Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also google abandoned google fiber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Given the Canadian soil once swallowed a train and tracks whole I can kind of imagine why building infrastructure would be a challenge.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Clerical Terrors posted:

Given the Canadian soil once swallowed a train and tracks whole I can kind of imagine why building infrastructure would be a challenge.

Wait what, when did this happen?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Kamrat posted:

Wait what, when did this happen?

http://www.okthepk.ca/dataCprSiding/cprNews/cpNews30/83100501.htm

Muskeg is wild.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr.Radar posted:

Gamers Nexus also has scathing coverage of the Stadia launch:
Giant Bomb did too, and they're basically like "this is not great but it's okay for specific people I guess"

the Just Dance segment is Very Good, been a while since I've seen veteran Videogames.com's own Jeff Gerstmann be just gobsmacked by something but then the second phone bit happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFpHPFLbCM&t=1772s

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1197450820998115328?s=20

We finally have a countdown for "The Prequels are Good Actually"

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Didn't he already do that video or was that somebody else?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

0 rows returned posted:

Didn't he already do that video or was that somebody else?

He's started to as a bit a few times

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wow I can't believe Hbomb is now a capitalist demanding 7.5k to put the stuff he posts freely in this thread to video form

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Leal posted:

Wow I can't believe Hbomb is now a capitalist demanding 7.5k to put the stuff he posts freely in this thread to video form

I was about to say, yes, the man has truly come full circle. remember when he used to wax on to the point of probation because we all thought he was trolling? Good times

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I was about to say, yes, the man has truly come full circle. remember when he used to wax on to the point of probation because we all thought he was trolling? Good times

I will defend the prequels in his place.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MonsieurChoc posted:

I will defend the prequels in his place.

Eh, no need, a markov chain with SMG quotes will do it equally well.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The prequels are interesting because they maybe look like they're trying to do something interesting but failing, or maybe they've become this cinematic Rorschach where you can find profundity in the static.

For example, all but two Jedi are killed, and there's always two Sith. Anakin actually fulfilled the prophecy and brought balance to the force. It's a nice little point, but who knows if Lucas meant to do that.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Bug Squash posted:

For example, all but two Jedi are killed, and there's always two Sith. Anakin actually fulfilled the prophecy and brought balance to the force. It's a nice little point, but who knows if Lucas meant to do that.

He didn't (according to Lucas, the Dark Side imbalances the force by its very presence), but it continues into the original trilogy, where when a third Jedi shows up, Anakin kills one bringing it back to two, and then when one of the two remaining Jedi die, he brings it down to one. And then he fucks it up by dying, the idiot.

I honestly like the idea of Lucas's interpretation being the Jedi's interpretation but what actually happened being what it actually meant.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't give a toss about Pathologic, so here's Chris Davis on the 8/10 game of year: The Outer Worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Tnz17r_KI

By now I hold him in high regard over Joseph Anderson because he's more prolific and less of the type who hits the skill-ceiling in Hollow Knight and still says it's too easy.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I do wonder how kids growing up with the latest trilogy will eventually receive the prequels vs the originals since TFA et al are essentially "their" Star Wars. Like as somebody who was in grade school when The Phantom Menace came out I didn't really see them as outright bad or anything since I didn't have any other point of comparison, they were just.. fine I guess?

Like imagine being born a decade from now and just being able to watch all three of the trilogies one day with zero bias going into any of them. Can't wait for the long form video essay in 20+ years about how Star Wars as a whole is just, like, whatever man

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Didn't George Lucas originally want Star Wars to be about magic mitochondria anyway?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Would have been way better than 3rd Birthday.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hbomb you're still an EU citizen by the grace of the purgatory known as Brexit, why are you releasing videos at EU midnight. :argh:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Would have been way better than 3rd Birthday.
But still worse than A Wrinkle in Time.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

So folk remember Legends of Localization, an enterprise by the guy who translated Mother 3 and made all of those neat books that are all about translation, right?

Today he shared a video he used to have on his patreon (still delisted, hence why I'm sharing the tweet that goes there and not the video itself, but you can click thru anyway) on how That American Police Magazine Cover With the Policeman Eating a Lot of Carl Jr's came to be:

https://twitter.com/ClydeMandelin/status/1197602571268919297

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
^^ That picture is a great example of the reverse poe's law.

Also, for the Gordon Ramsey fans. A Marxist reading of Kitchen Nightmares.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6y8R70B0xw

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hbomb is just armond white for leftists

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Hbomb is just armond white for leftists

considering how loved armond white is in hbomb's old stomping grounds, duh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Liking the prequels isn’t controversial these days since all the people who grew up with them are teenagers-people in their 20’s.

The memes helped a lot too

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I think the prequels suck rear end but I’d rather have people be nostalgic for them over people who are obsessed with the plinket reviews

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there's enough distance from their original release now that it's easier to separate out bits and pieces of the prequels and bring them back together to reconstruct them into being a cohesive whole rather than the muddled messes overflowing with tonal whiplash that they actually are.

like, if your only exposure to the prequels was the competently choreographed fight scene with darth maul you might come away believing they're better than they are, and there are a handful of other moments like that scattered about.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

watho posted:

I think the prequels suck rear end but I’d rather have people be nostalgic for them over people who are obsessed with the plinket reviews

I'd rather have nostalgia for the prequels than people making GBS threads bricks over TLJ

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Liking the prequels isn’t controversial these days since all the people who grew up with them are teenagers-people in their 20’s.

The memes helped a lot too

I saw this in CD too and I'm not sure why goons are insisting this is true. The Phantom Menace came out in 1999. Teenagers today either have the usual spread of opinions, got invested in Marvel movies or just don't care either way. The only real change I've seen with the younger crowd is that a lot of people like Anakin now because The Clone Wars show did a lot to round him out. The TV series shoring up the prequels has been the only real change.

Although, yeah I also haven't seen people reference the Plinkett reviews or really even hate on Phantom Menace outside of very nerdy spaces though.

CYBEReris posted:

like, if your only exposure to the prequels was the competently choreographed fight scene with darth maul you might come away believing they're better than they are, and there are a handful of other moments like that scattered about.

I was always interested in the stories of some supposedly great fan edits. I think it was Aston Kutcher (of all people's) edit that discarded almost all of The Phantom Menace, framing it more as the prologue where we get to see Obi-Wan lose his master and get stuck lost and alone trying to raise this kid. Framing the series around Obi-Wan's struggles seems like such an obvious move that I'm shocked he didn't go with it.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 22, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s true because I’ve talked to 21 year olds and they like the prequels.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

watho posted:

same, I kinda like Sith but Menace and Clones can eat my entire rear end out, but I'll take 'actually here's why those movies are good' over 'did ya hear about how they wanted to make Darth Vader a toy, totally unlike the original trilogies? Also a twenty minute ramble about lightsaber fights which can be summed up in 'I read the thing where Star Wars was inspired by an old samurai movie and assume that means all duels have to be samurai duels'.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
He should make like a 5 hour video on TLJ so those EFAP guys will make a 2 week response video to it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
TIL that apparently Jim Sterling is to thank for Big Chungus

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/1197668843923095552
https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/1197670198289084416

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Yeah Chungus is the name Jim uses a lot for videos where a character name is required.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Leal posted:

He should make like a 5 hour video on TLJ so those EFAP guys will make a 2 week response video to it

Maybe if you make a long enough review you can kill EFAP by forcing them to respond until their bodies give out?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuScIN4emyo

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Clerical Terrors posted:

Maybe if you make a long enough review you can kill EFAP by forcing them to respond until their bodies give out?

hi can we call the bad marathon videos people something new because every time ya'll say EFAP I get briefly excited that every frames a painting got the band back together and it's troubling for my heart to be let down that much

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

egg tats posted:

hi can we call the bad marathon videos people something new because every time ya'll say EFAP I get briefly excited that every frames a painting got the band back together and it's troubling for my heart to be let down that much

long looooooooooooooong
MAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sexpig by night posted:

same, I kinda like Sith but Menace and Clones can eat my entire rear end out, but I'll take 'actually here's why those movies are good' over 'did ya hear about how they wanted to make Darth Vader a toy, totally unlike the original trilogies? Also a twenty minute ramble about lightsaber fights which can be summed up in 'I read the thing where Star Wars was inspired by an old samurai movie and assume that means all duels have to be samurai duels'.

Those points about toyetic-ness and the lighsaber fights were both popularized by the Plinkett reviews. That was a big thing for a while in CineD and other Star Wars discussion areas right when the reviews were first coming out, just sort of watching them and parroting the nitpicks or stuff about frame construction/editing because the person discussing it didn't have any formal knowledge of film editing/writing/critical terms beyond their use in the reviews. I think it was big instigating point for people to turn around and argue they were good, just to mix up the shallow repetition for a while but eventually sincerely go for it. Other people never grew past them.

Rewatching the Plinkett stuff now though, you can really see how so much of the "film criticism" landscape on the internet took Ever Wrong Lesson from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I only saw Chungus when it was the character name Fiona/Achievement Hunter used for her uh, large, version of Bugs Bunny skin, in one of their Trouble in Terrorist Town games.