Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!
Whoops, my bad. I didn't consider it vital since it seemed a minor detail without context, but, uh, yeah :cripes:

I'm dumb. I'll be more considerate (in this thread and others) from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm absolutely in love with the sheer levels of sass being thrown around by everyone.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Shei-kun posted:

I'm absolutely in love with the sheer levels of sass being thrown around by everyone.

This game's sarcasm levels are off the charts. Everyone gets snide comments and witty remarks, or at least nearly everyone.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Hey y'all, you might've noticed gently caress all has happened in this thread for a few weeks!

To make a long story short, I got sick for a bit, had the dosage of one of my medications upped as a precaution so things don't get worse, and that then led to me getting hospitalized with acute kidney failure directly caused by that medication for like two weeks. Whoops.

Anyway, I'm back out of the hospital and while I'm still recovering, I should be starting to work on this again in the near future.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Don't sweat it, your health is more important than this. Hope you're doing fine now.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Hey y'all, you might've noticed gently caress all has happened in this thread for a few weeks!

To make a long story short, I got sick for a bit, had the dosage of one of my medications upped as a precaution so things don't get worse, and that then led to me getting hospitalized with acute kidney failure directly caused by that medication for like two weeks. Whoops.

Anyway, I'm back out of the hospital and while I'm still recovering, I should be starting to work on this again in the near future.

Holy poo poo dude, please get better that sounds like no joke.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

hold still while I install a sassy computer kidney

be sure to let it out when it wants

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

And we're officially back! This time, we're going to check out Matsushita Diner, hot on the trail of Ota Matsushita, who called in the screaming at Bloom Park, and then we'll see where that takes us.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Her love of insects is adorable. As is proper for any functioning sentient

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TheMcD posted:

My God, Ota, you suck.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Want to add some extra creep to Ota? He’s in his early 20’s. Also Ota and his mother are cartoony as hell compared to all the other characters we have met so far.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Mayumi is sweet but also radiates intense boomer energy...

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

mateo360 posted:

Want to add some extra creep to Ota? He’s in his early 20’s. Also Ota and his mother are cartoony as hell compared to all the other characters we have met so far.

The gently caress? I was guessing 12 from the video.

Can't really decide on what I think of the games treatment of creepyness. Sure, it is making fun of the player for gawking at at hitting on the idol-kid and the secretary, but it sure does a lot of it (or maybe just a lot of it in one scene).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

klafbang posted:

The gently caress? I was guessing 12 from the video.

Can't really decide on what I think of the games treatment of creepyness. Sure, it is making fun of the player for gawking at at hitting on the idol-kid and the secretary, but it sure does a lot of it (or maybe just a lot of it in one scene).

Nah, a 12-year old wouldn't be the "aspiring (read: unpublished and completely unknown) writer that's totally going to make it some day" or the "lusts after idols and white knights them on the Internet" type. That's definitely more of a late teens / early 20s thing.

Also, I might as well tell you now, this game has a lot of dirty humor going on. You may or may not be OK with how they continue to deal with the subject matter, but there's definitely not going to be less of it going forward.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ota... I'll fully admit, his introduction makes it incredibly hard for him to be liked, but I'll just say the vague-but-true "He ended up growing on me" to avoid the wrath of McD's Spoiler Hammer.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Just started episode three and... there's a lot going on in that room.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Cute little Easter egg I noticed: one of the images shown on the screen in the Lemniscate lobby is the scratch-off poster from Virtue's Last Reward.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

klafbang posted:

It's an Uchikoshi game. If it didn't have jokes about breasts I would be worried about the guy's health.

Also that twitter convo made me wanna punch Ota.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I think now's a good time to mention that Spike Chunsoft created an official youtube channel for A-set (with both a Japanese and English version) to promote the game, releasing "vlogs" weekly over the first half of 2019. I'm not going to link it here right now because the videos are full of minor spoilers (future locations, character backstory, etc) but it's not hard to find if you don't care about that. It even includes A-set LPing early parts of the game with Ota as a guest.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

whitehelm posted:

I think now's a good time to mention that Spike Chunsoft created an official youtube channel for A-set (with both a Japanese and English version) to promote the game, releasing "vlogs" weekly over the first half of 2019. I'm not going to link it here right now because the videos are full of minor spoilers (future locations, character backstory, etc) but it's not hard to find if you don't care about that. It even includes A-set LPing early parts of the game with Ota as a guest.

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do with that, because I haven't seen anything of that beyond a few bits, but apparently it was part of a whole ARG leading up to the release of the game and poo poo.

I figure it'd be for the best if we leave that whole stuff be for now and revisit it much later down the line - because if we look at it now, we'd just have to revisit it anyway to look back at it with the new knowledge we've gained throughout the game.

Capfalcon posted:

Just started episode three and... there's a lot going on in that room.

There is something to be said for Boss's idea of "we're so far underground it gets depressing, so I'm going to liven the poo poo out of my office as hard as I can". And boy, did she succeed.

Tau Wedel posted:

Cute little Easter egg I noticed: one of the images shown on the screen in the Lemniscate lobby is the scratch-off poster from Virtue's Last Reward.

Huh, I didn't notice that. I did notice a few more blatant Zero Escape easter eggs that show up later in the game, though. Uchi loves him some references.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Time for a new video! This time, we'll be dragging along an idol to a crime scene because she's blackmailing us, and things go from there.

Furthermore, as I mention at the end of the episode, I have a poll for you! Now, I would prefer it if you didn't answer this poll if you know why the choices are what they are - i.E. if you've already played this game.

Here's the poll!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aiba could have deleted A-set's video the whole time, but was too busy laughing.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 5, 2019

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hwurmp posted:

Aiba could have deleted A-set's video the whole time, but was too busy laughing.

I interpreted it more as even Aiba being powerless against the might of :yayclod: THE CLOUD :yayclod:, but that works as well.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That's...ominous. So Date might have been a murderer in the past, especially since he conveniently cannot remember his past.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Maybe left eyes are all evil and the murderer was protecting the world from demonic AIs. Destroy Aiba before it's too late Date!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

So we have the machine, and then we have The Machine.

I have no idea what the “mystery object” actually is but the angel line is probably just some kind of Evangelion shoutout.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
Ooookay, that certainly raised a lot of questions. Let me see here: Date knew Iris when she was a little kid, as shown both by his flashback after Iris gives her name and by Iris' remark that Date seems familiar. Given that, it makes sense that he also knew Hitomi and has been in their house before, as shown by his dream. That doesn't really give any clue as to how he knew them, though. The obvious possibility is that he's Iris' father (though he might be too young for that; I can't remember if Date's age has been mentioned), but there's really no way to tell yet. The contents of his dream is pretty interesting, too: after getting the door open, Aiba walked into the next room where she saw Hitomi lying dead on the floor and a man with a gun standing next to her. Hitomi is alive, obviously, but Date could very well be remembering an attack in which Hitomi lost the use of her right arm. I'm really not sure whether the man with the gun is Date or not, though. Perhaps Date remembered how he tried to kill Hitomi, or perhaps he remembered coming to the house and interrupting the would-be murderer.

What I'm most curious about is Hitomi's reaction to Date's arrival. If Date is still recognizable enough that Iris finds him familiar, then surely Hitomi should know exactly who he is. So what gives? Also, just throwing this out there: I'm guessing that "Kaname Date" is an entirely constructed identity and Date went by another name until six years ago, mostly because Uchikoshi loves characters with hidden identities.

One more thing that stood out to me: Kabasaki District was closed after an industrial accident eight years ago, which was before Date lost his memory. Might be an unimportant background detail, but maybe it'll come up again later.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, let's call the poll here.

Flying Balloons has been declared the preferred answer by the thread with 22 votes versus the 19 votes that Lifting Things gained.

I will be recording the next set of footage tomorrow and probably getting the next video out this week.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Short video this time so I can split the last part of saikAI from the actual Psync. So we'll just have a chat with Boss and Pewter, get ready for the Psync with Mizuki, and learn something about Pewter's preferences in more ways than one.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Short video this time so I can split the last part of saikAI from the actual Psync. So we'll just have a chat with Boss and Pewter, get ready for the Psync with Mizuki, and learn something about Pewter's preferences in more ways than one.

I'm listening to Date listing all the uses for Psync and all I can think of is "this poo poo is straight out of collective wet dreams of every dictator who ever lived".

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm sure we'll touch on aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalll the ways this can be abused at length at one point.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Aumanor posted:

I'm listening to Date listing all the uses for Psync and all I can think of is "this poo poo is straight out of collective wet dreams of every dictator who ever lived".

SSNeoman posted:

I'm sure we'll touch on aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalll the ways this can be abused at length at one point.

Well, it could be worse. We could still be in Root Double, where Senses Sympathy is less "we can poke around in your subconscious through pseudo-dreams and maybe find something" and more "we can read your mind, copy its entire contents perfectly and then rewrite your memories to whatever we want to". Now that's some dictator wet dream poo poo. Apart from the whole "if you do it too much, you eventually turn into a force of malice that turns everybody in range into a murder-crazed maniac" thing. But, y'know, eggs, omelettes, all that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video! This time, we're actually doing the Psync with Mizuki in an attempt to heal her and find something regarding that whole murder business. Also, as a direct result of the choices you've made, we get to experience one of the most unpleasant parts of the game! Yayifications!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:(

welp.

So uh...is this implying that Renju is blackmailing or somehow extorting Iris?

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

SSNeoman posted:

:(

welp.

So uh...is this implying that Renju is blackmailing or somehow extorting Iris?

Only if Mizuki was aware of it; it's her Somnium, after all.

Also the Iris in the dream looked pretty dead to me, so I suspect something substantially weirder is going on here.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TIMIE vs. JUNKER, which acronym is better

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
That's the sort of stuff that gets real life police sent to the shrink.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Pewter: "Date, go to the sync room."

Aiba: "Date, did you know that the sink room is generally the kitchen?"

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
so yeah, I went the other route first in my playthough. Also most of that Heavy stuff isn't any better hearing it a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Oh that was not a very fun time with memory dreams.