Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I'd love to see a stat like "399,478 ml blood expended" on the end game stat screen, because man, I splashed a lot of blood around like it was Splatoon. Maybe it's in the Bridge Link menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I got the zipline and have been having a lot of fun scooting around and not doing the plot. I have a few questions though before I head West into the mountains.

1) Is bandwidth measured on a region-by-region basis or is it global? If I go back to the chapter two area could I set up a whole suite of ziplines there?

2) Is it safe to remove remote preppers like, say, the Film Director or the Chiral Artist from the zipline network if I have them at five stars/their standard missions only go to other five-starred locations?

3) Is there an easy way on the map to toggle structures I've built and structures other people have built? I want to tear down some old bridges and things so I can build more ziplines but I don't necessarily want to wade through everything on there.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Do we know yet what the black strands towards the sky are? they seem to be connected to BT areas, of course, but also seem to be different to each player. Is it where another player got dragged to a BT boss on that same server?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Is the Timefall Porter drink that replaces your Monster Energy drink supposed to be beer, water or another kind of energy drink?

Edit: I assume it's beer because they grow wheat at the farm and the can kind of looks like a beer but then why would it keep giving you a stamina boost?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_(beer)

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Archyduchess posted:

I got the zipline and have been having a lot of fun scooting around and not doing the plot. I have a few questions though before I head West into the mountains.

1) Is bandwidth measured on a region-by-region basis or is it global? If I go back to the chapter two area could I set up a whole suite of ziplines there?

2) Is it safe to remove remote preppers like, say, the Film Director or the Chiral Artist from the zipline network if I have them at five stars/their standard missions only go to other five-starred locations?

3) Is there an easy way on the map to toggle structures I've built and structures other people have built? I want to tear down some old bridges and things so I can build more ziplines but I don't necessarily want to wade through everything on there.

1. Map by map
2. They will have orders for areas that aren't at 5 stars yet, though I'm not sure if you will get few enough orders from other locations for it to matter.
3. Your icons on the map are blue, other people's property is green.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
This game has me perfectly torn between transporting truckloads of soil over mountains at 5mph for hours on end and pushing the story ahead.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh yeah what do people eat post DS? How do you farm poo poo with ghosts running around? Isn't it all contaminated with ghost poo that's highly toxic?

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
If you have to choose between making a long trip with a truck or multiple trips with a zip for a big order what do you usually do? Let's say South Knot to Mt Knot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh yeah what do people eat post DS? How do you farm poo poo with ghosts running around? Isn't it all contaminated with ghost poo that's highly toxic?

the KNOT cities probably have hydroponic farms that use the same principal as the Timefall Farm for rapid food growth

supplement with floating giant tardigrades as needed

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAcymz5dcwA

So dead bodies do become BTs complete with animation, and have to find and eat a living person

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Modest Mao posted:

So dead bodies do become BTs complete with animation, and have to find and eat a living person

It doesn't eat anyone at 4:00 but there is a voidfall whats going on?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

1. Map by map
2. They will have orders for areas that aren't at 5 stars yet, though I'm not sure if you will get few enough orders from other locations for it to matter.
3. Your icons on the map are blue, other people's property is green.

Awesome, thank you.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

the KNOT cities probably have hydroponic farms that use the same principal as the Timefall Farm for rapid food growth

supplement with floating giant tardigrades as needed

Also, the population level is staggering low. I think some email said capital knot was about 47k people.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Shaocaholica posted:

Ch4/5-ish - there's a farm in the very south of the central region that uses timefall to accelerate harvests, they grow wheat and maybe other stuff? There's also a mission around this time where you deliver some like nutrition paste to a mountainous waystation. And there's always the giant waterbears that float around everywhere.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Thundercracker posted:

Also, the population level is staggering low. I think some email said capital knot was about 47k people.

Yeah there's either an email or codec convo where they say the population is so low that no one is in danger of starving anymore.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Thundercracker posted:

It shows the population of a location as you approach it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Thundercracker posted:

Population scale discussion: I'm pretty sure the small map is a direct result of the Stranding as well. They kind of imply that spacetime is all kinds of screwed up, and the map scaling is less metaphorical and more "no the world's pretty messed up right now, it's physically getting smaller thanks to the chiral network". (Spoiled because I've seen people talk about this before and I think only the ending of the game backs up my theory.)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thundercracker posted:

That's still a lot of mouths to feed when you have limited resources and splosion ghosts roaming around.

I'm still in a dream,
Snake Eater...
Someday, you go, through the rain
Someday, you feed, on a tree frog
This ordeal, the trial to survive
For the day, we see new light.!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Probably already posted, but again.
From The Onion

quote:

After years of hype, Hideo Kojima’s latest mind-bending odyssey is finally out. But as is typical for the gaming auteur’s unique work, there’s tons you need to know before embarking on this epic adventure. Here are OGN’s tips for getting started on Death Stranding.

You start the game as Sam Bridges, but note that a few hours into the experience, you’ll switch over to the sword-wielding soldier Raiden for the remainder of the storyline.

As you try to balance several packages on your back using the shoulder triggers, try not to think too hard about how this game could have been Silent Hills instead.

If you ever find yourself stuck, press the L3 button and the next time you fall asleep, Hideo Kojima will appear to you in a nightmare and help guide you through the experience.

Keeping track of the story’s overt references to Trump and a fractured America will help remind you that escapism is a lie and no video game can save you from our hellish reality.

To keep track of the story, take note when you meet Heartman, Deadman, and Die-Hardman, which are just some of the actual character names landed upon during a four-year development process.

Anytime you find yourself not enjoying the storyline, we recommend being less of an idiot. The problem is not the game; it’s you.

With that said, you can safely take a bathroom break at 1:31:58 in the first cutscene without missing much.

Keep your eyes peeled for an Easter egg cameo appearance from Hideo Kojima’s childhood friend, a 70-pound granite boulder.

Make sure to care for the “BB”—or Bridge Baby—strapped to your chest by giving him 3 to 4 ounces of formula every two hours, making sure he gets three naps a day, changing diapers as needed, soothing him by singing softly, and making steady contributions to his 529 college fund.

Finally, never forget that gaming is about the emotions you experience and not the buttons you press, or some bullshit like that.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Modest Mao posted:

That's nuts that it's actually mechanically in the game. I just wish the dead bodies spazzed out like the one in the intro.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

In Episode/Chapter 8, coming towards the end of it I think. What's up with the BTs that are orange/gold and the ones that are ginormous.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The video doesn't show it, but does it leave a crater?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

As you try to balance several packages on your back using the shoulder triggers, try not to think too hard about how this game could have been Silent Hills instead.

lmfao

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

The video doesn't show it, but does it leave a crater?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kSGEjLzcTY

You have to get eaten by one of the monsters, it seems. I wonder if you could destroy the entire map doing this.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I'm like 20 hours in and I only just realized I've been reading "hematic grenade" as "hermetic grenade" this whole time.

OF COURSE, it's hematic! It's a blood grenade!

:doh:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Taintrunner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kSGEjLzcTY

You have to get eaten by one of the monsters, it seems. I wonder if you could destroy the entire map doing this.

what the

I thought they said it wasn't possible for Sam to trigger a void out, that's why they like using him so much.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Intel&Sebastian posted:

what the

I thought they said it wasn't possible for Sam to trigger a void out, that's why they like using him so much.

Much much smaller voidout

Priestly
Apr 26, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He still triggers them, but they are smaller in scale and being a repatriate means that he isn't killed dead permanently.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nah, he still causes voidouts, but one of the early interviews gets into how the voidouts of repatriates are smaller because most of the energy is diverted to the seam, or the beach I forget which.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
huh cool

Without spoiling anything too hard, does the game ever incentivize you back into walking around doing stuff or have I spoiled myself rotten by driving a truck everywhere now? I have ziplines but I haven't played with them at all yet and I thought maybe that's how they get you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
BT miniboss battles only happen in designated areas so you don’t destroy story-critical areas

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

huh cool

Without spoiling anything too hard, does the game ever incentivize you back into walking around doing stuff or have I spoiled myself rotten by driving a truck everywhere now? I have ziplines but I haven't played with them at all yet and I thought maybe that's how they get you.

ziplines are for mountainous regions and yes, they will soon consume your entire life

i'm setting up ziplines with painstaking inch-by-inch precision like i'm assembling a loving ship in a bottle

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Intel&Sebastian posted:

huh cool

New areas need you to walk because you need to connect them to the network before you can have roads and zippies

There are a few missions where you have to walk despite having roads and zippies

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Oxxidation posted:

i'm setting up ziplines with painstaking inch-by-inch precision like i'm assembling a loving ship in a bottle

Managing to connect four lines because there’s one square inch of buildable space on a mound is :chefkiss:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Steve Yun posted:

New areas need you to walk because you need to connect them to the network before you can have roads and zippies

There are a few missions where you have to walk despite having roads and zippies

There's not a lot of network to Lockne's station that Mama sends you to and I still drove the whole way and back though.

Hell I'm driving through BT areas now too and have only had it go truly disastrous once. Especially now that I can get out and shoot the dumb things to uh...death.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Taintrunner posted:

The BTs only show up in very specific places because the craters are all pre-made cut-outs. Since you can't go into the craters made by a void-out, you're essentially wiping that BT encounter off the map. Essentially, if you play poorly and don't reload your saves, you make the game easier because you reduce your BT encounters but make it harder because you have to go around the crater.

In other words: No, you can't destroy the whole map because the 1: The craters aren't programmatically generated, they're built by hand just like the rest of the map and 2: You eventually wouldn't be able to encounter more BTs to create more craters anyway.

I am looking forward to seeing a video of someone creating every crater possible and showing off what some of the weirder areas look like and what the map looks like.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

DaveKap posted:

The BTs only show up in very specific places because the craters are all pre-made cut-outs. Since you can't go into the craters made by a void-out, you're essentially wiping that BT encounter off the map. Essentially, if you play poorly and don't reload your saves, you make the game easier because you reduce your BT encounters but make it harder because you have to go around the crater.

In other words: No, you can't destroy the whole map because the 1: The craters aren't programmatically generated, they're built by hand just like the rest of the map and 2: You eventually wouldn't be able to encounter more BTs to create more craters anyway.

I am looking forward to seeing a video of someone creating every crater possible and showing off what some of the weirder areas look like and what the map looks like.

As demonstrated in that video though, you can create BTs anywhere you please by leaving a dead body there. The video doesn't show what happens after the ensuing voidout but I'm guessing they just don't leave craters for practical reasons.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

huh cool

If you enjoy seeing how far the occasionally wonky vehicle physics can be pushed, no not really. The mountain is the big "walk here and set up zip lines" area, but the number of abandoned trucks in silly areas shows how far a creative player can get.

Near the very end there are some mechanic/map design elements that force you to go on foot more than one might want, but that's the worst I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
There are a bunch of lategame orders that are hundreds of kilos of gear, or times when you just say "gently caress it" and take two dozen orders all the way from South Knot to Mountain Knot at the same time, and all the ziplines in the world won't help you then.