Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
…in which, we discuss the bi-weekly podcast that discusses the very worst people and things in history, with frequent comedic asides! BtB’s host is one Robert Evans no, not that one , conflict journalist, former Cracked writer, author of a book about slurping some salamander, current Bellingcat contributor, and overall pod-caster.

There isn’t any sort of plot or order to BtB, as most subjects span 1-3 episodes, about an hour and change long. However, SWIM I’d heartily recommend starting from Episode 1 as it sets your base of Farting Hitler, and will gradually escalate to a full Bleach Drink fourth plateau-esque experience.

Additionally, there are guest hosts! Sophie, who deserves her own hour of power, honestly! One pumps, with the possibility of one cream to follow! Many callbacks to past episodes, whether subject-related or not.

A solid taste of ”is this show my speed?” would be the Alex Jones four-parter, which also sounds like a pizza topping that would give you immediate gout. Alternatively the L.Ron one, that’s one you pour a stiff drink to. However, there are more serious episodes, such as the recent one on current uprisings (Rojava, Hong Kong, Lebanon, among others), and the Georgia Tann episode. Luckily, all of the episodes (minus the one that you can’t at all find if you look, should one hypothetically do so) are here, and on pretty much all places where pods are casted.

https://www.behindthebastards.com

teen witch fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Can I gently request a mod to make the title ”What’s swingin’, my machetes! It’s Behind the Bastards” as this is the thread title i got absurdly upset with after i kept getting dinged. Should that not work out, I’ll settle for ”Machetes!”

teen witch fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 18, 2019

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Getting in on the ground floor to call out this quackery. I am an actual reverend doctor of macheticine, and what the supposed reverend doctor Evans is selling as macheticine, is nothing more than snake oil.

I really enjoyed the good guy xmas bonus episode about the Swedish dude who realised the power of a confident white man to yell at nazis until they freed a bunch of people.

Edited to add: PRODUCTS!!!!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 17, 2019

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Love the show. Although, as I said in the podcast rec thread, I sometimes can’t handle how horrible some of the bastards really are.
As a bit of an exception, the Steven seagal ones are hilarious, even though he also is a loving monster.

Send_Ninjas
Oct 10, 2006
Have we figured out what his forums handle was?

He occasionally talks about having been a goon in the past.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

mrfart posted:

Love the show. Although, as I said in the podcast rec thread, I sometimes can’t handle how horrible some of the bastards really are.
As a bit of an exception, the Steven seagal ones are hilarious, even though he also is a loving monster.

Ahem

even though he is history's greatest monster

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Send_Ninjas posted:

Have we figured out what his forums handle was?

He occasionally talks about having been a goon in the past.

I think I have an idea as to who, but mums the word as to not make it weird. I’m not going to potentially out him, despite the grandiose wealth and riches I’ve been offered to do so.

Should he make himself visible, his call! but let’s not make it weird unless all parties choose to do so, and then we go into the woods and finally make it weird
under the moonlight with some daggers and some Sabbath.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

He’d probably have to make a new account so we can’t read all his embarrassing tcc posts

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Snowy posted:

He’d probably have to make a new account so we can’t read all his embarrassing tcc posts

No he has an active account. But I have no idea who it is, nor if he still posts a lot.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

mrfart posted:

No he has an active account. But I have no idea who it is, nor if he still posts a lot.

I thought he said in his last episode (The man trying to resurrect 8chan...) that he got banned? I also unironically love the Behind the Bastards podcast, even though some of the bastards make me physically ill. I'm surprised the Dutch and their history of bastardism haven't shown up yet. We're unironically pretty horrible.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

An insane mind posted:

I thought he said in his last episode (The man trying to resurrect 8chan...) that he got banned? I also unironically love the Behind the Bastards podcast, even though some of the bastards make me physically ill. I'm surprised the Dutch and their history of bastardism haven't shown up yet. We're unironically pretty horrible.

yes, but I asked him on twitter and he bought a new account afterwards.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

mrfart posted:

yes, but I asked him on twitter and he bought a new account afterwards.

Oh apologies, I just thought I knew something but no...still dumb :D

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

An insane mind posted:

You lot showed up briefly in the episode on the East Indies, but as with a lot of things to do with empire, you got beat out by the Brits.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Any idea for this week’s episode? Or episodes you hope happen?

I’m gunning for less bastards as a singular person and more multiple bastards in a bastard event, like the Bhopal one. A multibastard pile up.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I would like an episode on Steve Bannon in Europe, though I have only come to BtB recently and might have missed an episode here or there dealing with Bannon. Failing that, an alt-right round up could be very interesting.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Well I have run out of episodes of Chapo and The Magnus Archives and need some playing in the back ground while at work and this has peaked my interest.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I like this podcast quite a bit and robert evans is pretty good, but I honestly think it may have the biggest variance of quality in any podcast I like between its strong and weak episodes.

I think a lot of it has to do with the guest. As examples, bill cosby and Steven seagal are exceptional episodes, and both of them have strong guests

Sometimes he gets people on who dont add much other than "oh my god how appalling I can't even" and the eps end up a bit lacking for it. He seems to be at his best with a good foil

Also, its sister show Worst Year Ever is worth a listen as kind of like a Chapo-lite

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 18, 2019

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I knew a little about Steven Segal and why he’s had beforehand but I wasn’t expecting the depths that episode would go.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's a good show.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Maybe an episode about Chris Kyle? I mean there are still people who think he was nothing less than a hero when he was pretty obviously a psychopath who accidentally saved other soldiers while killing people.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

An insane mind posted:

Maybe an episode about Chris Kyle? I mean there are still people who think he was nothing less than a hero when he was pretty obviously a psychopath who accidentally saved other soldiers while killing people.

That’ll get Robert possibly killed but ooh, it’d be a good one.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I don’t know what it was with that movie about him, but it got several people around me who would normally hate him to think he was someone who should be vindicated by history.

Also it has the worst fake baby.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Listening to this Kaiser Wilhem episode and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfsS3pIDBfw

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I'm finding I really enjoy history podcasts. Robert also has a good 'radio voice' I think, some of his guests don't however.
I never really got into podcasts before, would anyone be willing to point me to a good 'repository' I guess of history based podcasts?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

An insane mind posted:

I'm finding I really enjoy history podcasts. Robert also has a good 'radio voice' I think, some of his guests don't however.
I never really got into podcasts before, would anyone be willing to point me to a good 'repository' I guess of history based podcasts?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532486
Check the first post, it has a bunch of recommendations.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

An insane mind posted:

History of Rome? That should be mandatory. The first episodes are really rough, though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

teen witch posted:

Listening to this Kaiser Wilhem episode and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfsS3pIDBfw

I was thinking more a Farewell to Arms.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Is there a list of sources for "It could happen here"?
He mentions this one the most: https://www.amazon.com/Cities-Under-Siege-Military-Urbanism/dp/1844677621, but there is some other stuff I wanna read about.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Oh wow, I'm surprised this thread is so young(literally googled 'Something awful behind the bastards' to try and find a thread lol). I know there's quite a few listeners on SA because recent topics of the podcast happen to be subtly brought up in threads I follow from time to time haha. Curious what Robert's banned post is.

Also, I second listening to "History of Rome". Great history podcast.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
It's a bit annoying that despite the extensive research Evans does he never looks up the pronunciations of people's names. And considering how often he covers bastards that aren't American that's kind of a problem.

Besides that it really is an excellent podcast though.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Putting a fiver in the eventual pool that Evans was banned in the HillPurge of 16.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's a bit annoying that despite the extensive research Evans does he never looks up the pronunciations of people's names. And considering how often he covers bastards that aren't American that's kind of a problem.

Besides that it really is an excellent podcast though.

I agree, but it's also really American and somehow endearing. I am now starting the Kaiser Wilhelm episode, I've high expectations.

Also thanks to everyone for the recommendations, I've slept one hour since yesterday just been listening to podcasts @_@ This is gunna be a great weekend.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

Putting a fiver in the eventual pool that Evans was banned in the HillPurge of 16.

Some say Evans still roams the boards, violently throwing anything that comes near him...

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wait we're talking history podcasts and the FIRST one that comes up isn't Hardcore History?

Dan has a voice made for radio. A face too.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
sophie is his producer, not a guest star

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

sophie is his producer, not a guest star

Sophie IS the star, let’s be real.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

teen witch posted:

Sophie IS the star, let’s be real.

well yeah her and Anderson, but you listed her as a guest star in the OP

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

well yeah her and Anderson, but you listed her as a guest star in the OP

Ah no I meant it like individual statements separated by exclamation points, but I can see how it can be construed that way.

Plus, if I’d ever highlight a guest, it’d be Billy Wayne Davis.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

MA-Horus posted:

Wait we're talking history podcasts and the FIRST one that comes up isn't Hardcore History?

Dan has a voice made for radio. A face too.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532486
History podcast thread. The first podcast brought up is actually Hardcore History.

catapede posted:

Oh wow, I'm surprised this thread is so young(literally googled 'Something awful behind the bastards' to try and find a thread lol). I know there's quite a few listeners on SA because recent topics of the podcast happen to be subtly brought up in threads I follow from time to time haha. Curious what Robert's banned post is.

Also, I second listening to "History of Rome". Great history podcast.
His podcast was discussed pretty often in the history podcast but someone finally made a thread for it specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

teen witch posted:

Ah no I meant it like individual statements separated by exclamation points, but I can see how it can be construed that way.

Plus, if I’d ever highlight a guest, it’d be Billy Wayne Davis.

Billy Wayne and Edgar Momplaisir are two of my favorite regular guests. Jamie and Cody kinda get up my nose (especially when they beat a joke to death, which they constantly do) but I can live with it.