Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

HEY GUNS posted:

"merriment," "enjoying myself" (Εὐφροσύνος)
in the classical world, all moms are wine moms

Roman/ancient history: in the classical world, all moms are wine moms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

HEY GUNS posted:

"merriment," "enjoying myself" (Εὐφροσύνος)
in the classical world, all moms are wine moms

It's literally saying "I'm gay".

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Zopotantor posted:

Yeah, it's all Greek to me.

So that was Greek I'm guessing? I literally can't tell sadly :(

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
New show coming out soon, Domina.

10 part political series based on Licia Drussila.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/sky-sets-ancient-rome-drama-domina-isabella-rossellini-1256555?__twitter_impression=true

Hoping its gonna be good

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dalael posted:

New show coming out soon, Domina.

10 part political series based on Licia Drussila.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/sky-sets-ancient-rome-drama-domina-isabella-rossellini-1256555?__twitter_impression=true

Hoping its gonna be good

Odd lack of Augustus in that cast list

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I love how the article says she overcame adversity. Yeah, by killing everyone. I, Claudius painted her really dark in my mind.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

I love how the article says she overcame adversity. Yeah, by killing everyone. I, Claudius painted her really dark in my mind.

I just finished this book. No idea how accurate it is, but very entertaining. I liked her line, "I never forgot whose daughter I was."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bob A Feet posted:

"livia kills everyone" is a pretty lazy interpretation of events though, especially when you remember to read the contemporary accounts through the lens of the insanely misogynistic Romans who were writing it, and basically treat any woman with an amount of power as a wicked stepmother.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

WoodrowSkillson posted:

"livia kills everyone" is a pretty lazy interpretation of events though, especially when you remember to read the contemporary accounts through the lens of the insanely misogynistic Romans who were writing it, and basically treat any woman with an amount of power as a wicked stepmother.

Yeah well I just said my interpretation was based off an old book of historical fiction. So maybe just maybe that had something to do with it

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Grevling posted:

It's literally saying "I'm gay".

:getin:

unrelated but I liked this video about how the Roman army was reformed during and after the third century

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtQCfQmhdNU

This channel, Kings and Generals, has been putting out a lot of videos recently covering aspects of Roman history I hadn't read about before. It's been going much deeper than just summarizing battles.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah well I just said my interpretation was based off an old book of historical fiction. So maybe just maybe that had something to do with it

Could be worse. I once found a blog post by someone talking about the giant head-chopping machine from Caligula as an example of the extreme depravity and cruelty of the Roman elite and connecting it back to modern glorification of violence in media, while being frustrated at their inability to find historical sources on it. They took it for granted that it was real.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

chitoryu12 posted:

Could be worse. I once found a blog post by someone talking about the giant head-chopping machine from Caligula as an example of the extreme depravity and cruelty of the Roman elite and connecting it back to modern glorification of violence in media, while being frustrated at their inability to find historical sources on it. They took it for granted that it was real.

Whereas in reality, everyone knows that while the Romans invented a head-chopping machine, it was only used as a toy, because the ubiquity of slavery meant that enslaved executioners were cheaper.

There's a story that an inventor came to the Emperor with a head-chopping machine. After finding out that the inventor was the only one who knew how to make it, he ordered him beheaded because he was afraid that its introduction would lead to unemployment and social unrest.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Epicurius posted:

There's a story that an inventor came to the Emperor with a head-chopping machine. After finding out that the inventor was the only one who knew how to make it, he ordered him beheaded because he was afraid that its introduction would lead to unemployment and social unrest.

That emperor's name? Albert Einstein.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Epicurius posted:

Whereas in reality, everyone knows that while the Romans invented a head-chopping machine, it was only used as a toy, because the ubiquity of slavery meant that enslaved executioners were cheaper.

lol, but also I was thinking about the story (supposedly from Pliny, but I'm not going to check if he really described it) of the guy who discovered a new silvery metal and got executed by Tiberius to hide the secret of its manufacture again recently. If there is any truth to this story at all, which there probably isn't, but if there is, the metal is much more likely to have been zinc rather than aluminum.

This is because while neither metal was really understood in Pliny's time, zinc is relatively simple produce using classical technology, while producing aluminum would have been so difficult its hard to imagine any viable means for the Romans to obtain it. In fact Strabo gives a description of some kind of false silver precipitating on the walls of furnaces used to smelt copper which was normally discarded, and this false silver is almost certainly zinc. Zinc is often found in the same ores as copper, but its low vaporization temperature meant it usually just evaporated away or dissolved into the copper to make brass. To get the metal you have to cool the vapor so until it solidifies. Conceivably the unfortunate guy who thought he was about to impress Tiberius could have made his cup just by collecting the beads that formed accidentally.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Communist Walrus posted:

That emperor's name? Albert Einstein.
Jupiter was protecting the Senate and the People of Rome, and was thus occupied / Therefore he sent I, Todus Graecus of the praetorian guard, to smite you in your Dacian jaw.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nessus posted:

Jupiter was protecting the Senate and the People of Rome, and was thus occupied / Therefore he sent I, Todus Graecus of the praetorian guard, to smite you in your Dacian jaw.

:golfclap:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

WoodrowSkillson posted:

She's been dead for a thousand+ years. You're safe, she can''t kill you anymore. You can admit your true feelings.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Dalael posted:

So that was Greek I'm guessing? I literally can't tell sadly :(
yeah it's greek. i mean i want that on a t-shirt or something, that skeleton is chill as hell

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Palgrave-Macmillan is having a completely bonkers sale, selling their academic textbooks for 9.99 a pop: https://www.palgrave.com/gp/shop/cybermonday-sale?token=cyber19pal

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So which out of the 14 pages of environmental studies is appropriate for helping me teach environmental science?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
TIL from the History of English Podcast the exploits of alpha bro king Eadwig who flew too close to the sun:

quote:

Dunstan's Life alleges that on the banquet following the solemnity of his coronation at Kingston (Surrey), Eadwig left the table and retreated to his chamber to debauch himself with two women, an indecent noblewoman (quaedam, licet natione prćcelsa, inepta tamen mulier), later identified as Ćthelgifu, and her daughter of ripe age (adulta filia). They are said to have attached themselves to him "obviously in order to join and ally herself or else her daughter to him in lawful marriage.".[23] Shocked by Eadwig's unseemly withdrawal, the nobles sent Dunstan and Bishop Cynesige, who forcefully dragged the king back to the feast. For this act, Dunstan had incurred the enmity of the king, who sent him into exile at Ćthelgifu's instigation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86lfgifu,_wife_of_Eadwig#Marriage

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The British History podcast also covers the same event, except that the moral in this case is that you should never cross a bold anglo-saxon archbishop. The powerful, politically connected archbishops always seem to come on top in the end.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Siivola posted:

Palgrave-Macmillan is having a completely bonkers sale, selling their academic textbooks for 9.99 a pop: https://www.palgrave.com/gp/shop/cybermonday-sale?token=cyber19pal
Thanks for this, because I'm certain I'll buy something that I want to read and never get around to it, you know how it is, but I'm still stoked to have that opportunity :shobon:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Siivola posted:

I bring this up occasionally but just to restate it, if you or anyone is near to a major institution and can get access to the wifi/a computer (it probably varies but even a guest pass should work, and at least the places I've been you don't need to be in the library), a pretty staggering amount of academic books have been getting uploaded to JSTOR, Project Muse, the Cambridge University Press website*, and the like. Of what I've looked for that's been released in the past 2 decades, things that aren't available are actually in the minority, and it seems like every year more is getting put up. Access obviously varies a bit between institutions but I'm sure there's a lot to go on basically wherever, and if you're lucky like me and are near a bunch of huge ones you might find yourself with like 15 grand worth of academic books you didn't know you wanted.

You do have to download them chapter by chapter which is a pain in the rear end though.

*I haven't cross checked it comprehensively or anything, but as far as I know they've got literally all their monumental history series' up, which I would definitely recommend to basically everyone in this thread if you don't mind a bit of dense reading as a comprehensive introduction to probably most major fields of history.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Also, this is probably also old news to lots of you but I only just learned about it a month back and am kicking myself for having not known about it for longer--for those of you with iPhones and a lack of hatred for robot voices, check out Accessibility -> Spoken Content and turn on Speak Screen. Any PDF (like those you just downloaded from JSTOR!) can become an audiobook, and at least with Apple's Books app it saves your place and so on too. You might have to tweak the PDFs some,* but I've been really impressed with it, it doesn't garble the words nearly as much as I thought it would; even for Korean/Japanese/Chinese stuff, if you sort of know the words it's talking about, it's pretty easy to make sense of.

*books with substantial footnotes are probably gonna be confusing to listen to, and then stuff downloaded from the academic websites usually has footnotes on every page marking where it was downloaded from and so on, but that's relatively trivial to remove with Adobe Acrobat.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's a really good point, but I want to emphasize the sale is for all books – including the hardcover editions.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

LingcodKilla posted:

Well what does it say?

"doot"

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Does anyone know if there's a free online resource for the Roman legions? I'm dying to get to read the Complete Roman Legions but I'm boycotting amazon and can't afford shipping from other providers :anarchists:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
I know some of you like to make old recipies. Today someone whom.i follow on twitter tweeted this one. Thought id share for those braver than me.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Apicius/4*.html

https://twitter.com/SarahEBond/status/1199673380984807425?s=19

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I was listening to the Tides of History podcast several weeks ago, and paraphrasing, they were discussing how fractious the European kingdoms were. Like in a middle eastern or eastern kingdom, having your nobles war upon each other would represent a massive loss of legitimacy by the central government. But in Europe, that was routine, the status quo.

Therefore, does anyone have good examples of private wars fought by nobles within a kingdom like France? Something pithy that I can break out in a conversation?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

I was listening to the Tides of History podcast several weeks ago, and paraphrasing, they were discussing how fractious the European kingdoms were. Like in a middle eastern or eastern kingdom, having your nobles war upon each other would represent a massive loss of legitimacy by the central government. But in Europe, that was routine, the status quo.

Therefore, does anyone have good examples of private wars fought by nobles within a kingdom like France? Something pithy that I can break out in a conversation?

In Barbara Tuchman's book on France she mentioned a war between two noblewomen over a fief while their husbands were indisposed (one was captured by the English and the other killed by them).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Phobophilia posted:

The Armagnac–Burgundian Civil War is the big example, heavily intertwined with the Hundred Years War.

It most definitely did erode royal legitimacy though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
also arguably Literally Everything In The Holy Roman Empire, otoh there were long (, long, long) periods where the accepted opinion of the Emperor was "lol", so maybe that's more of a confirmation

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Phobophilia posted:

I mean, wasn't it still a loss of legitimacy in Europe? The feudal feuding wasn't really going on by the time some European monarchies started to get more autocratic, was it?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that I've read about some period of Chinese history where fiefdoms fought eachother despite being still subordinate to an emperor and federal government. There's also the Japanese warring states period, although that's more comprehensively a failure of the central government.

I can't for the life of me remember specific European examples of intra-state warfare though. I know I've read about HRE cities having fights with rural feudal lords over jurisdiction, and there's the ol' cases of lords getting their lands splintered upon the succession of the next generation and then the successors fighting over getting the whole pot. I guess there's also things like the Pazzi/Medici feud within the structures of the Republic of Florence, or heck, even the establishment of the Republic by the people of the city of Florence after they refused to accept the new Marquis of Tuscany, since that rebellion happened within the overall jurisdiction of the HRE, yet it didn't denote the illegitimacy of the whole empire.

Although the HRE and Italy had a very complex relationship in general, with weird jurisdictional issues and things like the Pope maybe being under imperial jurisdiction, although acting with de facto independence. And then bits of Italy individually decided whether they supported imperial or papal rule, which was the overall cause of the 1325 Bucket War between Bologna and Modena. And of course, that war also intersected with the Avignon Papacy, where the popes were heavily being influenced by French kings despite having theoretically no legal authority over the pope.

Maybe the entire medieval period in Europe was just one long series of failures of governmental legitimacy.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know that I've read about some period of Chinese history where fiefdoms fought eachother despite being still subordinate to an emperor and federal government. There's also the Japanese warring states period, although that's more comprehensively a failure of the central government.

That would be the Zhou Dynasty, within which was the Chinese Warring States period that the Japanese one was named for. :v:

By the Warring States part of the dynasty they were really only nominally subordinate though, the central government had failed halfway through the dynasty (although there were wars between fiefdoms while it was strong in the early part too). Also, it was only a king, not an emperor! The fiefdoms going and declaring themselves kings rather than dukes marked the final challenge to that centralized authority, and the Chinese title of emperor was created after unification to reassume a superior status in the hierarchy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, the Warring States, or the Three Kingdoms, when fiefs started declaring war on another, it was a sign that the emperor or shogun had lost legitimacy and that some upstart had an opportunity to fling himself to the top of the pile. Western kingdoms seemed to tolerate this kind of behavior more than in the East, it merely degraded legitimacy.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

GreyjoyBastard posted:

also arguably Literally Everything In The Holy Roman Empire, otoh there were long (, long, long) periods where the accepted opinion of the Emperor was "lol", so maybe that's more of a confirmation

:black101:Götz von Berlichingen:black101:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Dalael posted:

I know some of you like to make old recipies. Today someone whom.i follow on twitter tweeted this one. Thought id share for those braver than me.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Apicius/4*.html

https://twitter.com/SarahEBond/status/1199673380984807425?s=19

I don't understand how this is interesting if they're not using any of the vegetables that the original recipe could have been referring to (gourd, some kind of cucumber or melon?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Siivola posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks for this!

Excited to read about the transformation-versus-decline perspectives applied to the Muslim conquests in the Eastern Mediterranean.