Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Whiskey Sour Larry Sweeney. Wait. No.

Drop shot drinks called Jurassic Express. Maybe.

Jello shoots.

It's Jello shoots. Make Jello shoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Ebbesangria
White Russian Assassin #1 and White Russian Assassin #2
Big Shrubba Rogers
Dark N Stormy Journey
The Lemon Viper Shandy Orton
Manny "The Raging Boulevardier" Fernandez
Tequila Sunrise But It's a Drink Not Adam Cole's Secondary Finisher Konnan's Finisher
Panama Sunrise Which Is a Completely Different Cocktail Inspired by Adam Cole
Kick the Cocktail Door Down, Hulk Hogan. Take the Two Pilots Who Have Already Made the Sazerac So That You Can Face the Cocktail, Hulk Hogan.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 21, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Schnappsshooter
The Patron Plunge
Anaconda Weiss
Brandy Bomb
Crossface Cognac

Honestly a lot of moves would also make good cocktails. Skull Crushing Finale, Stone Cold Stunner, Gutwrench Powerbomb..

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So what are the different styles of wrestling, and what makes them unique? I know Lucha Libre has a lot of aerial flippy poo poo (and it owns), but I’m not super clear on the others.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Strong Style - Based on stiff strike exchanges that could in theory end a match in an instant - Usually associated with New Japan
King's Road - Style based off on the finish being slow built with counters and kicking out of moves before the one big move ends the match. All Japan/NOAH's house style and to be honest Modern New Japan is a mix of King's Road/Strong Style
Catch as Catch can/British - Wrestling based on mat work with neat pin combinations/counters and submissions. ZSJ uses this style a lot
Shoot Style - Proto MMA - Pancrase and UWF pioneered this style
Memphis Style - Wild Brawls and over the top angles. Proto Sports Entertainment

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Here is a question that's more broad - "Why are we calling it The Wednesday Night War?"

I get it, Monday Night Raw and Monday Night Nitro was a big boom period for wrestling, but those were the "mainline shows" and instead what we have is a Mainline show from an alternate brand, and a "Developmental" show that was picked up for the sole purpose of trying to generate one for the sake of... ratings?

It sounds to me, at the very least, there is a big overlap with AEW and NXT. But those that are die-hard NXT are against any and all non-WWE properties while AEW fans are die-hard against anything WWE.

When WWE sent that "the fans win" letter - it felt very cowardly. Because, at least to me, the company wants to still remain "the only wrestling company".

I don't understand the "who won the war" debates - because obviously, it's about tastes. And if you want indie darlings doing WWE style, you'll pick NXT, and if you want people "being themselves" without micromanagement, you'll pick AEW.

Is this all a marketing thing created by WWE to create a fight, or is it just the Internet Wrestling Community doing anything to make something out of nothing?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Can somebody help me with clever cocktail names based on wrestlers? So far I have a Suzuki-gin and an Io Shiraz.

Gin and Juice.

Ironically it's Vodka and Cranberry

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Is this all a marketing thing created by WWE to create a fight,
It's that thing.

They were really lost after buying WCW. Sadly they seem to have focussed in on the competition being the reason everyone loved the show and not the fact that Vince had to give up creative control just a little bit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TelevisedInsanity posted:

It sounds to me, at the very least, there is a big overlap with AEW and NXT.

What I've found interesting is that looking at the ratings seems to indicate that the crossover between AEW/NXT watchers is roughly 100-200k viewers, with the bulk of their viewers being all-or-nothing in regards to each show. That said it is still early days, it's probably not going to be until early next year that a really definitive and consistent pattern can actually be pointed to.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There are fans who have spent the last 19 years waiting for someone to challenge WWE or present a viable alternative who are excited and hopeful and that contributes to it. Add in that there's a narrative that has developed that "WWE was at its best when there was competition" and a lot of WWE fans actually on some level or another hope that AEW is the kick in the rear end they need to suddenly change.

But yeah, WWE created this a lot when they decided to start airing their developmental brand in the exact same timeslot as AEW and debut 2 weeks before AEW even though that created scheduling problems. WWE actively created "The Wednesday Night Rating War." They went out of their way to do it. I doubt that was an attempt to generate buzz so much as it was the thing WWE's been doing for decades, trying to directly attack competition before it becomes strong enough to truly challenge them. Usually they do that more behind the scenes with talent acquisition or stealing timeslots or whatever. AEW moved quickly and this was the first shot WWE had to try and destroy the competitors.

And each fanbase has their people who will crow when the ratings favor them and make excuses when they don't. That's tribalism and team sports.

Ultimately this is a thing if only because WWE clearly thinks its a thing. They've made it obvious the way they've scheduled and booked NXT and talked about AEW and critical fans the last couple of months. Not to mention their talent acquisitions and refusals to release talents.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What is the most babyface thing a career heel has done, shoot-wise? It can be outside the industry. I keep thinking about My Dad is a Heel Wrestler lately.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schneider Heim posted:

What is the most babyface thing a career heel has done, shoot-wise? It can be outside the industry. I keep thinking about My Dad is a Heel Wrestler lately.

Bam-Bam, while not a career heel, was mostly a heel, saved some kids from a burning house, which led to the pain pill addiction will killed him.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Artelier posted:

anyone has suggestions for a brutal looking move that's relatively easy to take? i want to try to convince the peeps i am doing a show with next week that i should take a bump, or if not a bump, at least a submission or something

my only experience is a crash course a few months ago, we went on how to do a basic back bump and a short one minute or so sequence which ends in a leg pull/sweep into an leg lock manoeuvre

Back drop driver.

(Hey, at least you don't have to do anything.)

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

Can somebody help me with clever cocktail names based on wrestlers? So far I have a Suzuki-gin and an Io Shiraz.

Jushin Thunder Lager

yeah I know it's not a cocktail shut up

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Is there any place to watch old Continental Wrestling Association shows?

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Big Bossman Slammer
Elderflower DDT
Pisco B Ware

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TheKingslayer posted:

Is there any place to watch old Continental Wrestling Association shows?

Amazon Prime has collections of shows

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Amazon Prime has collections of shows

Well I'll be damned. I never thought Amazon would have this much wrestling stuff. This rules.

I was mostly looking for the Jimmy Hart's First Family stuff from back then. I could be asking for the completely wrong promotion though.

Edit: Oh I'm about to fall down this rabbit hole hard. Old poo poo from the 80s and early 90s is my favorite winter viewing fare.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 21, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TheKingslayer posted:

Well I'll be damned. I never thought Amazon would have this much wrestling stuff. This rules.

I was mostly looking for the Jimmy Hart's First Family stuff from back then. I could be asking for the completely wrong promotion though.

Edit: Oh I'm about to fall down this rabbit hole hard. Old poo poo from the 80s and early 90s is my favorite winter viewing fare.

My timelines may be skewed, but I think they started to "officially" call themselves "CWA" after the Hart/Lawler stuff. Before then they were known as "Mid-Southern" (Not to be confused with Bill Watts' Mid-South. Also don't confuse Jarrett & Lawler's Memphis "Continental Wrestling Association" with the Fullers' "Continental Wrestling Federation/Continental Championship Wrestling" from around the same time period).

For some of the First Family stuff, trying searching for "Memphis Wrestling" (or something similar) and see if that helps. Also, keep in mind, back then, they would just tape over the old programs with newer shows, so a lot of that stuff might not even exist anymore.

Youtube's not a bad place to look either.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 21, 2019

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

Back drop driver.

(Hey, at least you don't have to do anything.)

I don't think moves that have literally killed people should be considered easy to take.

Unless this is a joke about how we live in hell world and death is actually the easiest and best path forward. In that case yeah.

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend
Are there any particularly great Strong Hearts matches worth checking out? Really enjoyed them on AEW Dark this week......

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Lord of Hats posted:

So what are the different styles of wrestling, and what makes them unique? I know Lucha Libre has a lot of aerial flippy poo poo (and it owns), but I’m not super clear on the others.

Lucha isn't just flips. It's entirely stylized fighting that includes strange and spectacular holds

Hechicero uses this lucha style

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

If you want to see the Lucha style just watch any episode of CMLL free on youtube. It's pretty good, and despite the dynamism of the moves seems to protect the workers bodies a bit more than other styles. Maybe because they don't work 250 dates per year or get dropped on the top of their heads as frequently.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mexican wrestlers absolutely work 250 dates a year

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smoking Crow posted:

You could tell me there's been luchadores who have worked 250 matches in three months and I would believe it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If WWE starts calling it "Wednesday Night Wars" now, they can buy AEW in a few years and make a bunch of WWE Network specials and show how NXT CRUSHED those nerds in Jacksonville.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Randaconda posted:

Bam-Bam, while not a career heel, was mostly a heel, saved some kids from a burning house, which led to the pain pill addiction will killed him.
In a very similar vein, Perry Saturn suffered multiple gunshot wounds stopping an attempted rape, which led to his addiction issues coming back.

Hellblazer187 posted:

If you want to see the Lucha style just watch any episode of CMLL free on youtube. It's pretty good, and despite the dynamism of the moves seems to protect the workers bodies a bit more than other styles. Maybe because they don't work 250 dates per year or get dropped on the top of their heads as frequently.
And don't forget to check out PSPTV!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 21, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

And they seem to work consistently until sometime in their 70s.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Maxwell Lord posted:

And they seem to work consistently until sometime in their 70s.

americans should start doing rolling bumps

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So I got into a couple episodes of CWA and my personal takes so far.

Jimmy Hart is the only good promo I've seen.

Tons of ugly guys on the roster.

Also a poo poo load of masked wrestlers. Not luchas or anything, just dudes in masks. I'm guessing this was pretty common in the territory days or just in the Mid-South territories?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

So I got into a couple episodes of CWA and my personal takes so far.

Jimmy Hart is the only good promo I've seen.

Tons of ugly guys on the roster.

Also a poo poo load of masked wrestlers. Not luchas or anything, just dudes in masks. I'm guessing this was pretty common in the territory days or just in the Mid-South territories?

Lawler is a good promo. As is Bill Dundee and Dream Machine.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I've only seen one Lawler promo against Ken Patera and he just seemed kinda boring. I figured it wasn't the best of his work though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

I've only seen one Lawler promo against Ken Patera and he just seemed kinda boring. I figured it wasn't the best of his work though.

Go to youtube, watch McMemphis in order. Trust me on this. TONS of good promos, as WWE invades Memphis. With lead heels Bret and Owen Hart, and a prototype Mr.McMahon.

Lawler cuts multiple strong promos.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Go to youtube, watch McMemphis in order. Trust me on this. TONS of good promos, as WWE invades Memphis. With lead heels Bret and Owen Hart, and a prototype Mr.McMahon.

Lawler cuts multiple strong promos.

Oh poo poo, thank you. I'd just heard about that whole angle last week but wasn't sure where to find it. Bret and Owen getting involved in some southern wrasslin' sounded great.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Halloween Jack posted:

In a very similar vein, Perry Saturn suffered multiple gunshot wounds stopping an attempted rape, which led to his addiction issues coming back.
If anything, that's under-selling it. He got shot in the shoulder and the back of the neck (and was apparently so jacked up on adrenaline that he didn't realize it until he was being put in an ambulance; he's said that in the moment, he thought he got punched). That incident was in 2004; after that, Perry Saturn got so into meth that he basically disappeared for the next five years (and was homeless for a good chunk of it). When he didn't show up to Killer Kowalski's funeral in 2008, rumors of his own death got into full swing; there were some reported sightings, but nothing fully confirmed before he resurfaced in 2010.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Moe_Rahn posted:

If anything, that's under-selling it. He got shot in the shoulder and the back of the neck (and was apparently so jacked up on adrenaline that he didn't realize it until he was being put in an ambulance; he's said that in the moment, he thought he got punched). That incident was in 2004; after that, Perry Saturn got so into meth that he basically disappeared for the next five years (and was homeless for a good chunk of it). When he didn't show up to Killer Kowalski's funeral in 2008, rumors of his own death got into full swing; there were some reported sightings, but nothing fully confirmed before he resurfaced in 2010.

Yeah I remember there was a moment where people kinda realized nobody knew what the gently caress had happened to Perry Saturn. I think part of it might've been other wrestlers who would've known Saturn doing interviews and any time he came up none of them having talked to him or heard anything about him in years? I might be misremembering that bit.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Saturn's interview with I think... Jericho was super super sad. Talked about where he'd been all that time. I liked Saturn a lot so I was stoked that he was at least alive and getting clean.

As of that recording anyway.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Clean, yes, and while he's still alive he's in a pretty bad way mentally from what I've read. He's only 53 and fighting dementia, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Chris Masters ripped a tree out of the ground to rescue his mother from an arsonist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TheKingslayer posted:

Saturn's interview with I think... Jericho was super super sad. Talked about where he'd been all that time. I liked Saturn a lot so I was stoked that he was at least alive and getting clean.

As of that recording anyway.

Saturn also had a YouShoot that's surprisingly great. He still has his goofy sense of humor, told some truly insane stories about what he got into with groupies in WCW, and was pretty honest about himself; his first reaction to watching the match where he beat the poo poo out of Mike Bell was "I was wrong, that's unprofessional."