Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obscure_reference
Jan 7, 2012
As a fellow lover of "vintage crap," keep it coming! That bluetooth speaker solution is bad-rear end.

From a few posts back, curious about that giant novelty/advertising display pen hiding by the Color TV neon - looks like an old Sheaffer perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Looking good LBX. You coming over for the fallout this year? I've got a freaking wedding that day and have to miss it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

obscure_reference posted:

As a fellow lover of "vintage crap," keep it coming! That bluetooth speaker solution is bad-rear end.

From a few posts back, curious about that giant novelty/advertising display pen hiding by the Color TV neon - looks like an old Sheaffer perhaps?

good eye, its a Parker pen - I got that from an antique store that was going out of business, i paid $20 for it. - they also had some OLD diner stools that i really regret not buying.

always be closing posted:

Looking good LBX. You coming over for the fallout this year? I've got a freaking wedding that day and have to miss it.

I dont think so this year, although it was super fun - I think we're headed to florida this year to see my family in miami

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Very cool. My favorite spot when I live on the beach was cafeteria mi Columbia on the corner of 71& Indian Creek. Fallout next year!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
So yesterday a bunch of people started messaging me in the AM that my car was top on reddit - I havent been on reddit in over a year so that was kind of shocking. not only was it on reddit, but it was the top post in /r/pics... hmmm - guess it will get recognized more often now.

anyway, I've been super busy, but figured I'd share these... I recently digitized my grandparents 8mm footage from the 1940s thru id say about 65-66

here are my grandparents riding their bicycles on the 101 freeway here in LA before it opened in 1958

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS-586q_cxc

this is what they took from opening day at Disneyland in 1955

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AVSdtzzHPs

and here is Travel Town at griffith park - its a train museum and public park - I also got married here in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4HL28Sd9XY

I've got 4 hours of footage, a lot of it is oddly... videos of my family swimming - but there are a few more choice scenes from the past that I will share, including the 1951 Rose Bowl, Yosemite and Indio fair in 1953

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!
Sorry to hear about Paul Boz.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

and here is Travel Town at griffith park - its a train museum and public park - I also got married here in 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4HL28Sd9XY
My daughter LOVES this place. We live close enough that it's kind of the default "hey, you need to burn some energy, let's go to Travel Town!". Super awesome footage, and your music choices are fantastic!

I think I saw someone on their way to RPM on Friday - it wasn't you, but we saw a cool old coupe, gray, chopped windows, like yours but with a roof, maybe? - on the way north. I was tempted to suggest to my wife that we stop by, but we were in the midst of picking up a new puppy in Redding, so time was not on our side.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sorry to hear about Paul Boz. I remember his posting from a long time ago. He seemed like a really good dude. RIP :(

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Yeah it's really a shame to hear about Paul. I used to IM him on AIM back around the time of the Katrina hurricane because he had an MR2 like mine. I still remember him telling me about the time he dropped the rear cross member on his head and it knocked him out.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
The RPM Nationals were beyond incredible this year -

if you look closely on this one, the throttle is wide open

anyway, it was a blast..

starting to work on the wagon a bit, now that the 48 is up and going

our halloween was pretty fun!

ebay score of the century:

Edmund's dual intake for the buick 32 straight 8. these NEVER show up, and when they do they are usually about double what I paid for it. I'm collecting the correct carbs for it now, - I also have to build a linkage too. its going to be a bit before I get this on there.

another interesting score:

more on this later..

and finally, this is how my wife and I announced we're having a baby...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Congrats on the baby! Won't it be weird to have something that new in your house?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

Nice! Congrats, dude. That's a heck of a life change, and you're going to love it!

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Congrats. Im interested on how you are going to mount baby seats in the classics, I want to take my kids out in my dad's 56 buick, but with no way to install kid seats, and no grandfather clause for no belts (that I know of) I am not sure how to not get pulled over.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

blindjoe posted:

Congrats. Im interested on how you are going to mount baby seats in the classics, I want to take my kids out in my dad's 56 buick, but with no way to install kid seats, and no grandfather clause for no belts (that I know of) I am not sure how to not get pulled over.

What about grandfather clauses for vintage car seats? Do a Google image search for all kinds of unsafe-in-any-collision options!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I foolishly thought things wouldn't get any better than the RPM Nationals pics. Congratulations!
I wish you'd have let people know earlier about wanting kids. I would have put in an application. I'm even potty trained.

And curious about the significance of the c-rats.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Congratulations, and awesome photos as usual.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Congrats on the baby! Won't it be weird to have something that new in your house?

:golfclap:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

:discourse:

joat mon posted:

Steve1989 is living in his basement. "Alright, mmm, nice, yeah."

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

LobsterboyX posted:

Well, I don't have much content today, but I did get some sad news that may strike some of us forum veterans, I found out that PaulBoz MR2 (i cant remember his exact user name) has passed away-

RIP Paul.

It was Paul Boz_. He lost the email account he had Paul_Boz registered under. I'll miss this glorious rear end in a top hat forever. Sorry LobsterboyX, I didn't think to let you know. I forget he used to fly out and hang with you when he was in LA.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

bravo!

Krakkles posted:

Nice! Congrats, dude. That's a heck of a life change, and you're going to love it!

i needed something to shake it up a bit - I know I will love it, he's going to grow up just as weird as I did.

blindjoe posted:

well there's always options like this:

or a slightly modified version of this:

most likely is I'll probably put some anchors in the back of the wagon and maybe the 48.. wife made it pretty clear that he's not going to be allowed in the roadster for a few years - but my argument is that its the only car that already has seatbelts... ww2 aircraft seatbelts to be exact.

I distinctly remember riding around in my dads 54 buick convertible and him saying "ok, if we are about to get in to an accident I want you to just grab hold of me as hard as you can", and I also recall driving around in my grandtathers 72 torino wagon in the far back... no seat.. just rolling around

joat mon posted:

I foolishly thought things wouldn't get any better than the RPM Nationals pics. Congratulations!
I wish you'd have let people know earlier about wanting kids. I would have put in an application. I'm even potty trained.

applications closed - before the pregnancy i was looking for a child to adopt with a larger bank account than mine...

but the c-rats are dated 44, and were found, completely in tact, with cigarettes, at a garage sale. I smoked one of them already... they are currently pending sale ;)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Congratulations! And can't wait to hear about the old surplus score.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Congrats man!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Might need to change your name to LobsterdadX. Congrats, and welcome to the AI Dad crew.

I know there is a lot of half joking here but modern child seats are huge leaps forward in safety. If you can emulate the LATCH system in modern cars it would add to the safety factor.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Congrats on babby

And yeah late as but gently caress Paul died??? Godamnit he was a great guy to talk to. Can someone PM me what happened?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wrar posted:

I know there is a lot of half joking here but modern child seats are huge leaps forward in safety. If you can emulate the LATCH system in modern cars it would add to the safety factor.

Nah, you know the rules.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm going to assume the baby in a classic thing is a joke but just in case it's not don't loving drive your child around in an old car buy something safe for god's sake. I bet you're a super good driver who never makes mistakes but all it takes is for one distracted driver or drunk to wander into your lane to ruin your life.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Previa_fun posted:

I'm going to assume the baby in a classic thing is a joke but just in case it's not don't loving drive your child around in an old car buy something safe for god's sake. I bet you're a super good driver who never makes mistakes but all it takes is for one distracted driver or drunk to wander into your lane to ruin your life.

Smacking your head on a steel dash builds character.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Congrats on the non-antique adding to the family!

Previa_fun posted:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm pretty sure Lobsterdad has a modern car as well, and, I mean, yeah, newer cars are safer, but as long as you get a new car seat and LATCH-like attachment points, I don't think you'd be a monster to put a kid in a classic.

I added LATCH to a car, which was admittedly a lot newer than anything he likes, but it's far from unreasonable to do.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

"I don't have any idea what you are planning to do, but here's a heaping load of sarcasm and unsolicited advice coming your way anyhow"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, a modern childseat, particularly if you can retrofit a car with mounts for this LATCH system (I assume that's the US equivalent of ISOFIX?) shouldn't be inherently unsafe.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Also, once you have kids, you will seldom use a car that the whole family can't ride in, especially if you like using your car for going on adventures.
I use my grandfathers 74 dodge camper, but there is no place for kids seats so we always have to take two cars. This gets old quick as it means I just get to drive around alone.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, a modern childseat, particularly if you can retrofit a car with mounts for this LATCH system (I assume that's the US equivalent of ISOFIX?) shouldn't be inherently unsafe.
Yep. A lot of seats just have both attachments now, and I believe that some (most?) are actually cross-compatible. I.e., it's nearly exactly the same thing.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
well that escalated quickly, yes both my wife and I have modern vehicles. in fact there's pictures hidden of my modern vehicle in this thread - I used to be a champion of "OLDIRON IS WAY BETTEUR AND SAFE" but hey, thats just not true. Obviously you take a whole bunch of risks operating old vehicles like mine, and obviously accidents happen. I drive these cars to work occationally, but rarely do I depend on them anymore. my 58 used to be my daily driver, I commuted in it and depended on it - I never thought I'd reach a point in my life where I actually enjoy having a new(er) car, but then again I didn't expect to be a functioning adult either... Truth be told I still plan on exposing my boy to this culture and my interests which, for the most part, are shared with my wife, and its on him if he decides to take to it, great, I just don't want to turn out like this article:

https://thehardtimes.net/culture/child-of-rockabilly-couple-constantly-wondering-what-the-gently caress-is-going-on/

but it might be unavoidable.

speaking of functioning adult... I took a big step and listed my precious cadillac for sale.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That article is hilarious!

I know new cars are safer and I have a brand new car for the kids but when my first was born all I had was a 92 honda, and when I grew up we didn't have any stinking car seats. I take them out in my Japanese imports with just seatbelts around town. I love my kids more than life but you can't just worry all the time.

Keep hold of your interests and share it with your kids, I let way too much go when I got married and had kids but trying to bring that back...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
God I hated this thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlZT8nDNLqg&t=27s
I looked just like that kid.
Every single time.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

LobsterboyX posted:

Congratulations!

Raluek posted:

Smacking your head on a steel dash builds character.

It does not. What you need is a good snow shovel.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LobsterboyX posted:

In fact there's pictures hidden of my modern vehicle in this thread

I'm guessing the FJ Cruiser that was towing the roadster in this picture and the lexus shopping picture is yours or your wife's. Because a retro styled modern vehicle seems like it would be largely your jam for daily vehicle needs. :D

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 22, 2019

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
astute! the FJ is mine, I'm gunning to replace it with a lexus, but I just can't seem to find one that is clean enough for me. My wife drives a Wrangler 4 door.

Story time!

I used to work for the NFL and every year I had to travel to the super bowl host city- way back in 2013 it was in new york. It had been a tradition for my mom and my girlfriend (now wife) to take me to the airport and cry as I left because I was gone for a month. My mom had a 2001 Lexus LX 470 that she bought brand new, it was her baby, she was an interior designer and used the massive truck to haul stuff back and forth from LA to Santa Barbara where the majority of her clients were, when it was new the lexus was so nice, she wouldn't let me anywhere near it, she would put a towel down whenever I had to ride in it and drove it so softly and smoothly. I loved the car, I loved the power it had, I loved everything about it - it was my guilty pleasure. Right before the super bowl, I was at my moms place for a dinner and she brought up the fact that I was doing so well for myself, and that it was time that I stopped driving my g'd up 95 buick roadmaster wagon every day. I dont know if any of you recall the car, but it was slammed on steel wheels, thinline white walls, tinted to the moon, huge system - in a gold with wood grain grandpa cruiser wagon with seating for 8.

She said that she would love it if I was to take her lexus so that she could finally buy a "cute convertible" like she always wanted, I was really happy for her, because that meant she was finally starting to think about slowing down a little bit, she was in her late 60s and had accomplished much as a designer, and she was the driving force behind me becoming a designer. For once I didn't balk at the idea of having a modern-ish car, this was a turning point for me as I had always been obsessed with my old clap traps.

So they were both teary-eyed as I got out of the lexus and began my journey - on their way home they were involved in an accident that totaled the car, they were both ok but my Lexus was gone. They both kept it a secret the entire time I was gone, which to this day still boggles my mind. When I got home they picked me up in my moms year old Audi wagon - I was crushed... a few weeks later I settled and bought my FJ, because it was a quirky weird toyota

I lost my mom in 2015 very unexpectedly and she never got her cute convertible... but I had a void in my heart for my Lexus that I never got, and I've been looking for one ever since, but every one that I've been to see has not come close to what I want... there's always something fishy about them, now that i'm going to be a dad, I need something with 4 doors, and damnit, im going to get one of these lexus' soon. Yes its a mom cruiser, yes its a gas guzzler, yes its probably the most boring years for the land cruiser series, but whatever.. I love them.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

*stops cutting onions*

I totally hear you. I've actually been looking at them as well, as I'm at that "time to get a real dad(mom) car" point as well. My daughter loves my mustang, but she's very much on the verge of not being able to squeeze into the backseat anymore.

I'm basically at: 2000s era V8 Landcruiser/LX 4xx, new-ish F150 (crew cab), new-ish Explorer, or new Bronco, probably roughly in order of "being able to". I might have to swap a couple around in terms of what's realistic, but an old LC is definitely within affordability, the new Bronco is ... probably not. The two in the middle :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Krakkles posted:

*stops cutting onions*

I totally hear you. I've actually been looking at them as well, as I'm at that "time to get a real dad(mom) car" point as well. My daughter loves my mustang, but she's very much on the verge of not being able to squeeze into the backseat anymore.

I'm basically at: 2000s era V8 Landcruiser/LX 4xx, new-ish F150 (crew cab), new-ish Explorer, or new Bronco, probably roughly in order of "being able to". I might have to swap a couple around in terms of what's realistic, but an old LC is definitely within affordability, the new Bronco is ... probably not. The two in the middle :shrug:

whatever you do, do not go to that shady rear end dealership in burbank, right by the airport, i made the mistake of going there! Ive been searching for a decent private party deal for a black one with gray interior with under 200k on the clock - you'd think I was hunting last (endangered species animal) on earth.

the newer exploders had the issue where it was co2 poisoning the coppers, i looked at them briefly as they are comfy, big and somewhat powerful. Personally I just cant swing a pickup, any modern truck is just so goddamn huge (says the guy with 20' long cars) , to me it defeats the purpose of having half a vehicle, gently caress even the new "midsize" trucks dwarf the full size trucks of the 90s - that stews me