Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Curious, is the lead-filled bat to be used for self-defense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

taqueso posted:

Curious, is the lead-filled bat to be used for self-defense?

No, it's going to be like 50 pounds, and therefore completely lacking in finesse. I would imagine it would also snap in half if you actually tried hitting something with it.

It's going to be more of a universal exercise tool. swing it in the back yard to stretch/exercise my shoulders, and chill it/lay on it for my back. I already do that with my wrench, but it's an odd shape and doesn't roll.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Oh, like shovelglove, cool. That sounds like a better use of a lead bat than I was envisioning.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Powershift posted:

I just watched a video on that, and holy poo poo i do not feel like sitting and sorting wheel weights. I've got 2 full home depot buckets to go through.

I'm filling a bat and making a ballast with the rest, so i can't imagine a little zinc getting in there would be too much trouble. I just want to be careful not to chemically brain myself here.

Yeah, in that case just melt what you got and pour. Zinc/lead alloy is only going to be problematic for casting bullets. Preheat your moulds, watch the gently caress out for water. DO NOT LET WATER NEAR MELTED LEAD EVER. (Unless you want molten metal all over yourself)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Frank Dillinger posted:

DO NOT LET WATER NEAR MELTED LEAD EVER. (Unless you want molten metal all over yourself)

Yeah it is not cool at all, wear eye/face protection. I got a lead splatter directly in my eye (except thankfully it was actually on the safety glasses in front of my eye) and I will never ever forget that poo poo!

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
For the Swedes / Nordics here. Jula now offers Quickjacks under their own brand at the same price as Biltema, but with wall socket connection instead of the 12 one Biltema has. Still no pinch weld blocks though.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MrOnBicycle posted:

For the Swedes / Nordics here. Jula now offers Quickjacks under their own brand at the same price as Biltema, but with wall socket connection instead of the 12 one Biltema has. Still no pinch weld blocks though.

Got a link for that?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
HF 15% off no exclusions

https://go.harborfreight.com/cpi/di...utm_name=iossmf

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

bolind posted:

Got a link for that?

https://www.jula.se/catalog/bil-och-garage/garage/lyftdon/universallyftar/portabel-billyft-009452/

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

15k IKEA-kopeks, hot drat! :D

I didn't realize until now that the Biltema model was to be connected to 12VDC, that's kinda dumb.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

bolind posted:

IKEApeks?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
^^^^ Swedish rubels.

bolind posted:

I didn't realize until now that the Biltema model was to be connected to 12VDC, that's kinda dumb.

It's actually not really a problem. Sure I'd like a mains one, but you can connect it to pretty much anything 12V, which I have in my garage.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm going to be looking anyway, but if anyone comes across a good black friday / cyber monday deal on a M12 fuel battery + ratchet, please post them here! Do I want to pay the extra for the extended reach version? Currently I always buy 1/2" sockets, but I think I'm going to pick up the 3/8" ratchet and just get some new sockets as needed.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Edit disregard I thought we were talking about impacts

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm plumbing in a 2nd discharge line for my sump pump. Last year it was so cold the 1.5" line froze going out to the storm sewer which made me become an expert in thawing the line (80' from the house) but it's a pain in the rear end. So I am pluming a discharge out to the side of the house which i can bypass to if necessary.

Question is this: What's a decent way to cut 1.5" Sch40 ABS (just under 2" OD)? I don't want to use a hacksaw and I really don't want to buy a specific pipe cutting tool for something I'll probably never need again... probably need to do 6-10 cuts I figure.

Is an oscillating saw reasonable? I could use my jig I suppose but it's kind of awkward.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I use a coping saw to cut PVC. I feel like a hacksaw would be good? Is there a reason you're against using it?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Just a handsaw is fine. I used a hand miter saw since it only cuts on one stroke and gives a nice clean cut.

Edit: hell I'd use a Sawzall if I was outside.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I guess I could use a hacksaw or some other handsaw, more concerned with keeping it straight but I guess that's potentially a problem with any hand tool. :/

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I do all my PVC (ABS should work the same) cuts that large on the electric miter saw in my garage and then spend about two seconds cleaning up the cut with a file or sandpaper.

If you start doing plastic pipe too large for a miter saw, use a table saw and roll the pipe until you get all the way around. At least if you are doing a short enough section that you can hold it against the rip fence, that is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hacksaw and a mitre box

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-mitre-box-0577450p.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sawzall, the edge of my deck and my knee.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Sawzall, the edge of my deck and my knee.

combination pipe cutting, knee surgery, and deck staining. That's multi-tasking.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Maybe clotted blood protects as well as poly. Only one way to find out...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

slidebite posted:

I guess I could use a hacksaw or some other handsaw, more concerned with keeping it straight but I guess that's potentially a problem with any hand tool. :/

I've don't plenty of not straight cuts in PVC piping with no issues. It's very forgiving. Takes like ten seconds with a hacksaw.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh my God I'm such a moron. I have a sliding compound mitre saw. Duh.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FWIW, oscillating saw works real well on PVC, and can be really handy in an awkward spot.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

You can use anything to cut pvc. The important part is to make sure it doesn't vibrate and flex while you cut it, so it doesn't shatter.

Especially if its a stub out coming out of a concrete slab. Trust me on this one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's not PVC, it's sched 40 ABS but yeah, I think I'll just fire up that miter saw (maybe even softer?) I might try my oscillating cutter just to see how it works though.

Thanks for helping someone who apparently has borderline alzheimers. :v:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 26, 2019

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I aspire to one day have so many tools I forget which ones I have :v:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

slidebite posted:

It's not PVC, it's sched 40 ABS but yeah, I think I'll just fire up that miter saw (maybe even softer?) I might try my oscillating cutter just to see how it works though.

Thanks for helping someone who apparently has borderline alzheimers. :v:

Also if you're gluing it together, you don't need to worry about how straight your cut is, it'll go in and set just fine even if it's off. And hold at twice the rated pressure... Less so if you're just using ferncos.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MRC48B posted:

You can use anything to cut pvc. The important part is to make sure it doesn't vibrate and flex while you cut it, so it doesn't shatter.

Especially if its a stub out coming out of a concrete slab. Trust me on this one.

Thanks for this, as I am going to be cutting PVC down soon that the pavers ran in my new asphalt driveway and left it sticking up about a foot too high. Could easily see myself doing that and ruining my day.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

This is the best tool for up to 2" SCH80 PVC though. They're a dream to use.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Plumbing-Installation/Copper-and-PVC-Cutters/2470-20

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Also just the ratcheting hand powered version of PVC cutters are super smooth to use

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Astonishing Wang posted:

Also just the ratcheting hand powered version of PVC cutters are super smooth to use

Whaaat? I have a set of those that I've only used for soft tubing (i.e. clear vinyl tubing). Had no idea it could be used for PVC.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've got some super cheap Harbor Freight PVC cutters that work pretty well for what I paid for them. Much cleaner than using a saw.

https://www.harborfreight.com/finger-release-ratcheting-pvc-cutter-62588.html

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLtBHDaZ_ig

Cleetus' Black Friday thing is... giving away 10mm sockets with every order.

loving brilliant.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Costco uk has the 5000lbs quikjack thing for £1k Inc. VAT.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure if that's a good deal in Boris units, but the product itself is pretty solid.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Not sure if that's a good deal in Boris units, but the product itself is pretty solid.

They'll probably be able to exchange the steel for healthcare at some point in the near future, so a solid buy.

My quickjack is still sitting in the boxes by my front door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I just wish I could get my rear end in gear and swallow the $$$ for the pinch weld blocks. Plus they are always out of stock in € countries.