Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Lighthouse 2.0 allows you to have more than two base stations which eliminates more blindspots. They were supposed to be cheaper too, but that never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Man I'm going to have to stop reading about HL:A. I mean, I want to know everything about the game, but there are so many dumb motherfuckers out there spreading complete poo poo about VR. I hate feeling all console warriory, just stfu and let people enjoy things nerds.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

homeless snail posted:

Index controllers are definitely the best you can get, better than Touch. They're just pricy

Disagree on this as a guy that went from Touch to Index. They're basically the next best, but Touch 1.0 was perfect for actual gaming poo poo, they were crazy responsive and felt great.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hardware question.

I fell completely backwards into a Dell Precision 3630 with an i7-8700K and a Quadro P1000 in it. For VR I currently have a custom built system with a Ryzen 5 2600x and a 1080ti. Knowing that I can move the RAM over and all other stuff, is there any reason I shouldn't find a way to get my 1080ti into that Dell machine? The i7 seems to be a good bit better than the R5 for gaming, and there are a lot of things that get CPU intensive in VR and require good IPC and single-core performance (Looking at you Rec Room and iracing).

Thoughts?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zaphod42 posted:

If I already have VIVE tracking stations, is there any reason to get the new Index ones?

I guess if I want to be able to sell my VIVE or give it to a friend then I should... although you can always buy them a la carte for the same price so maybe I'll just buy the headset and controllers for now.

I went from the original Vive to the Index and kept my original Lighthouses. I still have my original Vive too because now what am I supposed to do with it as I'm keeping the lighthouses? I thought maybe I could use the Vive wands and FOR foot tracking but that's ultragimmick zone.
Just keep your original Lighthouses. They are exactly in the same place they were when I installed them.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 21, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enos Cabell posted:

Man I'm going to have to stop reading about HL:A. I mean, I want to know everything about the game, but there are so many dumb motherfuckers out there spreading complete poo poo about VR. I hate feeling all console warriory, just stfu and let people enjoy things nerds.

Honesty it is getting really frustrating. The condescending tone with the blatant misinformation is the loving worst, and you see so much of it. I get it if it’s not your thing, motion sickness or fatigue or whatever, but like, don’t loving lie to people.

I saved up to get my Rift CV1 and my Rift S. They’re loving incredible pieces of hardware. I’m sad not everybody has one, but like, you don’t gotta flip out because of “evangelists” or whatever else crap you’ve seen this week.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah that's true, I'm pretty sure they were talking about vs Touch controllers as being the superior option.

VIVE controllers seem the worst, although perfectly serviceable and accurate. They're just too bulky.

I wonder how Touch + the grip with elastic bands mods that I've seen some people use so they are 'tied' to your hand compare against the Index controllers.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder how Touch + the grip with elastic bands mods that I've seen some people use so they are 'tied' to your hand compare against the Index controllers.

Wouldn't hurt to try, not having to hold on to the wands was the biggest thing I liked about the Knuckles. Beyond that though the position your hands have on the Knuckles vs. the Vive wands is also a pretty big deal.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Index controllers look great to me, although I know somebody (was it Shine?) was saying they hated not having a button you could just click and it was basically a dealbreaker for them on the index controllers as a result since some actions were inconsistent.
I don't understand what this means. The Index controllers have several buttons you can click?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I went from the original Vive to the Index and kept my original Lighthouses. I still have my original Vive too because now what am I supposed to do with it as I'm keeping the lighthouses? I thought maybe I could use the Vive wands and foot tracking but that's ultragimmick zone.
Just keep your original Lighthouses. They are exactly in the same place they were when I installed them.

You did it backwards, mang

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

TACD posted:

I don't understand what this means. The Index controllers have several buttons you can click?
Probably means that there's no grip button like on the Touch controllers.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hardware question.

I fell completely backwards into a Dell Precision 3630 with an i7-8700K and a Quadro P1000 in it. For VR I currently have a custom built system with a Ryzen 5 2600x and a 1080ti. Knowing that I can move the RAM over and all other stuff, is there any reason I shouldn't find a way to get my 1080ti into that Dell machine? The i7 seems to be a good bit better than the R5 for gaming, and there are a lot of things that get CPU intensive in VR and require good IPC and single-core performance (Looking at you Rec Room and iracing).

Thoughts?

Seems worth a shot. VR definitely puts a bigger load on CPU than normal games. Although I guess SPS helps mitigate that, but still.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fuzz posted:

You did it backwards, mang

I meant use the Vive wands as foot trackers IN ADDITION to using the Index controllers. The controllers were always a thing I wanted, even if I didn't get the headset.

Cicero posted:

Probably means that there's no grip button like on the Touch controllers.

The haptic feedback of gripping hard works decently enough imho.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
With the Vive Wireless Adapter, would it be possible to put a Thunderbolt card in my PC, use a Corning fiber-optic cable to run through the floor into my basement, up into the next room, into a PCIe enclosure mounted on the wall, and put the WiGig card in the enclosure?

Corning hasn't quite put out the TB 3.0 version of their cable yet so it would probably be TB 2.0 throughout.

Any foreseeable bandwidth/latency problems there?

Would be cool to use my gaming PC but have the next room completely empty as a play space.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TACD posted:

I don't have one yet but as I understand it, the Index controllers merely sense the presence of your fingers. As there's no tactile feedback, sometimes you touch it and it senses your finger is there but sometimes you touch it and it doesn't quite make the right contact or something. If you have a button you can push that goes "click" then whenever you wanna do something you click it, and it always works unless the button breaks.

Honestly I really hate tactile buttons in general, like on the PS4 or PS3. I much prefer having an actual physical button I can feel.

But I also understand Index was going for something where you just kinda grab and let go of objects and it feels more natural than pushing buttons. I can see the design of both, and I think even with the complaints people were saying the Index controllers were still really great, just that for some types of gameplay it isn't as reliable and so can be frustrating.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Paul MaudDib posted:

With the Vive Wireless Adapter, would it be possible to put a Thunderbolt card in my PC, use a Corning fiber-optic cable to run through the floor into my basement, up into the next room, into a PCIe enclosure mounted on the wall, and put the WiGig card in the enclosure?

Corning hasn't quite put out the TB 3.0 version of their cable yet so it would probably be TB 2.0 throughout.

Any foreseeable bandwidth/latency problems there?

Would be cool to use my gaming PC but have the next room completely empty as a play space.

You could get the wireless cable thingy extension cable thing. Bout it.

https://amzn.to/2O847Kx

Pretty sure thats about as extra as you can go without losing signal?

Turin Turambar posted:

Someone was asking for a recommendation or w/e for them.
https://amzn.to/3493ExB

Roommate got those. They work pretty good if you dont need boosters for knuckles (Regular hands basically). They also make the battery door tighter because of the way the grip thing goes in. She likes em, I hate em. I also hated my mamut grips and everyone loved those I showed them too so theres that.

KakerMix posted:

I went from the original Vive to the Index and kept my original Lighthouses. I still have my original Vive too because now what am I supposed to do with it as I'm keeping the lighthouses? I thought maybe I could use the Vive wands and FOR foot tracking but that's ultragimmick zone.

I use my wands still for pistol whip and a few other games where knuckles are really pointless.

Fuzz posted:

Disagree on this as a guy that went from Touch to Index. They're basically the next best, but Touch 1.0 was perfect for actual gaming poo poo, they were crazy responsive and felt great.

Also agree with you here. Touch was just 'Better feeling'.

Yeah my knuckles are cool but eh, touch > knuckles for general use.

Enos Cabell posted:

gently caress em. Bathe in the salty tears.

Cojawfee posted:

Lighthouse 2.0 allows you to have more than two base stations which eliminates more blindspots. They were supposed to be cheaper too, but that never happened.

I run 3. Tracking is basically unbreakable outside of edge random flukes. Waiting on a 4th. Itll be stupid with 4. You should see how big the estimated playspace is with 3, basically my entire house if i could tear all the walls down. Totally insane.

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't have one yet but as I understand it, the Index controllers merely sense the presence of your fingers. As there's no tactile feedback, sometimes you touch it and it senses your finger is there but sometimes you touch it and it doesn't quite make the right contact or something. If you have a button you can push that goes "click" then whenever you wanna do something you click it, and it always works unless the button breaks.

Honestly I really hate tactile buttons in general, like on the PS4 or PS3. I much prefer having an actual physical button I can feel.

But I also understand Index was going for something where you just kinda grab and let go of objects and it feels more natural than pushing buttons. I can see the design of both, and I think even with the complaints people were saying the Index controllers were still really great, just that for some types of gameplay it isn't as reliable and so can be frustrating.

If the game handles it right, its fine. I've found a few games though where I barely let a finger go off the grips and gun goes to the ground or it ends up in my forward hand only.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

it's Valve, they'll give in eventually

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Is echo combat worth the 10bux or is echo arena good enough?

Tried out Echo VR through link last night and it’s absolutely incredible, even if I haven’t got past the intro yet. Also Minecraft on the quest is neat. Got to see the base me and my fellow 30 year old buds built over the last 6 months and it was very cool to see it at scale.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

App13 posted:

Is echo combat worth the 10bux or is echo arena good enough?

Tried out Echo VR through link last night and it’s absolutely incredible, even if I haven’t got past the intro yet. Also Minecraft on the quest is neat. Got to see the base me and my fellow 30 year old buds built over the last 6 months and it was very cool to see it at scale.

Combat is kind of dying slowly, but I still think it's worth the 10 bucks. You can go to the Combat area, there's a spot where you can mess around and shoot other people and try out the mechanics to see if you like it or not. It's very much its own thing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I meant use the Vive wands as foot trackers IN ADDITION to using the Index controllers. The controllers were always a thing I wanted, even if I didn't get the headset.

Don't the wands still work with lighthouse 2.0s?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Zaphod42 posted:

Tactile buttons literally mean the kind you can feel, so your message is getting garbled. Do you mean, like, analog versus digital buttons? Capacitive, like the touchpad on the PS4? Haptic fakery like a phone?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Vive Wireless Adapter uses a PCIe 1x interface. It doesn't specify a revision, but the minimum spec CPUs would be expected to support 3.0 and full utilization of the 7gbit/sec capacity of WiGig would require it, so that may be an unspoken requirement as well.

Bandwidth-wise Thunderbolt 2 can provide four lanes of PCIe 2.0 which is more than enough, the question would be if the wireless adapter needs 3.0 are any of the enclosures on the market capable of converting two lanes of TB2 in to one lane of PCIe 3. If the adapter can work on PCIe 2.0 then it should work just fine in theory (though Thunderbolt tends to bring some new quirks to the picture even where it should be straightforward, especially on Windows).

IIRC there is a slight latency increase, but we're talking within the context of PCIe levels of latency so I'm not sure how much it matters in the context of a video stream. GPUs tend to take a ~20% performance hit in TB enclosures but I haven't yet found a comparison that limits the PCIe lanes when in the desktop so I don't know if that's Thunderbolt or just the limited bandwidth compared to an x16 slot in play.

Fuzz posted:

No. The 2.0 equipment works with 1.0 lighthouses, but 1.0 equipment does not understand 2.0 lighthouses. The way they sync up was changed in an attempt to make the base stations cheaper and to allow for more than two base stations to operate at the same time, but that required new smarts in the receiver hardware.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 21, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fuzz posted:

No. Newer devices work with the old lighthouse, older devices do not work with 2.0. Unless something changed.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
HL:A looks like extremely my poo poo, very excited. Here's hoping it runs well on a CV1 and a 1070 so I can string my hardware a little longer.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Lemming posted:

Yeah the Vive wands are terrible, I think those comments are in the context of Index controllers vs Touch controllers which is a much smaller gap.

Not really in my opinion. Touch wands still feel like I am using a controller whereas Index feels totally integrated. I get that touch controllers are 1000% better than vive wands but index are 1000x better than touch.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
That there is debate about what is better, OG Touch controllers or the Index Knuckles really says it all. They are both a hell of a lot better than the Vive wands :v:

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

KakerMix posted:

That there is debate about what is better, OG Touch controllers or the Index Knuckles really says it all. They are both a hell of a lot better than the Vive wands :v:

Ehhh I view it as sunk cost or change is scary type arguments. The index controllers are really really weird at first. Its hard to train your brain to "let go" of the controller. But once you adapt other controllers just feel like controllers, where as this is just an extension of my hand.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
drat just pulled the trigger on a rift s last night, now I'm reading that hand tracking is only planned for the quest. probably shoulda popped into this thread first.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I was the one ranting about the Index controllers, yes. It was in the previous thread. I would take the Touch controllers over them in a heartbeat if they were Lighthouse compatible.

Basically, the finger sensing stuff is largely a gimmick because VR games are all designed to work with Touch/Vive as well, so other than making hand gestures in poker games or whatever, there's really no gameplay purpose to it. And it doesn't work well for, say, communicating in ASL (the first thing my wife tried) because it doesn't detect if your extended fingers are touching each other or not. For a pop culture example, you can't do the Spock "live long and prosper" thing and have the Index mirror what your fingers are doing.

In games, the convenience of not having to hold the controllers is hampered by the requirement to remove your fingers when throwing things, which means the controller will shift around a lot if you throw something hard, such as in Echo Arena. You can mitigate this by strapping them super tight, but that's really uncomfortable, and they'll still shift enough that it makes me think about what they are doing on my hand, versus the Touch, which were secured by my ring/pinky fingers at all times and I would throw that disc as hard as I could without thinking about what the controller was doing. Ironically, the more "gamey" Touch controllers were more immersive for me, because they just disappeared into my hands and I didn't think about them or worry that they would slip around.

Index is fine (actually, great) for gentle throws, like tossing mags into the trash in H3VR, but I've all but stopped playing Echo Arena, because I'll basically have to use the trigger as grip and the grip as trigger, which means rewiring a lot of muscle memory. If anybody ever figures out a way to have only the middle finger sensor be used for grip, so that my ring/pinky fingers can just grip at all times like Touch, that'd be nice for games like Echo.

I also had to buy some 3D printed palm boosters to make them comfortable for more than like 20 minutes, and they're still not ideal. I have pretty large hands, but that wasn't a problem for Touch, which I could easily hold for hours on end.

Basically, the Index headset is stellar (and I play a lot of racing/flight sims where the controllers aren't used), but the controllers are a step down from Touch unless I wanna flip somebody off.

Shine fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 16, 2020

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
gently caress yes new Half-Life. And it's going to be a full game.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

It's funny, all I ever wanted was more half life, and in VR is even better. I never even considered having to fight headcrabs in VR until seeing the trailer and it gave me a sense of overwhelming dread.
We don't go to Ravenholm...

I barely made it through that segment on flatscreen, and if memory serves I had to have my brother sitting in the room with me when I did lol.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Considering he's dead it's understandable.
:( That really sucks. He had an incredibly characterful voice. It's going to take a lot to sell me on the new Eli..

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

drat just pulled the trigger on a rift s last night, now I'm reading that hand tracking is only planned for the quest. probably shoulda popped into this thread first.
Have they actually confirmed hand tracking isn't coming to Rift S? Don't quite understand why that would be the case. There's cross-buy between the two platforms on a bunch of games too. Also in any case I reckon hand tracking is unlikely to be put to much use in many games.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Skyarb posted:

Ehhh I view it as sunk cost or change is scary type arguments. The index controllers are really really weird at first. Its hard to train your brain to "let go" of the controller. But once you adapt other controllers just feel like controllers, where as this is just an extension of my hand.

I absolutely adore the Index Knuckles so I'm with you there, but it isn't fair for me to compare them to the Touch controllers because I haven't ever used them. I know people say the original Touch controllers are better than the nu-Touch controllers on the Rift S, but like I said, no personal experience with them. The debate between the two being even for each set means they are both pretty dang good.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Can you not cancel the order?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

El Grillo posted:

Have they actually confirmed hand tracking isn't coming to Rift S? Don't quite understand why that would be the case. There's cross-buy between the two platforms on a bunch of games too. Also in any case I reckon hand tracking is unlikely to be put to much use in many games.

I agree with you but also I have doubts since I heard that Oculus wanted to focus on mobile VR moving forward, also the Rift S is outsourced to Lenovo, tho I have only really been looking at VR info the past few days so I could just have my facts wrong.

spacetoaster posted:

Can you not cancel the order?

Naw It already shipped I would have to return it, which isn't a huge problem, The S seemed like it had a nicer head strap system than the Quest and I could take or leave the mobile aspect. I didn't really wanna deal with usb cable/length compatibility and reduced PCVR quality vs the rift, but I'm seeing a lot of people saying it's just as good.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 21, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Keep the Rift S, it’s a great headset. Hand tracking isn’t going to end up being much of anything.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Taintrunner posted:

Keep the Rift S, it’s a great headset. Hand tracking isn’t going to end up being much of anything.

I have my doubts on that. The hero headset of Alyx is obviously going to be the Index.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wolrah posted:

The Vive Wireless Adapter uses a PCIe 1x interface. It doesn't specify a revision, but the minimum spec CPUs would be expected to support 3.0 and full utilization of the 7gbit/sec capacity of WiGig would require it, so that may be an unspoken requirement as well.

Bandwidth-wise Thunderbolt 2 can provide four lanes of PCIe 2.0 which is more than enough, the question would be if the wireless adapter needs 3.0 are any of the enclosures on the market capable of converting two lanes of TB2 in to one lane of PCIe 3. If the adapter can work on PCIe 2.0 then it should work just fine in theory (though Thunderbolt tends to bring some new quirks to the picture even where it should be straightforward, especially on Windows).

IIRC there is a slight latency increase, but we're talking within the context of PCIe levels of latency so I'm not sure how much it matters in the context of a video stream. GPUs tend to take a ~20% performance hit in TB enclosures but I haven't yet found a comparison that limits the PCIe lanes when in the desktop so I don't know if that's Thunderbolt or just the limited bandwidth compared to an x16 slot in play.

Good point. What I'm hearing here is that I would need a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure with a PLX switch chip (i.e. an enclosure that supports multiple slots) that claims PCIe 3.0 support for its devices. Looks like they exist but are pricey. Would need the last option on the list (two slots, TB2)

edit: or this one should work too

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 21, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I agree with you but also I have doubts since I heard that Oculus wanted to focus on mobile VR moving forward, also the Rift S is outsourced to Lenovo, tho I have only really been looking at VR info the past few days so I could just have my facts wrong.

What are you taking this to mean? The most we have is Oculus said they "partnered" with them, but it's clearly using all their technology (screens, tracking solution, lenses).

From what I understand the distinction is that they're using dedicated hardware on the Quest to do the hand tracking (the same chip that's doing the tracking I think), and that's probably going to require more effort to duplicate on the S since that's driven entirely by the computer. I don't know what the latest word is, whether it's "never" or "maybe."

Edit: hand tracking is also mostly only going to be good for non-gaming things like media consumption and that sort of thing. Controller are gonna be way better for gaming which the S is more geared to, exclusively. You aren't gonna lie in bed and watch TV on the ceiling in an S, for example.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

While I haven't used the Quest, I bought a Rift S not too long ago (month and a half ish?) and I have zero qualms with it. It's a drat good headset (in my admittedly limited experience).

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Lemming posted:

What are you taking this to mean? The most we have is Oculus said they "partnered" with them, but it's clearly using all their technology (screens, tracking solution, lenses).

From what I understand the distinction is that they're using dedicated hardware on the Quest to do the hand tracking (the same chip that's doing the tracking I think), and that's probably going to require more effort to duplicate on the S since that's driven entirely by the computer. I don't know what the latest word is, whether it's "never" or "maybe."

The camera arrangement on the Quest also seems to be key (four cameras on the front at angles vs. two front, two side, one top for the Rift S), given repeatedly hand tracking is lost anytime your hands aren't in full view of all four cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

It's probably just decision remorse, just reading the OP with Rift S crossed out in the categories 3 times was a bit disheartening.