Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
My Stadia arrived! I'd love to tell you how good it is, but apparently 5 months isn't enough time to send out an unlock code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Uh yeah, my Chromecast Ultra has been plugged in for 30 minutes.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

uvar posted:

hostile apostle, you've mentioned you've tried a few different games. I assume you're not a reviewer and didn't get anything for free, so how much would you say you've spent on Stadia and its games so far?

I bought GRID Ultimate and AC:O - so $85 + $30 + $129 for the bundle = $244

Also, no tax in CA on software as a service - so Stadia games are actually cheaper :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Okay so playing it through the controller instead of PC is a huge goddamn difference. However, there seems to be a reason for that and it's a massive uptick in data usage:

It was 30-something for you when streaming to the PC, right? Maybe they just compress it a lot less when streaming to the Chromecast.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just lol..

Stadia games are cheaper becsue no tax.
I'm pretty sure stretch Armstrong can't even stretch that far..

cams
Mar 28, 2003

that grid game is $35 on steam

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lmfao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bofast posted:

It was 30-something for you when streaming to the PC, right? Maybe they just compress it a lot less when streaming to the Chromecast.

Yeah 32-35 but the visual quality was significantly worse - blurry, lower fps, etc. It's clear the "proper" way to play is on the controller, but yeah it's not gonna blow anyone out of the water if you have to be down the road from a googleplex and also on a 150mbit connection and also not sharing that connection with something else.

Idk if a clip saves at the quality I'd be seeing but I'll give it a whirl.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

cams posted:

that grid game is $35 on steam

If you actually take a second to read you'd see I didn't buy the base version, but Ultimate... but yes its temporarily on sale right now on Steam for $55 but normal price is $80+tax for GRID Ultimate Edition so not much different (Steam would be higher absent the sale). Stadia will have sales too but I don't want to wait.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 21, 2019

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

I didn't buy the base version..., but yes its on sale right now on Steam for $55 but normal price is $80+tax for GRID Ultimate Edition so not much different.

So you do work for google/stadia in some form right? You're just here promoting the product while not telling anyone about your association and thus your bias? I'm trying to wrap my head around your posting and this is the only context that makes any sense at all.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hostile apostle posted:

If you actually take a second to read you'd see I didn't buy the base version, but Ultimate... but yes its temporarily on sale right now on Steam for $55 but normal price is $80+tax for GRID Ultimate Edition so not much different (Steam would be higher absent the sale). Stadia will have sales too but I don't want to wait.
my b. $37.92 on g2a.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

hostile apostle posted:

I called him a liar because he was?? And that makes me biased?

Nothing I said was about me disagreeing with him. It was about pointing out his review was poo poo. He didnt even make an effort to review it, what is there to disagree with?

Regrettable posted:

You apparently knew nothing about this person previously and are saying that you can conclusively say that his intent is to deceive people rather than that he simply made a mistake. What are you basing this on?

Still waiting on a response.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

hostile apostle posted:

Dude I bought into stadia hype and I think every single defense you've had since I've been reading this thread have been gigantic leaps in reasoning.

Please just admit you get paid per post.. honestly I think we'd think higher of you if you were a shill.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

cams posted:

my b. $37.92 on g2a.

And $72.24 w/ PS pro discount on PS4 - yea not all store fronts are gonna have the same price. Don't see you taking a poo poo in the PS4 thread about how you found a cheaper price elsewhere.

The fact that its $38 on some shady steam key site doesn't mean I can play it on my lovely gaming PC at 4K. Yet, with Stadia I can. I'm also traveling home next week for Thanksgiving and all I have to bring with me is a controller to play with my family on their Chromecast. No huge box to lug around. Thats worth a few extra dollars to me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Not gonna lie it's impressive from a "huh a $150 controller-as-console does this well" stance but that leaves out that it needs drat near laboratory conditions to hit that impressive mark. If the typical experience is closer to how it ran on my PC out of the browser, yeah not good folks.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

hostile apostle posted:

And $72.24 w/ PS pro discount on PS4 - yea not all store fronts are gonna have the same price. Don't see you taking a poo poo in the PS4 thread about how you found a cheaper price elsewhere.

The fact that its $38 on some shady steam key site doesn't mean I can play it on my lovely gaming PC at 4K. Yet, with Stadia I can. I'm also traveling home next week for Thanksgiving and all I have to bring with me is a controller to play with my family on their Chromecast. No huge box to lug around. Thats worth a few extra dollars to me.

the ps4 has discs you can just buy games on those, and when you're done you can sell them to someone else

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost

bbchops posted:

My Stadia arrived! I'd love to tell you how good it is, but apparently 5 months isn't enough time to send out an unlock code.

Update: it seems 6 hours late is enough to send out codes. This thing basically works. There's no way I trust Google enough to buy a significant games library in it.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

the ps4 has discs you can just buy games on those, and when you're done you can sell them to someone else

Cool, do I put that PS4 disc into my family's dvd player? Excited to play that PS4 disc at their house TIA

Yea, most of my old PS4 or Xbox 360 games ended up at Goodwill - I'd rather donate them than scrape a few pennies from Gamestop.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

hostile apostle posted:

do I put that PS4 disc into my family's dvd player?

lmao

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

hostile apostle posted:

Cool, do I put that PS4 disc into my family's dvd player?

Ah, so you're a 6 year old.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Phil if you spent more time working and less time slavishly defending StaDOA from all criticism maybe it'd suck less, hth

Edit: jk lmao this shits already dead

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How is the RAM on the Google Stadia?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dandywalken posted:

How is the RAM on the Google Stadia?

idk like 7

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost
These games don't look very good. I was told these games would look very good.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hard to say how many players the Steam version of that GRID game has other than probably less than 3000, since it's not in the top 100. User reviews are complaining about things like maybe getting a handful of players in a race and the rest are just forced bots to fill in the empty slots. Kind of irrelevant for single player, but I guess paying $80 for a mixed review single player game on an online service that was supposed to remove the hardware costs is a thing one can do.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea just loaded it up at home. Streaming is much more solid with probably a better GPU to do the decoding and lag seems to be reduced.

However, playing at 1080P on a 1440P UW screen is, sub par for sure and the game looks relatively like it is running at Medium detail than it would running locally for sure lol.

Might be better on the TV with the Chromecast, but I don't really know if I will be keeping this or not. The novelty is proving to be less than the fact that my Parsec setup is superior lol.

Also, wasn't the Shield TV supposed to be Stadia supported at launch, or is that another thing that is an "eventually" sort of thing?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also, wasn't the Shield TV supposed to be Stadia supported at launch, or is that another thing that is an "eventually" sort of thing?
No, I don't believe I ever heard the Stadia people say anything about supporting Shield TV from launch. Maybe it would get support later if they keep adding Android devices to the list of stream targets, but who knows.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea just loaded it up at home. Streaming is much more solid with probably a better GPU to do the decoding and lag seems to be reduced.

However, playing at 1080P on a 1440P UW screen is, sub par for sure and the game looks relatively like it is running at Medium detail than it would running locally for sure lol.

Might be better on the TV with the Chromecast, but I don't really know if I will be keeping this or not. The novelty is proving to be less than the fact that my Parsec setup is superior lol.

it looks like poo poo on a computer compared to controller+chromecast, but even then there's obvious sacrifices in quality unless destiny 2 is worse than I'm remembering.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Welp we will see which wins the race my hardware will be arriving on my birthday will be interesting if I have a code to use with it. I won't bet a dollar on it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

FAUXTON posted:

it looks like poo poo on a computer compared to controller+chromecast, but even then there's obvious sacrifices in quality unless destiny 2 is worse than I'm remembering.
Oh dear. There's no reason for this quality difference, unless you're running a rotten potato computer.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

drat I thought buying stadia was shameful but did this guy just say he paid $80 for a code masters racing game??

Anyways don’t forget to buy rdr2 and raise that grand stadia total to over three hundo lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hostile apostle posted:

Count me as the idiot who spend $129 on a $70 chromecast ultra and a $70 controller to play RDR2 (which I have not played yet) in actual 4K 60fps and not some upscaled fake 4k on a $350 PS4 Pro which I don't have.
Evergreen post.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh dear. There's no reason for this quality difference, unless you're running a rotten potato computer.

Or they haven't fully cooked their Chrome Extension method or what have you.

It looks like they are piping in say the Xbox One version through to your browser at 720P upscaled to 1080P lol. Saving all the 4K grunt work for Chromecast alone.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Microsoft is selling a no money down service where for $20 a month you get an Xbox and gamepass. You have to commit to two years. After the first year, you've paid about the same as paying for a Stadia controller and a year of Stadia Pro. But you have access to hundreds of games (including a big chunk of Stadia's "we cost extra" launch library). It doesn't run 4k60 (but neither does Stadia).

I feel like the casual but not totally casual gamer market is better served by the Xbox deal than the Stadia deal (I think they are both bad deals).

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

It looks like they are piping in say the Xbox One version through to your browser at 720P upscaled to 1080P lol. Saving all the 4K grunt work for Chromecast alone.

Any chance you're using a linux box at work? Hardware decoding is non-existent on Chrome linux.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EdEddnEddy posted:

That's an insanely accurate way of putting it, it looks like a dang netflix movie on DSL

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

Any chance you're using a linux box at work? Hardware decoding is non-existent on Chrome linux.

Both Win10. This 1080P garbage look is on my home one decoding with a 2080. It's not the PC dude lol.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I really don’t get Stadia. If you’re already buying a console and games and poo poo, why not, say, a PS4 which will allow you to remote play on a phone? This would also have the benefit of allowing you to play at higher quality and less lag and offline when you’re at home and can just play the game on your playstation.

Or get a switch. It’s small, light, and can be played anywhere without any setup

I just don’t understand

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gutcruncher posted:

I really don’t get Stadia. If you’re already buying a console and games and poo poo, why not, say, a PS4 which will allow you to remote play on a phone? This would also have the benefit of allowing you to play at higher quality and less lag and offline when you’re at home and can just play the game on your playstation.

Or get a switch. It’s small, light, and can be played anywhere without any setup

I just don’t understand

the stadia is cheap as hell, that's kind of about it

you also get what you pay for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
It's simple. Stadia is for people who love playing games, who care deeply about graphic fidelity, who have 4k TVs, who can't stomach the price of a console, who don't mind dropping money on speculative gadgets, who have top of the line Internet, who haven't played AAA games in the last 5 years, who don't mind some rough edges when it comes to performance or graphical fidelity.