Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Is there any point to online play? (PC) There's not a lot to do and I can't even tame horses, matchmaking stuff barely scrapes past the limit and I haven't been able to do any of the weird supernatural event, it's always just me and another guy waiting in a lobby that never fills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Agarita flower can suck my loving dick.

And I think I cursed myself naming my horse Freckles. Managed to get trampled to death by my own horse.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

the fun is where you find it really online.
the stories are not that flash but the trades are a good source of gold and cash and arent as grindy as their gtao equivalents.

there are still random strangers needing help/trying to trap you. barking dogs to follow. a shitload of treasure maps. if you want more RDR after the story its a change but its good.

its still a bit shaky and probably always will be to an extent. disconnects are the most common hassle.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

TorakFade posted:

I hate how the game gives you instruction to loot everything and everyone during the "tutorial", but then after every mission your gang whines about getting away ASAP and keep pressuring you to leave the place

no guys, I don't care, we killed a couple dozens of people and I have to steal the valuables off their cold, dead corpses - and if the cops arrive we'll kill them and loot them too.

I haven't had random people come and try to loot my kills yet, but yea I guess that would infuriate me too :v:

I actually just did the mission in chapter 2 where you follow Kiernan to the O'Driscoll's camp and get introduced to stealth gameplay and shortly after the massacre while I was lazily looting corpses, I was alerted that the friggin law was on the way... naturally I skedaddled cause I would've been in biiiig trouble.

This makes me nervous about sticking around after future missions and whatnot to loot the battlefield, was this scripted to happen or can this actually happen with any sort of frequency?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Deakul posted:

I actually just did the mission in chapter 2 where you follow Kiernan to the O'Driscoll's camp and get introduced to stealth gameplay and shortly after the massacre while I was lazily looting corpses, I was alerted that the friggin law was on the way... naturally I skedaddled cause I would've been in biiiig trouble.

This makes me nervous about sticking around after future missions and whatnot to loot the battlefield, was this scripted to happen or can this actually happen with any sort of frequency?

I honestly have no idea. It seems in some missions, despite your buddies telling you to hurry up and acting all scared, nothing will happen and you can gleefully loot the dozens of corpses, taking half an ingame day, and no one will show up

in others, after about 2 minutes from the final cutscene/mission end, the law will start investigating

I *think* it has to do with who you're killing: if they're a gang of hidden outlaws where no one would logically know where they even were, nothing will happen, while if you're killing "honest" citizens in their not-secret ranch with dynamite, stands to reason that someone would hear and send lawmen to investigate... but again, that's just my feeling, I have no source on this

Deketh posted:

Quick question about stirrups: when I go to the stables, there's a list of new stirrups I can buy but none of them show any stat increases. Aren't they meant to effect horsey stats?

They are, and they do, just you won't see the effects while buying them (for no discernible reason). You will see the effects when you equip them, it's either 0/+1/+2 to stamina and acceleration, and up to -50% stamina core drain. Obviously the more expensive ones are better, here's a link to a wiki page with details so you don't have to buy them ingame to see the effects and waste your money.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

TorakFade posted:

They are, and they do, just you won't see the effects while buying them (for no discernible reason). You will see the effects when you equip them, it's either 0/+1/+2 to stamina and acceleration, and up to -50% stamina core drain. Obviously the more expensive ones are better, here's a link to a wiki page with details so you don't have to buy them ingame to see the effects and waste your money.

I see, thanks. I'll have a look tonight, does the stat increase show up as the yellow blocks on the horse info screen?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I think I might have fixed my RDO crashing issue. I had made system.xml read-only with fullscreen enabled. Apparently DX12 doesn't support that.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Demiurge4 posted:

Is there any point to online play? (PC) There's not a lot to do and I can't even tame horses, matchmaking stuff barely scrapes past the limit and I haven't been able to do any of the weird supernatural event, it's always just me and another guy waiting in a lobby that never fills.

Cause trouble and have fun. The game is infinitely more fun with buddies.

The problem you're likely experiencing is that the default state for all users on PC is the auto-assist lobbies and not the free aim, even if you aren't using a controller. It's really lovely but all you can do is spread the word to people using KBM to adjust their settings.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wait what. What settings?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

SplitSoul posted:

Agarita flower can suck my loving dick.

And I think I cursed myself naming my horse Freckles. Managed to get trampled to death by my own horse.
I thought Freckles was blocked by the language filter for whatever reason. Maybe that was only on console, or the filter was tweaked at some point after the initial launch.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Demiurge4 posted:

Go to Settings > Controls > Controller when you're not logged into online and there is an option to change from Aim Assist to Free Aim. Even if you are using KBM this is how you change what kind of lobbies you get. A lot of Free Aim lobbies are supposedly empty because folks aren't aware of this.

Also: Agarita only appears at night.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Demiurge4 posted:

Defaults on PC will set controller to "normal mode", which means you can use a controller and lock-on to people/NPCs . This means if you're playing PVP with KB+M you're playing as a sucker because you have manual aim and everyone with a controller has aimbot on a button.

If you set your Controller settings to "Free Aim", you'll only get matched with other free-aimers.

TorakFade posted:

I'm 90% sure you can just hit Space and it will show you the actual stats it would apply. At least last time I upgraded stirrups I could see the core drain rate stats for it and such.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Deketh posted:

How in the world do you do tricks? Never seen that option before on PC. Or is it an online thing?

Arthur twirls his handgun if you double tap the draw button to put it back into the holster

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Fyi get rid of any overlay program. Xbox game bar, steam overlay, what have you. The game will flicker and bug out sending your cursor behind the program and back to the desktop.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

How are folks taking nice screenshots online?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I used the Xbox game bar since it was installed due to trying out outer worlds. I've uninstalled it since it doesn't play well.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Xbox hueg Game Bar doesn't seem to do anything one way or another for me. :shrug: Latest patch has reintroduced rare-but-getting-less-so freezing and even an actual CTD when looting Xavier's school. Man-Made Mutant house

Are people gonna get bitchy if I hop a freight train to shoot birdies? I *am* getting better at going Deadeye/snapfiring sparrows and such, but think the game should have a .22 pistol for birding, or maybe a Marble's Game-Getter kind of thing. Shoulder-stocked S&W Model 3 would be nice...

(Actually, keep all (or nearly all) of the RDR2 gameplay, add in the gear/clothing/weapon modding of Fallout, singleplayer only. Let me have my dual Merwin Hulbert Pocket Armys in nickle with cobalt-blued screws and assorted parts. :clint:)

Bounty update: Lindsey "Lemoyne Raiders" Wofford took the "dead" option of "dead or alive" by dodging into a group of assholes I was targeting in Deadeye. Oh well.

Horsie update: how the hell is Roach, my bigass warhorse, winning all these rando races? Just because he's dumb (IE, default horse) and will just keep charging when I put the hammer down? I expected I'd need one of the prettier/twitchier thoroughbred types for racing. He even outran the wolf attack that popped during the race. :getout:

Public Service update: another Klan meeting, this time it was twin custom Schofields and a full load of gold Deadeye - only one burned, the rest made restitution (were looted).

Guess I need to watch for random posters now, too - got a small-game hunt, and a missing Princess - not sure whether they need the whole Princess or just a perfect skin...

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Idk I've barely touched the single player. I imagine people would be annoyed if you were shooting on a train if they were nearby

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Glenn Quebec posted:

Idk I've barely touched the single player. I imagine people would be annoyed if you were shooting on a train if they were nearby

I'm mainly thinking of railroad employees taking shots at me. I know the other day I started poo poo in St Denis and when leaving under hot pursuit, some dickweed in the caboose of a nearby train started shooting as well. Also hope the kid I helped escape from the cops (which caused the pursuit) isn't one of the punks that tried to rob me (which caused a different pursuit after they all got shot).

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Stop breakin the law, boah

Edit: For Online, is there a point in keeping a second horse? Collector turns out to be a little ridiculous and I made collector rank 20 and over $2500 in no time, so I was able to get the $950 collector horse. My previous literal workhorse was the chonky rank 1 Bountyhunter breton

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 21, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I tried to rob a train once in singleplayer but there didn't seem to be anything on it. None of the passengers reacted to my attempting to rob them. It was super weird.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I heard that the game is good, but the PC port suffers from some issues. Are those mostly fixed now?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Fishstick posted:

Edit: For Online, is there a point in keeping a second horse? Collector turns out to be a little ridiculous and I made collector rank 20 and over $2500 in no time, so I was able to get the $950 collector horse. My previous literal workhorse was the chonky rank 1 Bountyhunter breton

There's an achievement to own five horses simultaneously, and I think it gives you a belt buckle too. There's an option in the Player Menu under Stables where you can dictate what horse is used for what kind of events (races, takedowns, etc.) if you want to try and maximize that use.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I heard that the game is good, but the PC port suffers from some issues. Are those mostly fixed now?

Getting there but if you're unsure about dealing with them I'd wait a bit longer, at least.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

This is pure speculation but I imagine they are trying to fix it in time for the Steam release.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Fishstick posted:

When my horse gets shot out from underneath me and needs to heal I can summon another.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Varies widely by configuration i think. I've personally had little issues in 60 hrs, maybe 1 crash and 1 online disconnect, but I've mostly played Online. A friend had the stuttering issue but that seems resolved now.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

I think they’ve fixed the “everyone with an i5 has stuttering problem” finally, which was the big one. It took about 3 patches.

Also very early on some people with a particular ryzen motherboard had to update their BIOS, which I don’t think I’ve heard of a BIOS update specifically for one game before.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

For me yes, was occasionally crashing with an i5 but I'm good to go now. The images at the bottom of this guide have a real nice tradeoff between quality and performance. The visuals look quite good this way.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Arthur twirls his handgun if you double tap the draw button to put it back into the holster

Has anyone been able to do this with keyboard/mouse? I can only get it to happen with a controller.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

This game has better roleplayers than actual RPGs. I've joined several random posses where everyone was spontaneously roleplaying while we guarded wagons and went hunting and it was a blast.

One thing I don't understand is if there is a reward incentive to help strangers with their trade roles. A lot of leaders will keep taking bounties or wagon missions. Does everyone advance from that or only the host?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

There's no incentive to help people not in your posse other than XP and corpse looting.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is the Steam release date really sometime in December or is that just a rumour based on a datamined page and it could be months?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Pretty sure double tapping tab gives you a twirl, no?

Don't forget to remove the CPU balancing command line argument if you haven't already.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ILL Machina posted:

Pretty sure double tapping tab gives you a twirl, no?

Yep, works for me. Some people have said before it doesn't work for them though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pierson posted:

Is the Steam release date really sometime in December or is that just a rumour based on a datamined page and it could be months?

The horse's mouth.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hell yeah, thanks man.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Lenny's trainer works, but the outfit changer mod crashes on launch every time :argh:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Capn Beeb posted:

Lenny's trainer works, but the outfit changer mod crashes on launch every time :argh:

Awwww. :smith:

I was gonna use it to make some nice 3rd Street Saints getups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Is anyone else getting random rainbow colored boxes on the right side of their screen after one of the most recent patches? My build is an i7-8700K, GTX 1080TI for reference. It started around 2 days ago, when I also found that the patch had reset my graphics settings.