Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
anything where you have to transport >330kg to a place not easily reachable by truck is going to involve walking (with floating carriers)

I was only strictly required to do that ~twice, but the quests are out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Oxxidation posted:

ziplines are for mountainous regions and yes, they will soon consume your entire life

i'm setting up ziplines with painstaking inch-by-inch precision like i'm assembling a loving ship in a bottle

why can't i connect 2 level two ziplines 400m apart dammit?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Could always take small loads back and forth with a zip line, as long as you don't have to travel more than 700m or whatever the despawning distance exactly is. And you could just slap a mailbox down to ensure it doesn't happen.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I escaped the thread because y'all play the game faster than me and I didn't want to be spoiled but do we have a gang tag yet?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spite posted:

why can't i connect 2 level two ziplines 400m apart dammit?

Because they're both 50m outside the max range of the other.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
How does the whole friending system in this game work? Can you strand up with people on your friends list or is it always randos? My wife started another game under a different account name, could we put those together and do double duty on roads?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Triarii posted:

As demonstrated in that video though, you can create BTs anywhere you please by leaving a dead body there. The video doesn't show what happens after the ensuing voidout but I'm guessing they just don't leave craters for practical reasons.

You just get a game over if a voidout happens.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Thundercracker posted:

Ahh, totally forgot about that bit. A lot was happening during the end exposition dumps.

Another question: Did they ever explain why the Timefall was happening? It just seems disconnected to the other aspects of the Death Stranding.

I don't think they every explicitly spell it out. But it probably something to do with how time works on the beach and it's leaking into the physical world along with the BTs? Seems like a good enough explanation.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I beat the game and want to make sure I understand one of the plot points at the end (big endgame spoiler DO NOT READ if you aren't done)

Your BB turns out to just be some random BB, right? It isn't Cliff's baby after all? Or are you carrying yourself around in baby form the whole game? I'm guessing not since I assume "Louise" means the baby is a girl.

And then if that's the case, why does Cliff spend the first few encounters hunting down BB instead of you? In the WWII beach, he's explicitly hunting down Deadman because he's carrying the BB, if I'm remembering it right. And the cutscene at the end of the game seems to imply that Cliff is cool with Amelie taking care of his baby, so what sets him off on his revenge quest anyway? Just sort of general ghost PTSD?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I beat the game and want to make sure I understand one of the plot points at the end (big endgame spoiler DO NOT READ if you aren't done)

Your BB turns out to just be some random BB, right? It isn't Cliff's baby after all? Or are you carrying yourself around in baby form the whole game? I'm guessing not since I assume "Louise" means the baby is a girl.

And then if that's the case, why does Cliff spend the first few encounters hunting down BB instead of you? In the WWII beach, he's explicitly hunting down Deadman because he's carrying the BB, if I'm remembering it right. And the cutscene at the end of the game seems to imply that Cliff is cool with Amelie taking care of his baby, so what sets him off on his revenge quest anyway? Just sort of general ghost PTSD?

Yes, Sam is Cliff's BB, BB-28 is totally unrelated. The twist is you're lead to believe Sam has been seeing Lou's memories during the elevator rides, but its really Lou seeing Sam's. Cliff doesn't realize until the end because he's just a restless wandering spirit that "wants his BB back", and a BB is the form he expects to find it in, but when Sam finally lets him see Lou he's uninterested in her

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

I don't think they every explicitly spell it out. But it probably something to do with how time works on the beach and it's leaking into the physical world along with the BTs? Seems like a good enough explanation.

Timefall is caused by chiral matter in the atmosphere and radiation combining. It’s in an interview from Heartman.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ainsley McTree posted:

Later game BB stuff: Did Cliff actually go after Deadman? He seemed to get away pretty easily for the BB handoff. I think it was definitely trying to get you to think BB-28 was Sam though right up to the end.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

To add to the others, Cliff is being manipulated by Amelie's nihilism much of the game the same way Higgs is. You're not really seeing a rational Cliff until the Vietnam scene end where some part of Cliff obviously realizes the truth.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man. I can definitely play a Strandlike or a Death Stranding 2 (with maybe a whole new story and setting Final Fantasy style).

Like, this is my GOTY for sure but I'd love more options and vehicles in the game, plus more hazards and obstacles. Bigger and more insane deliveries. Basically more stuff.

Like, imagine Death Stranding + Stalker. Trying to deliver packages while avoiding anomalies and wild beasts.

I really hope that just like P.T. it spawns a new genre.

Which is super funny considering P.T. itself inspired a huge wave of horror walking simulators.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
There’s a mission to get from the engineer to the weather station with 16 large packages totalling 588 kg with a timer.

I have no idea how to S rank the premium. Highwaying it as close as possible then jumping back and forth a few times on a zipline from the road to the station took over 8 minutes which is only an A. Maybe I should just make a bunch of bridges and power the truck up.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

You should be able to drive up the hill on the Timefall Farm side, can't see it taking more than 3-4 minutes tops.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Do outpost resources accumulate in real time? Played time? When you make deliveries?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Later game BB stuff: Did Cliff actually go after Deadman? He seemed to get away pretty easily for the BB handoff. I think it was definitely trying to get you to think BB-28 was Sam though right up to the end.

Oh I spoke clumsily: I didn't mean that Deadman was his target, just that he targeted him initially with the cyclone on the mountain because he had BB. If he knew that Sam was his son, he would have just hit Sam again, but as you say, once Deadman hands off BB he shifts his sights again.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Finally, the story of Death Stranding can be told

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sam held L2 and R2 as he walked up the hill, preventing him from losing his balance.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The MGS novelizations were hilariously terrible so I look forward to seeing the good snippets of this one.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

emdash posted:

anything where you have to transport >330kg to a place not easily reachable by truck is going to involve walking (with floating carriers)

I was only strictly required to do that ~twice, but the quests are out there

Yeah and I intentionally don't do those, like carrying 1000 KG to the weather station full of BTs is just :fuckoff:

With about 600+ quests, you can safely just not do a lot of them

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Sam. This is Die Hardman," Die Hardman said for the tenth time in the past hour

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The MGS novelizations were hilariously terrible so I look forward to seeing the good snippets of this one.

Sam smirked as he lofted the package right into the MULE's stunned gawping face. "Heh, special delivery," he said, tipping his BRIDGES hat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
“Is that a package, or are you just happy to see me?” Fragile asked, as she walked sexily onto Sam’s room

“It is a package. And it’s got your name written all over it” he replied, sexily.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah and I intentionally don't do those, like carrying 1000 KG to the weather station full of BTs is just :fuckoff:

With about 600+ quests, you can safely just not do a lot of them

Do you mean the Wind Farm? Because the Weather Station's nowhere near any BT areas.

And you can just zoom right the gently caress over that whole lovely forest with a single Zipline if you upgrade one of the stations and get your angles juuust right.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I had to pass through a BT area to get to the Weather Station from South Distro. The second time I went there I swung farther south and approached from the SE to avoid it

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yeah, there's a pretty busy BT area down the cliffs to the east southeast of the weather station.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you mean the Wind Farm? Because the Weather Station's nowhere near any BT areas.

And you can just zoom right the gently caress over that whole lovely forest with a single Zipline if you upgrade one of the stations and get your angles juuust right.

I was very pleased with myself when I managed to slam a single zipline near the middle of that forest so I could zip through it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a big BT zone northeast-ish from the Weather Station. It's on the way between there and the Southern Distro Center. I have seen it clear up so you can safely traverse it, but most of the time you'll definitely run into BT's there.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Thundercracker posted:

Man. I can definitely play a Strandlike or a Death Stranding 2 (with maybe a whole new story and setting Final Fantasy style).

Like, this is my GOTY for sure but I'd love more options and vehicles in the game, plus more hazards and obstacles. Bigger and more insane deliveries. Basically more stuff.

Like, imagine Death Stranding + Stalker. Trying to deliver packages while avoiding anomalies and wild beasts.

I really hope that just like P.T. it spawns a new genre.

Which is super funny considering P.T. itself inspired a huge wave of horror walking simulators.

I fully expect a lot of the mechanics in this game to show up in a few years in other big titles. Just like how Ocarina of time and many other late 90s games had sneaking levels exactly like metal gear.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Metal Gear Solid invented stealth.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Excuse me y'all forgetting Tom Clancy invented Stealth.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

American McGay posted:

Metal Gear Solid invented stealthTactical Espionage Action.

fixed

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I didn't say solid, and I think (based on no research) it was the first game where there's a maze and you have to pay attention to guard's paths and which direction they are looking, 1987

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Ahh yes that's why all those late 90s games decided in unison to cop a gameplay mechanic from a 1987 MSX game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The delivery where you pick up "Tactical Action Games" for the Collector by infiltrating a MULE camp had me chuckling. I'm glad Kojima still has at least some self awareness buried deep down in him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shoren posted:

There's a big BT zone northeast-ish from the Weather Station. It's on the way between there and the Southern Distro Center. I have seen it clear up so you can safely traverse it, but most of the time you'll definitely run into BT's there.

Rebuild the road south from the Distribution Center South of Lake Knot City until it swings east over the river, drive south onto the dirt, then look west and you'll see a nice safe slope that goes right up to the front door of the Weather Station. Might need a bridge to make getting to it easier if someone hasn't set one up already, but it's a safe route.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I was very pleased with myself when I managed to slam a single zipline near the middle of that forest so I could zip through it.

When you're at the top of the cliff facing the Wind Farm, set a Zipline up on the ledge to your right where it raises up bit on rough terrain (it should still have LOS down the hill from here). Upgrade it to Lvl 2. You can drop a receiving station right at the border of the Wind Farm for a straight line to the front door. and bypass the BT's altogether.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 21, 2019

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When you're at the top of the cliff facing the Weather Station, set a Zipline up on the ledge to your right where it raises up bit on rough terrain (it should still have LOS down the hill from here). Upgrade it to Lvl 2. You can drop a receiving station right at the border of the Weather Station for a straight line to the front door. and bypass the BT's altogether.

Oh, I have another zipline at the end near the Wind Farm. I don't set foot in the forest at all. I'll give yours a try tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

American McGay posted:

Ahh yes that's why all those late 90s games decided in unison to cop a gameplay mechanic from a 1987 MSX game.

Uh apparently so. Tenchu, MGS and Thief all came out within months of each other.