Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Is there some cable or adaptor I can use to plug phanteks halos lux digital + Neon into a Farbwerk 360?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

BexGu posted:

If I have a 2k Monitor I'm pretty much going to have to go for a GTX RTX 2000 series or can something like the GTX 1660 Super series handle it fairly well?

Assuming you're targeting something resembling normal performance: 1440p @ 60hz, or 1440p @ FreeSync/Gsync and aren't insane about graphics settings then your best options are: AMD RX 5700, RTX 2060, RTX 2060 Super.

Right now a 2060 is $320 after coupons and rebates
A 5700 is $340
2060 Super $380

The 2060 is a tough recommend at price parity with the 5700, but the 5700 does draw a bit more power, and the 2600 is flirting with $20-30 lower which makes it somewhat attractive again.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What's the sweet spot for CPUs these days? If i'm really just gaming at 1080p and never overclocking I should be fine with a Ryzen 3600X yeah?

I would prefer to stick with Intel but it seems like their chips are solidly outclassed these days?

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 20, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CPU and resolution are independent, it's monitor hz that matters.

But yeah. I'd go with the non-X version but the 3600 is plenty good for most every system.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Target refresh rate matters more than resolution because the faster you're pumping out frames the more work the cpu has to do to keep up. If your gaming on a 60Hz monitor, a 2600 would be fine and will likely continue to be for a while yet. A 3600 (non-X) is a decent performance upgrade for $80, but at 60 fps you won't see any difference right now.

If you have a high-refresh rate monitor AND a graphics card that can push 100+ fps in demanding games at the settings you want, then a faster cpu can give you better performance in games that would otherwise be cpu-limited and it makes sense to get a 3600 at minimum. The 3600x really isn't worth it, though - it's only going to be an ~1-2% boost for $40 (and only in games where you're already cpu-limited).

Intel cpus are fine for performance, but they're not a great value right now. 6-core/6-thread processors like the 9400f work fine for now but we're already seeing 4-core/4-thread processors causing frame pacing issues with newer AAA games and 4/8 and 6/6 are going to start feeling dated next. Intel's 6/12 or better processors are all expensive compared to their AMD counterparts and have less compelling future drop-in upgrade options.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Just playing 1080p games with a Ryzen 3600 and a GTX 2060S, no overclocking, is there a motherboard you'd recommend with 6 total rear USB slots and onboard wifi?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

On-board wifi limits options quite a bit, but the MSi B450 Pro Carbon AC at $130 is a good deal if you don't mind the limited keyboard-only bios and the fact that you might have to update the bios using the flashback button before install the 3600.

The Asus TUF X570-Plus (Wifi) at $180 is the best X570 options, and gets you a small VRM upgrade over the Pro Carbon (though both are fine for a 3600), plus 2 full-speed NVMe-compatible M.2 slots (the second slot on the Pro Carbon is PCIe 2.0 x4), PCIe 4.0 (not super important), and some extra usb ports.

The ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 Wifi is in between ($160), but it's VRM is step down from the Pro Carbon (still fine for a 3600, though), it doesn't have usb 3.0 gen 2 ports (the 10Gb/s ones), and ASrock's memory support is spottier than Asus or Msi.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I keep hee-hawing at what CPU to get. I started on the 3600 then the 3600X was on sale on Amazon yesterday for $200 which I completely missed out on, and now I'm thinking if I should get the 2600 instead since I don't really need a monster PC.. (but I really really want a fast CPU even if I don't need it..).

FWIW I just want to play 1080p games and plan on buying a 1660Ti. I do some stuff using MakeMKV but besides that don't really have a reason for a fast CPU. Is there any other benefit to buying something like a 3600X vs a 2600 for my use case? I know the truth is to buy a 2600 but my brain wants the 3600/3600X just because. My current rig is a 2500K, so I'm thinking I should try to future-proof a bit..

Someone talk some sense into me.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Personal opinion: The 3600x isn't worth considering, you get 2-3% more performance for $50.

I'd rather get the 3600 and spend the $50 on a scythe mugen rev b cooler, you won't notice the performance difference but you will notice the sound difference over the next 3-5 years.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
A college near me is having a technology surplus sale tomorrow and I think I'm going to stop. Anything that I should look for? Are the desktops usually good enough that throwing in a video card/more ram will allow for light gaming? (Mainly Sims 4)

Not sure if specs across colleges are pretty standard and there is something good to find/avoid?

For reference, this is what they have.
Complete PC Systems (monitor, keyboard, mouse, imaged PC and cables) - $94.70
PC Laptops - $75.83
PC Desktop - $47.39
All Mac Devices - $104.27
Projectors - $94.79
Miscellaneous Devices - $4.74 per item
Unknown Devices - $9.48
Hard Drives - $4.74
Monitors - $23.70
Cameras - $4.74
Cables/RAM - $1

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Whats the thread's opinion on the MSI Ventus series 2070S?

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 21, 2019

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harminoff posted:

A college near me is having a technology surplus sale tomorrow and I think I'm going to stop. Anything that I should look for? Are the desktops usually good enough that throwing in a video card/more ram will allow for light gaming? (Mainly Sims 4)

Not sure if specs across colleges are pretty standard and there is something good to find/avoid?

I think this is way too variable for us to say how good those prices are, but for what it's worth, before I left my university the computers they replaced in the labs had low power Haswell i5s, Radeon HD 5450s, and 8GB of RAM IIRC. If that's about what they're getting rid of too, would be a pretty nice pick up at that price, even if the video card was a glorified paperweight.

Edit: I also like the idea of buying the stuff nobody could identify for $9.48, there probably is legitimately something cool in that pile along with just the most random things otherwise imaginable.

Demostrs fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 21, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Harminoff posted:

PC Laptops - $75.83
PC Desktop - $47.39
Projectors - $94.79
Unknown Devices - $9.48
Hard Drives - $4.74
Monitors - $23.70
Cameras - $4.74
Cables/RAM - $1

The power supply is often the limitation, but most business PCs will take the small 1060. It chugs at some point on any system, but my wife plays it for hours on a Intel Core i5-3427U/Intel HD Graphics 4000 laptop. Some of them may come with video cards, it's hit and miss but very likely these cards stink and use regular old DDR3 RAM instead of GDDR5, which is much faster. They'll still probably play the Sims - you can tell which ones have cards in them because there's video ports away from the main cluster of motherboard ports.

Any Dell's original configuration can be looked up with the Service Tag at support.dell.com, Lenovo from support.lenovo.com/us/en/warrantylookup, HP at https://support.hp.com/us-en/checkwarranty

Almost any business line mini tower will take one of the 1650 mini cards despite what the power supply says. Any small form factor is capped out at the SFF 1050ti. SSDs are dirt cheap and will make any of these machines snappy if they're 2013 or newer.

Look for anything with an i5 or i7. You want the newest quad core you can get. The most RAM, but RAM is cheap so if you can't assess don't go nuts but Sims 4 loves RAM. Sims plays alright on a good HDD but you will want to pick up a dirt cheap SSD this black friday if there isn't one. Anything "Pro" or dell "precision" or that says "xeon" was probably a workstation or server and is likely to be a good get.

Some of the older Quadro and FirePro and (if you get lucky) Radeon Pro cards are still worth money on ebay. A

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/959319/ultra-setting-players-what-do-you-play-on The 1060 or 1650 will be perfect for it, it doesn't take too much to play Sims on ultra.

There are some schools that are way behind on tech and just getting rid of Optiplex 760s now (I am getting rid of a pile of 1st and 2nd gen i5 980/990 models myself) but hard to believe there isn't a good Sims PC in here if they're working.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 21, 2019

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
You can make one hell of a Emulation Station/Kodi setup for a TV with one of those $100 desktops.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The moment you see a Intel gen4 i5 8GB RAM or better midtower for $50 , run don't walk to it. Avoid SFFs whenever possible.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Hey folks, I've been trying to figure out a rig to upgrade from my current gaming/general purpose computer but due to brokebrain and procrastination I've been putting it off. Now cyber sale times are almost here and I'm desperate for some guidance. I can build my own computer but I haven't done so in 7 years and I haven't been keeping up on the newest hot poo poo.

I'm asking for a general framework of a gaming rig that'll play modern games in 1080p at 60FPS or at least smoothly. If possible, I also want to try an AMD centric rig for the first time.

I currently have a GTX970 in my middle-of-the-road-in-2012 machine and I'm feeling it big time. I have no need for peripherals like monitors, input devices, etc. Just the tower and components within. I've tried parts picker but even mulling over mobos and towers gets me too caught up in my own head.

Please, I request just a point in the right direction. :kiddo:

What country are you in? USA.

What are you using the system for? Gaming and web browsing. Maybe streaming but nothing more professional than displaying my screen. Specifically, I want the AMD equivalent of a GTX 1660 unless dissuaed for something better and/or cheaper-but-just-as-functional

What's your budget? I haven't really put a price on it because I"m sure I'll work it out but I'd say no more than $1000-1200. 800 is my ideal but I can go over that.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 1920x1080 on 60FPS with Medium/high or at least smooth. Being "ultra" isn't necessary.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
You sound like me wanting 1080p 60fps. I think the recent consensus is to go Ryzen 3600, 1660 Ti, Tomahawk Max motherboard (if you're doing another size you'll want to change this accoedingly).

You could probably save a few bucks and go 1660 Super instead.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Morter posted:

Hey folks, I've been trying to figure out a rig to upgrade from my current gaming/general purpose computer but due to brokebrain and procrastination I've been putting it off. Now cyber sale times are almost here and I'm desperate for some guidance. I can build my own computer but I haven't done so in 7 years and I haven't been keeping up on the newest hot poo poo.

I'm asking for a general framework of a gaming rig that'll play modern games in 1080p at 60FPS or at least smoothly. If possible, I also want to try an AMD centric rig for the first time.

I currently have a GTX970 in my middle-of-the-road-in-2012 machine and I'm feeling it big time. I have no need for peripherals like monitors, input devices, etc. Just the tower and components within. I've tried parts picker but even mulling over mobos and towers gets me too caught up in my own head.

Please, I request just a point in the right direction. :kiddo:

What country are you in? USA.

What are you using the system for? Gaming and web browsing. Maybe streaming but nothing more professional than displaying my screen. Specifically, I want the AMD equivalent of a GTX 1660 unless dissuaed for something better and/or cheaper-but-just-as-functional

What's your budget? I haven't really put a price on it because I"m sure I'll work it out but I'd say no more than $1000-1200. 800 is my ideal but I can go over that.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 1920x1080 on 60FPS with Medium/high or at least smooth. Being "ultra" isn't necessary.

Start here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903626&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post499984447

If you have specific requirements let us know.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Harminoff posted:

PC Laptops - $75.83
PC Desktop - $47.39
Projectors - $94.79
Unknown Devices - $9.48
Hard Drives - $4.74
Monitors - $23.70
Cameras - $4.74
Cables/RAM - $1

It may not be the best way to get a bare bones gaming rig but it can be a good way to pickup a cheap box to use as a Plex/NAS/Minecraft server. My home server started life as a Dell Optiplex workstation that my work was recycling and has been a fun project.

That said, you could probably run Sims 4 ok throwing a 1650 in it, they come in small form factors that make them easy to fit in non standard cases and they don't require the extra power that usually prevents prebuilts from being a gaming machine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Finally going to pull the trigger on a proc upgrade if I can manage to find availability for the 3950x at not-extortionate prices. I'm hoping the release of gen 3 Threadripper is going to cover the people willing to pay idiotic upcharges for the fastest chips possible. Did a ton of research on different boards and memory to pair with it and I've narrowed it down to the MSI MEG X570 Unify or the ASRock Taichi X570 with the cheapest 16GB/dimm 3200+ B-die I can find (currently https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JkJkcf/gskill-tridentz-series-32gb-2-x-16gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c14d-32gtzsk).

I'm going to wait for black friday / cyber monday to see if there are deals on any of the above (although I kind of doubt it), but I just wanted a sanity check.

Also, I'm reusing my Noctua NH-D14 (with the new bracket, of course) and whoo boy, that RAM clearance with the GSKILL looks real close. What thermal compound is the flavor of the month?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

GSkill has stupid tall heatsinks sometimes, which is why I recommend Corsair LPX stuff. Not as flashy as GSkill, but also less likely to smack into your cpu tower cooler.

E: that trident stuff isn't the most egregious stuff GSkill has ever put out, but it's still definitely flashy and goes outside of the zone that cooler manufacturers are told to stay out of for memory clearance reasons.

Do you need 32 GB of RAM?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 21, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LPX isn't b-die. Technically, the Noctua says it can handle memory up to 44 mm. Exactly the listed height of that gskill.

orange juche posted:

Do you need 32 GB of RAM?

I was strongly considering 64 before I realized it would probably negatively impact overclocking. My current system has 16 gigs and I regularly hit the limits of that doing machine learning stuff. Technically, I have a VMWare server with ~200 GB of memory I could offload more stuff onto, but I'm lazy and I want to run stuff local.

I'm buying a 16 core CPU and overclocking it. What I need isn't relevant here.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 21, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you case has sufficient clearance, you can just move the fan up a bit and should be fine with any ram! If it doesn't, you could still remove the front fan without much of an impact on performance (that's why the d15s only comes with a single fan - well, that and it increases their margin).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 21, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I looked it up and my current ram is gskill sniper DDR3, which is apparently 42mm (yes, that's how badly I need to upgrade). I'm sure she extra 2mm will manage.

Edit: My case is a fractal design define xl, so I'm pretty sure I could make just about anything fit if I tried hard enough.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

You also have to be a bit careful with the D14 because it can overlap the PCIe x16 slot on some motherboards. It looks like the Taichi is fine, but the Unify hasn't been tested. The Godlike is the only MSi X570 that has issues, though, and the first PCIe slot is much closer to the cpu than the Unify so I suspect the Unify would be fine. If you switch to a different motherboard, just be sure to check it's compatibility.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

KillHour posted:

LPX isn't b-die. Technically, the Noctua says it can handle memory up to 44 mm. Exactly the listed height of that gskill.

I was strongly considering 64 before I realized it would probably negatively impact overclocking. My current system has 16 gigs and I regularly hit the limits of that doing machine learning stuff. Technically, I have a VMWare server with ~200 GB of memory I could offload more stuff onto, but I'm lazy and I want to run stuff local.

I'm buying a 16 core CPU and overclocking it. What I need isn't relevant here.

Ah yeah if you're doing ML or any intensive computational work, more ram is always better. Didn't know your use case as I wasn't sure what you were doing.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've made a similar post not too long ago but my build has changed slightly and I'm now about to actually put orders for stuff in.
It's to be a gaming PC to go under my TV in a horizontal orientation. Here are the components I selected and my reasoning behind them, any feedback would be much appreciated:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($326.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 CPU Cooler ($78.20 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($249.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($169.99 @ Amazon)
GPU: my GTX 1080 for now, till the 3080ti comes out
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone RVZ01-E HTPC Case ($125.92 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan ($19.95 @ Amazon)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-21 03:31 EST-0500

Why I picked what I picked:

CPU Cooler: quieter and better performance than stock, doesn't put restrictions on ram height and also allows for one of the case fans to be mounted above the CPU
MB: went with an X570 since I'm hoping to keep this board for maybe two GPU upgrades, at which time the PCIe 4.0 bandwidth might be used (I asked and Silverstone told me they intend to release a PCIe 4.0 riser at some point)
RAM: the Trident Z Neo seem to be recommended as a pretty good kit, went with 32gb because RAM is pretty cheap right now and I'm hoping to not have to upgrade it for a few years by buying more
Storage: the XPG X8200 Pro seems to be a good sweet spot between affordability and performance, went with the big one because SSDs are also relatively cheap and games are enormous already
Case: I want something horizontal that allows for powerful components, the RVZ01-E offers better thermals for this than the Node 202 from what I've seen
PSU: went with the 750 since Nvidia recommends 650+ watt for a 2080ti and I've seen people post about having issues on a SF600
Case fans: slim Noctua fans to replace the standard fans (the standard fans are not PWM)
Feet: since I plan on using the case horizontally, I'll be getting 3rd party feet with higher clearance (25mm) so the GPU will have an easier time drawing air

I budgeted more than I need to for some parts (MB, RAM, PSU) in the hope of not needing to upgrade them in the next 5+years, as those would require major disassembly of the entire system (GPU can be more easily upgraded, which I intend to do at some point). As I said in the opening, any feedback would be much appreciated!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Geemer posted:

N64's terrible framerate and that poisoned my brain

Try Perfect Dark, in 16:9, in hi-res. drat. Still love it though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Might as well wait a few days to see if there are any black friday sales on those parts.

Also you can just buy the normal Noctua CPU cooler because they come with AM4 brackets now out of the box. It's $50.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-L9...6MD84TXWYTHFQJ4

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 21, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Incessant Excess posted:

I've made a similar post not too long ago but my build has changed slightly and I'm now about to actually put orders for stuff in.
It's to be a gaming PC to go under my TV in a horizontal orientation. Here are the components I selected and my reasoning behind them, any feedback would be much appreciated:

I'm assuming the answer is yes but if the TV is anything other than 4k or you don't plan on playing at 4k the 2080ti is absolutely overkill. Getting a 2080ti and planning for multiple GPU upgrades isn't necessarily something I think is happening in this system, unless you plan to aggressively "trade up" by flipping the old cards every year. There isn't anything better than a 2080ti on the market right now, and even when something comes out the 2080ti is likely still to be the #3-4 fastest consumer card in existence. For reference the 1080ti is still #5-7 on most aggregate benchmark hierarchy charts, and it hit the market in 2017. It's beginning to show its age, but still one hell of a card for non-4K. It will be a massive, massive investment for increasingly diminishing returns. That said, go nuts if you can afford this and plan to game at 4K, it will rock.

I say that only because I get the sense you're trying to "future proof" a bit and that's not really possible. If you are planning big upgrades you may be better served by a better selection of value parts today that meets current needs and just keep putting money aside each month for upgrades - if it ends up being the GPU, great, if by then its a new CPU/socket, you're not stuck.

Also I realize goons aren't all poor HS/College kids like we were 15 years ago, so if its in budget don't let me stop you, it's not my $.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Nov 21, 2019

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Man, I wish RGB companies would just adopt a single standard.

I have a farbwerk question, can I plug a Phanteks DRGB such as halos lux digital or neon strip into one of these:

and then connect that to the farbwerk 360 using:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The United States posted:

That Raijintek does not look... right.

I think if you look through all the options you're going to find that the best fit for all your needs is indeed going to be a regular tower, either MicroATX or full sized, like the SilverStone RL08 you mention or if you don't want a weird upside-down motherboard, something like the inexpensive Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case which does indeed have room for both an H100i and an optical drive as long as your GPU isn't too long:

Comedy Option: the Core v21 actually has a 5.25 bay cutout on the frame just above the fan, you just have to make a hole in the front cover for it!

(Don't do this, your GPU will block it anyway)

Real Option: Thermaltake makes a taller version of the Core v21, the Core x2, that is taller and allows you to use an optical drive while maintaining plenty of room for a 240mm radiator:

(But it's gigantic)

Unfortunately the Bitfenix Prodigy, while it does have room for 240mm radiators and does indeed have an optical drive mount, cannot use both at the same time, regardless of whether the radiator is mounted at the top or the front, there's just no room. Same goes for the Prodigy M/Colossus M, which has a hilarious inverted layout where both the radiator and GPU will interfere with the optical drive bay:

(Maybe if you use a smaller PSU and put the radiator in the bottom it's possible?)

Unfortunately the Fractal design core 500 runs into the same problem as the Prodigy, where the radiator will block the drive bay. Same goes for all the shuttle style cases that still have optical drive bays, if they even have room for 240mm radiators in the first place.

Thank you (and all). It's a little disheartening there doesn't seem to be anything as good as what I got 7 years ago. But that Core x2 and Focus Mini look pretty good. I'm not in a rush or anything so I'm gonna consider a larger reorganizing, see if I can't make a good niche for a standard tower.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

The Milkman posted:

Thank you (and all). It's a little disheartening there doesn't seem to be anything as good as what I got 7 years ago.
To be fair a lot of really good small form factor cases have released in the last seven years, it's just that none of them bother with a 5.25 inch bay

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Harminoff posted:

PC Laptops - $75.83
PC Desktop - $47.39
Projectors - $94.79
Unknown Devices - $9.48
Hard Drives - $4.74
Monitors - $23.70
Cameras - $4.74
Cables/RAM - $1

So just got back from this. Was a three hour line in front of me. Ended up picking up two Dell Z220 with i7 3770, and 18 gigs of ram. Should be able to run sims and whatnot ok I'd imagine.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
That seems like a great deal, is it actually 18gb of ram? seems like it would be 16 in a 4x4 or 2x8gb configuration.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
16 yeah, mistyped. Video cards are just Nvidia quadpro k2000's so think I should just need to put a different video card in them and be set? Maybe grab some ssd's

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 21, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Harminoff posted:

So just got back from this. Was a three hour line in front of me. Ended up picking up two Dell Z220 with i7 3770, and 18 gigs of ram. Should be able to run sims and whatnot ok I'd imagine.

This will rip at The Sims yeah. Is it a mini tower? Perfect find. If it doesn't have an SSD you can get one for dirt cheap.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Minimum ram requirements for Half Life 3/Alyx is 12 gigs of ram. Might be time to just get 32 gigs.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Convertable Mini Tower. Looks to be this one

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-wo...ghz-16-gb-2-tb/

But with a much smaller hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mu Zeta posted:

Minimum ram requirements for Half Life 3/Alyx is 12 gigs of ram. Might be time to just get 32 gigs.

drat, wonder if that's due to some very VR specific requirements, since Source 2 isn't exactly pushing the visual envelope normally.