed to just suspend disbelief about that?

It's social commentary on how nobody there actually matters.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

chirality

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think you're just not supposed to think too hard about it, or assume your experience is an "abbreviated" version of the actual trip.

Funnily enough Horizon Zero Dawn did the same exact thing.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Does anything happen if you don't piss?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I finally tried sending a delivery bot from SouthLake to Engineer or something and when it reported back that everything was destroyed I immediately thought of the hitchhiking robot that got destroyed in Philly.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

marktheando posted:

Does anything happen if you don't piss?
Sam gets a UTI and Deadman yells at you

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Sam gets a UTI and Deadman yells at you

I really want this to be true.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Colonel Whitey posted:

this made me think about what if it was a full-scale US but Sam was like 150 feet tall or whatever, so the game wouldn't be insanely tedious

pretty fun idea

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Here’s a fun fact I noticed watching a let’s play last night. Although, the interviews referenced Manhattan and other real cities, the names of cities that Deadman gives in cutscenes are all the names of famous meteor impact craters.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I think you're just not supposed to think too hard about it, or assume your experience is an "abbreviated" version of the actual trip.

Funnily enough Horizon Zero Dawn did the same exact thing.

Yeah it's really interesting because I feel like the rest of the game is spent, in very Kojima fashion, aggressively making all of your actions and gameplay very "literal" in a physical sense. Things that are allowed to just be understood and glossed over in other games get addressed. He tries to make the world and what you do very granular so there's not a lot of moments where you think "oh well the actual action of doing X is just represented by Y happening in the game" (like in another game if you had the option to take a shower your guy might just quickly hop in and out of a shower and we generally just agree ok that represents a shower, wherein DS Reedus does the whole thing and gets dried off in a cutscene). Your items are actual items you have to carry around, if you go to your private room on your own you get a cutscene of you going down there, if you do it while a vehicle is on the platform you get a cutscene where you see it going with you (where in another game it might just play the same "sam only" elevator cutscene while the vehicle disappears and you're left to assume it just got loaded, via game logic), etc etc. Even when it does happen that something is just "represented" in menus there's still a physical logic to it, you have to put the hover trolley on the ground before you can menu items from the truck to it, you can pick up items and walk them over to a delivery point or truck and they show up as loadable in the cargo menu. I'm sure if he had his way Kojima would have done away with the cargo menu and forced you to load everything by hand (or in the shower example if he had his way he would force you to watch Reedus strip down and then get dressed again).

But the obvious giant exception to this is the US map. Your like 10 minute on-foot journey from Knot capital westward is actually Sam going from like NYC to Columbus Ohio and it's just supposed to be understood that this is representative. It's actually so against the philosophy of the rest of the game I half expected it to get explained via some time fuckery in a codec conversation or email to at least slightly bring it in line.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 20, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DalaranJ posted:

Here’s a fun fact I noticed watching a let’s play last night. Although, the interviews referenced Manhattan and other real cities, the names of cities that Deadman gives in cutscenes are all the names of famous meteor impact craters.

I did google Vredefort and was pleasantly surprised about that being the case.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah like maybe the chirality in the air is compressing spacetime or some poo poo idk

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

all of those gigantic ghost explosions just made the country much smaller

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I also enjoy that we never have to connect Florida. gently caress Florida

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Colonel Whitey posted:

I also enjoy that we never have to connect Florida. gently caress Florida

:hmmyes:

The decision to represent it all via like....Iceland/Alaskan looking naturescapes instead of anything that even slightly resembles the American area you're in is a really odd and cool choice. Like I can imagine they worked for a long time trying to make actual representations of areas and cities and at some point someone was like "the big remote mountainous landscapes we're making look a lot better and are more fun to play in" and someone else was like "ok lets just make the whole game that then"

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 20, 2019

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

emdash posted:

I started playing on release night and was in the first 1-2% to every episode. Everything started crumbling in my game yesterday--the whole mountain region is covered in decayed structures now. It's pretty annoying

This will be the #1 reason to farm Chiral after some point. You can repair anything with it and it doesn't take up cargo space, but it costs like 750+ to go from unusable to 100% durability on a single zipline

One theory of building distribution is that you see stuff from people who are currently in the same episode you're in, so new players would see stuff from other new players (plus decayed stuff from people who saved in episode 3 and never picked up the game again, for instance)

I'm starting to believe your theory. After I went past episode 3, I started getting fewer and fewer likes per hour.

It has to make sense otherwise you'd see safe houses and trucks in episode 2 but I don't think you ever do unless you come back in episode 3 or later. And this is why nobody sees zip lines until around the time the story gives them out, which would be episode 5.

Yet another reason people should just do as much stuff in episode 3 and 5. That's where the real game is.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Kin posted:

I think it got missed a few pages back but can delivery bots get you to 5 stars with someone?

If so do you still get the sticker as a reward from it?

Also how long does it take for a highway to degrade and does it take the full amount of resources to rebuild it again?

That one at South knot City/Mamas place is 100% in time fall 24/7 so there's no way it's going to last that long.

You need to complete a delivery yourself to get the final star.

Bots are good for scraping together some extra likes, but to actually progress locations you need to do deliveries yourself.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Teleport powers are such a cop out lame story mechanic ever since the dumb parasite unit :colbert:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I was wondering if this was possible but I didn’t want to carry all them ladders.

https://youtu.be/D2b_fC947BQ

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

:hmmyes:

The decision to represent it all via like....Iceland/Alaskan looking naturescapes instead of anything that even slightly resembles the American area you're in is a really odd and cool choice. Like I can imagine they worked for a long time trying to make actual representations of areas and cities and at some point someone was like "the big remote mountainous landscapes we're making look a lot better and are more fun to play in" and someone else was like "ok lets just make the whole game that then"

I doubt it ever got to that stage, iirc Kojima took a trip to a Iceland and listened to a bunch of Low Roar and wanted to create a carbon copy of that experience. But he also wanted to have it set in America and tell some bonkers story about reconnecting and ghosts so he went “porque no los dos”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i quoted this earlier this week but gently caress it, it's still a lovely encapsulation of the actual american midwest

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I'm pretty sure a dude wrote a travel book 100 years ago and came to the conclusion that the land itself was blighted and evil, but wasn't sure if the people poisoned it or it poisoned them

I specifically remember his depiction of this one kind of brick, and how the soot from the mills stained it to the color of infected bile, and nobody ever cleaned it off, and why would they because the next day it would be back even worse, and the air smells like slag, and the architecture itself reflects a sickness of the soul, a world without an idea of beauty or good, and the windows of the houses peered back like the orbits of the already dead. The text seemed so lurid but apprehensive, he had to leave you could see it.

One time I was driving thru Ohio and there were unending miles of disused rail and telegraph lines like huge crosses -- eerily pagan seeming, miles of memorials for unknown monsters -- and nobody took any of it down after it went obsolete or ever will. Wood that should have rotted away but refuses. Broken caps of ceramic insulators. Train station with every window stabbed out.

And hedge shrines but not wholesome: rain wet teddy bears and dead flowers and crosses that are far smaller and somehow far more brittle and disintegrating and worm eaten, all together at the end of tire marks that go off the road to where the vegetation burned off and still won't grow again.

Ohio is too often like if magical realism was real, it's like if there was a house where the walls are completely filled with insect hives that stop just at the lead paint, but it's a whole state. Not that long ago some kids were playing with their dog in the park and it came back with an unfamiliar ball -- a human skull tinted dark dark brown by years in the soil. Something's working without end right under the surface and human dignity isn't a part of its design.

You can be in Ohio and choose to look away but it's permeated everything. If you had walked a few more paces off the road you could have fallen into the cellar of some long gone homestead that never had a chance to be on a map. I know people who years ago were in the same situation and literally fell into a graveyard with unreadable tombstones, and the graves had sunken into hollows in the land, in Ohio.

It is no surprise to me that before uncle Sam there were all kinds of hosed up myths about skin walkers, or wendingos, or what the gently caress ever. Some places just aren't well. I think it was somewhere in Ohio where a dude had kept abducted women in his basement for years and his wife and kids were fine with it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Oxxidation posted:

i quoted this earlier this week but gently caress it, it's still a lovely encapsulation of the actual american midwest

Wait, what is this? Who wrote this?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

marktheando posted:

I really want this to be true.
You unlock enhanced (with blood) piss grenades.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

American McGay posted:

You unlock enhanced (with blood) piss grenades.

1) I'm not 100% sure you're joking
2) If you are joking this would have been real if anyone had thought of it during development.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Oxxidation posted:

Man I really want to know what that book was.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If you have a really long distance to traverse and nothing much to do in between then there's almost no reason not to just fast travel. With there exception of chiralium, you should have more than enough resources to craft whatever you need at your destination. And since you bring your chiralium with you resources are no concern. You can refill all of your pouches at your destination because blood is infinite apparently.