Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When people with puny handguns keep shooting at the thing that is either obviously or has proven to be impervious to things much more powerful than some bullets. If you see a thing withstand basically every conventional weapon, just run, don't keep futilely shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Hate watching Wynonna Earp and I hate how these Canadian Buffy the Vampire Slayer rip-offs...do pretty much everything but everything about they do with Romance is especially horrendous.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When people with puny handguns keep shooting at the thing that is either obviously or has proven to be impervious to things much more powerful than some bullets. If you see a thing withstand basically every conventional weapon, just run, don't keep futilely shooting.

At the very least, throw the gun at it and make it duck. Worked on 50s superman, might work on whatever that thing is.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Zaphod42 posted:

All this Last Action Hero talk just reminded me of the movie Sidekicks with Chuck Norris, which I think the universe has forgotten existed.

Hollywood really loves to copy each other's ideas huh (forget the term for this)

I loved Sidekicks for the same reason I rewatched seaQuest once a year for a decade whether I liked it or not (RIP Jonathan Brandis) and looking back on it with 2019 knowledge of Chuck Norris is pretty cringy

also don't forget Rodney Dangerfield and Jackee Harris were in it

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Apart from the already mentioned "I just killed a man, and I did it on purpose!" scene, my favourite part of Last Action Hero is when movie Arnold goes back to his lovely one bedroom apartment, casually shoots the ninja hiding in his closet, and then tells the kid how pathetic his life really is, (his ex wife has moved on, he is racked with grief and guilt about his dead son, he feels bad about his daughter knowing how to field strip a rifle etc.)

When the kid asks how he knew there would be a guy in his closet and he sadly says "there's always a guy" :smith:

Reader, I cried with him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Murtaugh should be suffering PTSD every time he walks into his kitchen after the bloodbath that occurred there in the first Lethal Weapon.

How the hell could you keep living in that house with your wife and kids after dozens of people have been murdered in it? They finally burn the loving thing down by the fourth one.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well forget about selling it with that history

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How the hell could you keep living in that house with your wife and kids after dozens of people have been murdered in it? They finally burn the loving thing down by the fourth one.

Do not forget toilet bomb

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Look they've only got a few years of payments left and moving would just be a huge hassle.

Also no one would buy a mega murder house for it's actual worth so they'd have to downgrade to something much cheaper.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
I disliked the Lighthouse. The entire time I was watching, it felt like I was back in high school english class reading a inscrutable story.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

I liked the part where it addresses how utterly emotionally crippled every action hero would be in the real world. This is a bad example because he's supposed to be crazy, but I was watching Lethal Weapon 2 over the weekend and Riggs should probably be curled up crying in the shower.

Riggs spent much of the first movie doibg that though. If I remembers correctly he literally put a gun In his mouth at one point and tries to find the courage to pull the trigger.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
The Purge in general is just a giant IIMM, but I've just started watching Season 2 of the Amazon Prime series and how the hell do you live a $1mil house with full perimeter barricades and you don't think about
taking a nice vacation during Purge night outside of the Purge zone? Or even better, why don't you just move to Canada :v:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Everything about the Purge franchise is dumb as gently caress but it's heart is in the right place.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The Terminator series is really guilty about this but I see it in other mainstream films all the time. Both points are in regards to something super-powerful relative to normal human anatomy, totally uninhibited, and whose singular goal is to kill a particular target...

...and yet they decide to throw their defenseless target around the room harmlessly, walking slowly to wherever they threw them to do it again when they could easily crush/impale/tear them apart once they have them restrained the first time

...or they have their super-powered/robot hand around the neck of their target, utilizing maybe 1% of its total constriction capacity for reasons? because their normal human target is struggling valiantly instead of instantly being turned into a human tetherball

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only time it really made sense in Terminator was in Salvation where he was beating the crap out of Conner. I just got the sense that the skynet AI was loving pissed about how off the reservation Whitey McProtag had gotten and was just loving sick and tired of all the weird poo poo, so she wanted him to suffer a bit before she ended him.

The rest of the time (like in Genesys) they were just straight up trying to murder them with spikes or something.

The new movie BIG OL SPOILER solves your problem though, pretty quickly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

God Hole posted:

The Terminator series is really guilty about this but I see it in other mainstream films all the time. Both points are in regards to something super-powerful relative to normal human anatomy, totally uninhibited, and whose singular goal is to kill a particular target...

...and yet they decide to throw their defenseless target around the room harmlessly, walking slowly to wherever they threw them to do it again when they could easily crush/impale/tear them apart once they have them restrained the first time

...or they have their super-powered/robot hand around the neck of their target, utilizing maybe 1% of its total constriction capacity for reasons? because their normal human target is struggling valiantly instead of instantly being turned into a human tetherball

I think this is part of a bigger problem which is just bad fight choreography. Movies are full of it. Like the star wars battle where the throne guards just stand around waiting for Rey to take turns hitting them. Its bad choreography.

You could come up with fight sequences where Terminators do everything they can to try to kill someone, but due to the circumstances the person gets away. But they're too lazy so they just have them do something stupid that lets the protagonist get away.

Its the action version of someone doing something totally out of character because the plot needs it.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

what also comes to mind is brainwashed metal arm guy in the avengers who chokes a bunch of normal people at random points when on a murderous rampage and they all just need a sec to walk it off, instead of ya know having their larynx crushed irreversibly like a candy wrapper

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If robots and superheroes fought like chimpanzees then movies would be a lot shorter. Just go for the eyes already.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Maybe he figures that with all the poo poo he’s gotten through in that house without a scratch, as long as he’s within its walls, he’s invincible.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
In the opening of Iron Man 2, Tony air drops from a plane above the event he shows up to.

Why? He can fly. It makes for a cool scene but doesn’t make any sense

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Are you saying Tony Stark wouldn't do something JUST because it was cool?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

Are you saying Tony Stark wouldn't do something JUST because it was cool?

Fair enough

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I think at that point he was mainlining the green stuff to keep from getting Arc Reactor poisoning too, so he was being conservative with his flight time.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
More of a RIMM, but in Bloodfist, Don “The Dragon” Wilson’s character has been drugged right before the final fight, and he’s able to shake off being drugged as soon as the backstory leading to his betrayal is explained to him.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

You know how ultron and venom talked? Who thinks that is a cool funny way to talk? Can we please never do that again? It's just dumb for a super advanced AI or an alien to talk in a gravelly robot voice but instead of saying anything meaningful it is just a smug and/or foul mouthed teenager.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Related, I'm sad this isn't actual Ultron dialogue from the film:

https://youtu.be/Tf-_230SjbM

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

You know how ultron and venom talked? Who thinks that is a cool funny way to talk? Can we please never do that again? It's just dumb for a super advanced AI or an alien to talk in a gravelly robot voice but instead of saying anything meaningful it is just a smug and/or foul mouthed teenager.

TBF, in Ultron's case he literally learned all about culture and basically Earth just by being on the internet.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

He's also Tony's "Son"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ultron is an incel

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
In retrospect, the title Avengers: Age of Ultron was a little grandiose. Maybe Avengers: Week of Ultron? Avengers: The Days of Ultron?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Olaf The Stout posted:

In retrospect, the title Avengers: Age of Ultron was a little grandiose. Maybe Avengers: Week of Ultron? Avengers: The Days of Ultron?

Ultron's Long Weekend Backpacking in Sokovia

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Ultron's Long Weekend Backpacking in Sokovia

A weekend at Ultron's

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Afriscipio posted:

A weekend at Ultron's

I prefer Weekend at Ultron's II.

He's still Ultron, but if you play Calypso music he dances.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Olaf The Stout posted:

It's called Age of Ultron because the entire runtime of the film is Ultron's age.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Could you imagine an irritation more irrational than James Spader's voice.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

You would think with so much improvement in CGI and special effects in general, horror movies would have gotten even more scary. But the new IT movies are proof that they haven't figured out how to use it to make scary things. The garage scene and the weird dancing part in the first one, the old lady in the kitchen and the bug babies in the second one...it's more funny than scary.

They should have left the TV miniseries as it was. It wasn't perfect and the acting was pretty bad, but it was fine. When I first saw that it made me want to read the book. These reboots just don't seem to "get" it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

You would think with so much improvement in CGI and special effects in general, horror movies would have gotten even more scary. But the new IT movies are proof that they haven't figured out how to use it to make scary things. The garage scene and the weird dancing part in the first one, the old lady in the kitchen and the bug babies in the second one...it's more funny than scary.

They should have left the TV miniseries as it was. It wasn't perfect and the acting was pretty bad, but it was fine. When I first saw that it made me want to read the book. These reboots just don't seem to "get" it.

The problem is with improved CGI they show more, so it leaves less to your imagination. That makes for an overall less scary experience.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The IT miniseries is really dire aside from Curry's performance.

The first film is a much better version of the same story even if it's overly reliant on "clown runs toward camera screaming" for scares.

The second part not so much.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It would have worked much better as a miniseries. Jump scares and gross-out don’t compare to the characterization and metaphysics of the book.

They’d still need to cut the pre-teen sewer gangbang though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

The IT miniseries is really dire aside from Curry's performance.

The first film is a much better version of the same story even if it's overly reliant on "clown runs toward camera screaming" for scares.

The second part not so much.

I would argue the first is only better in production value compared to the miniseries. Modern hollywood just doesn't seem to "get" stephen king villains, like how they totally miswrote walter in the dreadful dark tower movie. Tim curry's pennywise felt a lot more like the book version. The new one is more like "what if we made him more dark and twizted". Even if King has given it his stamp of approval, that's just because he's not on drugs anymore and got his brain jostled in the accident.