Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ungulateman posted:

Look, green is the color of accepting your destiny and predetermination, so it should have gobs of card draw and absolutely zero ability to filter for them. Give all the card selection card draw to blue.

(Yes, Divination should be green.)

Harmonize is a good card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Had a great time playing Brawl today with my new Golos deck. It's fun doing crazy ramp poo poo with Field of the Dead in a format where it's not utterly busted. If only I could play it any other day of the week :smith:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

went 8-0 with jund cat food tonight before i got lifted so i guess i'll concede it's a real deck now

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I'm having a lot of fun with jeskai fires superfriends in bo1 since there's a lot of aggro and you get the full 15 wish targets. It's fun to resolve all the biggest splashiest spells in the game. When else are you gonna be able to cast thought distortion to exile five cards from the opponent's hand and all the artifacts they were hoping to reanimate? Or make cats and red cry with ethereal absolution? It's great.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Playing that mono white aggro deck and it feels really good to beat tuned constructed decks to death with a bunch of draft chaff I tell ya

Of course you just fold instantly to sweepers but who doesn't like to live dangerously

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Man, my wildcard balance is all out of whack. I have nearing 100 common and uncommon ones just lying around doing nothing, 16 mythics (and that's only because I crafted a bunch of Bolases and Chandras because I wanted to try out Grixis Fires) but only a single rare one. It's pretty weird when I feel more safe crafting a random mythic but have to think really carefully about rares. And I still don't even have a full playset of all the shocks! Honestly the biggest barrier to trying new decks for me right now is spells like Bedevil, Legion's End, Assassin's Trophy etc. that don't have any good alternatives if you want to stay competitive with certain other cards, but feel really bad to craft for some reason.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Harmonize is a good card

In fairness Harmonize is from Planar Chaos in which the whole gimmick was wacky off-color poo poo. Stingscouger and Mana Tithe were particularly wtf:

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Planar_Chaos

quote:

In keeping with the theme of alternate realities converging, Planar Chaos features numerous cards with abilities "usually" assigned to another color:

White received shroud (then "This creature can't be the target of spells and abilities.") (e.g. Calciderm), regeneration (e.g. Revered Dead), countering (e.g. Mana Tithe) and returning creatures to your hand (e.g. Stormfront Riders).

Blue received vigilance (e.g. Serra Sphinx), discard (e.g. Piracy Charm), giving creatures +X/-X or -X/+X (e.g. Shaper Parasite) and the ability to destroy creatures (e.g. Pongify).

Black received first strike (e.g. Spitting Sliver), lifelink-like effects (e.g. Vampiric Link), control effects (e.g. Enslave), tapping creatures (e.g. Midnight Charm), and spell/damage redirection (e.g. Muck Drubb).

Red received reach (e.g. Needlepeak Spider), trample (e.g. Battering Sliver), fear-like effects (e.g. Skirk Shaman), "pump" effects (e.g. Fatal Frenzy), returning opponent's permanents (e.g. Stingscourger) and spells that target flying creatures (e.g Hammerheim Deadeye).

Green received flying (e.g. Giant Dustwasp), haste (e.g. Reflex Sliver), life gain/damage prevention (e.g. Essence Warden), card-drawing effects (e.g. Harmonize) and returning creatures from the graveyard (e.g. Deadwood Treefolk).

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

And since then red has received reach, menace and stuff that targets flying creatures maybe I don't care to look it up. edit: no I remember, it got that sorcery in m20. It's actually efficient! Also green now has haste, and recursion, and whatever. Blue getting everything is nothing new. The color pie changes, a lot. Except blue. Blue gets everything balanced on the altar of sacrificing two mana hard counters, which the old guard weep and tremble at on the daily.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Man, my wildcard balance is all out of whack. I have nearing 100 common and uncommon ones just lying around doing nothing, 16 mythics (and that's only because I crafted a bunch of Bolases and Chandras because I wanted to try out Grixis Fires) but only a single rare one.
I seriously don't understand how people have this issue. I drained my WCs in m20 not opening packs til ELD and since then I'm always worried about running out of mythics while rares I just have a safe number of. Arguably a pile. They come in pretty fast.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Spiderdrake posted:

I seriously don't understand how people have this issue. I drained my WCs in m20 not opening packs til ELD and since then I'm always worried about running out of mythics while rares I just have a safe number of. Arguably a pile. They come in pretty fast.

I think it's the mana base, as usual, that's doing a lot of the work here. Between just the shocks and temples, that's 60 wildcards right there just for the bare essentials. Add to that 4-of utility cards like the aforementioned Bedevil, Legion's End, Assassin's Trophy, Absorb, Kaya's Wrath, Deafening Clarion, Deputy of Detentions, plus whatever else makes the decks you want to build actually do something. By comparison, there are relatively few mythics that are actually worth crafting; the only one that's absolutely core to the deck that plays it is Arclight Phoenix, though there are strong reasons for cards like Spawn of Mayhem, Embercleave, Hydroid Krasis and Korvold for the decks that want them. Honestly a lot of the other mythics are strong but replaceable.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 21, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nobody is running 4 copies of Legion’s End, Assassin’s Trophy, or Bedevil in any deck right now.

Focus on building towards whatever deck you have most of the manabase towards. Build towards until you have a good deck. You can run suboptimal mana bases if you have the cards to play it, it’s better than have 10-15 bad decks that all fee lovely to play.

You should also burn tour commons and uncommons on whatever set you’re opening packs in, that way you’ll fill up your vault quicker and get more gold WC back faster

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!

Bust Rodd posted:

...Anyways Twitch Rivals is sweet, here is Emma Handy’s ABZAN FUD

https://twitter.com/em_teegee/status/1196931610853031937?s=21

I've only played a few games with it but this deck is both good and fun.

Here is the import if anyone wants it.

Deck
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
1 Ethereal Absolution (RNA) 170
2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
3 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
1 Ugin, the Ineffable (WAR) 2
4 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
2 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
4 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
3 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
4 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
4 Trail of Crumbs (ELD) 179
4 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
4 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
2 Plains (ELD) 253
3 Swamp (ELD) 261
2 Forest (ELD) 269

Sideboard
1 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
1 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
2 Rotting Regisaur (M20) 111
4 Duress (M19) 94

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

I've only played a few games with it but this deck is both good and fun.

Here is the import if anyone wants it.

Deck
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
3 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
1 Ugin, the Ineffable (WAR) 2
4 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
2 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
4 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
3 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
4 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
4 Trail of Crumbs (ELD) 179
4 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
4 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
2 Plains (ELD) 253
3 Swamp (ELD) 261
2 Forest (ELD) 269

Sideboard
1 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
1 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
2 Rotting Regisaur (M20) 111
4 Duress (M19) 94

if you don’t call this deck Junk Food, what is wrong with you

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I realized that what I need to make Mardu Reanimator Fires work is Kenrith. Merchant of the Veil is AMAZING, I misread that card and thought its ability required him to tap, being able to filter through is incredible.

The more I'm playing the deck the more it feels like it wants to be a Command the Dreadhorde + The Wanderer combo deck. I just need to figure out the right balance between Kaya's Wrath, Bedevil, Murderous Rider, and Deafening Clarion. Kenrith and Cavalier help Drakuseth and Vilis to close out the game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

zoux posted:

OTOH: couldn't be happier.

Ok this is a dumbass noob question so bear with me, but how exactly am I supposed to use Cav of Gales. Right now the only trick I use with it is to set up my hand for a good discard/draw with Flames, is there a rule of thumb about what to send back and what to keep. I know it's not really changing anything but it's so frustrating to draw two lands and have to put them back on top.

Also, that Zvi list that went 6-0 in the Fandom Rivals thing doesn't run Fae and has an honest sideboard and I actually like it more

Once you have fires of invention out you never need to crack your fabled passages. Just keep them around until you want to shuffle stuff away.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Comes down to how long you've been playing I think. You need a ton of rares when you're starting out, but cracking enough packs with the dupe protection will soon fill out your rare collection while leaving gaps in your mythic pile.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've finally flipped around where I have 20+ rares and fewer than 10 mythics. I think ToE has just been a mythic-heavy set vs War and M20, where the good mythics are often more like 2-ofs than 4-ofs.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think length of time playing also matters. If I had been playing Arena heavily pre-War of the Spark I'd probably have all of the lands I'd need already instead of having to get them piecemeal now. Playing Jeskai or Esper would cost me like 10 rare wildcards on the manabase alone, and basically 0 mythics.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Huxley posted:

Yeah, I've finally flipped around where I have 20+ rares and fewer than 10 mythics. I think ToE has just been a mythic-heavy set vs War and M20, where the good mythics are often more like 2-ofs than 4-ofs.

I feel that ELD's mythics are 3-4x's of, where as previous mythics had been 2-3x of, in addition to how many of the mythics were playable.

It really felt like I had to get/craft a ton more mythics this time around.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
Robber of the Rich and Brazen Borrower are two of the most "feels bad" mythics you can spend WCs on

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Brazen borrower is exactly the kind of card I enjoy playing so it felt fine to me!

Things like QB feel worse to me because it's a dumb mythic constant 4-of pillar that the format is designed around.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Bust Rodd posted:

I realized that what I need to make Mardu Reanimator Fires work is Kenrith. Merchant of the Veil is AMAZING, I misread that card and thought its ability required him to tap, being able to filter through is incredible.

The more I'm playing the deck the more it feels like it wants to be a Command the Dreadhorde + The Wanderer combo deck. I just need to figure out the right balance between Kaya's Wrath, Bedevil, Murderous Rider, and Deafening Clarion. Kenrith and Cavalier help Drakuseth and Vilis to close out the game.

Do you have a rough decklist? If it isn't too bad on the WC's, I'd love to put together something like this.

seizure later posted:

Robber of the Rich and Brazen Borrower are two of the most "feels bad" mythics you can spend WCs on

I dunno, they've both been useful enough in most of my decks that I've built that I don't regret spending WC's on them. Especially Brazen Borrower, I've put that in pretty much all of my blue decks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Brazen Borrower is officially the strongest Blue card in this format, try and change my mind

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anyone have some cool Historic brews for the event? there's some hot stuff in the new cards

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

Brazen Borrower is officially the strongest Blue card in this format, try and change my mind

Cavalier of Gales is incredible

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I am very glad that Rakdos Knights is good, although I feel contempt for people who do stupid poo poo like the dumb cat baking deck, and I have dedicated my life to ruining the fun and joy of control deck players because it is a categorically wrong way to play a card game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SunAndSpring posted:

I am very glad that Rakdos Knights is good, although I feel contempt for people who do stupid poo poo like the dumb cat baking deck, and I have dedicated my life to ruining the fun and joy of control deck players because it is a categorically wrong way to play a card game.

4 Leyline of the Void = Cats don’t come back

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

Anyone have some cool Historic brews for the event? there's some hot stuff in the new cards

First thing I'm making is a Llanowar Elves/Lovestruck Beast/Burning Tree Emissary deck.

Then probably a Goblin Matron deck.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Elf ball seems viable for historic but I will probably just play vamps.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Bust Rodd posted:

4 Leyline of the Void = Cats don’t come back
Someone got a real easy win off me two days ago when he had Leyline of the Void in his opening hand. As soon as it dropped, I conceded.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lmao the friends list is the drat fireworks factory

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Cavalier of Gales is incredible

I agree but it literally only sees play in 1 deck that i know of. Borrower is EVERYWHERE and rightly so. It's like the most insane pure tempo card printed in years.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lol what happened to giving out the new historic cards

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

zoux posted:

lmao the friends list is the drat fireworks factory

It's in the same box as player draft queues, as in it isn't coming anytime soon.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What exactly do the developers of MTG:A work on if not a friends list and a player draft

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hmmm $20 for the a playset of all the new historic cards, lol WotC you gotta do better than that

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Hmmm $20 for the a playset of all the new historic cards, lol WotC you gotta do better than that

Maybe it made more sense with double wildcard redemption.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Doltos posted:

What exactly do the developers of MTG:A work on if not a friends list and a player draft

Memory leaks and more momir variants.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArCzEmTy6yQ

FYI the Twitch Rivals 75K Finals was Jund Food vs Golgari Adventures

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Huxley posted:

Maybe it made more sense with double wildcard redemption.

That is 1:1 after everyone yelled at wotc.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArCzEmTy6yQ

FYI the Twitch Rivals 75K Finals was Jund Food vs Golgari Adventures

I would not have been able to keep my composure if I was commentating a match where the cat food player's name was sandoiche.